Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Glasgow posted:

I assume it's much like with other food, easiest if you go to a mix of 1/4 new food, 3/4 old, then half and half, then 3/4 and 1/4. Not sure if that works with hay, but I see no reason why not. I have the least picky bunnies in the world, though, so I may be off base.

They've got a mix in their hay feeders right now. Yesterday I came home to find all the orchard grass picked out.

alucinor posted:

:stare: I'm shocked. KM's BG is the poo poo. My guys will scale mountains for it.

I suppose there's probably an adjustment period, especially if they've never had any other type of hay. But drat guys. There's starving rabbits in wisconsin who would love that hay!

When they were baby bunnies, they had alfalfa, then I introduced them to timothy when they were old enough. They both loving assaulted me when I brought home orchard grass. They're giving the bluegrass a good enough try, and I have enough of this poo poo to where they're going to have to learn to eat SOME of it, but if they eat all this up and still beg for orchard grass, we'll probably go back. I'm sad that Kleemama apparently doesn't do orchard grass. It's such nice hay. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I think I have the most pastuerella-afflicted rabbit here. He's a finicky little poo poo but once I tried mixing his Baytril in with this

it's like loving crack to him. Vet said it was fine to do. If I ever have to give him Critical Care again I'll probably try spiking it with banana yogurt.

It's such a relief because before this I would have preferred to give him injections because it was less stressful for everyone involved than trying to give him oral antibiotics.

Bean posted:

They've got a mix in their hay feeders right now. Yesterday I came home to find all the orchard grass picked out.

Wow, I was sure that would work. This is something you might have to fold on.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
I officially adopted one of my fosters and a boy to bond with her today. Muta finally has a home, and a friend.

Just wanted to share. That is all.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Glasgow posted:

I officially adopted one of my fosters and a boy to bond with her today. Muta finally has a home, and a friend.

Just wanted to share. That is all.

:D

Congrats on your new guys!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro has found our local-grown oak and hickory firewood to be worthy of chinning and gumming. She's managed to peel off a few pieces and chew them up. Everything I've seen online says oak and hickory won't hurt her. Any further advice?

Bonus bun edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24AJ0oQtbLo

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 12, 2011

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Last night Lola was being really cute: I had the fireplace running, and there were some piles of folded socks on the floor near the fireplace. She made a little bunny loaf in the middle of the laundry and sort of napped. I came up to hang out with her, and after I had been petting her for a few minutes she sort of yawned, stretched her head forward, and rested her chin on a balled-up sock. She slept like that for about 20 minutes, it was adorable!

Sadly, I didn't get any pictures.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

dopaMEAN posted:

... she sort of yawned, stretched her head forward, and rested her chin on my ball sac.

I got really creeped out for a second thinking I read that.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I appologize if this has already been covered. I didn't see it, but could have missed it. I think my foster kittens gave my little bun bun fleas. The cats and dogs are all treated (frontline for the dogs and revolution for the kitties), but I was wondering what is the best to use on my little lagomorph? Any help would be awesome!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Bloody Cum Fart posted:

I appologize if this has already been covered. I didn't see it, but could have missed it. I think my foster kittens gave my little bun bun fleas. The cats and dogs are all treated (frontline for the dogs and revolution for the kitties), but I was wondering what is the best to use on my little lagomorph? Any help would be awesome!

Use Revolution. Safety information and dose calculations can be found here (my site), but TALK TO YOUR RABBIT'S VET prior to following any of those instructions. You can't just dump a whole kitten tube on a rabbit, so it is safest for you to ask your vet to draw up the appropriate amount for you. It's also safest because it ensures your vet knows about any medication your bun receives just in case there is a negative reaction, so the vet is prepared for dealing with it.

Frontline is toxic to rabbits, do NOT use Frontline.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

alucinor posted:

Use Revolution. Safety information and dose calculations can be found here (my site), but TALK TO YOUR RABBIT'S VET prior to following any of those instructions. You can't just dump a whole kitten tube on a rabbit, so it is safest for you to ask your vet to draw up the appropriate amount for you. It's also safest because it ensures your vet knows about any medication your bun receives just in case there is a negative reaction, so the vet is prepared for dealing with it.

Frontline is toxic to rabbits, do NOT use Frontline.

Will do. Thanks for the advice! I love my bunny's vet.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

So, bonding has begun between my ex-foster and her hopefully soon-to-be husbun. Neither of them have been in pens for a while, and they keep looking at me as if to say *I trusted you!* I feel awful. Arthas has started making that piggy snort noise he hasn't made since he left the shelter. They're going to hate me, aren't they?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Bunny-owner rage, growing.....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/howard/bs-md-ho-bunnies-20110113,0,6098350.story

Blakles
Mar 10, 2008

I have lived a great deal among grown-ups. I have seen them intimately, close at hand. And that hasnt much improved my opinion of them.
78 bunnies running free...I can't imagine the amount of poop in that house!

Solar Jetman
Dec 13, 2004

monsters get slain

Blakles posted:

78 bunnies running free...I can't imagine the amount of poop in that house!

Check out the episode of Hoarders from a couple weeks ago: Hanna/Kathy & Gary. It's on the AETV website. This couple has 25++ rabbits that have taken over the house, eaten thru the drywall. The poo poo is inches thick all over the house.

spoiler for people who hate Hoarders: all the bunnies are rescued and healthy :3

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I imagine 78 rabbits to be like a wave of fluffy clouds beneath the feet. But really, just having one rabbit is headache enough sometimes, let alone 78! I don't care how adorable they are.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z-Pe0iVPP8

I imagine it's probably a lot like this. Except, of course, in your home and 24 hours a day.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
How bigger (longer) do dwarf bunnies get? I've seen some at the petshot and they were about the size of a palm and they were adorable :3: Will they stay the same size?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

squirt the daisies posted:

How bigger (longer) do dwarf bunnies get? I've seen some at the petshot and they were about the size of a palm and they were adorable :3: Will they stay the same size?

All the true dwarfs I've ever had have been about 12-16" long at minimum - 3-4 lbs. Most are slightly bigger because they are mixes. A lot of "dwarf" bunnies are mislabeled at petstores, and end up being 6-10 lbs when grown. If you want a tiny rabbit, go to a rescue and look for a tiny adult.

Just FYI this would be a bad idea because also dwarfs are frequently neurotic assholes, much like purse dogs. They hate you and destroy everything just to spite you. They also need more space because they are more hyperactive. The big lops and new zealands are much more chill and friendly. Once I get rid of the dwarfs I have, I am never getting anything but the giantest rabbits I can find.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

alucinor posted:

Once I get rid of the dwarfs I have, I am never getting anything but the giantest rabbits I can find.

Thanks for the answer. Just to be sure, how long are your dwarfs?

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

alucinor posted:

All the true dwarfs I've ever had have been about 12-16" long at minimum - 3-4 lbs. Most are slightly bigger because they are mixes. A lot of "dwarf" bunnies are mislabeled at petstores, and end up being 6-10 lbs when grown. If you want a tiny rabbit, go to a rescue and look for a tiny adult.

Just FYI this would be a bad idea because also dwarfs are frequently neurotic assholes, much like purse dogs. They hate you and destroy everything just to spite you. They also need more space because they are more hyperactive. The big lops and new zealands are much more chill and friendly. Once I get rid of the dwarfs I have, I am never getting anything but the giantest rabbits I can find.

Yeah, a lot of dwarf hotots and lionheads are complete dicks. I'm of the opinion that they know they're adorable and therefore can get away with poo poo.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Thanks for the answer. Just to be sure, how long are your dwarfs?

Flash is about 12" long (2.5 lbs) and is the tiniest rabbit I've ever seen - those grass mats are also 12" as a reference. He's got some chronic eye and tooth problems as a result of being so small and bug-eyed, and is also the biggest rear end in a top hat I've ever met.

Noelle is a nicely bred dwarf, about 14" long (3 lbs).

Mint (right) was a mix, about 15-16" (3.5 lbs).

Hyde is a mix, he's about 15" (3.5 lbs).

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

First of all, thanks for answering and your bunnies are great. Second, i think i'll give up with the idea of getting a dwarf rabbit, because it looks like they aren't that dwarf after all :) Out of curiosity, how long does a "normal" home rabbit get?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Maybe it's just me squirt the daisies, but I wouldn't be so preoccupied with the size of an animal that's going to live 15-20 years and require a high level of difficult care throughout it's entire life. Rabbits range in size, and if you're considering one as a pet, that's probably going to be the last thing you'll want to worry about. :)

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Maybe it's just me squirt the daisies, but I wouldn't be so preoccupied with the size of an animal that's going to live 15-20 years and require a high level of difficult care throughout it's entire life. Rabbits range in size, and if you're considering one as a pet, that's probably going to be the last thing you'll want to worry about. :)

Do dwarf rabbits live that much, 15-20 years? I thought more like 5-7 years. But yeah, size does matter :D

So as a conclussion, the smallest a dwarf rabbit adult can be is about 12"?

Why can't they stay at the size of my palm :unsmith:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Why does size matter to you this much

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

I have a big lazy rabbit and I can block his exit with his travel cage (less than 16" tall) and I never worry about him escaping.

Do dwarf rabbits live that much, 15-20 years? I thought more like 5-7 years. But yeah, size does matter :D

They can't stay the size of your palm because that is beyond the lower limit of what domesticated rabbit species need to be physiologically healthy.

I feel like you took a wrong turn on a search for mini teacup chihuahuas. You should look into guinea pigs.

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Smaller rabbits are more hyper and need more run-around space/time. So a dwarf will end up taking up as much space in your house as a big NZW.

There is no true "teacup" sized anything, a miniaturized version of a real animal is a sick, poorly bred timebomb of health problems.

I'd say get a rat, as they're "palm-sized" and only live about 5 years, but if size is all you're worried about in a pet, I think you should just get yourself a rock.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

I think you misunderstood me, guys. I have a roborovski hamster at the moment and he's very cute, but now i wanted something a little bigger, so i could pet him :3:

Size matter because i have limited space for him, if it didn't matter i'd get a dog :)

So yes, guinea pig looks like the way to go.

glaswow posted:

There is no true "teacup" sized anything, a miniaturized version of a real animal is a sick, poorly bred timebomb of health problems.

My hamster is a robo, he's a dwarf, and believe me, dwarf hamsters are perfectly healthy.

But i guess i could love a rock too :unsmith:

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

I think you misunderstood me, guys. I have a roborovski hamster at the moment and he's very cute, but now i wanted something a little bigger, so i could pet him :3:

Size matter because i have limited space for him, if it didn't matter i'd get a dog :)

My hamster is a robo, he's a dwarf, and believe me, dwarf hamsters are perfectly healthy.

But i guess i could love a rock too :unsmith:

Dwarf hamsters are supposed to be that small. And they are still prone to diabetes and other health problems.

Rabbits are better than guinea pigs about being petted, but in generally they are not lovey sort of animals that like to be picked up. If you can be cool with petting a bunny and letting it come to you when it wants and not necessarily wanting to be on your lap all the time, that's probably how it would be.

And really, NZWs are only like, 10 lbs or something on average, and are really chill. Mine wanders about and explores, but does not get up on poo poo or haul rear end around my house like a small breed of rabbit would be likely to do.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

now i wanted something a little bigger, so i could pet him :3:

Guinea pigs don't like to be petted either. Not in the same way a cat, dog, or rat does. They'll tolerate it, but they never LIKE it, and will always run from you if they can. They also require a ton of space - 2'x4' at a minimum for one or two pigs. You cannot use the cages they sell in the petstore, they are abusively small. They can't be fed the plain pellets sold by the pet store either, they require a complex diet of grass hay, a VERY few pellets, and lots of vitamin C rich veggies with a specific Ca:P and oxalate ratio. Their vet care is hugely expensive and they're prone to lots of illnesses including molar malocclusion, bladder stones, and anal impaction. They're also highly social and you really need to have two.

Don't get a guinea pig. They really aren't good pets for most people. Start with a rat.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

You are somehow missing the repeated advice that a larger rabbit it better suited to less space, as counter-intuitive as that may seem. Please don't get a rabbit.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Foaming Chicken posted:

You are somehow missing the repeated advice that a larger rabbit it better suited to less space, as counter-intuitive as that may seem. Please don't get a rabbit.

Seconding do not get a rabbit. I got one because I couldn't get a cat and honestly, while I love them to death and could never give them away I highly regret it. One of mine is a dwarf and she's a giant bitch (but I love her to death oh my god). The other one is a large lop and he's really chill. But if I could change my decision, make no mistake, I would.

ColonelKlink
Apr 17, 2002

I'm stuck in the middle of his horrible situation; my wife not only works at this shelter, but she's the adoption coordinator, so she's pretty much 24/7 talking/calling/emailing everyone she knows trying to find them homes.

Those poor rabbits! She's already found foster homes for 13 of the little guys through rescues, but none have yet been adopted.

Most of the people coming in have been looking for dwarf rabbits and purebreds. :(

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

ColonelKlink posted:

Most of the people coming in have been looking for dwarf rabbits and purebreds. :(

I wonder if it's the previously mentioned misconception of small rabbits being better for small living spaces (or worse, for their children :gonk:)

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Let me just agree with what's been said already. I have a regular sized lop who's no trouble at all, but my friend has a dwarf who's an unholy terror. She's very cuddly and all but how nice she is has a lot to do with the amount of attention she gets. She'll settle for nothing less than being waited on hand and foot all day every day. She absolutely destroys furniture, makes huge amounts of noise, pisses and shits all over the place, attacks people, and never seems to sleep ever.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Let me just agree with what's been said already. I have a regular sized lop who's no trouble at all, but my friend has a dwarf who's an unholy terror. She's very cuddly and all but how nice she is has a lot to do with the amount of attention she gets. She'll settle for nothing less than being waited on hand and foot all day every day. She absolutely destroys furniture, makes huge amounts of noise, pisses and shits all over the place, attacks people, and never seems to sleep ever.

Jesus... That's my baby girl to the dot.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Please indulge me a little more, before i'll get a rock. If dwarfs are at least 12" long, how long are "normal" rabbits?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Please indulge me a little more, before i'll get a rock. If dwarfs are at least 12" long, how long are "normal" rabbits?

You're drawing the wrong conclusions from my information. Dwarves are typically 14"-16". That 12" rabbit is a loving freak of nature.

Non-dwarf rabbits are 16" to 24" long and typically weigh from 5 to 10 lbs. They go up to 36" but much over 22" and they're considered a large breed.

Keep in mind that ANY size rabbit needs at least 2'x4' of cage space - preferably 4'x4' - with several hours per day (4 hours per day or 30 hours per week) of out-of-cage playtime in a rabbit proofed area. So again, you really can't buy the petstore cages; oh and goodbye to leaving books, clothing, remote controls, etc out where the rabbit can destroy it.

If you're still focused on an animal you can cuddle, rabbits are not it. They occasionally like petting but only on their terms. Many rabbits don't like being held on a lap and will bite or struggle if you try to restrain them for petting. People frequently buy them as babies who are too young to struggle, and then dump them in shelters as soon as they start exhibiting normal, aloof rabbit behavior. They can be litter trained but they still drop poop everywhere to mark territory; if you don't get them spayed/neutered they may also spray urine. You can't just feed them bagged petstore food; they require a diet of grass hay, SMALL amounts of timothy-based pellets, and vitamin A rich, oxalate- and calcium-low veggies. Like pigs, their vet care is expensive and they are prone to lots of medical problems. Like pigs, they do best in pairs; a single rabbit is more likely to be destructive and aggressive.

Seriously, do not get a rabbit. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have gotten them either. If you want a pet that wants to be petted and cuddled, a cat is your best bet. If you think you can't get a cat because you can't get an animal which mostly lives outside of a cage, you can't get a rabbit either, and your best bet in that case would be a pair of rats.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Rats can be very cuddly and are no trouble at all.

I should mention of the three rats we had they all died of horrible tumors which apparently is common among petstore (IE inbred) rats :(

luscious posted:

Jesus... That's my baby girl to the dot.

I should mention that that rabbit does love me to bits and gives me kisses and cuddles all night. Although apparently she releases a torrent of poo poo and piss the moment I leave (or so I'm told).

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

DS at Night posted:

Rats can be very cuddly and are no trouble at all.

I should mention of the three rats we had they all died of horrible tumors which apparently is common among petstore (IE inbred) rats :(

I should mention that that rabbit does love me to bits and gives me kisses and cuddles all night. Although apparently she releases a torrent of poo poo and piss the moment I leave (or so I'm told).

well I call her My Sweet Devil. She will do insanely sweet things. Followed by incredibly devilish things. And sometimes when she's doing something devilish I can stop her by giving her baby love.I think that more than anything she feels like she's misunderstood.