Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Two questions, is it guesso, or jesso? Also what kind of paint is GW stuff, acrylic, oil, water, tears of an orphan child?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Gesso, Acrylic

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

SumYungGui posted:

Two questions, is it guesso, or jesso? Also what kind of paint is GW stuff, acrylic, oil, water, tears of an orphan child?

pronounced GHESS-o, if that's what you were asking.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

SumYungGui posted:

jesso

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I went into an art store and got a confused look when I said GUESS-O. That combined with watching some Bob Ross (who primes his canvas using gesso) taught me that the correct way to say it was JESS-O.

I spray prime now, so I don't care though!

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.
Again, I know this has probably been asked before, but I didn't see it.

What do I need to look for when buying a hobby drill for pinning Metal figures? In Nashville, my only option for a place to buy this stuff is Hobby Lobby, and they have the following models:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/pin-vice-with-5-drill-bits-858498/

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/forster-hand-drill-for-wood-with-3-bits-756213/

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/12-mini-drills-with-pine-vise-453357/

What size bits should I make sure they have to work with the standard sized brass rods? I imagine the Testors one will do the job, I just wanted to make sure so I only have to drive out to Brentwood once.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I personally got the Citadel Pin Vice and the little rubber knob at the end that sits in your palm and lets you just twirl the drill with your fingers is heavenly. It comes with a half dozen or so drill bits for paper clip-sized pinning, too. None of the ones you linked have the little rubber knob, which I think is going to lead to many a hand cramp for you. :x

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I found a pin vise that has a really long neck on it that is a twisted metal bar which spirals into and out of the handle turning the drill bit for you. It's a lot like one of the old fashioned metal tops. All you do is push down using your entire hand and arm and it does the drilling for you, meanwhile you're not working on carpal tunnel syndrome and pushing down applies pressure to where you're drilling. It's an amazing find and if you can get one I can't recommend it enough.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
This one is my favorite:
http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=261

Also you can't really go wrong with the GW one either.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Bobx66 posted:

This one is my favorite:
http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=261

Also you can't really go wrong with the GW one either.

The GW one doesn't hurt my palm after pinning metal models for hours. That's why I would recommend it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I use this. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=41753&cat=1,180,42337&ap=1

All the bits go into a plastic tube inside the handle, it's pretty convenient. Only problem I have is the really fine bits want to fall through the sides of the chuck, so swapping between barrel-drilling and pinning holes can be a pain.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

I'd recommend the P3 model, but the GW one is a close second.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Okay, so I have a Valkyrie that I've just put the first base-coat on and I'm trying to think of what kind of design to put on the wings. The design would be in orange and/or white. The Valkyrie must fit my dark blue with orange highlights color scheme I have for my army.

Any ideas or tips on how to accomplish this and have it not look like rear end?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Since today was WINTER KILLSTORM 2.0 or whatever, I wasn't exactly going to go out and game or, well, do much of anything outside my house. As a result I figured I may as well paint the Leman Russ that's been sitting in a cabinet for three years!

How I began around 4pm (after some basecoating):

And how I finished around 8:30:

And I figured I'd take a few with his buddies:

The lenses on the bottom of the tank are some of the best lenses I've ever painted, if not THE best. I like painting lenses. The tarp that's tied onto the track guard was basically a test to see if I'd like that color/technique for my Steel Legion, and I do! Any of you guys get much painting done on the snowday?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

SRM posted:

Tanks are looking good! The only thing I might suggest is to put some decals/unit markings on them, to give them a bit of character, but that's just a personal aesthetic preference on my part. They're definitely top-notch in my book. :)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I wanted to do sidestripes on the front kind of like this on the one I painted today:

But I glued the heavy bolters in place when I built this tank like 3 years ago, and they're really in the way. I have a Vanquisher coming from a trade though, and I'm going to make sure that one's got some identifying marks since I'll use it as my squadron commander if I ever play Spearhead or whatever.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My ribbing you aside SRM, tanks are looking good.

Did this terrain real quick tonight:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Master Twig posted:

Okay, so I have a Valkyrie that I've just put the first base-coat on and I'm trying to think of what kind of design to put on the wings. The design would be in orange and/or white. The Valkyrie must fit my dark blue with orange highlights color scheme I have for my army.

Any ideas or tips on how to accomplish this and have it not look like rear end?

maybe a running, white horse with an orange mane

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

I use one of these to do pinning.

You've got to be a little careful about drilling holes in your hand, and metal starts to get hot enough to burn your fingers after a couple of seconds, but it does make a nice noise and is certainly fast.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Finished my ratman so he will be on ebay soon, Doomwheel will be finished next:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fyrbrand posted:

This made me :awesome:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

headlor posted:

I use one of these to do pinning.

You've got to be a little careful about drilling holes in your hand, and metal starts to get hot enough to burn your fingers after a couple of seconds, but it does make a nice noise and is certainly fast.

Have you had to deal with accidentally angling the hole or whatnot? I could see this making it way too easy to mis-drill the hole.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

maybe a running, white horse with an orange mane

You mean something along the lines of this?

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Have you had to deal with accidentally angling the hole or whatnot? I could see this making it way too easy to mis-drill the hole.

Yeah absolutely, dead easy to do. Just takes a bit of care. Though honestly I don't balls up holes any more often using that than I did when I just used a hand thing.

Bonus is that you can drill holes in hands-holding-hammers, let go of the actual model bit and have a tiny whirling hammer.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
How about a massive version of the Imperial Eagle, spread across the wings? Look at Fyrbrand's terrain, look at Master Twig's Valkyrie top. They're made for each other.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fyrbrand posted:

That looks boss, not gonna lie.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Shockeh posted:

How about a massive version of the Imperial Eagle, spread across the wings? Look at Fyrbrand's terrain, look at Master Twig's Valkyrie top. They're made for each other.

You forgot Fix's Sisters with the imperial eagle on his rhinos.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Dwarf Lord from the oath thread:

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.

Bachtere posted:

Wow that is stunning. I love the depth of shadow in the NMMs!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Grandpa Pap posted:

While browsing around Warseer, I found what I thought was a very awesome BA Sanguinary Priest. I'm totally ripping this off when I start up a BA army. :v:

This guy have a thread or gallery you can link to? I'm 90% sure I know this dude.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Bachtere posted:

For me, the best part of this model is that the face is painted like an iron mask. Adds this brooding, merciless look to it. Honestly, this is the best work I've seen from you so far.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sole.Sushi posted:

For me, the best part of this model is that the face is painted like an iron mask. Adds this brooding, merciless look to it. Honestly, this is the best work I've seen from you so far.

That actually is a mask :ssh:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Are Dwarfs still lovely in 8th?

e Sorry I will take this to the WHFB thread. Cool Dwarf man.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So through a complex, years-spanning trade, I got back a bunch of Steel Legion I painted when I was like 15. Naturally I stripped 'em and decided to add them to my Guard army. Here's the heavy bolter teams, which were used as a test scheme:

And what I've got left:

I'm real happy with how the coats came out, aside from some ugly pooling. I'll make sure to keep my washes under better control when I work on the rest of Armageddon's finest.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

adamantium|wang posted:

This guy have a thread or gallery you can link to? I'm 90% sure I know this dude.

Should be the thread here, by poster Ancient God. I think they crossposted it over to B&C, too. It's really top-notch work IMO. :)

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Ah, not my guy :( He paints unbelievably crisp Blood Angels too, which shows you don't need to weather the hell out of everything to make it look good. Thanks though man.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

What colour should I do the aquilas? I'd rather not generic white ones.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

What colour should I do the aquilas? I'd rather not generic white ones.

Deneb stone, Devlin mud wash? If you don't want anything remotely close to white, shining gold with gryphone sepia wash. I think the former would look better than the latter, personally.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bachtere posted:

This owns owns owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Bachtere posted:

Brilliant, best Dwarf I have seen in a while.

• Locked thread