Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Anyway I emailed him. Kinda curious to see if he really meant to type "5 speed" or if he just typoed there.

He's convinced it's a 5-speed, and that it's original, but he'll "call someone and verify".

And he just jacked the price up to $7500. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Some goofier people count reverse as a gear, hence 4 forward, one reverse gear, or 5 speeds.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

He's convinced it's a 5-speed, and that it's original, but he'll "call someone and verify".

That's still alot of money for a car that's slower than current-gen Civics. I'd love to get one myself, I really like that body style, but they're just so drat hard to find in good shape for a reasonable price (and the engines are terribly weak in the horsepower department while still getting lovely mileage)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

dreesemonkey posted:

Hardly an amazing deal, but this would be an excellent candidate for an autox build. Pretty good find for the area assuming it's in fair condition.

Every drat 91 Civic hatch around here is that same color. I had one, I always see the one you linked running around, and there are at least 2 more besides.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I think this is actual gold if you want a hell of an offroad truck:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/2157368103.html

It's an F-350 with a V10 that's shortened and bobbed in the back with all kinds of off-roading goodies. He seemed to spare no expense with stuff--ARB air lockers, KC lights, Warn winch, etc. are all top of the line and pretty expensive. This is on top of the stout as hell F350 platform (Dana 60 front axle and Dana 80 rear!). The chopping looks very clean in photos and the overall proportions of the truck are badass. I bet this guy has at least 4x the asking price in accessories and work done to it. $6300 OBO seems like a hell of a steal. I tried to convince my friend to look at it but he hates Fords. :(

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 19, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Walk away. The guys a moron either way. Ask him if you need to take the glass out of the T-Top for the convertible roof to work.

Post the reply please.

Also, I was sarcastic about my motorcycle transmission holding back the 350. :)

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

mod sassinator posted:

It's an F-350 with a V10 that's shortened and bobbed in the back with all kinds of off-roading goodies. He seemed to spare no expense with stuff--ARB air lockers, KC lights, Warn winch, etc. are all top of the line and pretty expensive. This is on top of the stout as hell F350 platform (Dana 60 front axle and Dana 80 rear!). The chopping looks very clean in photos and the overall proportions of the truck are badass. I bet this guy has at least 4x the asking price in accessories and work done to it. $6300 OBO seems like a hell of a steal. I tried to convince my friend to look at it but he hates Fords. :(
It's hardly a good candidate for wheeling though, hence the shortening. Surprised he didn't go with a bigger winch too.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Houston is a loving goldmine.

Volvo s70 tutbo
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168104799.html

Click here for the full 903x685 image.

Does anyone know if this Corvette is for real? Looks hinky but what do I know.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168102449.html

take one step closet to becoming the next IOwnCalculus
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168085144.html

Click here for the full 737x521 image.

so many crazy little quips at the end of posts

"No legacy is so rich as honesty." <3 ~~[William Shakespeare]~~
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168016197.html

Click here for the full 1236x684 image.

THE BEST, JERRY! THE BEST!

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 19, 2011

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

The Rocket Salad posted:

Does anyone know if this Corvette is for real? Looks hinky but what do I know.
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2168102449.html

Real Grand Sports were never made in yellow, and those aren't the Grand Sport wheels. All LT4 'vette throttle bodies say Grand Sport on them, even if they're not actually a GS. What an rear end.

E: and it doesn't have the flared fenders and the wheels are all mounted backwards.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 19, 2011

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

mod sassinator posted:

I bet he gets asked if that's a Raptor frequently.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sir Tonk posted:

That's still alot of money for a car that's slower than current-gen Civics. I'd love to get one myself, I really like that body style, but they're just so drat hard to find in good shape for a reasonable price (and the engines are terribly weak in the horsepower department while still getting lovely mileage)

Honestly, I can accept the lack of sheer speed for the wonderful noise it makes and the body styling, but you're right, it really is a bitch to find one that's in decent condition and isn't grossly overpriced.

C4s are all over the place (one guy stubbornly clung to an ~$8K asking price for his 1984 auto for like nine months, some guys put their 88s up for ~$6K) but anything with an LT1 seems to almost always command a significant price premium, and C5s are never ever seen intact for less than five digits.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 19, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

and C5s are never ever seen intact for less than five digits.
I would love a mint, stock C5 (doesn't even have to be a z06) but they're pretty much impossible to find up here for less than mid 20s last time I looked.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
That 1996 does indeed have a lt4, all manual transmission 96s had lt4s. It is not a grand sport however. I would think it would sell under 10K if the seller was realistic and not retarded. Real GS sell south of 14K these days in baby diaper wiper quality.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Hey, guys, I'm having a baby and using that as an excuse to get a huge diesel SUV:

quote:

Hey all, just thought I would give it a try on here and see if anyone would be interested in a 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T RSPEC. Color is black on black. It has approx. 11,500 miles. I am asking $22700, which is my payoff. I have pics that I will upload tonight once I get home. I have a Dynojet CMD that I can include if you'd like. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the car, I just found out I have a daughter on the way and need a SUV. In fact, if you have a good mileage Denali XL, Excursion (turbo deisel, no gas), I would be interested in a trade of sorts. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
22.7 is way high for year old genesis coupe with that many miles on it isn't it?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
This duster has a buddy! (Why no mention of price & the Superbird??)

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2147082052.html

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Holy poo poo I want both of those so bad.

content:

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2162795168.html

'68 Coronet wagon (check out the photos)

Click here for the full 1101x733 image.

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii110/pwrmd/Coronet

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 19, 2011

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

rscott posted:

22.7 is way high for year old genesis coupe with that many miles on it isn't it?

They sticker at that price

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey man, can't blame him. That's what he paid for it. :colbert:

True story: I had a cousin (via marriage, not blood thank god) that bought a brand new VW a few years back. She was in her early 20s and it was her first brand new car. After a few months she went back to the dealer and almost went apeshit when she couldn't just "return it" like it was a toaster at Walmart or something.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This just got reposted again:

quote:

DATSUN 280-Z coupe, 1978 - $8200 (Gladstone,OR)

This is a 5-speed, factory AC car that had the exterior stripped to bare metal and repainted the original copper/brown color, base coat/clear coat this time. New brown cloth seat kit installed; looks and feels great. Later 280-ZX factory aluminum wheels, good tires. Gorgeous car, inside and out. This car gets driven on a regular basis and has current Oregon license/tags. $8200. Would consider trades, up or down; vehicles only, please. Looking for a 1953-64 Studebaker coupe/hardtop (second childhood, you know), or a 58-63 Thunderbird, T-bird. 503-655-2256 JOHN.

Before you ask, yes, the price is negotiable but NOT over the phone and NOT without either you seeing the car or engaging in a prolonged discussion of it's pluses and minuses. Thanks.

Spammers: DON'T ask; if the ad is there, the car is available!

key words: Nissan, Studebaker, sports car

I think this Z has been up for sale for at least nine months, if not longer.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh, and here's some "gold":

quote:

1981 Datsun 280ZX (Moving, Need to Sell) - $1750 (Gresham)

Moving and must Sell!!! 1981 Datsun 280ZX, straight 6 cyl, engine, automatic trans, all power options, customized body work (corvette rear body) Runs and Drives Great, Runs better at higher speeds, Peppy little thing and a Eye Catcher. Low Book as of today sits at $3300 so I think a starting price of $1750 is a fair starter. Car Need Paint and a Few of the inside panel reinstalled. They are in the back of the car along with a Brand New Catalatic Convertor, as The car sits it is straight piped right now, convertor just bolts right on for DEQ. Clean Clear Title in hand and ready for a New Owner. Put your own badging on this one with your own paint scheme. Sorry No Trades & Please Serious Inquiries Only as I am to busy prepping for the move. Should I not sell, maybe park elsewhere til I get a storage.
Asking $1750 OR BEST REASONABLE OFFER. Thank You for Looking and Goodluck with your Vehicle Search
Call 503-446-7624 Warren

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
A craigslist-related question, I suppose:

A lot of dudes in California seem to be selling salvage titled vehicles. Some are obviously flipping them for profit, while perhaps others are honest folk with a salvage title. I am seeing two types of ads at present, involving salvage titles:

Exhibit A: Super brief description and "SALVAGE TITLE!!!!" within. Guy is flipping car?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/2166254245.html

Exhibit B: Obviously the actual owner (I guess?). Seems honest enough but his car does have a salvage on it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/2167348521.html

Now, if the tags are current/updated/whatever, how much of a pain is it (barring hilarious frame damage or other mechanical oddities) to transfer a car such as this to my name, get it insured, register/smog/etc. And what exactly should I ask the seller to avoid any shenanigans?

Note: I have 21st Century insurance though I'd obviously call them to confirm that they handle salvaged vehicles.

I don't really want either of the two examples I've provided, but this is pretty much what I keep coming across, so if it looks rad, I'd like to have a better idea of the poo poo I'm getting into (much like the sudden revelation that all diesels must be smogged in California right after I got my Sprinter).

Also, for more awesome content and because Mighty Maxes are cool...

Turbo Diesel!
http://palmsprings.craigslist.org/cto/2165764891.html

Right Hand Drive!
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/2170001234.html

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 20, 2011

MTK337
Jul 11, 2005
Death truck anyone?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/2169768297.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

French Canadian posted:

Now, if the tags are current/updated/whatever, how much of a pain is it (barring hilarious frame damage or other mechanical oddities) to transfer a car such as this to my name, get it insured, register/smog/etc. And what exactly should I ask the seller to avoid any shenanigans?

In California, there is no pain in doing this, beyond the usual pain.

Your insurance company may only offer liability, so the car had better cheap enough you could eat it if you had to.

You want to know what kind of accident the car was in, when it happened, and what repairs were done. If the accident was when the car was relatively new, forget it. The car got hosed up bad. If it was when it was already approaching beater status, then it didn't take much to total it, and wouldn't be worth it to invest a lot in repairing it, so it's probably okay.

Basically, you want a cheap car with a recent repair.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Finally, all my Mad Max dreams can be realized.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

VideoTapir posted:

In California, there is no pain in doing this, beyond the usual pain.

Your insurance company may only offer liability, so the car had better cheap enough you could eat it if you had to.

You want to know what kind of accident the car was in, when it happened, and what repairs were done. If the accident was when the car was relatively new, forget it. The car got hosed up bad. If it was when it was already approaching beater status, then it didn't take much to total it, and wouldn't be worth it to invest a lot in repairing it, so it's probably okay.

Basically, you want a cheap car with a recent repair.

I do repair salvaged title cars for a living (aside from insurance work/personal paid work) and I have no problem selling these cars. I usually buy between 1-6 year old cars and repair them and sell them. I don't even buy anything with major damage as it costs too much to fix. You'd be amazed at what they'll total out. Most stuff I buy will need, say a rad sport/rad/condensor/fans/front bumper/headlights and then maybe a hood or a fender, that's about as deep as I like to get. So, you shouldn't fear a salvaged title just because of what it is. You should fear them though if you they cannot show you what was wrecked, how bad or provide you with some information, or are unwilling to.

They're no problem to transfer or insure. Most of ours get loans from a bank and HAVE to get full coverage. They just only get coverage for the book value or the sale bill amount. That's about it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

goodfuldead posted:

I do repair salvaged title cars for a living (aside from insurance work/personal paid work) and I have no problem selling these cars. I usually buy between 1-6 year old cars and repair them and sell them. I don't even buy anything with major damage as it costs too much to fix. You'd be amazed at what they'll total out. Most stuff I buy will need, say a rad sport/rad/condensor/fans/front bumper/headlights and then maybe a hood or a fender, that's about as deep as I like to get. So, you shouldn't fear a salvaged title just because of what it is. You should fear them though if you they cannot show you what was wrecked, how bad or provide you with some information, or are unwilling to.

They're no problem to transfer or insure. Most of ours get loans from a bank and HAVE to get full coverage. They just only get coverage for the book value or the sale bill amount. That's about it.

Thanks for this. So I suppose that a CARFAX is the way to go? Or does dealer repair info (regarding the salvage repair) usually suffice?

Also thanks VideoTapir for your info, as well.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

French Canadian posted:

Thanks for this. So I suppose that a CARFAX is the way to go? Or does dealer repair info (regarding the salvage repair) usually suffice?

Also thanks VideoTapir for your info, as well.

carfax might work.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Hey goodfuldead, does every state handle salvage titles differently? I got a letter from the state on my Mustang saying that it had been transferred to a salvage after the insurance totaled it and they said I couldn't register it anymore. I had always assumed that once it was on salvage, it couldn't be driven on the street anymore.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

The only sub-$5K Corvettes - any generation - I've seen listed on the internet in the past year or so have looked really rough. It might just be the Pacific Northwest and bad sellers. Some of these listings keep getting reposted for several months at the same price.

I sort of want to get a '93-'96 C4 Corvette one of these days, so I poke around Craigslist for 'em here in Atlanta every now and again. Base C4s usually average $5K-$10K, with a few ratty mid-80s C4s for under $5K and a few low-mileage garage queens and sleazy dealers' cars for over $10K. Haven't looked too closely at the C3s, but I don't recall seeing very many, if any, of those under $5K either, and the ones that are are probably rust-bucket projects with half their formerly-moving parts scattered around in the trunk or where the passenger seat used to be.

Fake edit: speaking of overpriced garage queens...

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

Hey goodfuldead, does every state handle salvage titles differently? I got a letter from the state on my Mustang saying that it had been transferred to a salvage after the insurance totaled it and they said I couldn't register it anymore. I had always assumed that once it was on salvage, it couldn't be driven on the street anymore.

Ok, this part is tricky. Sometimes, when a vehicle is totaled in some states they are no longer registerable in those states. I don't know which ones off the top of my head. I don't think that one from florida can go to tennessee. Stuff like that. I do know that there are some states that won't fool with them at all, but I never really do anything there, I'll buy from there, but I mainly sell only in KY IN TN GA OH VA, and around that a way. Oh yeah and Alabama. So my statement was more a general statement, most will register and insure no prob. I guess your state is one that won't.

E. Did they stipulate that it was unregeristerable in its current condition or that it couldn't be registered there ever again, no matter what? They may have just meant in its non repaired condition.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
Gold?

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/2106621084.html

Click here for the full 1137x680 image.

280ZX turbo I think, possibly 82-83? The seller apparently doesn't know, I don't know enough about them to know if it's worth anything. Looks clean but it's an autotragic. How do you not say what car you're selling in the ad anyway?

Synonamess Botch fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 21, 2011

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Synonamess Botch posted:

Gold?

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/2106621084.html

Click here for the full 1137x680 image.

280ZX turbo I think, possibly 82-83? The seller apparently doesn't know, I don't know enough about them to know if it's worth anything. Looks clean but it's an autotragic. How do you not say what car you're selling in the ad anyway?

Oofta. "Electrical issues" and that interior pic scares the hell out of me. If a guy got it for next to nothing or used it as a donor car, might not be bad.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
goodfuldead, I'll dig up the letter I got from the state (Texas). And Alabama is quite popular it would seem. The guy that sold me the Galaxie couldn't find the title (he never transferred it to himself) and said he was going to pay some dude to get an Alabama title, then transfer it back to Texas. Fortunately, I was able to get the original Florida title (which had the wrong VIN on it, somehow) and eventually got the car legal.

Synonamess Botch posted:

Will a 302 fit in an old Z car?

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry i didnt come with a link, but i got myself a set of first-generation miata "M edition" wheels in florida, the guy was asking $150 and i paid him $100.

A brand new set is $1500, and used ones go for something like $500. Thank god i can get rid of my ugly 14X7 steelies.

Does this count as craigslist gold?

Wandering Idiot
Jul 22, 2003

by Ozma

Sir Tonk posted:

Almost anything will fit in an old Z car.

I had a '78 about 11 years ago that I'd planned on shoe-horning in any old V8 I could, and found there were few places out there catering to the engine swap market. Then I moved, car went into storage, forgot about it and it probably got scrapped or auctioned. Considering I traded two rockford fosgate 15s (the cheap ones, too) for it, I don't consider it much of a loss.

If you even remotely consider doing this, prepare to spend a lot of time on rust. Even if it looks clean outside, some part of that car (underbody) will have cancer.

Contributing, for once:

I know it's not a '60, he addresses that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ45-1981-/140501258084?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20b6870f64#ht_714wt_1165

quote:

1981 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-45 imported from Australia in 2007.

This is a 1981 FJ45 1 Ton from Australia Right Hand Drive. E-Bay will not allow me list this as a 1981 do to the VIN # IT IS NOT A 1960

This is my beloved FJ45 due to unforseen issues I'm am forced to sell my toys. I started doing a restoration on the vehicle. Many new parts still in original packages and boxes and all used parts that have been replaced are also included. The original odometer reading at purchase was 0156992 km, the speedometer was not working at time of purchase. A local shop in Tucson redid the whole guage cluster including setting the odometer to 000000. The current odometer reading is 006642, I've only put less than 7000 km since I've purchased it. The vehicle does show some surface rust. My intentions were to rebuild the engine, transmission/transfer case, convert front axle to dics brakes as the FJ came equipped with factory drum brakes and then paint the whole vehicle.

He wants $12k for it.

Wandering Idiot fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 21, 2011

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wandering Idiot posted:

Contributing, for once:

I know it's not a '60, he addresses that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyota-Land-Cruiser-FJ45-1981-/140501258084?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item20b6870f64#ht_714wt_1165

He wants $12k for it.

Heh, still has Western Australian plates on it. Tidy for its age

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

goodfuldead posted:

carfax might work.

You'll at least get the date from it.

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

goodfuldead, I'll dig up the letter I got from the state (Texas). And Alabama is quite popular it would seem. The guy that sold me the Galaxie couldn't find the title (he never transferred it to himself) and said he was going to pay some dude to get an Alabama title, then transfer it back to Texas. Fortunately, I was able to get the original Florida title (which had the wrong VIN on it, somehow) and eventually got the car legal.

Alabama is notoriously bad for that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I have ADD when it comes to car shopping...

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2164783730.html

Seems to be a cherry 1987 300TD Benz for $7500. Pretty high price, I think. I guess people know that there are folk who will pay top dollar for any kind of diesel.

Now, I love diesels and wagons, and also not getting things smogged, but how do older-gen MB diesels behave? I guess the turbo could be on its way out? My 2003 Sprinter TD has 345,000 on it and hasn't flipped the poo poo too bad yet.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 23, 2011