Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?
Got my sandy bridge system up and running: holy hell, it is fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Received the package today, opened it and goddamn, they sent me i7-2600 instead of 2600k. Now to wait another week for proper CPU to arrive :argh:

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
What is with Intel and their bullshit 4 twist pin cooler mounting? It's like the designers are high functioning retards. I mean that in all seriousness, if one of you Intel goons are the designer or know the designer, gently caress you, they are the worst.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Okay, sticking with 4.7GHz at 1.375V. I guess it could be worse, but I'll have to wait for Ivy Bridge for 5 GHz. :(

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

marketingman posted:

What is with Intel and their bullshit 4 twist pin cooler mounting? It's like the designers are high functioning retards. I mean that in all seriousness, if one of you Intel goons are the designer or know the designer, gently caress you, they are the worst.

Not that I want to defend the twist clip thing, but they're probably designed for OEMs to install CPU & cooler in under 10 seconds

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Skilleddk posted:

Will this work the same way transitioning from LGA 775? I asked the same question a few pages back but got no definitive response.

So, will I be able to use my Cooler Master V8 on LGA 1155 mobo?

LGA 775 is incompatible with LGA 1156 in terms of heat sinks, so I'd assume it wouldn't work with LGA 1155. However, my cooler came with adapter plates for both LGA 775 and 1156, so maybe it's the same case for you?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

dud root posted:

Not that I want to defend the twist clip thing, but they're probably designed for OEMs to install CPU & cooler in under 10 seconds

Yeah, I found them to actually go in unbelievably quick and easy.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

marketingman posted:

Considering the last time I built a computer was in the days of Thunderbird Athlons, I found this mounting design to be a hell of a lot better than "try futilely to lever very tense metal clip onto tiny little plastic nub that will probably shear off the side of the socket, then slice fingers open on razor-sharp heatsink".

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

chutwig posted:

Considering the last time I built a computer was in the days of Thunderbird Athlons, I found this mounting design to be a hell of a lot better than "try futilely to lever very tense metal clip onto tiny little plastic nub that will probably shear off the side of the socket, then slice fingers open on razor-sharp heatsink".

Yeah... and the fact that cpu's now don't even have actual pins you can screw up...

It seems hilarious to me that I had my system up and running in under 60 minutes after having swapped motherboards, CPU & HS/Fan, and Ram. And that I was able to have it running stable at 4.2 Ghz after changing two numbers in the BIOS. And that I didn't have to reformat the hard drive and the OS literally did all of the work installing drivers and junk. This stuff is so easy compared to how it used to be it makes me sick. SICK.

Kashwashwa fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 14, 2011

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

chutwig posted:

Or those stupid spring loaded heat sink mounts, that in the days before the heat spreader was common, allowed you to crush your die, which I did on my very first PC build on an Athlon XP because my buddy who thought he knew what he was doing gave me lovely 'extra' heat sink and gave me the advice on how to do it.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Hey don't get me wrong guys I think we all remember the dark old days where you're balancing a screw driver and praying you don't push it through your motherboard or it slips out of that tiny metal clips notch and into your hand etc etc.

But I just think they could have designed something a thousand times better instead of trying to save that 1 cent per unit. Frankly, while the plastic twists are an improvement over the old poo poo, it's like saying diarrhea is better than gastro - you've still got the shits, just not the sensation of being stabbed in the stomach anymore.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

mayodreams posted:

Or those stupid spring loaded heat sink mounts, that in the days before the heat spreader was common, allowed you to crush your die, which I did on my very first PC build on an Athlon XP because my buddy who thought he knew what he was doing gave me lovely 'extra' heat sink and gave me the advice on how to do it.

I remember crushing the corner of a Thunderbird 1.4Ghz core. It still worked fine though for a number of years.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I think I resolved my overheating issue by reapplying a smaller amount of grease to the heatsink before application and fixing something in the BIOS. After this heatsink application, the temps were reduced to about 58C in the Asus BIOS (P8P67-M Pro board). We looked through the BIOS and noticed the heatsink fan was only spinning at ~1000rpm. We found and disabled an option called "CPU Q-Fan Control" which automatically sped up the fan to ~1950rpm and cooled the cpu temp in the BIOS to 45C. We figured that was a pretty safe temp so I installed Win7 and all the drivers. I installed the ASUS utility in Win7, which displays a CPU temperature of ~28C when idle up to 45C when playing StarCraft2 (pretty CPU intensive iirc).

My two questions:
Is everyone's CPU Q-Fan control enabled or disabled? I'm sure this function looks at the CPU temp and adjusts accordingly, so it would've sped up had the issue been there. Is your fan speed at ~1000rpm idling at ~30C with Q-Fan enabled? 2000rpm?

When I boot and check out the BIOS, the ASUS UEFI screen usually says the CPU is at 45C. When I boot into Windows and use their utility, idling is at about 28C. What's the discrepancy?

I think I've fixed the problems I've had by using the proper amount of grease (I think intel applied 4x too much to their stock) and adjusting this Q-fan control. If I could get a few people's numbers above that'd be great to soothe my worries about getting a bad chip.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

They make taking a heatsink off incredibly quick and easy so I don't understand the problem. Want to put it on, twist to unlock, line it up with the holes, and then press down on them until you hear a click. Want to take it off, just twist the other way and pull up. Use a screw driver if your goony fingers are too fat.

I've never once broken any of the pins on them or had trouble getting them off and the only people I've know you have weren't doing it correctly in the first place.

If you really hate them then just snap off the pins and replace them with nylon bolts and nuts of your own

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Siroc posted:

When I boot and check out the BIOS, the ASUS UEFI screen usually says the CPU is at 45C. When I boot into Windows and use their utility, idling is at about 28C. What's the discrepancy?
When Windows is idling, it makes the CPU run HLT commands, which shuts it almost down completely. The UEFI BIOS probably doesn't have a sophisticated task/thread management and keeps running a loop polling for keyboard and mouse events, effectively keeping the CPU busy as hell over nothing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

When Windows is idling, it makes the CPU run HLT commands, which shuts it almost down completely. The UEFI BIOS probably doesn't have a sophisticated task/thread management and keeps running a loop polling for keyboard and mouse events, effectively keeping the CPU busy as hell over nothing.

I doubt that speedstep is active when in the BIOS either, so it's constantly running at full speed instead of clocking down to 1.6Ghz as it does in Windows.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, I finally got a P8P67 EVO from Asus, plugged my DDR3-1600 1.65V 9-9-9-24 memory sticks in and when starting up, it configured it to 1.5V DDR3-1066 and 7-7-7-20. Strange stuff. I manually put it to DDR3-1333 1.55V 9-9-9-24, let's see how stable it is.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I had the same problem, even though their manual specifically lists my ram in their suported ram section. I bumped it up with zero problems so far.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Siroc posted:

Is everyone's CPU Q-Fan control enabled or disabled? I'm sure this function looks at the CPU temp and adjusts accordingly, so it would've sped up had the issue been there. Is your fan speed at ~1000rpm idling at ~30C with Q-Fan enabled? 2000rpm?

I think I've fixed the problems I've had by using the proper amount of grease (I think intel applied 4x too much to their stock) and adjusting this Q-fan control. If I could get a few people's numbers above that'd be great to soothe my worries about getting a bad chip.

I left everything at defaults. With the stock cooler, I usually see it at around 1000-1200 RPM, and I think it goes up to about 1800 RPM when I'm in something like WoW. The rest of the case fans (CM-690) are all spinning at about 800 RPM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have the stock cooler on the i7-2600. There's that tool called Core Temp. When running the OCCT CPU test, the temps shoot up to 90°C. Are these readouts normal, for CPU internal sensing?

Also, the Asus setup tool has hilariously bad start up times.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
I'm hitting 40c idle, 65c load at 4.0 GHz with no voltage tweaks. Does this seem kind of high before even tweaking the voltage? I'm using the Hyper 212 Plus and the base was pretty uneven where the heatpipes were which seemed a bit odd.

aggybong
Sep 25, 2003
goob
Are there any laptops with sandybridge processors available now or should I wait another month? I'm in the market and I'd like to grab somethin' goooood.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

aggybong posted:

Are there any laptops with sandybridge processors available now or should I wait another month? I'm in the market and I'd like to grab somethin' goooood.
There were plenty shown at CES with release dates of "the next few weeks."

I suggest waiting until the end of February until you make a decision.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

R1CH posted:

I'm hitting 40c idle, 65c load at 4.0 GHz with no voltage tweaks. Does this seem kind of high before even tweaking the voltage? I'm using the Hyper 212 Plus and the base was pretty uneven where the heatpipes were which seemed a bit odd.

Did you use the pre-applied TIM or did you add some to it or did it not come with any TIM pre-applied? If you applied your own its possible you used too much. What is the ambient air temp of your room and did you disable the powersaving features?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have the stock cooler on the i7-2600. There's that tool called Core Temp. When running the OCCT CPU test, the temps shoot up to 90°C. Are these readouts normal, for CPU internal sensing?

Also, the Asus setup tool has hilariously bad start up times.

Provided the readout is accurate that is way way way too hot, especially if its stock clocked. Same questions apply to you as R1CH.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Sir Nigel posted:

Provided the readout is accurate that is way way way too hot, especially if its stock clocked. Same questions apply to you as R1CH.
Talking core internal temperatures (apparently there are sensors in the CPU die itself), not the mainboard sensor. When idle, core temps are like 35°C.

Stock cooler without anything additional.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

How are you guys applying TIM? :wtc: Every CPU I've had with a IHS I drop a miniscule, slightly smaller than rice-grain sized blob of AS5 in dead center, and then let the HSF crush and spread it around as needed. Worked great for P4s and C2Ds.

I've only done the "cover entire IHS" with thermal compound via razor once, and got the same temps for vastly more effort. :iiam: What will suck is if you apply paste and then keep shifting around the heatsink. Don't do that.

drabk
Aug 15, 2001

for anyone questioning if their heatsink is seated right in a new Asus board, the CPU retention bracket has a little tongue that must go underneath a screw head to the south of the CPU. mine didn't really automatically get underneath that screw, I had to hold it in place before levering down the bracket... so that may have messed other people up as well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm, I think I'll go check the heatsink then.

--edit: I guess the TIM had to melt and distribute itself properly first... Now it stays in the 50°C under full load.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 14, 2011

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world

Sir Nigel posted:

Did you use the pre-applied TIM or did you add some to it or did it not come with any TIM pre-applied? If you applied your own its possible you used too much. What is the ambient air temp of your room and did you disable the powersaving features?

It came with some thermal goo that I spread over the base to fill in the gaps caused by the heatpipes. I couldn't find my AS5 so I just used whatever it came with, used in moderation as I would with a CPU. I'm happy enough with 4GHz but it would be nice to have some headroom for the future.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

movax posted:

How are you guys applying TIM? :wtc: Every CPU I've had with a IHS I drop a miniscule, slightly smaller than rice-grain sized blob of AS5 in dead center, and then let the HSF crush and spread it around as needed. Worked great for P4s and C2Ds.

I've only done the "cover entire IHS" with thermal compound via razor once, and got the same temps for vastly more effort. :iiam: What will suck is if you apply paste and then keep shifting around the heatsink. Don't do that.

Two little lines look like it has good coverage:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=38&limit=1&limitstart=5

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I agree that the plastic pin design of the heatsink is better than the old ones but I do still have problems with it. On at least 2 or 3 of the 4 CPU/Heatsinks that I've installed in the last few years I've found that one or more of the pins will not quite hit the hole in the motherboard dead on, it'll catch on the edge of the hole and then the plastic will deform slightly since the edge of the hole is quite sharp and the plastic is fairly soft, and then the pin that pushes down and spreads the little plastic nubs apart to hold it in place can slide out pre-maturely and prevent the mechanism from locking down properly. The last time I did it I was really careful to make sure all 4 of the clips were down into the holes on the motherboard before I pushed down on the locking buttons and it went much more smoothly.

Now I use a 3rd party heatsink with a back plate so the point is moot.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Most of the boards I have used the boxed heatsink with end up visible warped due to the pressure from the heatsink, and looking at it edge on I could see the where the CPU socket was because the bottom of the board had a visible bump there.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
The plastic pin HSF's are easy to pull off but can be a bitch to put back on without pulling out the motherboard first depending on the case and the position of the CPU socket. HSF retention mechanism is the one thing that AMD has over Intel right now, too bad its such a minor thing that only system builders and benchers will care.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Asus already has BIOS updates out for their P67 boards. You'll have to download them by hand tho, since that lovely AiSuite doesn't find them on its own.

FYI, the update resets all settings to default.

--edit: And do yourself a favor, never install the Asus tools. It shits your system up with tons of autostart apps.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
What is it with the terrible quality of those programs. Every mobo I've owned over the past 10 years has bundled unstable software that can't even fetch the right readings from their own boards. Must be a training project for their new software janitors straight out of uni

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Which heatsinks are you people using? Is anyone getting away with 4GHz on Intel's retail piece?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmmm, I was greeted earlier with the clock interrupt BSOD when I came back home today. Seems like this issue is mostly voltage related when overclocking from what I've read. I think Asus' VRM, EPU and whatever else three letter acronyms are playing against me.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is overclocking typically done through the BIOS? I'm pretty new to this, but I've read through the overclocking thread and understand the general way the process works. I'm just a bit unsure about how you actually go about setting the multiplier and such.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

ehnus posted:

Which heatsinks are you people using? Is anyone getting away with 4GHz on Intel's retail piece?

I'm at 4.2 on the retail one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

axeil posted:

So is overclocking typically done through the BIOS? I'm pretty new to this, but I've read through the overclocking thread and understand the general way the process works. I'm just a bit unsure about how you actually go about setting the multiplier and such.

There's a setting in the BIOS where you type in a number. If you use a Windows utility (I've had good luck with Asus' AI Tweaker, though others ITT said to ignore it), there's roughly the same thing. Might be a slider. It goes from 16 to 65. Set you voltage, set your multiplier, then save-and-reboot (BIOS) or hit Apply (Windows tool).

I liked the Windows tool because it let me go between overclocking settings and Intel Burn Test for stability testing very rapidly. Of course, once you get to your chip's limits, things tend to hard lock after hitting "Apply" so you find yourself rebooting anyway.

e: To the heatsink question, I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, and now that the arctic silver has cured a bit more, I'm idling at 31C (+10F from room temp!) and doing Folding@Home SMP at 53C, which is as full load as it gets besides the Intel Burn Test or Prime95. This is at 4.4 GHz with voltages set to Auto for a Vcore of 1.25-1.3. Auto Vcore is a bit aggressive.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 15, 2011