Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I just read on another forum that it's recommended you use 1.5V memory with Sandy Bridge. What's that about or is it really an issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

The Ron Jeremy of the coding world
The chipset default voltage is 1.5v, although I don't see why raising it if the RAM requires it would hurt anything. My RAM is supposed to run at 1.65v according to the specs, but it's perfectly stable at 1.5v.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

I've got 1.65 voltage ram and I've tested it at both 1.5v and 1.65v without any problems. Stable running Prime95 both ways. I guess YMMV though.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Anybody have any tips for setting up RAID 0 to run Windows 7 from my two 128gig SSD Drives? I'm looking in the EUFI and it's seeing my other four HD's that I'm putting in RAID 10, but it doesn't recognize the SSD's at all even though they're both present in the boot menu. I'm at a bit of a loss here as this is my first time dealing with RAID. They're all plugged into the Intel controller slots on the P8P67 Pro board.

Unicorn Vomit fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 18, 2011

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I'm flabbergasted by the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus... I'm running voltage at 1.35 instead of 1.32 now, and my temps went from 78s (on stock cooler) to 55s under full load.

My chip doesn't want to go very high though. I'm able to get 4.4Ghz instead of the 4.2 I was at, but it won't even post higher than 4.4 (while it's rock solid AT 4.4 which is weird to me).

I guess I could put more voltage in - 1.35 is still pretty conservative - but I'm a sissy.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Kashwashwa posted:

I'm flabbergasted by the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus... I'm running voltage at 1.35 instead of 1.32 now, and my temps went from 78s (on stock cooler) to 55s under full load.

My chip doesn't want to go very high though. I'm able to get 4.4Ghz instead of the 4.2 I was at, but it won't even post higher than 4.4 (while it's rock solid AT 4.4 which is weird to me).

I guess I could put more voltage in - 1.35 is still pretty conservative - but I'm a sissy.

You actually probably don't want to go much above 1.35 volts, and 4.4 is a decent overclock. You have to remember that not all chips will be the same. And honestly, you're never going to notice a difference between 4.4 and 4.8 anyway.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Symphoric posted:

I've got 1.65 voltage ram and I've tested it at both 1.5v and 1.65v without any problems. Stable running Prime95 both ways. I guess YMMV though.

You've most likely got a lifetime warranty on the RAM, go ahead and run it at whatever the manufacturer put on the label. A lot of high-end DDR2 ran at 2.1, 2.2V whilst stock sticks in Dell machines and such would run at 1.8V. My Ballistix wouldn't even let the system POST if they weren't at 2.2V (had to boot into BIOS with a stick out of a Dell box, kick up RAM voltage, then swap in the Ballistix).

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

movax posted:

You've most likely got a lifetime warranty on the RAM, go ahead and run it at whatever the manufacturer put on the label.
It's not the RAM that'll die. The CPU's integrated memory controller is being overvolted.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Roughly a week and a half almost after official release, and the only real signs of the i7-2600S are from a dozen or so HP desktop variants that are using it. I guess that's probably where the majority of the i7-2600S's went (large OEMs like HP an Dell).

Anyway, guess it's time to order a i5-2500K or a i7-2600.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

The Metal Avenger posted:

Anybody have any tips for setting up RAID 0 to run Windows 7 from my two 128gig SSD Drives? I'm looking in the EUFI and it's seeing my other four HD's that I'm putting in RAID 10, but it doesn't recognize the SSD's at all even though they're both present in the boot menu. I'm at a bit of a loss here as this is my first time dealing with RAID. They're all plugged into the Intel controller slots on the P8P67 Pro board.

Are you sure they're in the right ports? The light gray ones, not the dark blues?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Spatial posted:

It's not the RAM that'll die. The CPU's integrated memory controller is being overvolted.

Dammit, I keep forgetting memory has moved on chip! :downs:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm running 1.65v RAM at 1.54v at the moment. Intel says the safe range is +/- 5%, which would be 1.575v at the upper bound.

Altho reading out the SPD, it says 1.5v everywhere except for the XMP profile for DDR3-1600, so I could probably try running it at 1.5v safely.

Hank Killinger
Jul 13, 2008

You can also give the Win7 Software RAID spin; the performance difference will likely be negligible. (see links)
http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=429
http://analogbit.com/intel_ssd_raid0

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Anyone know a reliable memory tester for this platform? Memtest86 reboots after a few seconds and Memtest86+ locks up after detecting 0 MHz of DDR3-0000. The Windows testers (prime95, OCCT) run for hours without a problem, but my games have been crashing with suspicious frequency, one pointing specifically to corrupt data when I know the data is good. The Windows Memory Diagnostic gave me a very generic "Hardware Errors Found" but I'd like to back it up with something more verbose.

I'm running RAM rated at 1.65v (XMP) at 1.5v (SPD) which has almost identical timings as the XMP spec save for tRC or tRS or something. It's possible I need to give it a bit more voltage, or I just got some bad memory.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a 4.20 beta of Memtest86+ for Sandy Bridge.

R1CH
Apr 7, 2002

Thanks, unfortunately it confirmed my memory is bad :(. If it were low voltage I would expect random errors everywhere right? Currently there is a 1 bit error at two addresses very close to each other which I suspect is a bad module.

EDIT: Bumped to 1.55v and now it seems fine?

R1CH fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 19, 2011

The Leon Hikari
Jan 6, 2007
Lollylops?

Hank Killinger posted:

You can also give the Win7 Software RAID spin; the performance difference will likely be negligible. (see links)
http://kmwoley.com/blog/?p=429
http://analogbit.com/intel_ssd_raid0

Can't boot from a windows software raid.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Squibbles posted:

I just looked this up...
- Stores a backup header and partition table at the end of the disk that aids in recovery if the main copy is clobbered.
- CRC32 checksums to detect errors and corruption of the partition table.

The last two seem really nice in particular.

Thanks.

\/\/\/\/\/e: I don't think that board is capable of it. Or at least ASUS and none of the reviews seem to say it. They do say the red USB/eSATA ports are designed for charging devices with higher energy requirements though. Have you tried plugging it into one of them and giving it a shot?

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 19, 2011

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm using the Asus P8P67 Pro and was wondering if there's some way that I can get the USB ports to be powered when the system is switched off. My old Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus would keep supplying power to the USB ports, thus enabling me to charge my wireless mouse while the system was switched off.

Is there any way to do this on this board? I've tried looking in the BIOS, but can't find any obvious option to enable this behaviour.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Gunder posted:

I'm using the Asus P8P67 Pro and was wondering if there's some way that I can get the USB ports to be powered when the system is switched off. My old Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus would keep supplying power to the USB ports, thus enabling me to charge my wireless mouse while the system was switched off.

Is there any way to do this on this board? I've tried looking in the BIOS, but can't find any obvious option to enable this behaviour.

According to my informal test of turning off my computer with some peripherals plugged in, the internal USB headers remain powered when the computer's off. That's according to a laptop drive and an iPod, at least. So plug in the ports on the front of the case or get a drive-bay hub.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

According to my informal test of turning off my computer with some peripherals plugged in, the internal USB headers remain powered when the computer's off. That's according to a laptop drive and an iPod, at least. So plug in the ports on the front of the case or get a drive-bay hub.

This didn't work for me. The front panel connector also powered down completely when I shut the thing off.

Jos
Feb 13, 2007
I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

Gunder posted:

This didn't work for me. The front panel connector also powered down completely when I shut the thing off.

I guess you could look around in the bios (sorry I mean UEFI) power options maybe try switching from S1 to S3 and fiddle around a little with what's available.

Other option: get a usb hub with its own power supply. Could you let us know how this works out? I'd be interested in that as well (haven't ordered anything yet).

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Jos posted:

I guess you could look around in the bios (sorry I mean UEFI) power options maybe try switching from S1 to S3 and fiddle around a little with what's available.

Other option: get a usb hub with its own power supply. Could you let us know how this works out? I'd be interested in that as well (haven't ordered anything yet).

What's the S1 and S3 mean?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
They're sleep states you can configure in the BIOS/UEFI.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Was able to resolve this myself by turning on the "Wake on PS/2 Mouse" option in the BIOS, even though it's a USB mouse. It now charges the mouse when it's off.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Gigabyte is going to do a p67 mITX board:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20219

Hope they do UEFI but its not a dealbreaker for me.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
People have talked about memory prices dropping like rocks:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383035

$60 for 8gb (4gb x 2) of some fancy Patriot ram. Highly reviewed on Amazon and Newegg

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Thanks for the replies about my RAID question earlier, I finally got them to work by plugging only the SSD's into the intel RAID, setting RAID0 and installing Win7, then plugging in my 4 other HD's into the other intel slots and setting them as RAID 5 later. Bit of a hassle, but it worked.

Edit: Can somebody refer me to a good beginner's guide to overclocking on Sandy Bridge architecture? I've never really overclocked at all, besides messing with my last setup for a few hours.

Unicorn Vomit fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 20, 2011

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

bacon! posted:

People have talked about memory prices dropping like rocks:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383035

$60 for 8gb (4gb x 2) of some fancy Patriot ram. Highly reviewed on Amazon and Newegg

I bought the 4GB kit version of this RAM and I wasn't impressed. The RAM needed 1.65V just to run at 1333MHz! At 1.5V this ram will only do 1066MHz. I really didn't want to go over 1.58V on my Sandy setup, so I eventually returned the RAM. I got some PNY 1333MHz RAM. Runs great at 1.5V, and will do 1600MHz at 1.58V.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
This OC guide is pretty noob friendly but touches on lots of stuff.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

This OC guide is pretty noob friendly but touches on lots of stuff.

Not to derail this thread too much with overclocking talk, but following this guide whenever I increase my multiplier the motherboard decreased the bus speed to keep my i2500lk at 3.3. Is there something I'm missing, or that isn't explained in the guide?

Edit: Is it possible I have a locked regular 2500, even though the EUFI displays it as a 2500k? Because no matter what I try it won't break the 3.3 Core Speed barrier.

Unicorn Vomit fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 21, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Which mobo do you have and which software are you using to check CPU speed? I can't think of which setting would cause that, power saving maybe? I'm sure the UEFI is correct on your CPU, but you could always check the box again or use Intel's CPU ID tool if you really wanted.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Not to derail this thread too much with overclocking talk, but following this guide whenever I increase my multiplier the motherboard decreased the bus speed to keep my i2500lk at 3.3. Is there something I'm missing, or that isn't explained in the guide?

Edit: Is it possible I have a locked regular 2500, even though the EUFI displays it as a 2500k? Because no matter what I try it won't break the 3.3 Core Speed barrier.

Asus board? Update the BIOS. I couldn't change my multiplier above 33 until I went to 1053 (P8P67 Pro, shipped with 0405 or somesuch).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
H67 board, perhaps?

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

I just doubled checked everything and I definitely have a P8P67 Pro and an i-2500k. I've already flashed my BIOS to 1053 as well. Maybe I'll try downgrading the BIOS since it's considered beta still. This is really frustrating.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dumb question: are you committing changes/CLR_CMOS jumper not set? How much have you increased the mult by? Messing with BCLK (in large amounts) is just asking for trouble with 6-series chipsets, the BIOS shouldn't be doing that.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

movax posted:

Dumb question: are you committing changes/CLR_CMOS jumper not set? How much have you increased the mult by? Messing with BCLK (in large amounts) is just asking for trouble with 6-series chipsets, the BIOS shouldn't be doing that.

My BIOS remembers my RAID, and every change I make so I'm sure the CMOS jumper is set properly. Also here's a screen shot of what keeps happening. My multiplier jumps between x16 and x34 (depending on the load) with optimized defaults set in the BIOS, and the bus speed constantly jumps all over the place. I have a brand new 650 watt Corsair power supply and a Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, with temps between 33-55 depending on load, so I don't think the boards fried.

Edit: Downgrading the BIOS has stopped the bus speed from jumping all over the place, however it still scales down to keep the Core Speed at 3300 MHz at full load, without fail.

Unicorn Vomit fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 21, 2011

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Edit: Downgrading the BIOS has stopped the bus speed from jumping all over the place, however it still scales down to keep the Core Speed at 3300 MHz at full load, without fail.

Have you disabled all the automated frequency control settings like "System Turbo Control" and "OS Turbo Control" and "C1E"?

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Wedesdo posted:

Have you disabled all the automated frequency control settings like "System Turbo Control" and "OS Turbo Control" and "C1E"?

Here are some embarrassingly low quality cellphone shots of my EUFI settings. Please tell me I'm missing something completely obvious so I don't have to tear my new computer apart to return the motherboard.

Click here for the full 648x484 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's under advanced. :)