Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

arioch posted:

(hell, The Wheel of Time will have been 14 books to get to THAT particular "Final" Battle)

Right, but it wasn't 14 good books, hence the concern about Stormlight going down the same route.

As long as the books don't start each having 20 different POV characters I think it'll work out alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Based on what Brandon has said about the next few books and their titles, it seems that each will focus on a certain character. For instance: If the next book is Dalinar's (Brandon hasn't decided if it'll be his or Shallan's) it'll be called The High-Prince of War

Obviously there will be other POV's but I'm looking forward to each book having a particular focus in addition to the other arcs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

P-Mack posted:

Right, but it wasn't 14 good books, hence the concern about Stormlight going down the same route.

As long as the books don't start each having 20 different POV characters I think it'll work out alright.

You'd have to define good because even at their worst (the slump) they were well above-average. Not every book can be in the same category as The Shadow Rising.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 6, 2011

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

arioch posted:

You'd have to define good because even at their worst (the slump) they were well above-average. Not every book can be in the same category as The Shadow Rising.

Counterpoint:Crossroads of Twilight

"Brandon Sanderson's twitter posted:

Teaching my class on writing Science Fiction and Fantasy at BYU tonight. Last year, forty people showed up on day one wanting to add....

He's a teacher too. In his time off from writing books he writes books, and on the side he also teaches other people how to write books. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Brandon Sanderson is a goddamn beast.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 6, 2011

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

senae posted:

Counterpoint:Crossroads of Twilight

Crossroad's biggest issue is that the book following it wasn't out for several years. Stuff moves forward, just no big climactic scenes. I didn't find the "slump" anywhere near as objectionable on a reread as I did while waiting for the books to be released.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Mistborn Trilogy is getting an ebook release on Feb 1st for $23.99. This is pretty much what you would pay for each ebook seperately.

However it does have some spiffy new artwork to go with it by Sam Weber.

Click here for the full 429x652 image.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Cartoon Man posted:

The Mistborn Trilogy is getting an ebook release on Feb 1st for $23.99. This is pretty much what you would pay for each ebook seperately.

However it does have some spiffy new artwork to go with it by Sam Weber.

Click here for the full 429x652 image.

That is pretty much the perfect cover for this series.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Dramatika posted:

That is pretty much the perfect cover for this series.

they really need to do an animated adaptation of the whole trilogy.

DonkleyPunch
Jun 20, 2003

treeboy posted:

they really need to do an animated adaptation of the whole trilogy.

Great now that's stuck in my head and it won't ever happen.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

DonkleyPunch posted:

He did option the movie rights for the first 3 books - http://www.brandonsanderson.com/article/59/Press-Release-Mistborn-Movie-Deal

This was just a year ago, so I doubt we'll even hear anything more for at least another 6 months if not 1-3 more years. However, some kind of movie will be made!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Optioning it doesn't really mean anything. Look at Ender's Game or Wheel of Time. The rights to those books were purchased years and years ago and they've never gotten off the ground. Do yourself a favor and forget about it entirely until it pops up on a movie news site in a decade.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ender's Game is probably a hard sell as a movie despite it being so widely read. You are, after all, talking about making a movie that features very young children killing eachother then wiping out an entire race with humanity as the aggressor.

But you're right. An option isn't even a sale of the rights. I don't see Mistborn being put into development any time soon unless The Hobbit kickstarts another fantasy craze like LOTR did and studios go nuts trying to cash in on absolutely anything they can get their hands on ie how The Golden Compass somehow got made.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

DonkleyPunch posted:

I haven't done any 2d in awhile an I'm tempted to pick a scene and give it a whirl as an exercise. Any ideas? I was thinking part of Vin's first training session.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

treeboy posted:

I haven't done any 2d in awhile an I'm tempted to pick a scene and give it a whirl as an exercise. Any ideas? I was thinking part of Vin's first training session.

1. Shan vs. Vin. They're both burning atium and you could probably do some cool things with the possibility phantom shadow thingies. End of chapter 30, it's a pretty quick scene too.

2. Lord Ruler vs. Kelsier.

3. The details of this last one are real fuzzy and I can't find it just thumbing through: The first time Vin (I think it's Vin) fights an inquisitor solo, she throws a pouch full of metal shavings at him to blind his allomantic sight. I think.

I should go back and read the book again, it's been a while.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
When I was about halfway through Mistborn 1, I came to the conclusion that I was reading an Assassin's Creed style sandbox game in novel form. I don't see it working as a movie, but drat would that be a fun game.

After Way of Kings though, I don't know if I want a Surgebinder game more or not.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
The Stormlight Archives, book 1: Talk about anything other than this book

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

j3rkstore posted:

The Stormlight Archives, book 1: Talk about anything other than this book

This really does need to be the Brandon Sanderson thread instead of just for Stormlight.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, there isn't a Sanderson thread and a lot of us are just getting into his stuff. I'm like 10% through Stormlight 1, but I'd like a place to talk about Mistborn too. I think I've posted more about Sanderson in The Bad Thread than this one.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ConfusedUs posted:

This really does need to be the Brandon Sanderson thread instead of just for Stormlight.

Yeah, I just sent a PM to LooseChanj to try to get the thread title changed. I've already got some general info about Sanderson in the OP, but I'll just keep adding new books and such as they come out.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, I just sent a PM to LooseChanj to try to get the thread title changed. I've already got some general info about Sanderson in the OP, but I'll just keep adding new books and such as they come out.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Brian Sanderson hasn't written a drat thing, actually.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

His latest tweet about the re-read is from the end of Book 2. Sounds like the re-read is going slower than he hoped, he planed to start Writing April 1st. He said he should meet that goal though.

edit: ment to post this in the wot thread...

Here's a blog post from the Dragonmount guy who gets to beta-test Brandon's books now.

Jason from Dragonmount.com posted:

So I finished reading an early “beta” copy of Brandon Sanderson‘s upcoming novel, “Mistborn: The Alloy of Law“. If you’re a big fan of the original Mistborn trilogy (like I am) then you’ll love this book. It takes place a few hundred years after the events of The Hero of Ages. Technology has evolved to the era of railroads and electricity. But of course, Allomancy–the system of burning or tapping metals for magical energy–remains (mostly) in place.

Although shorter than the other Mistborn books, this one has all the classic Sanderson calling cards: compelling and humorous characters, clever fight scenes, and plot twists alllllll the way up to the very last page. When I finished it, I was hungry for more. I hope he returns to this world again soon.
http://www.jasondenzel.com/2011/mistborn-the-alloy-of-law/

drat I can't wait for this one, even if its half the size of a mistborn book.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 26, 2011

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

Oh hey what's up this thread became the Brandon Sanderson megathread I've been waiting for.

Currently rereading the Mistborn trilogy since I got a few of my friends to pick it up and want to be fresh on it all when they hit major reveals/plot twists and come to me all like :aaa:. I'm so excited for their minds to be blown.

I told myself I wouldn't start the Stormlight Archive until after The Wheel of Time was completely finished, so I know he has the time to dedicate primarily to Stormlight, but I'm probably going to fail at that because drat I want to read more Sanderson. He really is great, I love how accessible he is to his fans, and his book annotations are so awesome -- if you're at all interested in the writing process I highly recommend reading them all after you finish the respective books. I blew through all the Mistborn annotations the day after I finished the trilogy and they were almost as engrossing as the books themselves.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He tweeted that he might start working on making all the annotations into ebook format.

:hellyeah:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Just wanted to chime in and say that I finished Way of Kings earlier this week and it was fantastic. I'm glad they chose Sanderson to finish WOT, because otherwise I'd probably have never picked any of his stuff up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

He tweeted that he might start working on making all the annotations into ebook format.

:hellyeah:

How awesome is Brandon Sanderson? :swoon:

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Ithaqua posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I finished Way of Kings earlier this week and it was fantastic. I'm glad they chose Sanderson to finish WOT, because otherwise I'd probably have never picked any of his stuff up.

Conversely, I would have never picked up the Wheel of Time. I read the first book and thought it was too derivative of Tolkien to have any value. I remember being fifteen and tossing it across the room when the merry band of 4 farm kids gets on a ferry while being chased by orc-like creatures.

Currently on book 6, I'm still not sure I "like" the Wheel of Time series, but I'm determined to get through to the Sanderson stuff. There are parts of the WoT where the story is really great, but 90% of the rest is world building a world that is already about to collapse under its own weight, extraneous side-character viewpoints, braid tugging, crossing arms under breasts, neckline plunging, Rand\Mat\Perrin knows how to handle women, and travel travel travel ad infinitum. Sanderson knows how to cut out the boring stuff and keep what I like about enormous fantasy epics. His writing gets better with each book. Time will tell if he develops any nausea inducing cliches in his longer works, but I think he is self-conscious enough to avoid it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

BananaNutkins posted:

Conversely, I would have never picked up the Wheel of Time. I read the first book and thought it was too derivative of Tolkien to have any value. I remember being fifteen and tossing it across the room when the merry band of 4 farm kids gets on a ferry while being chased by orc-like creatures.

Currently on book 6, I'm still not sure I "like" the Wheel of Time series, but I'm determined to get through to the Sanderson stuff. There are parts of the WoT where the story is really great, but 90% of the rest is world building a world that is already about to collapse under its own weight, extraneous side-character viewpoints, braid tugging, crossing arms under breasts, neckline plunging, Rand\Mat\Perrin knows how to handle women, and travel travel travel ad infinitum. Sanderson knows how to cut out the boring stuff and keep what I like about enormous fantasy epics. His writing gets better with each book. Time will tell if he develops any nausea inducing cliches in his longer works, but I think he is self-conscious enough to avoid it.

Somewhere around book 5 is when Robert Jordan switched from having the series be about the story to being about the world. I'm personally OK with that, but if you're not interested in the world, it's going to be a very long, boring slog through the next four books. It picks up again with 11 and then Sanderson took over starting with 12.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And the books by Sanderson are WoT worship so you're not getting anything drastically different anyway.

If you don't like WoT by book 5 I don't think it's worth bothering.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Just finished the first of the Stormlight Archives and man, I am glad I found this author via WoT. I will definitely being reading the rest of his works and going through the Way of Kings again via audiobook to see if I can pick up on things I was too confused about at the beginning to fully understand.

Really powerful ending.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

IRQ posted:

And the books by Sanderson are WoT worship so you're not getting anything drastically different anyway.

If you don't like WoT by book 5 I don't think it's worth bothering.

If you didn't like The Shadow Rising or Lord of Chaos, you're probably not going to change your mind with the rest of the series. I can respect wanting to finish the series if you're a completionist, but you're also entering the section in the series where the number of subplots seems to approach infinity and the story slows until they start to resolve. I actually found it a lot less annoying on a reread than I did reading as the books came out, mostly because when I got to the end of the book, I didn't go "That's it, and now I have to wait 2 years for the next one?"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BobFromMarketing posted:

Just finished the first of the Stormlight Archives and man, I am glad I found this author via WoT. I will definitely being reading the rest of his works and going through the Way of Kings again via audiobook to see if I can pick up on things I was too confused about at the beginning to fully understand.

Really powerful ending.

The audiobook of WoK is crippling, especially the beginning, when you have a dude explaining lashing to you.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Just pretend that book 10 and book 11 are one big book. Cause they are.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Dickeye posted:

The audiobook of WoK is crippling, especially the beginning, when you have a dude explaining lashing to you.

That reminds me. Has anybody bought any of the GraphicAudio adaptations of Sanderson's books? The idea of turning them into radio dramas sounds like a lot of fun, but I can think of a lot of ways they could go wrong.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

BananaNutkins posted:

If you didn't like book 4 and by the time you finish book 6 here (yeah, huge thing coming up, you should be heading right into it as you enter the second half of book 6) you are not completely hooked, I'd just drop the whole thing and give it up.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I got through book 9 before I stopped... I was so close to the light at the end of the tunnel. I want to reread after its finished though. And after I read Mistborn and Way of Kings so I can chat in here with you guys. I've never read any Sanderson, but his blog and his work ethic make me like him already.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Dickeye posted:

I listen to a lot of audio books while at work and I really dont think it can be any worse than listening to whatever chucklefuck read Kingbreaker Kingmaker.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BobFromMarketing posted:

I listen to a lot of audio books while at work and I really dont think it can be any worse than listening to whatever chucklefuck read Kingbreaker Kingmaker.

It hurts really badly.

Sanderson mentions not wanting to put a fight right in the beginning of Mistborn because he'd have to explain Allomancy and it would drag the story down, and he's right. The audiobook version of WoK is utterly painful for exactly that reason. After that I'd imagine it gets better but my god have fun getting through the prologue.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dickeye posted:

It hurts really badly.

Sanderson mentions not wanting to put a fight right in the beginning of Mistborn because he'd have to explain Allomancy and it would drag the story down, and he's right. The audiobook version of WoK is utterly painful for exactly that reason. After that I'd imagine it gets better but my god have fun getting through the prologue.

I'm almost 20% through and it still feels like prologue and world building.

I know it's supposed to be a huge series but ugh. I can deal with that sort of thing, but I expected more fast paced stuff from Sanderson. Characters I had just begun to care about have utterly disappeared to be replaced by ones I just don't like or care about at all.

I know I'm not very far in yet but this is proving to be a slog that none of his other books have been.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

IRQ posted:

I'm almost 20% through and it still feels like prologue and world building.

I know it's supposed to be a huge series but ugh. I can deal with that sort of thing, but I expected more fast paced stuff from Sanderson. Characters I had just begun to care about have utterly disappeared to be replaced by ones I just don't like or care about at all.

I know I'm not very far in yet but this is proving to be a slog that none of his other books have been.

I felt the same way, but looking back it all paid off really well. I've only read WOK and his WOT books so I have no original basis of comparison, but everything pretty much has a purpose and payoff, enough of which are in this book to make it not feel like 100% world building slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg

Dickeye posted:

It hurts really badly.

But isn't WOK being read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading, the same team that does the WOT. Kramer is an absolute pro and I'd listen to him reading the phonebook, so it can't be that bad. Haven't listened to it yet (Will probably do that leading up to the stormlight archive 2) but if I can get through a listen of Crossroads of Twilight, WOK should be no problem.