Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moww
Jan 16, 2005

Can Type the Hype and Post the Most.
I'm loving this One in a Million thing and I've been checking youtube daily for new episodes. At one point the host said that this wasn't the first "season" or what have you. Does anybody know where to find past episodes?

Edit: found some of last year's episodes

moww fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm getting more and more annoyed that Mango got cut. I just watched some poo poo of his on Youtube and the dude's got some great style.

He's just really fun to watch. The music sucks, but he's great. I really want him to get picked up by Enjoi or something.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I actually think Mango would be an awesome fit for Alien Workshop but that might just be me thinking that two things I like would be cool together.

I really liked Forrest's attempts to be nice he was talking about in the latest episode, and how John was talking about Forrest being more friendly.

Edit: Yeah and everyone should watch Mango's youtube video it's awesome.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I wish skateboarding was a more popular sport because I'd love to see this extended to a half hour per episode but it's really, really not likely to happen.

Forrest kind of redeemed himself with the latest but he still acted like a prick through the entire show and it seemed more like he stopped being a prick to win and less because he wanted to make friends.

Sirkus
Jun 5, 2006
"Hey you guys want a midnight snack?"

I think Forrest is hilarious, they really lucked out with the personalities this year.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDH6Q22d1zo

He loving primo slides into a stair set.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gently caress.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mgFdn4lfrE

I don't even know anymore. I just don't.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Bucket Joneses posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDH6Q22d1zo

He loving primo slides into a stair set.

Oh yeah, I think I had intentionally forgotten that I had seen this before. Ridiculous...

/goes to land everything in one foot manuals.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Some of the tricks are super hokey/gimmicky but most of it is so slick I don't even care.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

How does that guy just

how

He does Rodney Mullen style tricks but doesn't look like a giant loving dork like Mullen. So loving cool.

e: ahahah what the gently caress gently caress the dude just did a one foot daffy manual you goddamn gimmicky gently caress how did you make that look cool

Wungus fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 21, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was dumping on him. Everything is just so tech it makes me want to forget that people do stuff like this.

edit: Rodney Mullen is a dork and he can't help that :(

Rodney Mullen Skateboarding Tricks Invented:

* Flatground Ollie
* Godzilla Rail Flip
* 540 Shove-it
* 50-50 Saran Wrap
* Helipops (360 Nollie)
* Gazelles
* No Handed 50-50 Kickflip
* Heelflip
* Double heelflips
* Ollie Impossible
* Sidewinders
* 360 Flip
* 360 pressure Flip
* Casper 360 Flip
* 50-50 Sidewinders
* One footed Ollie
* Backside 180 Flip
* Ollie Nosebones
* Ollie Fingerflip
* Airwalks
* Frontside Heelflip Shove-its

* Switchstance 360 Flips
* Helipop Heelflips
* Kickflip Underflip
* Casper Slides
* Half Flip Darkslide
* 540 double kickflip
* Caballerial impossible
* Half-cab kickflip underflip
* Handstand flips
* Rusty slides
* Kickflip

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Mullen's like the autistic kid who makes your computer look like a math moron. He invented so many drat tricks and I love the guy but his style is so ugly looking. This dude's crazy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

It took me a long time to fully realize that the reason most skaters aren't too jazzed on Mullen is not because they're jealous but because he really does have the most awkward style. His board and feet are always solid but his upper half is doing its own thing that does Not Look Good.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It's kind of interesting. After the years of me not paying attention to skateboarding one of the first videos I saw that got me up to date was Rodney Mullen vs. Daewon Song. At the time it floored me as I had no idea things were so tech. In retrospect I didn't realize how ugly Rodney's style was. This becomes more obvious each day. I think he is a super cool dude but all those years of staying in one spot doing free-style didn't help his style out at all. The thing is without all those years of free-style ugliness things wouldn't be where they are today. Double-edged sword and all that.

It's like if a hunchback skated.

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
Hey so can I use this Mullen discussion as an excuse to post some of his freestyle videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEL8LEhTvYM (YEAH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KH7gVBaGMk&t=4m57s (Rubbish Heap part. Ollie over a fire hydrant!)

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I think Rodney's perceived awkwardness is due to just the way he rides a skateboard. He faces forward most of time with his chest perpendicular to the board. I notice it a lot when he lands flippy tricks while rolling forward. When he lands he seems to frequently move to a Thriller/Teen Wolf dance pose with this arms and then holds as he rides away clean...it's the claw hands gesture.

I'm pretty sure I would ride kind of weird like that if I was the best freestyle skateboarder ever who spent as much time possible riding a tiny board around in circles flipping it quickly in various ways.

I recently watched The Man Who Souled the World which has Rodney Mullen interviews throughout. It's pretty interesting to get to know him. Here's where his and Steve Rocco's story start up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx-18JqLUAc&feature=player_detailpage#t=255s

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 22, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That was what I noticed too after watching that World Industries clip... he orients his body in a forward-facing motion. It's gotta be a holdover from the days when front-facing manuals were standard practice.

Yeah, and the claw hands. What the hell, man.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
While we're on the topic of 'dork' tricks, there is also this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdcAyNhSob4

It's hard to know what to make of him because he does some seriously crazy tricks and catches them high down some big stuff but drat, the goofball factor is pretty high. He literally dresses like a clown. An actual clown.

No comply at 2:23'll take you by surprise.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I thought that was pretty good. His clothes were doing OK for me until we got to the biggest Elmo face print t-shirt ever made, then the music started sounding like it could have been Elmo singing. He rips though. I love the no comply into things combos, that's hot poo poo.

I have never seen this before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdcAyNhSob4&feature=player_detailpage#t=51s

Is that a fakie front side flip to late shove it?

Bucket Joneses posted:

gently caress.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 22, 2011

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
The best dork skater is Louie Barletta.

But let us not forget Dave Vey(Just play your own music on top of this);
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRwCvyqSoE

Babysnakes!
Oct 29, 2009
Goons like buckethead and rodney mullen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4rjmzL9d4&feature=related
Todd Falcon loving owns.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I could watch that Mullen-style stuff for days, and I can't say that about most other skating, especially not vert stuff.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Enough with the goofiness!

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Oh poo poo Corey Duffel :swoon:

His big accident last? year (or the year before, or the year before, I honestly don't know) that took him out of skating for a while sucked. I could watch him ollie forever, he just goes so loving hard and fast and high

Wungus fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 22, 2011

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Yeah he is a beast. Initially I made fun of his clothes and skinny jeans and hair and florescent poo poo but he is bad rear end. His part in Cataclysmic Abyss is tops. Awesome music for his part.

The part where he ollies into the Highway bank from the support structure over it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ4-66_yYz8&feature=player_detailpage#t=228s

I saw him on something recently and he had some big long hair like Niki Six or something. I swear it didn't look like him. Maybe it was a dream.

Edit: I'm seeing in this month's KOTR Thrasher that Sheckler had to dress up like Duffel for one of the challenges so I think that's what I might have seen somewhere, weird. Corey Sheckler, Ryan Duffel.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 23, 2011

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I skated a lot as an early teenager, though I was never really good at it. This past week or so I suddenly got the urge to watch a bunch of the skate videos I remembered from those days, though, and from there it wasn't long until I started thinking about getting a board and starting up again at 25. Finding and flipping through this thread didn't help quell the urge.

Trouble is, I live in Japan, where skateboarding isn't nearly as common as it was/is in the States. It's something people are aware of as a subculture - stores sell Thrasher-branded shirts and caps, etc. - but people who actually do it are harder to come by than you'd expect. I've seen boards for sale, too, but they're so expensive that (especially given the exchange rate lately) it's cheaper to mail-order from the US. Seriously, a deck almosts costs more than a decently-upgraded complete from a US online retailer like CCS etc. would, including shipping.

(Side note: I work at a nearby middle school, and it took me a year or so of living here to realize what was "missing" from the school grounds - never heard a single skateboard. Those sounds were practically part of the atmosphere of my own school, so it was bizarre when I finally noticed their absence.)

I know skateboarding exists here, but my rare contact with local skaters entirely consists of watching them jog away after getting yelled at by Osaka cops, so I haven't exactly had the chance to get to know any or ask them about spots to skate.

I'm in a weird position as a foreigner - if the police get interested, I'm either in less trouble or a lot more trouble than a local, depending on the cop and how his week's been going. So as fond as my memories of running from parking garage security may be, I'm not looking to do much more of it. Also the town where I live is a really small farming community so there isn't much interesting turf to skate on. Still, it's not too hard to get to bigger cities over here in the west - Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe are all easy weekend trips.

As a kid I did park/transition stuff very rarely and certainly never rode a pool or bowl, so I'm interested in trying that sort of thing more now. This may be the longest shot in the history of long shots, but does anyone happen to know any good skateparks/skate-friendly areas in the Kansai region of Japan?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just imagine how huge Mullen would have been if he ditched that horrible freestyle board and just adapted his tricks to street skating and entered street contests. At that time freestyle was such a small niche and it was getting him nowhere. I wonder what held him back from just evolving. He could have won contests by just doing huge ollies over poo poo.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Dust Man posted:

Japan stuff
Are you in a small apartment or do you live in an actual house with a yard? Because I'd kill for a yard so I could make this - hell, if I knew I was going to stay in this apartment building longer I'd build it out the back of the yard area for the other skater who lives somewhere here.

Doing research though, it looks like there's next to nowhere. http://www.commotionworld.com/areaguide/actionsport/ This site has a list of parks, but it lists five total for Osaka, which I know isn't exactly a small city.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

leica posted:

Just imagine how huge Mullen would have been if he ditched that horrible freestyle board and just adapted his tricks to street skating and entered street contests. At that time freestyle was such a small niche and it was getting him nowhere. I wonder what held him back from just evolving. He could have won contests by just doing huge ollies over poo poo.

it's almost like he only cared about doing what he thought was fun and rewarding, instead of chasing fame. Weird.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Whalley posted:

Are you in a small apartment or do you live in an actual house with a yard? Because I'd kill for a yard so I could make this - hell, if I knew I was going to stay in this apartment building longer I'd build it out the back of the yard area for the other skater who lives somewhere here.

Doing research though, it looks like there's next to nowhere. http://www.commotionworld.com/areaguide/actionsport/ This site has a list of parks, but it lists five total for Osaka, which I know isn't exactly a small city.

It's an apartment. A smaller/portable ramp could be feasible (my town is pretty rural so there's some space, it's just that none of it is mine) but something that big would be impossible, unfortunately.

Yeah, most of my research has turned up stuff in Tokyo but not a lot in the west. I've looked at a few skateboard magazines here and most of them turn out to be mostly lifestyle/fashion-focused, it sucks. Though I think Transworld actually has a Japanese imprint; I'll have to try and find an issue if only just to see if it's at all like I remember Transworld from junior high.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

it's almost like he only cared about doing what he thought was fun and rewarding, instead of chasing fame. Weird.

Don't be an rear end. How would adapting his style to street skating be chasing fame? Besides it's called having a discussion. Weird.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

leica posted:

Don't be an rear end. How would adapting his style to street skating be chasing fame? Besides it's called having a discussion. Weird.

Woah, I was just being sarcastic. It's all good. There was a lot of influence on the World Industries guys to go street, because that's where the company was really going. Mullen was really stubborn, and clung to his style, while street was being marketed as the next thing.

You wonder what would happen if he "ditched that horrible freestyle board and just adapted his tricks to street skating and entered street contests," but that's just not Mullen. He would be throwing away his style. I mean, the guy's street stuff is damned good, but it's not really his bag. He's practically autistic, spending months perfecting a trick. Freestyle just suits him, and seems to be what makes him happy.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

leica posted:

This is my third attempt at replying to this today. I kept writing stuff and deleting and then deciding not to post. It's just so interesting I can't help it here it goes...fart :)

It would seem that Rodney had already established himself by dominating freestyle for several years contest-wise before street skating became contest material. I'm not sure exactly when this decision took place but Rodney says he literally decided to dominate freestyle contests for 10 years. From what I understand and remember street didn't really blow up until 87, 88 , 89 with Gonz and Natas really pushing the envelope. Rodney started entering contests at around age 11 in 1978. He had already experienced a career of freestyle contests before there were any street contests it would seem.

Given his extreme nature, his personality and his family situation it's pretty easy to see him not taking many chances or feeling good enough or free enough to step out of his comfort zone.

...from my perspective back in the day street skating and freestyle skating were on two just two separate things. Street was pretty cool, vert was cooler and freestyle was the least cool of all. Freestyle was difficult to comprehend, boring and had hardly any style. Lamest of all it was performed entirely on flat ground. Hopping around on the end of you board while standing on your truck, what the poo poo? it's a skateboard not a pogo stick.

Freestyle was like roller blades before there were roller blades except worse because you don't go anywhere.

So there was just a whole different vibe when looking at street vs. freestyle. It's pretty awesome how freestyle ended up make street better. That's the thing that continually blows my mind when I think back to what I thought about freestyle as a little kid.

In hindsight it's all so obvious but at the time they were just two different worlds and I don't blame Rodney for having to be pushed out of one and into another. It would seem even by the time that happened he was already successful enough to rest on his laurels and still get sponsors.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 25, 2011

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
In order of sheer entertainment from videos: Freestyle, Longboard freeriding, street, downhill racing.

Street and DH both jump to first if they're just bail vids

Hurm.
Apr 24, 2006

Nature is a language
can't you read?
I'm going to keep posting dorks/freestylers until it's clear that you guys are over it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk1G6PzVK44

donJonSwan
Dec 6, 2004
Scum Pirate
Never dug freestyle. Give me a Guy Mariano part over that flippity poo poo any day of the week.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

http://i55.tinypic.com/2vsln53.jpg

Snap.

Not literally, thankfully. The x-rays didn't show any breaks.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
Whoa, rough. Get better soon! (You know you gotta tell the story!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Whatever, decided to go for it and order a new board. I guess if nothing else, if I change my mind before it finally gets here, I can flip it to some Japanese dude and come out on top! Cue not being able to look around myself without imagining what I'd do if I had a skateboard with me. There's a fond old feeling.