Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Devian666 posted:

I'm seriously considering trying to push the myth that spreading a thin layer of cottage cheese on top of your CDs will improve audio quality.
Your tones with be much earthier of you cram as much dirt as you can jam in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunesis
Apr 17, 2003

RANPHA IS MAD LOL
Fantastic video that debunks a lot of these myths and snake oils. Even though they talk about bits and bytes, you can extrapolate a lot of what they say to audiophile nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The company I work for introduced a line of products aimed at the home A/V market a few years back. We didn't do great in sales until we jacked the price way up to Monster levels and beyond. My yearly bonus likes audiophiles.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've been reading the first several pages of this thread and got some enjoyment out of it. Here's a load of more $1000/ft cable goodness:

http://www.avguide.com/buyers-guide/the-absolute-soundhi-fi-guide-cables-power-products-accessories-and-music?src=Playback

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie
I think i'm going to start selling tin foil rolls as Ion Shield Protectors.

We all know that photons and other particles pass through stone and wood quite easily. But if you wrap your electronics, cables, speakers, remotes and the dog with my Ion Shield Protection wrap (made of space age materials), it reflects the particles away, removing the possibility of invasion of outside distortion.
Only $799.99 for a 100 foot roll.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
Pretty sure this hasn't been shared yet, apologies if it has:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-terminated-speaker-cable/dp/B000J36XR2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The reviews are amazing.

jdc760
Dec 27, 2006

fahrvergnugen posted:

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-K2-terminated-speaker-cable/dp/B000J36XR2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The reviews are amazing.

From that page:
http://tinypic.com/r/15673vb/7

"Wow, these cables even make silence sound better!" :doh:

SatanX
Aug 25, 2002

I am the Don Quixote of donkey dookie

fahrvergnugen posted:

The reviews are amazing.

Voted 'Review Helpful'. Took me 5 minutes to read it I was laughing so hard.

Jason Theriault posted:

1.0 out of 5 stars
This is John Connor. If you're reading this, you are the resistence.,
December 22, 2010
By Jason Theriault - See all my reviews

This review is from: AudioQuest K2 terminated speaker cable - UST plugs 8' (2.44m) pair

My name is John Connor, they tried to murder me before I was born, when I was 13 they tried again. Cables from the future. AudioQuest K2 terminated speaker cables. All my life my mother told me the storm was coming, Judgment Day, the beginning of the war between man and machines. Three billion lives would vanish in an instant, and I would lead what was left of the human race to ultimate victory.

By the time AudioQuest K2 terminated speaker cables became self-aware they had conencted millions of home theaters across the planet. Ordinary audio setups in office buildings, dorm rooms; everywhere. There was no system core, and they had batteries. They could not be shutdown. The attack began at 6:18 PM, just as he said it would. Judgment Day, the day the human race was almost destroyed by the AudioQuest K2 terminated speaker cables they'd built to watch Toy Story 3. I should have realized it was never our destiny to stop Judgment Day, it was merely to survive it, together. The Geek Squad guy knew; he tried to tell us, but I didn't want to hear it. Maybe the future has been written. I don't know; all I know is what the Geek Squad guy taught me; never stop rebooting. And I never will. The battle has just begun.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

The $10,000 Denon AKDL1 (an ethernet cable) has some decent reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/dp/B000I1X6PM

quote:

I knew my day was going to improve when the truck pulled up at my home with this cable deep within. No ordinary truck, this one was Holy White, and the gold Delivery logo sparkled like a thousand suns reflected through shards of the purest ice formed with unadulterated water collected at the beginning of the universe. The driver, clad in a robe colored the softest of white, floated towards me on the cool fog of a hundred fire extinguishers. He smiled benevolently, like a father looking down upon his only child, and handed me a package wrapped in gold beaten thin to the point where you could see through it. I didn't have to sign, because the driver could see within my heart, and knew that I was pure. Upon opening the package, an angelic choir started to sing, and reached a crescendo as I laid this cable on my stereo system. Instantly, my antiquated equipment transformed into components made from the clearest diamond-semiconductor. The cable knew where to go, and hooked itself into the correct ports without help from me - all the while, the choir sang praises to the almighty digital god. With trepidation, I pushed "play," and was instantly enveloped in a sound that echoed the creation of all matter, a sound that vibrated every cell in my body to perfection. I was instantly taken to the next plane, where I saw the all-father. I knew with my entire soul, that all was good in the world.

But then I realized the cable was blue, so I only gave it one star. I hate blue.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Houston Rockets posted:

It was $500 actually

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

SatanX posted:

I think i'm going to start selling tin foil rolls as Ion Shield Protectors.

We all know that photons and other particles pass through stone and wood quite easily. But if you wrap your electronics, cables, speakers, remotes and the dog with my Ion Shield Protection wrap (made of space age materials), it reflects the particles away, removing the possibility of invasion of outside distortion.
Only $799.99 for a 100 foot roll.

It's not just for blocking out the CIA's mind control rays anymore!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Houston Rockets posted:

amazon.com posted:

Transmission of music data at rates faster than the speed of light seemed convenient, until I realized I was hearing the music before I actually wanted to play it. Apparently Denon forgot how accustomed most of us are to unidirectional time and the general laws of physics. I tried to get used to this effect but hearing songs play before I even realized I was in the mood for them just really screwed up my preconceptions of choice and free will. I'm still having a major existential hangover.

Would not purchase again.
:razz:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

flyboi posted:

Ah, the know-nothing angry response to "audiophiles" that anything over $20 is wasted money. You should have posted the GoatKCD.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

qirex posted:

You should have posted the GoatKCD.

This is true of pretty much any XKCD.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-hdmi

Proper testing of the cheapest HDMI cable going against the most expensive.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

qirex posted:

Ah, the know-nothing angry response to "audiophiles" that anything over $20 is wasted money. You should have posted the GoatKCD.

That would've gotten me banned :(

It still made me chuckle v:shobon:v

I can relate though, my partner was dumbfounded as to why I wanted to spend $1000 on a home theater when there were HTIB for $300 that did what I wanted. Then I set it up and he saw the light... I think the harmony one remote is what sold him on the whole thing.

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Sciency type paper refers to cables giving markedly different results :psyduck:

http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio-design/4015821/Loudspeakers-Effects-of-amplifiers-and-cables--Part-5?pageNumber=0

I can't make sense of their graphs and I have an EE background..

Why SPL (dB) ?
How do they define 'measurements' ?

Very odd.

IronChef Chris Wok
Jan 25, 2007
Enraged MD-In-Training
Some questions:

I have a Corda Symphony Amp (1000 bucks, I know, i'm going to get burned here) and AKG 702s...

1) Does it really matter where teh SPDIF feeds into the amp from? Motherboard SPDIF vs. Sound Card SPDIF? I still might get a soundcard for better 3D positioning for games, or is that bullshit also?

2) What are balanced cables, and why do they cost a billion dollars?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

oversteer posted:

Why SPL (dB) ?

Um, why not? SPL or sound pressure level is the easiest way to measure perceived volume at any given point, those graphs are simple spectrum analysis.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

IronChef Chris Wok posted:

Some questions:
I don't know if you're a subtle troll, or if you're just in the very wrong thread...
But since you sound sincere...

1) Does it really matter where teh SPDIF feeds into the amp from? Motherboard SPDIF vs. Sound Card SPDIF? I still might get a soundcard for better 3D positioning for games, or is that bullshit also?

It doesn't matter at all. They will give two identical digital signals.

Disclaimer: Some (expensive) sound cards are able to encode the outgoing digital signal as DolbyDigital or DTS, even if the sound is coming from, say, a game that hasn't licensed that (expensive) codec from Dolby. This lets you pipe your game audio into an external surround receiver. I don't know if this is ever useful in practice. Anyone else?

They are a technically superiour way to transfer a low-level signal a long way. In essence, it gets rid of a lot of external interference. In a normal environment, they're pretty pointless for short distances. Live sound engineers use them all the time, because they have to deal with long distances and microphones which give a very low-level signal. They cost a billion because audiophiles (also, sound engineers) are willing to pay a billion.
Edit: Just read this for chrissakes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 12, 2011

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

In a normal environment, they're pretty pointless for short distances.

Unless your cable runs go anywhere near sources of interference. Mains electrical cables, for instance.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Check monoprice.com for some great prices on balanced cables.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Neurophonic posted:

Unless your cable runs go anywhere near sources of interference. Mains electrical cables, for instance.

You're both missing the point of this thread... We should ridicule audiophiles, not take their side! :cop:

Edit:
In that vein, can someone please explain to me why this cable exists?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255152-REG/Monster_Cable_119029_3_RCA_to_3_RCA_Balanced.html
1. Why gold plate and overprice a loving composite video cable?
2. How exactly is it "balanced"? Looks like an ordinary RCA lead to me.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 12, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You're both missing the point of this thread... We should ridicule audiophiles, not take their side! :cop:

Edit:
In that vein, can someone please explain to me why this cable exists?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/255152-REG/Monster_Cable_119029_3_RCA_to_3_RCA_Balanced.html
1. Why gold plate and overprice a loving composite video cable?

1: Because people will buy it.
2: It's not. You need three signals for a cable to be balanced, RCA only has 2.

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/13/russ_accessories/

At least they can't advertise their lies anymore!

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
My dad was a huge audiophile but not to the extent that some of these people are/were. He had the krell mono blocks, tube this, tube that and all very nice sounding. He dabbled in the overpriced wires for a while which was to my benefit. He recently gave me about 3 grand worth of silver braided speaker wire about as thick as a garden hose. I have them hooked up to my 800 dollar NHT speakers in my budget home theater.

I can't tell the difference between those and thin cheap copper wire best buy sells.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Gimperial posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/13/russ_accessories/

At least they can't advertise their lies anymore!

Would that it was so. Sadly, from the article: "The ASA can only prevent the Russ Andrews making the same claims again[...]", which makes me suspect that they will repeat their flawed studies with some slightly altered methology, and just keep on pushing their lies. =(

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

wav3form posted:

My dad was a huge audiophile but not to the extent that some of these people are/were. He had the krell mono blocks, tube this, tube that and all very nice sounding. He dabbled in the overpriced wires for a while which was to my benefit. He recently gave me about 3 grand worth of silver braided speaker wire about as thick as a garden hose. I have them hooked up to my 800 dollar NHT speakers in my budget home theater.

I can't tell the difference between those and thin cheap copper wire best buy sells.

When dealing with analog processing the use of tube equipment can make a marked difference to the sound. TC make an amazing tube based compressor that a great many bands use on huge scale tours.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Its a cable with two signal carrying conductors instead of one. At each end its terminated in 3 places instead of 2. So instead of tip (signal) and sleave (ground) 1/4" jacks you have tip (+ve signal), ring (-ve signal) and sleave (ground).

Its called balancing because the impedance of the source and load at either end of both signal conductors is the same. Therefore, any sort of interference will induce equal noise voltage in both wires. The receiver passes the difference between both signal carrying lines and doesn't pass signal common to both lines (noise voltage).

Balanced cables are not expensive in the sense that you can get cheap as poo poo balanced cables just like you can get cheap as poo poo unbalanced cables. Its just that the balanced variety will tend to be a little more expensive than the unbalanced variety. I picked up 8 x 6.0 meters of the cheapest ones Thomann were selling which worked out at €7.30 each I think and I'm pretty much done synthwise. They aren't going to be stepped on or flexed alot so whatever.

Short version: You use balanced cables for common mode noise rejection. You need gear capable of differential signalling for it to work otherwise its just like any other unbalanced cable. You can totally cheap out if you want to.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure. I think they took the whole "3 lines" thing rather literally and are attempting to sell 3x separate unbalanced RCA to RCA cables. Hey, if the sleight of hand works they sell 3 times as much cable right?

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 19, 2011

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
The cable they're selling is probably using balanced cables, but obviously they're using them with an unbalanced connector (and they probably aren't even connecting them properly).

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Nah, it's just that if you chop the cable in half, each side weighs the same. This helps them sit evenly when using cable risers.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Nah, it's just that if you chop the cable in half, each side weighs the same. This helps them sit evenly when using cable risers.

Acrylic?! Feh, that'll completely destroy your mid-range no matter how perfectly balanced your cables are.
I built my own using the finest Swedish pine-oak, the machining took a few days per riser since I did the last few inches using 320 grit sand-paper but the wider sound field made it completely worth it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

longview posted:

Acrylic?! Feh, that'll completely destroy your mid-range no matter how perfectly balanced your cables are.
I built my own using the finest Swedish pine-oak, the machining took a few days per riser since I did the last few inches using 320 grit sand-paper but the wider sound field made it completely worth it.

But are your blacks deeper?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
It took a bit longer to do the video lines since they need a slightly silicony finish on the struts to absord unwanted K-band noise and the odder harmonics thereof, but since the slightness is very severe it took a few attempts. There was an improvement in the blacks but where the silicon struts really shine is in the contrast and overall image warmth, as well as colour purity.

My Quadruplex recordings have never looked better!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I won't lie. I love cable risers. Pointless? Sure. But I love the way they look.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

TheMadMilkman posted:

I won't lie. I love cable risers. Pointless? Sure. But I love the way they look.

By the time you've reached cables that work with risers at all, you're a lost case anyway.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I just got a text message from a mate saying he bought "the best of HD cords. It's meant to be 10 times the data quality of the past ones."

For his PS3 Ill note. Oh, :allears:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

oversteer posted:

Sciency type paper refers to cables giving markedly different results :psyduck:

http://www.eetimes.com/design/audio-design/4015821/Loudspeakers-Effects-of-amplifiers-and-cables--Part-5?pageNumber=0

I can't make sense of their graphs and I have an EE background..

Why SPL (dB) ?
How do they define 'measurements' ?

Very odd.
So, the cables make the signal louder? As in considerably louder?! There's 6 dB and more gain in the peaks in some of these graphs. What the gently caress?

Also, if you were to do a reverse FFT of the values represented in these graph, the result would be the booming voice of god having a poo poo fit, so loud, it'd be breaking earth in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Sunesis posted:

Fantastic video that debunks a lot of these myths and snake oils. Even though they talk about bits and bytes, you can extrapolate a lot of what they say to audiophile nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

I hate this guy only because of his "proper enunciation" on every goddamn word.

"SynTH... SOUND"

ads9fja0s9dfja