Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

#561 - The Room (2-disc DVD, Blu, and Blu 3D)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Featuring special binaural commentary from Wiseau himself! He's in your head! aaaaaaaahhhh

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I've never seen a Greenaway film. Looks like a good place to start for me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion just updated the site for April.

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (2-disc DVD and Blu)
Parade (DVD only)
Orson Welles' Macbeth (DVD and Blu)
Fanny and Alexander (Blu theatrical, Blu box set)
A King in New York (DVD and Blu)

Too subtle?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Parade (DVD only)

Too subtle?

FANNY AND ALEXANDER'LSJWGFIOSARGHS[RHFShgfhsgfisd[fgisdojgosd

*AHEM*

*waits for applause*

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Salo
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
Le cercle rouge
Kes
The Midnight Man
Father Jackleg

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay guys enough with the joke posts, you might confuse people.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Egbert Souse posted:

And here I was hoping for King of New York.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Okay guys enough with the joke posts, you might confuse people.

I'm waiting for your post, it's the one I'm going to take seriously.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Where should I be :f5: in order to be the first to know?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Where should I be :f5: in order to be the first to know?

http://www.criterion.com/library/bluray/criterion/soon

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh my god! No art yet but holy poo poo:

#560 - The Cook The Thief His Wife And Her Lover

Director-approved digital transfer, supervised by cinematographer Sacha Vierny
Audio commentary featuring director Peter Greenaway
New video conversation between Greenaway and the film’s score composer Michael Nyman
Deleted scenes
Featurette from 1989 including interviews with Greenaway, Michael Gambon, Helen Mirren, and other cast members
Theatrical trailer
PLUS: An order form for this really neat bridge you can buy

That was just mean. I come back to the thread and there are a bunch of new posts, and I see this, and I totally understand...and then I get to the "PLUS".

Jerk.

:cry:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Egbert Souse posted:

Parade (DVD only)

Too subtle?

You're a jerk. :mad:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ClydeUmney posted:

That was just mean. I come back to the thread and there are a bunch of new posts, and I see this, and I totally understand...and then I get to the "PLUS".

Jerk.

:cry:

Sacha Vierny's being dead didn't tip you off? :rolleyes:

The really terrible thing is that Criterion actually had the rights at one point, but they lost them, and whenever anyone asks about Greenaway on Facebook the answer is always "nope". It just kills me.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Sacha Vierny's being dead didn't tip you off? :rolleyes:

No. I didn't recognize the name offhand. Do I have to turn in my film fan card? I just got it laminated... :(

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Criterion Facebook posted:

Sorry for the delay! Won't be long now...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

ClydeUmney posted:

No. I didn't recognize the name offhand. Do I have to turn in my film fan card? I just got it laminated... :(

Haha, I was joking, neither did I until I googled "cook thief wife cinematographer".

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

I know the name well, but I couldn't have told you if he was dead or not. Actually, I would have guessed he was still working with Greenaway. Did he die fairly recently?

edit: he died in 2001

edit2: GRRR POST THE loving ANNOUNCEMENTS ALREADY SO I CAN BE DISAPPOINTED AND MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE DHGDH3496T346348WERF

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 14, 2011

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

FitFortDanga posted:

edit2: GRRR POST THE loving ANNOUNCEMENTS ALREADY SO I CAN BE DISAPPOINTED AND MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE DHGDH3496T346348WERF

This for me as well... I'm about to leave work and would enjoy being disappointed on the way home.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I should be at the student store buying textbooks right now but somehow this takes precedence.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blowout
Kes
White Material

nothing surprising yet, maybe more to come...

edit: BR upgrades of...

Sweetie
Le Cercle Rouge
F&LiLV

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Alright, that's it. I'm too busy and too tired to post specs and covers. Maybe someone else can do it. My thoughts: yet another blah month. Kes is the only purchase for me here. I haven't seen White Material, the others are all ones I like but not enough to buy.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Dammit, what was that Solaris stuff all about? I heard White Material was good but I'm not very interested in the new titles overall. Disappointment a success.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Wow, Sweetie is unexpected, I'll definitely be upgrading that, and probably buying Le Cercle Rouge because Netflix is being incredibly lovely about Criterion blu-rays.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Isn't Blow Out new too, or am I forgetting the announcement for that?

Also, I cant believe Sweetie is getting a blu release, I never picked that as a priority release. Still, pretty stoked for that, Blow Out and Kes.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Blow Out was hinted at somewhere or other, can't remember. I think it was one of the cartoons. (edit: I think it was a bird wearing headphones)

Solaris was part of a larger beginning-of-the-year megahint, so it could be any time in 2011.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Blow Out was hinted at somewhere or other, can't remember. I think it was one of the cartoons. (edit: I think it was a bird wearing headphones)

Solaris was part of a larger beginning-of-the-year megahint, so it could be any time in 2011.

Oh I see.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Info:

#560 - White Materials (April 12)

*New digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Claire Denis and cinematographer Yves Cape (with DTS-HD Master *Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
*New interviews with Denis and actors Isabelle Huppert and Isaach de Bankolé
*Short documentary by Denis on the film’s premiere at the Écrans Noirs Film Festival 2010 in Cameroon
*Deleted scene
*Theatrical trailer
*New and improved English subtitle translation
*PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film writer Amy Taubin

#561 - Kes (April 19)

*New, restored digital transfer, approved by director Ken Loach and director of photography Chris Menges (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
*Making “Kes,” a new documentary featuring Loach, Menges, producer Tony Garnett, and actor David Bradley
*The Southbank Show: “Ken Loach” (1993), a profile of the filmmaker, featuring Loach, Garnett, directors Stephen Frears and Alan Parker, and other Loach collaborators
*Cathy Come Home (1967), a feature directed by Loach and produced by Garnett, with an introduction by film writer Graham Fuller
*Original theatrical trailer
*PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by Fuller

#562 - Blow Out (April 26)

*New, restored digital transfer, supervised by director Brian De Palma (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
*New hour-long interview with De Palma, conducted by filmmaker Noah Baumbach
*New interview with star Nancy Allen
*Cameraman Garrett Brown on the Steadicam shots featured in the film within the film
*Select on-set photos from photographer Louis Goldman
*Original theatrical trailer
*More!
*PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Michael Sragow and Pauline Kael’s original New Yorker review

Blu Upgrades:

#175 - Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (April 26)

#218 - Le cercle rouge (April 12)

#356 - Sweetie (April 19)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

As someone who thought Le Samourai and Army of Shadows were absolutely awesome, would Le Cercle Rouge be a good Melville for me?

I'm not familiar at all with Blow Out, but that's a great cover.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

As someone who thought Le Samourai and Army of Shadows were absolutely awesome, would Le Cercle Rouge be a good Melville for me?

I'm not familiar at all with Blow Out, but that's a great cover.
Personally, I thought Cercle was amazing, but it's closer to Rififi than it is to either of the two you mentioned - it's essentially a heist/crime pic (though you'll find it's closer to Shadows than Samourai, as it's more about a group of hard men on a mission than it is a loner). In general, I thought it was excellent, but then again, I have yet to find a Melville I didn't love (Shadows may be his best, though).

As for Blow Out...meh. I tend to find De Palma derivative and dull, and this was no exception.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I loved Le Samourai and Army of Shadows, but Le Cercle Rouge just did not have the same impact on me. Compared to the other two, Rouge doesn't have the same amount of payoff for all the setup. But it is very much a Melvillian heist movie, down to the elaborate pacing and noir coolness.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'm really bummed that they chose to upgrade Sweetie but not An Angel At My Table.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Fear and Loathing was my first Criterion and I still love it. Hell, I even went back to watch it again the other day. I hope they also keep the stellar DVD packaging like they did with Videodrome.

Speaking of which, I got some new blus today in the mail: Videodrome, The Night of the Hunter, The BBS Story and Cronos. I really wanted to watch Night of the Hunter first because I've never seen it before, but I'm going to save that for my weekend. I decided to dive into the BBS box set first.

So far all I've watched were Easy Rider and Head. I've seen Easy Rider before and there's really nothing I can say about it that hasn't already been said. It's a great film with some wonderful performers. Criterion did nice work on the transfer. I also decided to watch Head after that because, why not? It's The Monkeys! I'm not really familiar with The Monkeys though so it was a strange move to let the film Head be my first experience. I kind of liked the film too. It was fun in a classic psychedelic way, much like House. The whole film was like an episode of Monty Python played out as a dream. It's rather dated, but I still enjoyed it for what it had to offer.

I just remembered that I still have Criterions at home that I bought during the previous B&N sale that I haven't watched yet (Secret Honor, Fishing with John and Mishima). Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do.

EDIT: Spelling :eng101:

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 15, 2011

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Macrame_God posted:

I just remember that I still have Criterions at home that I bought during the previous B&N sale that I haven't watched yet (Secret Honor, Fishing with John, Mishima). Looks like I got a lot of catching up to do.

Screw the rest of those movies, these three are great. Get off you rear end and watch 'em!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I can't believe I still haven't seen Secret Honor.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
That's awesome that Criterion secured the rights for a Fear and Loathing BluRay

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Quick question -- for the Criterion DVD's with the old lettered logo, if they get upgraded to Blu-Ray, the Blu-Ray edition would have the new C logo, right? Is it a full replica of the original cover?

Also, if the original DVD (Solaris) is a big ugly awkward box, is it a possibility that they would change the packaging?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yes, and probably, though I don't think they'll change the art, just crop it down (which is too bad, because it's awful).

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yes, and probably, though I don't think they'll change the art, just crop it down (which is too bad, because it's awful).

Yeah, the Solaris cover art is pretty terrible, to be honest. I have hopes that at the very least the packaging will be different to save bulkiness. I was also curious as to whether or not they had any Blu-Rays they've done that with... and I guess I should ask about the packaging of Fear and Loathing, since it has the similar clunky box thing going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ClydeUmney posted:

As for Blow Out...meh. I tend to find De Palma derivative and dull, and this was no exception.

I haven't seen Blow Out, but I don't care too much for Scarface and I hated Carlito's Way.