Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Where do I find a spanner or monkey wrench for a 52mm nut? No one in town has anything close

http://www.ardesign.info/store/ar-design-n54-differential-install-tool.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Sears? I've seen 4" wrenches and sockets before (assuming you live in :911: )
Farm implement stores usually have these sorts of things as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Brigdh posted:

Where do I find a spanner or monkey wrench for a 52mm nut? No one in town has anything close
Ask a Land Rover guy, that's pretty much bang-on the hub nuts on the live axle models.

Fifteen bucks ok? http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6608-hub-nut-tool-2-116-stamped-steel.aspx

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Brigdh posted:

Farm supply store? I got the socket to take the big nut off my axle from a place that mostly sells livestock feed.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I looked at sears, they didn't have anything, but unfortunately the only sears within 50 miles is like a half-sized store.

A socket won't work because the nut has a strut rod going through it, but I didn't think of farm supply stores. I try looking there.

Thanks

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Brigdh posted:

I looked at sears, they didn't have anything, but unfortunately the only sears within 50 miles is like a half-sized store.

A socket won't work because the nut has a strut rod going through it, but I didn't think of farm supply stores. I try looking there.

Thanks

Can you get a pipewrench on it?
I'll assume you've tried industrial supply stores like Fastenal, Grainger etc...

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Have you checked your local Autozone and Advance Auto Parts? They have tool loaner programs and may have a specialty tool large enough for you.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Exhaust shops can sometimes make you stamped steel sockets for larger diameters like that too.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

scapulataf posted:

Can you get a pipewrench on it?
I'll assume you've tried industrial supply stores like Fastenal, Grainger etc...

Yeah, I could. I haven't tried industrial supply stores yet, as I kinda need to get this done by Wednesday.

I found out my lock jaw pliers just barely work, but they marr the nut up. Still would prefer a wrench

grover posted:

Have you checked your local Autozone and Advance Auto Parts? They have tool loaner programs and may have a specialty tool large enough for you.

Advance yes, Checker yes, Autozone no. I don't like the local Autozone.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Buy the cheapest welder at harbor freight with a 20% off coupon in a popular science and make your own?

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

MSC has free one day shipping and you're not getting the needed wrench from them why?

Industrial supply stores have so much poo poo it will make your eyes glaze over and they will ship it to your door next day. I don't see the problem.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Chauncey posted:

MSC has free one day shipping and you're not getting the needed wrench from them why?

Industrial supply stores have so much poo poo it will make your eyes glaze over and they will ship it to your door next day. I don't see the problem.

Because I didn't know they had free one day shipping. I'll look into this right away :)

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

Brigdh posted:

Thanks

That's the Rx-7 strut rod? Just use a pipe wrench and loosen it while its still on the car. Tighten then put on the springs if they are like mine and are lowering.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
Just purchased an Ingersoll impact wrench to kick off my new build :)

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Christobevii3 posted:

Buy the cheapest welder at harbor freight with a 20% off coupon in a popular science and make your own?

gently caress that human being assed poo poo.
Buy some plaster, make a mold for a 52mm socket, then get some old brake rotors, or a bunch of wire coathangers. Buy an O/A torch from harbour freight, melt that poo poo down pour it in to the mold and let it cool.
Take it somewhere to have it chromed and stamepd with a big assed 52MM on it.
Viola, you now have a 52mm socket.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Speaking of harbor freight, are their welders any good? Not for a business or anything, just for occasional use.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Speaking of harbor freight, are their welders any good? Not for a business or anything, just for occasional use.

The little inverter arc one is pretty nice for occasional use, with the understanding it is an arc welder. I have one now, the duty cycle is pretty decent, 35% at full power. It is not the best at light welding, personal opinion.

The rest of the welders suck.

Edit: Link! http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/arc-welders/80-amp-inverter-arc-welder-91110.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Which is to say, all their MIG and TIG stuff sucks. Get a Miller or Lincoln that you won't regret buying.

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

Raluek posted:

Which is to say, all their MIG and TIG stuff sucks. Get a Miller or Lincoln that you won't regret buying.

Their 110(?) amp scratch start inverter TIG isn't a bad little machine. Certainly not for the $165 I paid for it. It's no syncrowave 180, OTOH, it didn't cost $2k either. If you're doing simple mild/stainless steel stuff, it's perfectly adequate as long as you don't need a foot pedal.

ETA: Yes, their MIG stuff blows, as do most of their arc welders, but the little TIG boxes aren't terrible.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Wompa164 posted:

Just purchased an Ingersoll impact wrench to kick off my new build :)

You can't just post that and not give the model number!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I am in the market for a small lathe, and checked the first bit of the thread but was not able to much. I'm in the market for something around 180mm X 250mm. Never having owned a lathe before, and only using one briefly, I am not too educated on the subject.

Where would be some good places to look (in Canada) for lathes, and a general overview of metal lathes?

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

DefaultPeanut posted:

I am in the market for a small lathe, and checked the first bit of the thread but was not able to much. I'm in the market for something around 180mm X 250mm. Never having owned a lathe before, and only using one briefly, I am not too educated on the subject.

Where would be some good places to look (in Canada) for lathes, and a general overview of metal lathes?

Where in Canada are you? Used metalworking machinery is mostly located in the east, GTA and ON in general, QC as well. Much less to be had out west. What kind of parts or work do you plan on doing? I'd be happy to answer any questions about lathes, I'm a 3rd/4th year Machinist apprentice and I work mostly on a manual lathe.

EDIT:

scapulataf posted:

gently caress that human being assed poo poo.
Buy some plaster, make a mold for a 52mm socket, then get some old brake rotors, or a bunch of wire coathangers. Buy an O/A torch from harbour freight, melt that poo poo down pour it in to the mold and let it cool.
Take it somewhere to have it chromed and stamepd with a big assed 52MM on it.
Viola, you now have a 52mm socket.

Please ignore everything this man said, definitely trolling hard. :colbert:

tesko.pk fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 16, 2011

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

tesko.pk posted:

Where in Canada are you

Out West - BC, near Vancouver. I am looking to make a few small things for some bikes I am working on, as they are no longer available and NOS parts are very pricey. Also, having the ability to start with a chunk of stock and turn it into exactly what I need has always fascinated me. My main questions: Who, where and how do I properly get started?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

DefaultPeanut posted:

I've been quite happy with my harbor freight 8x12/14 benchtop lathe. It's got quite a bit of weight (250lbs) for the amount I paid ($360+tooling)

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

tesko.pk posted:

EDIT:

Please ignore everything this man said, definitely trolling hard. :colbert:

Humour, maybe satire.
Someone suggested welding up a socket. I proposed the more manly solution.

tesko.pk
May 7, 2009

DefaultPeanut posted:

Out West - BC, near Vancouver. I am looking to make a few small things for some bikes I am working on, as they are no longer available and NOS parts are very pricey. Also, having the ability to start with a chunk of stock and turn it into exactly what I need has always fascinated me. My main questions: Who, where and how do I properly get started?

Check craigslist, kijiji, industrial auctions, estate sells and the like for used machinery, tooling, and tools. For a budget, plan to spend equal amounts on the machine and tooling for it. As for inspection/measuring tools it all depends on what degree of precision you need, and how much you want to spend. Fowler, Browne and Sharpe offer good quality and are a cheaper investment than Starrett or Mitutoyo tools. A 0-3" set of outside micrometers, 8" Dial calipers, a set of telescoping gauges, a pair of 0-1" dial indicators and a stand, a couple of rulers (and if you plan on threading, a thread center gauge and PD wires) would be a properly good start. For Hand tools, a few sizes of files including lathe, a file card, wrenches, brass hammer, hex wrenches, screwdrivers, hopefully you've got most of that stuff in the toolbox already.

For the Lathe itself, you know what size you want, so consider what other features, attachments and accessories you'd need. Big things like a Digital Read-Out, coolant pump, range of speeds and feeds, steady rest, follower rest, taper attachment, etc. Chucks, standard with a 3-jaw, also available are 4-jaw chucks, faceplates, collet chucks. Tailstock stuff like dead centers, drill chuck, Morse Taper sleeves. The Toolpost style, amount and configuration of holders. When buying a used machine, it's an absolute must to see it running and making chips, inspect it for damage/wear to the ways on the bed and to the cross-slide. Very important to keep in mind is size/weight and power source, for wherever you plan on setting up and running the machine.

Check out local community colleges for training courses, introduction to metal-working and the like, always better to learn and experiment at a school, it's less expensive than on your own stuff.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KaiserBen posted:

Their 110(?) amp scratch start inverter TIG isn't a bad little machine. Certainly not for the $165 I paid for it. It's no syncrowave 180, OTOH, it didn't cost $2k either. If you're doing simple mild/stainless steel stuff, it's perfectly adequate as long as you don't need a foot pedal.

ETA: Yes, their MIG stuff blows, as do most of their arc welders, but the little TIG boxes aren't terrible.

This sounds pretty interesting, I think I'll get this for shits and giggles. I use a Hobart 110V fluxcore/MIG welder from the 70s that has just about every part dying in some new and interesting way, sounds like another fun tool to play with.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If you want the 220v scratch-start TIG, I'll sell you mine. Its in good shape, and has a MadCatz race pedal hooked up (just bakcwards, foot on floor=low amps, foot off=max)... $150+shipping, include a couple of gas lenses and a bunch of tungstens.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

sharkytm posted:

has a MadCatz race pedal hooked up

The gas or the brake? This is important.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
For those that like to DIY and need a fuel injection tester: http://hackaday.com/2011/01/16/20-fuel-injector-tester/

Appears very easy to follow and would be worthwhile for megasquirt users.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The little inverter arc one is pretty nice for occasional use, with the understanding it is an arc welder. I have one now, the duty cycle is pretty decent, 35% at full power. It is not the best at light welding, personal opinion.

The rest of the welders suck.

Edit: Link! http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/arc-welders/80-amp-inverter-arc-welder-91110.html

Seconding everything about the 91110. I really dig mine, but I've never ever gotten it to work right on sheet metal. I can lay a rather nice looking fillet with full penetration at 1/16", 1/8" if I crank on it. The 3/32 7018 rod works well for me. With practice you can lay a much nicer looking weld than any bullcrap flux-core POS, with the added benefit of actually fusing metal together rather than melting poo poo all over the top of things.

I also use and like their auto-darkening helmet with sweet blue flames. I can still see, and I don't get scratchy eyes so I suppose it's working.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I've used their auto darkening helmet quite a bit (non professionally) and really really like it. Not once have I woken up screaming in the middle of the night in pain.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Brigdh posted:

You can't find a pipe wrench for a 2 inch nut? Just go to Home Depot or Lowes. If the big-box hardware stores can't help you a plumbing store or plumber supply store will certainly have your back. I've got one that'll easily go to six inches.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Paul Boz_ posted:

You can't find a pipe wrench for a 2 inch nut? Just go to Home Depot or Lowes. If the big-box hardware stores can't help you a plumbing store or plumber supply store will certainly have your back. I've got one that'll easily go to six inches.

I already got something online that fits the bill, but no, Home Depot didn't have one that was big enough (and no lowes).

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

How can I measure torque on a nut that is only accessible using an open ended box wrench?

Aside from hanging the proper amount of weight from the end on the wrench

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Uh...maybe use a crowfoot on the torque wrench? Probably won't be accurate but it should be enough to get you in the ballpark.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Geoj posted:

Uh...maybe use a crowfoot on the torque wrench? Probably won't be accurate but it should be enough to get you in the ballpark.

If you put a crows foot on at a 90 degree instead of just extending straight out it shouldn't change the torque reading as much because it wont change the lever length as much.

That's thinking abut a beam-style torque wrench. I don't know how it would work with a click kind.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I've been thinking about getting a vibratory tumbler to clean and polish a lot of the rusty but serviceable hardware holding my jalopy together after a colleague who restores motorcycles recommended it. I started looking in the Eastwood catalog before realizing their prices were probably extortionate and was wondering if the same sort of tumblers Cabela's and others sell for brass reloading were just as good (they're certainly cheaper).

Then I realized that HF sells them as well, and for even less; does anybody have any experience with the HF units?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
You could build your own for 25 dollars http://lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24651&view=findpost&p=276072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Geoj posted:

With a little bit of math it can be just as accurate. :eng101:

(New length of arm)/(Old length of arm)=Torque modifier.

So for a 20" wrench, extended 2" with a crows foot, 50 ft-lbs shown on the wrench is actually 55 ft-lbs. Flip the equation if you're going for a certain torque.