Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have pretty much 90% of my applications and files installed/stored in a different hard drive than my OS.

Do you guys have any recommendations on the fastest way to reformat my OS drive, reinstall Windows 7 and be up and running as fast as possible?

I'm switching W7 versions so just straight up imaging is not possible, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I have pretty much 90% of my applications and files installed/stored in a different hard drive than my OS.

Do you guys have any recommendations on the fastest way to reformat my OS drive, reinstall Windows 7 and be up and running as fast as possible?

I'm switching W7 versions so just straight up imaging is not possible, unfortunately.

You don't need to reinstall to upgrade a Win7 installation. You can do any Anytime upgrade.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

You don't need to reinstall to upgrade a Win7 installation. You can do any Anytime upgrade.

It's actually sort of a downgrade. This particular computer was running one of the RC candidates and is now getting a legit Professional version installed.

Since the RCs were technically "Ultimate" versions, I can't simply slap a Pro install over them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I think the 'proper' way is to run Windows Easy Transfer to save your program settings, then perform a clean install of windows (with formatting) and then install all your apps again, before importing back your settings and data.

But I wonder what will happen if you try to run a Repair Install using the new DVD. Will it let you repair the current installation into a newer version?

EDIT:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/03/hack-to-in-place-downgrade-from-windows-7-ultimate-or-professional-to-less-premium-editions/ seems to show a hack to make this possible.

That said, I think I'd prefer to do a complete flatten and reinstall - there is something wonderfully fresh about a clean install.

spog fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 15, 2011

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Any chance of having links to legit ISOs with SP1 already slipstreamed when they emerge? I could have sworn the OP used to have exactly that, but it seems to have disappeared or been modded off

I'm sure there will be Digital River links sooner or later, but for now I just have confirmation that the final SP1 has been sent to OEM's, along with the build number for it.

I'm sure MS will push it out via Windows Update soon enough.

Oh hello: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Windows-7-Service-Pack-1-Download-163177.html

The x64 installer is also the 2008 R2 SP1 installer.

EoRaptor fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 15, 2011

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/Sneak-Peek-A-Quick-Look-at-Windows-7-Service-Pack-1.aspx

Per Paul Thurott it's near final, but that's not it.

I've never seen them go from release to oem to the street this quickly anyways.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For some reason, every time Windows goes into sleep mode, it crashes/freezes when I try to resume and I have to manually reboot it. Does this happen to anyone else? I've got the latest updates, and I've an AMD Athlon II X3 450 with a ASUS M4A77TD motherboard, if that actually means anything at all. Also why do certain screensavers remove the taskbar? It's annoying.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Before I rebuilt, I had an nForce Intel board that would bluescreen when going into sleep. The network controller also didn't work, and it didn't do RAID 5 stably (though it did RAID 0, 1, 10 fine). I figured it was the Southbridge being lovely.

If I were to face that problem again today (and I weren't dealing with a refurbished, $40 board I only intended to last a few months), I would RMA the mainboard.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ryokurin posted:

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/Sneak-Peek-A-Quick-Look-at-Windows-7-Service-Pack-1.aspx

Per Paul Thurott it's near final, but that's not it.

I've never seen them go from release to oem to the street this quickly anyways.

MS has released both basic language and extended language versions of this service pack, something they don't usually do for only 'near final' versions.

Of course, the if it's not downloaded from MS caveat downloader stuff applies, I did not intend this to be any exception to that.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I have a Compaq desktop that's a few years old which I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Unlike other Win7 computers, it does a bright-red flash every time I get a UAC prompt - other Win7 computers do dim the screen to gray before showing the prompt, but I've never seen such a bright, obnoxious flash before.

Is there a way to turn this off? The UAC control panel doesn't seem to allow you to set the color yourself. To be clear, I'm not trying to turn off UAC or the Secure Desktop feature, just change the flash from this horrible red to gray or whatever it is normally.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

vlack posted:

I have a Compaq desktop that's a few years old which I just upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Unlike other Win7 computers, it does a bright-red flash every time I get a UAC prompt - other Win7 computers do dim the screen to gray before showing the prompt, but I've never seen such a bright, obnoxious flash before.

Is there a way to turn this off? The UAC control panel doesn't seem to allow you to set the color yourself. To be clear, I'm not trying to turn off UAC or the Secure Desktop feature, just change the flash from this horrible red to gray or whatever it is normally.

That seems like it might be a video (card?) issue. I've seen that happen before with other programs.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
I have Windows 7 installed on a Zotac Ion 330 board, and want to move the install across to an Asrock Ion 330 board instead (because one uses an external 60W brick, one uses a standard ATX PSU) - I'm thinking just swapping the hard disk over should be relatively safe to do, considering it's probably 98% the same hardware?

EDIT: Went ahead and did it, took quite a while at first boot, but looking OK.

JonTheDon fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 16, 2011

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

JonTheDon posted:

I have Windows 7 installed on a Zotac Ion 330 board, and want to move the install across to an Asrock Ion 330 board instead (because one uses an external 60W brick, one uses a standard ATX PSU) - I'm thinking just swapping the hard disk over should be relatively safe to do, considering it's probably 98% the same hardware?

EDIT: Went ahead and did it, took quite a while at first boot, but looking OK.

I've done hard drive transplants with XP, and outside of a couple reboots to install the new drivers, it ended up perfectly stable. I don't doubt Vista/7 can be equally as adaptable.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Vista/Win7 transfer more reliably than 2000/XP from what I've seen. The hard drive controller chipset would really trip up 2000/XP.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Xenomorph posted:

Vista/Win7 transfer more reliably than 2000/XP from what I've seen. The hard drive controller chipset would really trip up 2000/XP.

Plus 7 installs the recovery environment onto the harddrive in a separate partition, so if you do a full disk clone (not just the Win 7 partition) and it won't boot then the chances are the recovery environment will boot and can have a go at fixing things.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, spinning up on any magnetic drive is a signficantly higher load, something like maybe a couple amps instead of half an amp while running on a 7200RPM drive. I remember reading it could be a concern in systems with borderline-capacity PSUs.

Not just magnetic drives. My optical drive exposed a failure in my PSU. It would start the Vista setup, but when it got to expanding files (the actual file copy operations) and it hit the optical drive's motor hard, the system would promptly poo poo itself.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled

Fuschia tude posted:

That seems like it might be a video (card?) issue. I've seen that happen before with other programs.

Yeah, you may be right; now that I'm thinking about it, it seems to flash red at other times as well. I just updated my video card drivers, for example, and whenever I do that on any computer, the screen will flicker. On this computer, it flickered bright red.

It's a PCI-e graphics card (Radeon HD2400 Pro). Does the card just do that? I can't find anything actually wrong with the card (except that it's old and lovely) so I have no other evidence to suggest that the card is actually faulty, but I guess that's a possibility also.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"
So, I'm running Windows 7 x64 Pro, and I want to use Media Center to play videos and do my TV recording. Only issue is that x64 Windows ships with the x64 version of Windows Media Center.

I thought it might be simple enough to snag the x86 compile of Windows Media Center from another Win 7 install, so I did just that and tried replacing the directory. No dice, won't even run.

Anyone have any clever advice on how to get 32bit Windows Media Center running on Windows 7 x64?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

What horrendous video codec do you have your videos in?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Why is this a problem, exactly?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I don't get this either. I have Win7 x64 and with CoreAVC installed I can play just about anything in WMC/WMP.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Why is this a problem, exactly?

Windows Media Center x64 will only load x64 codecs. There aren't really any x64 codecs that will open and play mkvs at the moment. CCCP doesn't have any x64 version included, and most of the filters like VSfliter are no longer maintained, and unlikely to get a x64 version.

Basicaly WMC 32bit + CCCP works fine with everything. WMC 64bix + CCCP works only with AVI files, and files that it has built in codecs for.

edit: CoreAVC has a x64 version I think. But I'm hoping for a free option, as they're a pay product. Worth it mind you, but I'm frugal/cheap.

edit2: Also this still doesn't provide any support for soft subs that I'm aware of, but might fix the mkv playback of x264 files.

skywalker6705 fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 18, 2011

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I don't know about you but my videos work fine with or without coreAVC. (I bought the codec as its loving amazing. Decodes 720p on a single core celeron notebook.)

Your also balking at 12 dollars USD.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

Edit:

Okay, I fixed my problems by abandoning CCCP and tracking down the x64 beta of Haali Media Splitter, and the x64 version of FFDShow Tryouts. Since ffdshow includes vsfilter natively, subtitles are a non issue, though annoying to enable/disable via remote.

Thanks for the recommendations though. I was hoping there was a simple toggle or registry hack I hadn't heard or thought of, but I guess I just needed to hunt down the x64 specific versions.

skywalker6705 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 18, 2011

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

It sounds like skywalker6705 doesn't really need CoreAVC as I'm guessing he's using a desktop, but while we're talking about codecs if anyone out there is watching HD video on a laptop then the $12 for CoreAVC is well worth it.

I have an ultra-low-voltage slimline laptop. It's dual core but struggles to play 720p on youtube smoothly. With CoreAVC I can play 720p MKVs perfectly and it only uses around 30% CPU time, which means combined with the ULV processor I can get around 6 hours out of the battery while watching HD movies.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

K-lite has 64 bit codecs if people are looking for them still

http://codecguide.com/

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rolleyes posted:

It sounds like skywalker6705 doesn't really need CoreAVC as I'm guessing he's using a desktop, but while we're talking about codecs if anyone out there is watching HD video on a laptop then the $12 for CoreAVC is well worth it.

I have an ultra-low-voltage slimline laptop. It's dual core but struggles to play 720p on youtube smoothly. With CoreAVC I can play 720p MKVs perfectly and it only uses around 30% CPU time, which means combined with the ULV processor I can get around 6 hours out of the battery while watching HD movies.

CoreAVC is still very useful on a desktop for 1080p content.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

kri kri posted:

K-lite has 64 bit codecs if people are looking for them still

http://codecguide.com/

That's a funny way to spell http://shark007.net/.

nuvan
Mar 29, 2008

And the gentle call of the feral 3am "Everything is going so well you can't help but panic."

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's a funny way to spell http://shark007.net/.

Seconding this. I've been using Shark007's codecs for quite a while now and mostly I forget I've even installed codecs, since everything just works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If you're using a halfway modern GPU, stuff you find in an mkv file is going to be decoded with the GPU if you use ffdshow tryouts. No need for CoreAVC in that case.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

If you're using a halfway modern GPU, stuff you find in an mkv file is going to be decoded with the GPU if you use ffdshow tryouts. No need for CoreAVC in that case.

CoreAVC supports CUDA so actually it'll still be more efficient for the parts which don't run on the graphics card, and I'm willing to bet their graphics-card assisted implementation is better than most.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

skywalker6705 posted:

Windows Media Center x64 will only load x64 codecs. There aren't really any x64 codecs that will open and play mkvs at the moment.

Yes, yes there are. The DivX Plus Codec Pack supports MKV files using Media Foundation, and comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors in a single installer. Plus, it claims to support streaming MKV files to PS3 and XBox360 consoles using the stock Windows Media sharing service, but I haven't tested that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How can I figure out why a program in Win7 wants admin access to run? I've deployed a program that should be able to update in the user's context (and works on XP) but in Win 7 it wants to elevate permissions.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

How can I figure out why a program in Win7 wants admin access to run? I've deployed a program that should be able to update in the user's context (and works on XP) but in Win 7 it wants to elevate permissions.

Process explorer is probably a good bet. You can see what resources it's hitting up. Chances are it's trying to write files to somewhere it shouldn't be.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
It may be tripping up the automatic compatibility function that tends to trigger on any executable with "install" or "patch" in the filename. The only way to prevent that is to add the requestedExecutionLevel to your application's manifest resource, set to "asInvoker". It's documented here. If you compile your application with any recent version of Visual Studio, it should produce a manifest containing that attribute by default. And, depending on the project settings, it should default to linking it into the resources section of your executable.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kode54 posted:

It may be tripping up the automatic compatibility function that tends to trigger on any executable with "install" or "patch" in the filename. The only way to prevent that is to add the requestedExecutionLevel to your application's manifest resource, set to "asInvoker". It's documented here. If you compile your application with any recent version of Visual Studio, it should produce a manifest containing that attribute by default. And, depending on the project settings, it should default to linking it into the resources section of your executable.

I'm not compiling it, I'm deploying it. The installer runs as admin (which makes sense) but it has this updater that pulls new executables from a file share then replaces them. The user has full permission to modify the files that (I think) it's trying to modify.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I know this question is a bit off-topic but I figured it didn't merit it's own thread:

I have an Excel user who needs to merge the data in multiple columns into a single column that contains the information from each cell separated by a colon. So, for example, this:

code:
Column 1   |   Column 2   |   Column 3   |
Date 1     |   Data 2     |   Data  3    | 
Must become this:

code:
Column 1
Data 1:Data 2:Data 3
This particular book has nearly a thousand entries, and I'd hate for her to have to do it manually. I figure there must be a way to do it automatically but maybe Excel isn't the right program to do it with. Any suggestions?

Edit:
VVVVVV
That was perfect! Thanks!

Woozy fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 19, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Woozy posted:

This particular book has nearly a thousand entries, and I'd hate for her to have to do it manually. I figure there must be a way to do it automatically but maybe Excel isn't the right program to do it with. Any suggestions?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/merge-or-split-cells-or-cell-contents-HP005251021.aspx

Merge the contents of multiple cells into one cell

You can use a formula with the ampersand (&) operator to combine text from multiple cells into one cell.

1. Select the cell in which you want to combine the contents of other cells.
2. To start the formula, type =(
3. Select the first cell that contains the text that you want to combine, type &" "& (with a space between the quotation marks), and then select the next cell that contains the text that you want to combine.

To combine the contents of more than two cells, continue selecting cells, making sure to type &" "& between selections. If you don't want to add a space between combined text, type & instead of &" "&. To insert a comma, type &", "& (with a comma followed by a space between the quotation marks).

4. To finalize the formula, type )
5. To see the results of the formula, press ENTER.

Tip You can also use the CONCATENATE function to combine text from multiple cells into one cell.

Sully
Feb 6, 2009

kode54 posted:

Yes, yes there are. The DivX Plus Codec Pack supports MKV files using Media Foundation, and comes with both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors in a single installer. Plus, it claims to support streaming MKV files to PS3 and XBox360 consoles using the stock Windows Media sharing service, but I haven't tested that.

I can confirm that streaming MKVs to Windows Media Center on the Xbox 360 works using that codec pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rolleyes posted:

CoreAVC supports CUDA so actually it'll still be more efficient for the parts which don't run on the graphics card, and I'm willing to bet their graphics-card assisted implementation is better than most.

I don't really know one way or the other, but 1080p video plays with miniscule CPU usage on an ION nettop via ffdshow tryouts or VLC. At least try it out before you spend any money on CoreAVC.