Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I enjoyed The Pacific just as much :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

SeanBeansShako posted:

I enjoyed The Pacific just as much :(.

I think I even enjoyed it more! Joe Mazzello :swoon:

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006
I didn't like it much. Looked amazing, but 5 episodes in and I just wasn't connecting with the characters at all, I found it really hard to follow who was who and what was going on.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

seregrail7 posted:

I didn't like it much. Looked amazing, but 5 episodes in and I just wasn't connecting with the characters at all, I found it really hard to follow who was who and what was going on.

I think that is because the storytelling was cliched, and every time something interesting was in danger of happening they would cut straight to R&R or life back in the States.

A series about one of the bloodiest campaigns in history and the spent how many episodes on non-combat poo poo ?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
gently caress digital TV. At least before with a weak signal it was just a bit fuzzy, now it means it freezes up altogether, it's almost as bad as youtube. And all the new channels are just repeats anyway, what was the loving point?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

pisshead posted:

gently caress digital TV. At least before with a weak signal it was just a bit fuzzy, now it means it freezes up altogether, it's almost as bad as youtube. And all the new channels are just repeats anyway, what was the loving point?

Because when it works, and you have a good ariel and cable connecting it to your tv it's a vastly improved picture, and even HD with the right kit. Yes there may be better systems, such as the Japanese one or even the American one. But you're bang on about the repeats. Not to mention the +1 channels and the poo poo shopping channels and useless gaming ones.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Remember when we had a channel about gaming once? proper video game stuff instead of gambling? Good times.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Game Network, hells yea. We have that channel to thank for pioneering the concept of televised sex lines such as Babestation. Ah, memories...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
I'm often left wondering how all these poo poo digital channels make any cash. Shopping channels have an obvious income but other ones have such low viewing figures I can't see how they make any money at all.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I used to work with one of the presenters on Game Network. Not the woman with the weird accent but the big bloke with the lisp. Apparently the woman was a right oval office.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

HERAK posted:

Not to mention the +1 channels
Do you really not find the the +1 channels useful? I think they're a godsend and wish every channel had one. If two shows you want to watch are in the same time slot you can just +1 it.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Akuma posted:

Do you really not find the the +1 channels useful? I think they're a godsend and wish every channel had one. If two shows you want to watch are in the same time slot you can just +1 it.

I find all the +1 stuff useful. You never know when you need another +1 to hit or damage :v:

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dicky B posted:

Game Network, hells yea. We have that channel to thank for pioneering the concept of televised sex lines such as Babestation. Ah, memories...
Not to mention spending at least 50% of their air time just watching somebody play some boring isometric no-name RPG that they were obsessed with.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Akuma posted:

Yes, it's reassuring to know that if I miss the start of anything on ITV2 I can catch it all an hour later.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Horizon could be good tonight, it's about the nature of reality, and the idea of a holographic universe.

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

Brown Moses posted:

Horizon could be good tonight, it's about the nature of reality, and the idea of a holographic universe.

On the one hand, some scientists think this idea could revolutionise the world as we know it. On the other hand, some scientists think that this is a load of bumpf. In conclusion, maybe we'll never know but it makes you think, doesn't it? Doesn't it just? - Every Horizon Episode Ever

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Does anyone remember the old super serious Horizon format?

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

John_Anon_Smith posted:

On the one hand, some scientists think this idea could revolutionise the world as we know it. On the other hand, some scientists think that this is a load of bumpf. In conclusion, maybe we'll never know but it makes you think, doesn't it? Doesn't it just? - Every Horizon Episode Ever

Last week's one about temperature wasn't like this. Probably because it wasn't exactly cutting edge stuff though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Metrication posted:

Does anyone remember the old super serious Horizon format?

You mean when it was good?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Pablo Bluth posted:

Band of Brothers was a BBC co-production, so they can go tell Murdock to swivel. In theory, Sky's exclusive HBO licence doesn't stop future collaborations between the two either.

Yeah, there's no mention of Rome or Extras on the list either, so any BBC co-productions mustn't be included.

I know it's sacrilege to slate it, but I really don't think Band of Brothers is that good. Better than The Pacific (excluding how well the Pacific looked), but far too trite as is the problem with a lot of war films/shows unless they have a "we shouldn't be here" element that you get in things about Vietnam or the Gulf wars. The Thin Red Line is the only WWII thing I can think of that pulls it off well.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

goatface posted:

You mean when it was good?

Basically.

seregrail7
Nov 3, 2006

Idioteque Dance posted:

Not to mention spending at least 50% of their air time just watching somebody play some boring isometric no-name RPG that they were obsessed with.

How dare you speak ill of Legend of Mir!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think my favourite Horizon was one called 'Can we make a star on Earth?'. Brian Cox presented it and it was really interesting to see all these potential fusion reactors being developed. One of them even looked exactly how I pictured a fusion reactor to look like.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Brown Moses posted:

You've just made me remember Equinox, with the laser-mouth.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Kerbtree posted:

You've just made me remember Equinox, with the laser-mouth.

Ah, an Amiga running Octamed! So many memories of creating my own rubbish compositions for AMOS games I never actually finished programming.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Kind of makes me wonder why they don't show Tomorrow's World any more. I suppose it's been replaced by 'Click', but click is pretty much Braniac with consumer gadgets instead of exploding caravans.

Unless Tomorrow's World is today. Then that means tomorrow is the Day After Tomorrow and we're all going to get snowed in and have to live in Mexico.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Uncertain Frog posted:

and also I've never seen Laura Solon before but she was adorable :allears:

Pippa, the woman in the peach dress :love:

Looked good on her.

Edit: How goony. Ugh.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 17, 2011

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

justcola posted:

Kind of makes me wonder why they don't show Tomorrow's World any more. I suppose it's been replaced by 'Click', but click is pretty much Braniac with consumer gadgets instead of exploding caravans.

Unless Tomorrow's World is today. Then that means tomorrow is the Day After Tomorrow and we're all going to get snowed in and have to live in Mexico.

Tomorrow's world was hilarious. I remember one episode, their idea of 'Internet shopping in the future' didn't consist of browsing lists of items with pictures and ordering from a warehouse. It consisted of controlling a loving robot via the internet to stroll down the high street and mechanically pick up all your shopping, it was just ridiculous.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mickolution posted:

Yeah, there's no mention of Rome or Extras on the list either, so any BBC co-productions mustn't be included.

I know it's sacrilege to slate it, but I really don't think Band of Brothers is that good. Better than The Pacific (excluding how well the Pacific looked), but far too trite as is the problem with a lot of war films/shows unless they have a "we shouldn't be here" element that you get in things about Vietnam or the Gulf wars. The Thin Red Line is the only WWII thing I can think of that pulls it off well.

As good as it is, Band of Brothers is always tainted by coming from a book by Stephen E. Ambrose, the liar.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Akuma posted:

They are useful up to a point but since i've got a posh tv with iplayer etc built in and a dvr they are a bit redundant. I'd rather they gave us more channels in HD or upped the bandwidth on the other channels. or used it to stop having channles that only broadcast for part of the day.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Akuma posted:

So why does Dave need a +1 channel? In case you can't wait until tomorrow to see that Top Gear repeat for the fifteenth time that week?

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

NaDy posted:

I think my favourite Horizon was one called 'Can we make a star on Earth?'. Brian Cox presented it and it was really interesting to see all these potential fusion reactors being developed. One of them even looked exactly how I pictured a fusion reactor to look like.

Yes, that was an excellent episode. The final part of the programme asked all the leading nuclear physicists to predict when the first drop of nuclear fusion power would feed into a national grid. I've still the episode, and occasionally dig it out to remind me of their estimates.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Rubbing my hands in glee at the idea of Hell's Kitchen USA starting in just over an hour - last weeks premier had me in complete stitches. Best thing on TV, never-mind ITV2.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

lionlegs posted:

Yes, that was an excellent episode. The final part of the programme asked all the leading nuclear physicists to predict when the first drop of nuclear fusion power would feed into a national grid. I've still the episode, and occasionally dig it out to remind me of their estimates.

What was their verdict? 100 years?

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

Metrication posted:

What was their verdict? 100 years?

Most of them said more like 30 years!

Found that it's all on youtube now. Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXcyH7QE7rU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The real reason +1 channels exist is so the broadcasters can charge companies twice as much for the same amount of advertising

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

+1 channels were handy for a small window of time before telly on demand took off.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Tonight I watched University Challenge, Only Connect and right now I'm in the middle of this episode of Horizon about quantum mechanics which is telling me that reality is just a hologram.

The BBC has just killed my brain! :psyboom:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Only Connect

This seems like a good segue to allow me to say I have the biggest crush on Victoria Coren and I'm not quite sure why...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
How have I never heard of Dead Set before?! Just started watching it and it's really drat good. I can't believe I didn't know that Brooker had written his own TV series.

E: Davina McCall just got eaten by a zombie. This is brill

Forty Two fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 17, 2011