Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Is it possible to put a widget bar inside of this scroll pane jquery plugin?

http://jscrollpane.kelvinluck.com/basic.html

http://www.kelvinluck.com/assets/jquery/jScrollPane/jScrollPane.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

jackpot posted:

That's what I was afraid of. I'm trying to add WP to a client's site, and godaddy is bitching because her site's on a Windows plan and it doesn't have IIS7. But her entire site is this flash thing generated through wix.com, and I'm afraid to make any big changes; I don't want to upgrade to IIS7 (or migrate to Linux) and get WP working, only to find out I've killed the rest of her site. I'm waiting to hear back from the Wix folks about this. Thanks!

Don't do that to yourself. Make it a subdomain and host it elsewhere.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
And get your client off GoDaddy, they're a terrible company and even worse host.

cheesypeanut
Apr 4, 2004
w3rd. ngr wut.

Bobx66 posted:

Is it possible to put a widget bar inside of this scroll pane jquery plugin?

I don't see why it wouldn't; the widget stuff takes place server side and the jQuery code client side.

And yes, GoDaddy sucks. Save yourself plenty of misery in the long run and sever all ties.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
I've started a new Wordpress blog as of this month. Nothing too serious, just weekly reviews posts. We've started to publicize this site and now I'm really attempting to make an effort to optimize it, reading about SEO, etc. I admit I'm not that fluent with all the backend Wordpress stuff.

I'd like more functionality in regard to stats and Google results. My dashboard shows no incoming links (though I know we have incoming links)and when I use the Markup Validation Service, I get lots of error results. Not sure how relevant this is - to be honest it's a lots of technobabble to me. Is it worth the time to go through and correct them?

I used to have Google Analytics for Wordpress on my dashboard as well, but it would pull results for http://myblog.com myblog.com, https://www.myblog.com etc. I de-activated it simply because those results seemed pretty meaningless to interpret. Researching the issue gave me this link but I'm not at the knowledge level to understand/interpret that.

Hopefully this is a site I'm going to put lots more time and effort into, but if I can, I'd like to have everything running somewhat smoothly. If anyone could assist with this, I'd be grateful/willing to reimburse if need be.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Kitsch! posted:

:words:

Just wanted to post and say Kitsch! and I have been discussing her issues over AIM.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Hey does anyone have any recomendations for a free ad rotation script? Preferably one with a javascript output that I can give to my ad network to serve when there is remnant ad space?

Or should I just drop the $37 on OIO Publisher?

dustin10
Jul 24, 2003
I am looking for a plugin that will help me with the following situation. I am the administrator of the site. I want each of my employees to have their own blog on the site. An employee should only be able to access his blog and no one else's in the backend. The main site url is site.com, I want the employees blog to be accessible by site.com/employee.

Any recommendations?

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009

Kitsch! posted:

I'd like more functionality in regard to stats and Google results. My dashboard shows no incoming links (though I know we have incoming links)
Google doesn't show all links. But if you manually make a Google Webmaster Account and log in you can see all links that Googlebot found.

quote:

and when I use the Markup Validation Service, I get lots of error results. Not sure how relevant this is - to be honest it's a lots of technobabble to me. Is it worth the time to go through and correct them?
For accessibility? Sure. For SEO? Nope, no value in a validating site. Allthough Google says: Use correct HTML, its very good at fixing webmaster errors.

quote:

I used to have Google Analytics for Wordpress on my dashboard as well, but it would pull results for http://myblog.com myblog.com, https://www.myblog.com etc. I de-activated it simply because those results seemed pretty meaningless to interpret.
Every visitor is a visitor, doesn't matter which url you see.

quote:

Researching the issue gave me this link but I'm not at the knowledge level to understand/interpret that.
Your site is already canonical, or largely canonical.

If you type your sitename without the https://www. it gets added automatically. For search engines this means your pages are already consolidated to one page.

If you want canonical on all your pages, install the Yoast Wordpress SEO plugin. You'll have breadcrumbs, XML-sitemaps, auto-canonical, custom page titles: everything you need.

quote:

Hopefully this is a site I'm going to put lots more time and effort into, but if I can, I'd like to have everything running somewhat smoothly. If anyone could assist with this, I'd be grateful/willing to reimburse if need be.
Search engine accessibility is important, but a Wordpress install is very known to the search bot. You'd really have to screw it up, for negative SEO effect. I would install the SEO plugin and forget about on-page perfection. Focus your time and energy into writing great marketable quality content. That is the only thing that really carries SEO benefit.

pixelpusherbot
Jun 3, 2009

dustin10 posted:

I am looking for a plugin that will help me with the following situation. I am the administrator of the site. I want each of my employees to have their own blog on the site. An employee should only be able to access his blog and no one else's in the backend. The main site url is site.com, I want the employees blog to be accessible by site.com/employee.

Any recommendations?
You might be able to do this with custom templates, and author pages on a single install. If you really want to give them different blogs, with different themes and widgets take a look at Wordpress Mu (http://mu.wordpress.org/) which I just saw is becoming Wordpress core and is called: Multisite / network of sites.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_Multiple_Blogs
http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I am thinking of using Wordpress to catalog a collection of antiques. I would set it up offline and the categories and tagging system would work well for the collection. Each post would be a single antique with a jpg image. However, the big difficulty for this would be the ability to print out the posts in at least two different ways:

1. A gallery of 2 x 3 posts with a thumbnail for each image and the item category and tags per printed page

2. A list format showing just the items with no images in a manner similar to how you see the posts in the wordpress posts list

I figure 1 could be accomplished by some theme/page but I have no clue how to do 2. Any thoughts on this?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
#2 would be very simple. Just go a get_posts and have it pull all the posts and put them in order by title.

then do something like this
code:
echo '<ul>';
while ( have_posts() ) : the_post()) {
echo '<li><a href="' . the_permalink() .'">' . the_title() . '</a></li>';
}
echo '</ul>';
Then you have a list of all your posts.

Bonus points if you set up a custom post type!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

That's a good start but I also want to show the category and tags as well in the list.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

clockworkjoe posted:

That's a good start but I also want to show the category and tags as well in the list.

the_tags(); the_category();

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any customizable calculator sidebar widget that could be used for real estate for calculating agents' commission? I'm working on a website for a real estate business that would like to utilize something like this on their "Join our Team!" page where a potential agents could input the gross commission from a sale and the calculator could break down the fees and spit out the net commission.

Something like this, but that would include a drop-down to represent 3 different splits:
http://www.cbdanforth.com/commission-calculator

Alternatively, if anyone could develop one, send me a PM.

Gaff Tape
Dec 31, 2005
Black sticky absorbant bliss.
I'm still at the point of activating a theme and am stumped.

I downloaded and installed the Workaholic theme from Graph Paper Press and for some reason it won't operate correctly.

My process:
Unzipped the file
FTP'd it to my themes folder on my hosted site
Went into the dashboard and activated the theme

This is what comes up:

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

(I realize that it's only the preview, go to https://www.randomhardware.com for the actual site)

I know very little about HTML or Javascript, but it seems as if neither the images nor the dynamic parts of the theme are working - google searches point towards permissions issues? I'm hosting on Dreamhost, if that helps.

Something that's tipping me off is a missing image tag where the theme's thumbnail would normally be in the appearance tab of my dashboard - any ideas?

Edit:

Ned posted:

Check the permissions on the sub directories in the theme.

That was it, changed the theme's directory to 755 from 700 and everything showed up.

Gaff Tape fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 8, 2011

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Check the permissions on the sub directories in the theme.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
There is a joomla plugin I am desperate to get working in Wordpress as I tried to get to know joomla and it confused the gently caress out of me. This is the plugin site
http://www.hook4free.com/cms/plugins/480-table-boss-restaurant-reservation-plugin.html

Any ideas on how to get it working? Or am I screwed? its for table management in a restaurant.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Joomla plugins work in Joomla. Wordpress plugins work in Wordpress.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
yeah but they are both based in php right? I genuinely have no idea how hard it would be to convert one to the other. But I reckon there is a market for this plug-in in wordpress.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

I genuinely have no idea how hard it would be to convert one to the other.

Insignificantly different from starting from scratch.

Edit: by which I mean that when writing Joomla addons, and Wordpress plugins, you aren't so much writing with PHP, as you are writing with Joomla/Wordpress, and just happen to be using PHP syntax. Thats not precisely the case, but if the difference/disjoint between joomla programming and wordpress programming is lost on you, then me saying "same as taking a windows program and porting it to X11 - hey they're both in C right" would be utterly lost on you, I guess.

KuruMonkey fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 10, 2011

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

KuruMonkey posted:

Insignificantly different from starting from scratch.

hmm thanks. Any idea of how long it would take a decent php programmer to build? Just looking at what it would cost to get someone to do it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

thegasman2000 posted:

hmm thanks. Any idea of how long it would take a decent php programmer to build? Just looking at what it would cost to get someone to do it.

From looking at the feature set (but not the actual app or code), I'd expect to pay a couple thousand if I contracted out for it.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

Twiin posted:

From looking at the feature set (but not the actual app or code), I'd expect to pay a couple thousand if I contracted out for it.

The feature set is way more than I need. I want a page where people can go and enter the time they want to eat, see what tables are available and "book" one.

Is this something you would consider doing as a contract? TBH I think If I had the skill I would do it and make it a paid Plug-in.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

Honestly? Cheaper to pay someone else to build you the site you wanted in Joomla so that you can use the plugin you need.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

KuruMonkey posted:

Honestly? Cheaper to pay someone else to build you the site you wanted in Joomla so that you can use the plugin you need.

I appreciate the honesty! It seems I am going to have to get my head around joomla then.... its so different to Wordpress and seemingly illogical.

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

its so different to Wordpress and seemingly illogical.

Joomla is harder work than Wordpress for sure. The reason we went over to WP at work was that clients would come in for me to show them around the admin area for their new site...and just give up after seeing the Joomla system.

With WP our clients actually DO update their sites by themselves :)

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

KuruMonkey posted:

Joomla is harder work than Wordpress for sure. The reason we went over to WP at work was that clients would come in for me to show them around the admin area for their new site...and just give up after seeing the Joomla system.

With WP our clients actually DO update their sites by themselves :)

Yeah its easy, if something isn't easy on the web it tends to stay static. Any tips for getting joomla going? Good tutorials etc?

I am seriously considering telling my client it cant be done :(

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Kitsch! posted:

Are there any customizable calculator sidebar widget that could be used for real estate for calculating agents' commission? I'm working on a website for a real estate business that would like to utilize something like this on their "Join our Team!" page where a potential agents could input the gross commission from a sale and the calculator could break down the fees and spit out the net commission.

Something like this, but that would include a drop-down to represent 3 different splits:
http://www.cbdanforth.com/commission-calculator

Alternatively, if anyone could develop one, send me a PM.

Reposting this before I go to SA-Mart, appropriate reimbursement will be provided for this project. :)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I'm focusing on making a post gallery custom page. I understand the basics of the loop but I want to do a grid of posts - 2x2 or 2x3. What I can't understand is how to set that up

So for a gallery of 4 posts you would have a 2x2 grid like this

POST 1 | POST 2
--------------------------
POST 3 | POST 4

Let's say it's in a html table to make it easy. Cell 1 is post 1, cell 2 is post 2 and so forth.

Logically, I guess odd posts would start a table row, while even posts would end a table row. What's the syntax for that?

<?php if ( have_posts() ) : while ( have_posts() ) : the_post(); ?>

<?php if ( Post is odd ) ) { ?>
<TR> THE POST
<?php } else { ?>
THE POST </TR>
<?php } ?>
<?php endwhile; ?>

Second question: What's the easiest way to associate an image with a given post? I want each post to be formatted like this

Post title
450 pixel wide image
Post category, post tags

What's the best of doing that?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
ohgod. A table isn't going to make it easy. Stick each one in a div and float them or something.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Twiin posted:

ohgod. A table isn't going to make it easy. Stick each one in a div and float them or something.

Why?

This isn't meant to be viewed as a normal web page. This is only meant to be printed as a contact sheet. Simpler is better.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

clockworkjoe posted:

Why?

This isn't meant to be viewed as a normal web page. This is only meant to be printed as a contact sheet. Simpler is better.

Simpler is better, I agree. Which is simpler?

code:
<table>
	<tr>
		<td>Content</td>
		<td>Content</td>
	</tr>
	<tr>
		<td>Content</td>
		<td>Content</td>
	</tr>
</table>
Or

code:
<div>Content</div>
<div>Content</div>
<div>Content</div>
<div>Content</div>

div {width:50%;float:left;}

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

All right, fair enough. This is what I'm trying to make:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I think I'm getting a hang of writing the template page I want but I'm stuck at getting the posts I want. I've set up a loop for generating the posts but I don't know how to tell it to select certain types of posts

so for example I have this
<?php if (have_posts()) : ?>

but how do I tell it to select the right posts?

Right now, I set up a custom template page to test this out and it only gets the page. I want it get the first 4 posts of a certain category or date or whatever.

Herr FLSH
Feb 10, 2006

Regex question!

I'm working on a category page for a custom post type called articles in WP 3.1, and I'm having some trouble with extracting the page number.

The url: /articles/category/background/

Currently, what works for me, from my functions.php:

code:
add_action( 'init', 'wpse7379_init' );
function wpse7379_init() {
    add_rewrite_rule(
        'articles/category/([^/]+)(/page/([0-9]+))/?$',
        'index.php?post_type=articles&category_name=$matches[1]&paged=$matches[2]',
        'top'
    );
}
This internally rewrites the url to: /index.php?post_type=articles&category_name=background

I'm trying to make the pagination work by expanding the rewrite rule, but it's not working for me.

The pagination works as follows: /articles/category/background/page/2/

New rule:
code:
add_rewrite_rule(
    'articles/category/([^/]+)(/page/([0-9]+))/?$',
    'index.php?post_type=articles&category_name=$matches[1]&paged=$matches[2]',
    'top'
);
This should rewrite the url to: /index.php?post_type=articles&category_name=background&paged=2

When I try /index.php?post_type=articles&category_name=background&paged=2 it works, but the url that gets rewritten doesn't. Its just displaying the first page, no matter what I enter as pagenumber.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm guessing is the regex I added, I think I'm looking for a proper regex, I kinda suck at regexes, so I guess thats the problem?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
"Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, I'll use regular expressions.' Now they have two problems."

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

code:
<?php query_posts ('posts_per_page=4'); ?>

<table>
<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post(); ?>
  <?php if (($wp_query->post_count) % 2) : ?>
  <TR><TD>
     <?php the_title(); ?>
     <?php the_content('Read the rest of this entry &raquo;'); ?>
      <p>Categories: <?php the_category(' '); ?></p>
      <?php the_tags('Tags:', ', ', '<br />'); ?> </TD>
      <?php endwhile; ?>

<?php else : ?>

<td>
	  <?php the_title(); ?>
      <?php the_tags('Tags:', ', ', '<br />'); ?> </TD> </TR>
      <?php endwhile; ?>
<?php endwhile; ?>
</table>

<?php posts_nav_link('','','&laquo; Previous Entries') ?>
<?php posts_nav_link('','Next Entries &raquo;','') ?>

<?php endif; ?>
Getting Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENDWHILE on line 31 - which is the last endwhile.

What's wrong?

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

clockworkjoe posted:

Getting Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENDWHILE on line 31 - which is the last endwhile.

What's wrong?

Not an expert on this, but it looks like you've got your
code:
nested wrong. I don't think you need to make Wordpress re-execute the loop when you're just trying to close out the table for the last entry on the page. Also, like Twiin said earlier, using <div>s will make this all substantially easier.

Lastly, re selecting the right posts, using something like
code:
query_posts( 'cat=4' );
or using
code:
get_post
should work. Just check out the definition pages for those functions on the Codex (http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/get_posts and http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags/query_posts have a ton of info and examples).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I'm using tables because this just has to be printed out via a desktop printer for my printer - I don't care how it looks on other browsers or whatever - it's for internal use only.

I've got it working kinda

code:
<?php
/*
Template Name: Post Gallery 2
*/
?>
<?php query_posts (4); ?>
<table>

<?php if (($wp_query->post_count) % 2) : ?>
       <!-- odd Do your post header stuff here for excerpts-->
         <TR><TD>
     <?php the_title(); ?>
      <?php the_tags('Tags:', ', ', '<br />'); ?> </TD>
       <!-- Do your post footer stuff here for excerpts-->
     <?php endwhile; ?>

<!-- even Do your post header stuff here for single post-->
         <td>
	  <?php the_title(); ?>
      <?php the_tags('Tags:', ', ', '<br />'); ?> </TD> </TR>
       <!-- Do your post footer stuff here for single post-->
     <?php endwhile; ?>

<?php endif; ?>

<!-- Stuff to do if there are no posts-->

<?php endif; ?>
The problem now is that it reads all posts as even posts.

<?php if (($wp_query->post_count) % 2) : ?> is not working to register odd posts as odd.