Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always love the New Year's Eve/Day Twilight Zone marathon. That's become one of my few consistent New Year's traditions. Although I was sad that this year they didn't show the Buster Keaton silent movie time travel episode.

I also just rewatched The Lost Room for the first time since it aired. It really was a pretty clever miniseries. I forgot how much the ending really seemed to set up some sort of sequel/TV continuation a la The 4400. At this point I'm sure it will never happen but I'm not sure if I'd honestly like to see the little plot hooks get resolved or just leave it to the imagination.

Unlike their "original movies" I feel like Sci-Fi/Syfy has a much better track record with their miniseries - BSG, Dune/Children of Dune, Lost Room, Tin Man, and Taken were all pretty big viewing and/or critical hits. Does anyone know if they have any miniseries in development? I remember for a number of years they were talking about making Ringworld and The Forever War but I'm sure by this point the former will never happen and the latter is in much better hands with Ridley Scott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Johnny Longtorso posted:

"Star Runners" is by far the best Sci-Fi Original Movie that I've seen. It actually had a couple decent actors (Connor Trineer from Enterprise and James Kyson Lee from Heroes), and it was a constant stream of ripoffs of sci-fi franchises, but at least they had the presence of mind to steal from good things like Star Wars and Battlestar Galactica.

I saw more of a "Serenity meets Pitch Black" ripping off, but it was enjoyable. I was disappointed they killed off Lee's character halfway through, because him and Trineer seemed to be far future Crosby and Hope. With the girl, they could've made sci-fi "Road to..." series.

Chairman Capone posted:

I always love the New Year's Eve/Day Twilight Zone marathon. That's become one of my few consistent New Year's traditions. Although I was sad that this year they didn't show the Buster Keaton silent movie time travel episode.

It's nice if they mix them up time and again. I know that people expect "Time Enough At Last", "Nick of Time", "Its A Good Life", and "Living Doll", but, there was like what, 150 episodes. I mean, it would be nice to see "Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge" once in a while.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

Just search for "Shark biting plane" in youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBizgLZX7W0

There's a sequel to this! Megashark vs Crocasaurus.

CROCASAURUS

MeestarK
Aug 12, 2004
Its cold outside
Is it bad that I like Sanctuary? I mean I hate Amanda Tapping, and this first season was hard to get through, but otherwise I like where they've gone. Tesla is awesome and I actually find myself wanting to watch it every episode.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

angerbot posted:

Being Human didn't need remaking! George will never be the same without Russel Tovey's adorable girlish screaming.

I quite liked Haven, it wasn't the best show ever but it makes a nice trio with Eureka and Warehouse 13. If you liked those shows, chances are you will like Haven.

Awww see, I'm of just the opposite here. I'm interested in seeing a remake of Being Human but that's only becasue I rather like the pilot and haven't had the chance to get on board with the actual series. I liked the cast as it was (and, ya, I know George is the same in both) so I've been worried about seeing the series proper in case I don't like what they made of it.

Merlin, OTOH, I've really enjoyed (note: I have not yet seen he third series, though) and, while I'm totally open to new cool FF on TV and/or reinterpretations of Arthurian legend, I don't really feel the need of a remake here. Especially since Being Human (and Misfits, for that matter) could just as well happen in America with Americans but I'd really like [s]King[/a] Prince Arthur & Merlin to have British accents.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Merlin wasn't bad, for all that it was cheesy as all get out and anachronistic as gently caress. I don't say either of those things as negative though - they made the show.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Legend of the Seeker and Merlin would have made a pretty sweet Friday Fantasy block.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I couldn't deal with the third series of Merlin. Someone on the forums put it best as "one week it's Arthurian Legend, the next week The Fart Monster comes to town."

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
/\ Sounds like that third series is going to be a deal breaker. What is it with the Britsh and fart monsters? I've already had my fill of fart monsters from Doctor Who

GreenNight posted:

Legend of the Seeker and Merlin would have made a pretty sweet Friday Fantasy block.

God do I miss Legend of the Seeker. Why are good, bad, serious, cheesy Fantasy Fiction TV shows so rare?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

angerbot posted:

I couldn't deal with the third series of Merlin. Someone on the forums put it best as "one week it's Arthurian Legend, the next week The Fart Monster comes to town."

Well yeah, it's British.

All that was left for Merlin was to get all up its own rear end trying to be serious and it would hit all the notes of British period shows.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Just some random notes about the channel for this month:

Ghost Hunters International started up their new season tonight, Robb has been jettisoned and Barry is the new team lead. Kris from the original Ghost Hunters has also been added to the team. Britt from GH is also there, but don't expect him to be there long, as he was apparently fired not too long into the season.

Being Human the remake of the British series starts up soon, Monday January 17th. It's been getting good early reviews so far.

Merlin's third season premieres this Friday after Smackdown.

Syfy's new realty series Face Off about a make up special effects competition starts January 26th.

Syfy will be running a day long marathon of the original Green Hornet series which featured Bruce Lee next Tuesday January 11th.

Ani-Monday is apparently Ani-Tuesday now, they're showing Gurren Lagann currently.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
The Green Hornet marathon today has been pretty awesome. Although the series gets really repetitive when you watch a bunch in a row. It will be fun to catch a random episode here and there when they start airing it regularly.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Jane Espenson and Drew Greenberg are developing a pilot for a remake of the British show Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). It deals with a detective who is murdered and comes back as a ghost to help his partner solve crimes. I'm not familiar with the original from the 70s or the remake from 2000. Has anyone seen the original? Did they do much with the premise?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/13/buffy-randall-hopkirk-syfy/

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

King Plum the Nth posted:

/\ Sounds like that third series is going to be a deal breaker. What is it with the Britsh and fart monsters? I've already had my fill of fart monsters from Doctor Who

God do I miss Legend of the Seeker. Why are good, bad, serious, cheesy Fantasy Fiction TV shows so rare?

I caught an episode of Legend of the Seeker early in its second season and got hooked, I was disappointed when I learned it had been canceled. I want my high fantasy camp tv show.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Bump reminder that the U. S. remake of Being Human premieres tonight at 8 PM CST. It'll be on at the same time as The Cape, a little bit of crossover audience there. Being Human will be replayed at 9 PM CST and about 30 more times throughout the week.

Early word seems to be that Being Human has good casting and acts as a worthy enough remake of the original.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

Bump reminder that the U. S. remake of Being Human premieres tonight at 8 PM CST. It'll be on at the same time as The Cape, a little bit of crossover audience there. Being Human will be replayed at 9 PM CST and about 30 more times throughout the week.

Early word seems to be that Being Human has good casting and acts as a worthy enough remake of the original.

Do you think there is enough interest for Being Human to have its own thread? I was surprised that I didn't see one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

LAWLandMine posted:

Do you think there is enough interest for Being Human to have its own thread? I was surprised that I didn't see one.

There should be one if only for the nerds to complain how horrible this one is compared to the original (probably correct though).

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
In the brief preview clip, the new vampire reminds me of Franklin from True Blood, so my hope for the show just shot up a good 6 points. Not that I expect him to behave anything like Franklin if the BBC series is any indication, but at least the guy looks the part.

Nobody will top George as the wolf, though. I just have to accept that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Being Human was pretty good, the only thing which bugged was Pellegrino suprisingly. I'm sure his character will grow on me though as the season goes along.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Being Human was surprisingly not awful.

spe posted:

Are there any particular standouts in this category that are so bad they are good?
They're pretty much all horribad, so if you like cheesy movies, go for it.

They did run Dog Soldiers as an original, which was an honest to god "good" cheesy horror film from the UK.

They also ran Splinter as an original, which is a really good indie horror movie with legitimately good acting and effects and a great monster.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jan 18, 2011

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I posted a brief review of Being Human in the Rate and Review the Midseason Pilots thread. I thought it was okay (mostly for Sam Witwer), but let's face it, given the kind of decisions the monkeys in suits that run this network make, it's going to get canceled before it makes it to two seasons.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

King Plum the Nth posted:

Merlin, OTOH, I've really enjoyed

This invalidates every opinion you've ever had, or will have.

I tried to watch Being Human, but I just got sick of it before the first commercial break. They didn't need to remake it. They could have just bought the rights to replay the series like they did with Doctor Who back when they were still showing it.

I don't know. Maybe if I hadn't seen the real Being Human, I might have been able to get into it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Sanctuary got renewed for a 4th season :dance:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have to say that I surprised myself by not hating the US Being Human. It's early days yet, of course, but I'm actually hopeful.

Or maybe it's that there's hardly anything else worth watching on the telly at the moment.

EDIT - Uh, for those of us who aren't American, what is 'nova' and what's so bad about masturbating to it?

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 19, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't' seen the show yet but I'm assuming it's this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_(TV_series) which is an educational/science show.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's hiarious that they got a poor man's Robert Pattinson to play Mitchell, like the cover of a dark fantasy knicker twitcher. And renamed him Aiden to match.

And new George sucks. He lacks Tovey's charm and timing, and isn't nearly weedy enough.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I guess I'm the only one who likes this George better than the British one. I think it's mostly his voice, it isn't as whiny as the UK one. So that's an American Werewolf I like better, but still liking English Ghosts and Vampires more.

Gorilla Salad posted:

EDIT - Uh, for those of us who aren't American, what is 'nova' and what's so bad about masturbating to it?

Nova is a PBS series that more or less explores various topics of science and history. Masturbating to it would be a lot like masturbating to the July issue of Scientific American. Unless they were doing an episode on Human Sexuality or something, then National Geographic rules apply to showing nudity.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The whole point of George is that he's a meek, weak, miserable guy who has had his life destroyed. It's what makes him turning into a ridiculously violent beast interesting, it's entirely against his character.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The whole point of George is that he's a meek, weak, miserable guy who has had his life destroyed. It's what makes him turning into a ridiculously violent beast interesting, it's entirely against his character.

Yes, I just happen to like this George's portrayal of the situation better. It's not like this George is a happy-go-lucky, outgoing guy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Gyges posted:

Yes, I just happen to like this George's portrayal of the situation better. It's not like this George is a happy-go-lucky, outgoing guy.

He always seemed to be just shy of outright playing his role for laughs.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Updated the OP with info on Face Off which starts next Wednesday and Alphas which starts this summer. Also updated it to include some info about non-originals airing on the channel.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
I just noticed that under old canceled series of dubious quality, you don't have G vs E, The Chronicle, and Andromeda listed, all of which spent some time as Sci Fi channel originals. There's decent enough list on Wikipedia containing some stuff I'd never even heard of before like The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Syfy_programs

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I was mainly highlighting original series they're still airing or things which aren't but which we have threads for. I didn't see those on the schedule, they'd be part of pickups from other networks. Everyone is free to talk about other past shows though which they have shown, always a chance they could bring them back.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Teek posted:

Updated the OP with info on Face Off which starts next Wednesday and Alphas which starts this summer. Also updated it to include some info about non-originals airing on the channel.

I'm am extremely disappointed that Face Off isn't a sitcom based on the movie.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I wish Syfy would show Sliders again. It aired on Fox for the first three seasons, then was picked up by Sci-Fi for the last two. It hasn't been seen in a long rear end time. It seems like a concept which could be revived at some point, just in the hands of competant show runners this time around, and hopefully without a revolving cast.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2011

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Teek posted:

I wish Syfy would show Sliders again. It aired on Fox for the first three seasons, then was picked up by Sci-Fi for the last two. It hasn't been seen in a long rear end time. It seems like a concept which could be revived at some point, just in the hands of competant show runners this time around, and hopefully without a revolving cast.

Sliders is about as good of a candidate for a green screen "virtual sets" show like Sanctuary as I've ever heard. I'd imagine all the set dressing got really expensive.

I'm personally really curious as to what SyFy's plan is to retain all the BSG and Stargate fans that are no doubt leaving the channel in droves right now. They're probably a long way from BSG: Blood and Iron from making it to air. MGM is too broke to embark on another Stargate show. What's left for geek catnip? Babylon 5? Could they resurrect another "classic" space opera franchise like Buck Rogers or maybe Space Above and Beyond?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The last classic show that they tried to redo was Flash Gordan, and the less said about that is better.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Any future series really need to think about where they'll film. BSG worked because it was largely ship based, and when we did see planets they managed to find enough varied locales around Vancouver to make them different. Then you have something like the Flash Gordon remake, which was Earth-based. It was shot in that same area and came off looking cheap.

Going the Sanctuary/Spartacus route seems like it could work for other series, you just have to have talented artists on the back end making everything look good or at least stylized. Then you have something like V which just has horrible green screen work.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

Teek posted:

Any future series really need to think about where they'll film. BSG worked because it was largely ship based, and when we did see planets they managed to find enough varied locales around Vancouver to make them different. Then you have something like the Flash Gordon remake, which was Earth-based. It was shot in that same area and came off looking cheap.

The problem is, SyFy channel is already scraping the bottom of the barrel for filming locations. A lot of their original movies are being shot in dirt poor places in Eastern Europe. At some point, the returns from going into cheaper and cheaper places are getting offset by having to fly in American English speaking actors. And the dollar is plunging which makes the whole situation worse.

bobkatt013 posted:

The last classic show that they tried to redo was Flash Gordan, and the less said about that is better.

Flash Gordon was a trainwreck, as most of the TV remakes have been. I just think Syfy has to reignite an old franchise since I don't believe them to be capable of generating their own really good space opera IP. Farscape was the closest they came, and that was more the Hensons than Syfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!

Teek posted:

Netflix has all of the seasons available on their streaming service, I believe. Hulu has the first three seasons, except for my favorite episode, "The Weaker Sex", in which Arturo runs for mayor of a San Francisco dominated by a matriarchal society. It was a pretty decent show until the switch to Sci-Fi, at which point the whole thing started going off the rails with bizarrely-explained cast changes and way too much focus on the stupid Kromagg Earth invasion plotline.