Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Coconut Revolution
This is the modern-day story of a native peoples remarkable victory over Western Colonial power. A Pacific island rose up in arms against giant mining corporation Rio Tinto Zinc (RTZ) – and won despite a military occupation and blockade. When RTZ decided to step up production at the Panguna Mine on the island of Bougainville, they got more than they bargained for. The islands people had enough of seeing their environment ruined and being treated as pawns by RTZ. RTZ refused to compensate them, so the people decided it was time to put an end to outside interference in the islands affairs. To do this they forcibly closed down the mine.
The Papua New Guinea Army (PNGDF) were mobilised in an attempt to put down the rebellion. The newly formed Bougainville Revolutionary Army (BRA) began the fight with bows & arrows and sticks & stones. Against a heavily armed adversary they still managed to retain control of most of their island. Realising they were beaten on the ground, the PNGDF imposed a gunboat blockade around Bougainville, in an attempt to strangle the BRA into submission. But the blockade seemed to have little or no effect. With no shipments getting in or out of the island, how did new electricity networks spring up in BRA held territory? How were BRA troops able to drive around the island without any source of petrol or diesel?

50 minutes of ecowarrior :jihad::wth:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Hellwuzzat posted:

Unrepentant: Kevin Annett and Canada's Genocide

Can't find a good synopsis for this one. Starts as a fish-out-of-water thing. Young, naive preacher Kevin Annett moves to Port Alberni, B.C., and finds it odd that there are no Natives in the congregation, and no effort made to reach out to them. He takes the task upon himself, despite warning, and finds out about the wonderful things his fellow ministers did to the Natives, a few decades back, at the Port Alberni residential school. The United Church of Canada systematically destroys his life (homeless, can't get a job, wife leaves him, etc.) to keep him from speaking out against them. Lots of fun interviews with Natives about murder and torture in the schools, and the lasting effects of attendance at these schools. :canada::suicide:
(is there a 2011 edition of this thread, yet?)

Well, I guess I can cross Canada off my list of countries who aren't openly and unashamedly evil. Great documentary but jeez.

Mikeyherb
Feb 9, 2003

Dead Cow posted:

It's streaming on netflix if you're interested

Great, Thanks! Just watched it.

A Scary Little Dog
Mar 12, 2006

YIP YIP MOTHERFUCKER

Hellwuzzat posted:

Unrepentant: Kevin Annett and Canada's Genocide

Can't find a good synopsis for this one. Starts as a fish-out-of-water thing. Young, naive preacher Kevin Annett moves to Port Alberni, B.C., and finds it odd that there are no Natives in the congregation, and no effort made to reach out to them. He takes the task upon himself, despite warning, and finds out about the wonderful things his fellow ministers did to the Natives, a few decades back, at the Port Alberni residential school. The United Church of Canada systematically destroys his life (homeless, can't get a job, wife leaves him, etc.) to keep him from speaking out against them. Lots of fun interviews with Natives about murder and torture in the schools, and the lasting effects of attendance at these schools. :canada::suicide:
(is there a 2011 edition of this thread, yet?)

Holy poo poo. I'm Canadian and we all know that the Residential schools were horrible, and that native people have been treated like poo poo in the past, but...I never realized how horrible, how many people have died, and how recently some of these events took place.

This was a really good watch, even though it broke my heart. So...thanks? :smith:

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Imapanda posted:

Could anyone recommend some good pseudo-philosophical COSMOS-like Astronomy documentaries? I need a new thing to watch that makes me feel the warmth and :unsmith:ness for how beautiful the universe is.
May I recommend (in case you haven't yet seen it) "Wonders Of The Solar System" with Professor Brian Cox? Not quite as philosophical or poetic as Carl Sagan, but Cox compares some of the things that happen out in space to things that happen here on Earth. Riveting stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonders_of_the_Solar_System

I'm pretty sure it has already been mentioned in this thread, anyway. It's a good one, and one of the few documentary series left (about space) that doesn't have any stupid wooshing, banging effects added in to seemingly hold the attention of kids or people with ADD.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow Hulu just added Exit Through The Gift Shop, the documentary by graffiti artist Banksy. I'm surprised to see such a recent movie on Hulu, it's one that will probably be a nominee for best documentary at the academy awards this year.

HedgeHodge
Jan 22, 2006

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but here's a great site for streaming documentaries: Documentary Heaven. Some of the streams are down, but there's still a number of great documentaries.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
This is a great thread. I don't know if it's ok to post requests in here, but I'm looking for a good documentary about the music of sixties in America. I'm talking crosby, stills nash and young, bob dylan, woodstock and how it all came to be. It doesn't have to be to heavy on the music, but i somehowe just love the whole atmosphere of that decade, the history of it and some of the music it brought fort.

Another Evil Genius
Mar 30, 2006
They should have listened to Reason.
Didn't see it listed on the first page after a search, but American Experience: Vietnam War was a very fine documentary. Interviews with most of the major (living) players about a decade after the conflict, vivid footage, and just a fantastic summarization and pacing.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/vietnam/

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Rojkir posted:

This is a great thread. I don't know if it's ok to post requests in here, but I'm looking for a good documentary about the music of sixties in America. I'm talking crosby, stills nash and young, bob dylan, woodstock and how it all came to be. It doesn't have to be to heavy on the music, but i somehowe just love the whole atmosphere of that decade, the history of it and some of the music it brought fort.

It's a little light on the behind-the-scenes subject matter, but "Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music" is one of my favorite docs on that festival, that era, and those musicians. Great, great, GREAT performances captured (and mixed) on this film. Santana's performance of "Soul Sacrifice" (title?) really encapsulates what I believe to be the mood/atmosphere during this time.

EDIT: Whelp, I found the second half of the film on Google video here. First part doesn't seem to be on the playlist/related videos in the sidebar. Watch it through; the Santana performance begins around 54:04 and is, truly, a masterpiece.

C2C - 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 22, 2011

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Rojkir posted:

This is a good one, Hotel California: LA From The Byrds To The Eagles. It covers the California music scene in the 60's and 70's with a focus on all the major players like David Crosby, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, etc.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Another Evil Genius posted:

Didn't see it listed on the first page after a search, but American Experience: Vietnam War was a very fine documentary. Interviews with most of the major (living) players about a decade after the conflict, vivid footage, and just a fantastic summarization and pacing.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/vietnam/

Is this not streamable?

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

C2C - 2.0 posted:

It's a little light on the behind-the-scenes subject matter, but "Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music" is one of my favorite docs on that festival, that era, and those musicians.

mod sassinator posted:

This is a good one, Hotel California: LA From The Byrds To The Eagles. It covers the California music scene in the 60's and 70's with a focus on all the major players like David Crosby, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, etc.

Both are excellent! Thanks!

This pretty good documentary provides some interesting insights in the world of quantative financial analysis at wallstreet: Quants: The Alchemists of Wall Street

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

mod sassinator posted:

Enjoyed that one, thanks.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Tennypumps posted:

I.O.U.S.A.

A very interesting look at the National Debt that keeps things interesting while also showing you how messed up the United States' debt problem is.

Youtube link to Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcb0hMPG5S0

Just wanted to speak for this. IOUSA needs to be seen by every American citizen. I think it does a good job of approaching the problem without being biased by a party affiliation. Its streaming on netflix if you don't want to hunt for it on youtube.

Liquid Funk
Apr 22, 2008

Does anyone know if the new zeitgeist movie "Moving Forward" is available to watch anywhere on the web yet?

http://www.zeitgeistmovingforward.com/

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Alligator Pie posted:

Holy poo poo. I'm Canadian and we all know that the Residential schools were horrible, and that native people have been treated like poo poo in the past, but...I never realized how horrible, how many people have died, and how recently some of these events took place.

This was a really good watch, even though it broke my heart. So...thanks? :smith:

I'm really glad to have this documentary to point people to. I come from a predominantly Native family, and it's frustrating how little knowledge is out there about the extent of the residential school system. I know a lot of white Canadians who are of the mind that yes, colonialism sucked, but it happened x number of years ago, so get over it already. I think this doc really helps to explain why so many Native communities and families are broken, and why it's still going to take some time to heal.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH

Grand Fromage posted:

I just finished watching Brick City, about Cory Booker and others attempting to clean up Newark, and loved it. I'm looking for similar ones about other cities and I hope you guys are going to bury me in titles.

Thanks for this, it's pretty awesome so far.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Giant Goats posted:

I know a lot of white Canadians who are of the mind that yes, colonialism sucked, but it happened x number of years ago, so get over it already. I think this doc really helps to explain why so many Native communities and families are broken, and why it's still going to take some time to heal.

I'm a white boy, and this was my attitude before watching this documentary and doing a little research. Here's a creepy CBC segment for your viewing pleasure.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

BBC: The Love of Money
2009 three part documentary on the fall of Lehman Brothers triggering the global crisis surrounding the credit default swap market. It's an amazing inside documentary with inside interviews and you get a real insight on how close a few other large financial institutions were close to folding.
part 1

BBC: World War II: Behind closed Doors
2008 three part re-enactment documentary on the deals and relationships of the allies of WW2. It covers in great detail the Polish invasion by Stalin's, the pact with the Nazi's even the details of Katyn massacre and the cover-up and hiding of details to the world.
part 1

lexleningrad
Feb 19, 2010

Party Hard.
Just made it halfway through this one, quite good so far.
For fans of Cosmos etc.

Hunting the Edge of Space: Part 1
http://video.pbs.org/video/1456686369/

Hunting the Edge of Space: Part 2
http://video.pbs.org/video/1463392610/

Combat Scarf
Jun 21, 2006

INTERVENTION! INTERVENTION!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I'd recommend Independent Lens: The Atom Smashers if you're interested in the the LHC or finding the Higgs Boson. Its a documentary about Fermilab's Tevitron and the science behind high energy particle accelerators. Surprisingly interesting for such a sciency topic.

It's instant streaming on Netflix.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Also on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/74782/pbs-indies-the-atom-smashers

Though I hate that website. Who takes a free public broadcasting program, capitalizes off of it as content AND puts commercials in it? Unforgivable.

Versus Boredom
Sep 20, 2006
After 27 pages I know this has been mentioned before but last night I watched Restrepo and Armadillo and immediately went to the bookstore when I woke up this morning to get WAR, Sebastian Jungers book that goes into intense detail about the scenes (+more) in Restrepo.

Armadillo was a lot more visually appealing than Restrepo but as far as the events that happen and the reactions the soldiers exude in each of the movies Restrepo is superior.

If you've been sleeping on both these docs I recommend watching them together because it's really interesting to see the different mentalities Danish and American troops have when it comes to the spectrum of war. Though if you have to pick one make it Restrepo. Just in case the reason you are sleeping on these docs is because you don't want to see another silly take on the Afghanistan war, know that both of these movies take no political stand of any kind and just straight up film the lifestyles, behavior, and personalities of young soldiers in intense combat situations.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Versus Boredom posted:

If you've been sleeping on both these docs I recommend watching them together because it's really interesting to see the different mentalities Danish and American troops have when it comes to the spectrum of war. Though if you have to pick one make it Restrepo. Just in case the reason you are sleeping on these docs is because you don't want to see another silly take on the Afghanistan war, know that both of these movies take no political stand of any kind and just straight up film the lifestyles, behavior, and personalities of young soldiers in intense combat situations.

To be honest, my reason for not wanting to see it is because I've known too many soldiers so I don't know why I'd want to see them in their everyday lives. It would be like watching a documentary about journalism students or wrestling fans who volunteer for free to help out local indies.

I might still end up seeing Restrepo. Buzz usually does that to me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Rojkir posted:

No Direction Home is just about Bob Dylan, but it's worth watching because he takes about why he made the kind of music he did and how people reacted when his music changed. There are interviews with other musicians from the 60s but it's really good for giving you an idea of what things were like at the time.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Dispatches: Beneath The Veil[/]
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4201322772364661561&hl=sv
A truly disgusting look into the living conditions of women under the Taliban regime

quote:

An anonymous woman, covered from head to toe in a blue burka, is dragged across a football pitch and shot in front of 30,000 spectators. This haunting image of Taliban justice was filmed secretly in Channel 4′s award-winning documentary Beneath the Veil broadcast in June 2001. The woman was Zarmina, 35-year-old mother of seven. In a new Dispatches film, Lifting the Veil, Carla Garapedian went to Afghanistan to discover her story and see whether women’s lives have improved since the fall of the Taliban.
After a secret trial, Zarmina was jailed with her six-month-old twins. They were confined to one room for three years. She confessed that her husband, Alozai, had discovered she had committed adultery saying: ‘He said, “Tomorrow I will go to the Taliban and they will stone you to death.” That night I was afraid. I hit him over the head with a mallet.’
Money could have saved Zarmina’s life. The final Supreme Court ruling stated that her life would have been spared if she paid 10,000 dirhams ($8,000 dollars) to her seven children for the loss of their father. But she had no money. Under Taliban law, Zarmina was judged by her own children. Children often participated in Taliban justice and witnessed executions. Alozai’s brother brought the couple’s children to court. Zarmina’s mother says: ‘They were always beating the children to say their mother had killed.’

The Final Insult
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6621908278614449486

Channel 4's documentary about how the World Jewish Congress, in the words of Norman Finkelstein, blackmailed the Swiss Banks for reparations, and then kept the money from the survivors.

SleepyStudent
Nov 11, 2010
http://www.alluc.org/movies/watch-picture-me-a-models-diary-2009-online/215345.html?lang=EN

Picture me a modes diary, A look at the inner world of modeling.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enron:_The_Smartest_Guys_in_the_Room
I think Netflix has it on their instant watch.

Details the Enron scandal in great detail. Infuriating and informative! Gives you an idea just how deep that fraud really went. Also, for some reason, random stripper titties at one point in the movie.

Comedy Option:
The Great Global Warming Swindle, where some British fucker gives you the most horrible lies to try to prove his scientifically unsound point. And when I say lies, I don't mean like he spins things and selectively interprets things and cherry picks. (well, he does that too) What I mean is the straight-up fabrication of data type of lies.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I use this link at least a few times a week:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/video/flv/generic.html

This takes you to a video viewer for a good chunk of PBS content (ignore the error message and click the upper row). Not only do you have access to all Frontline short docu content, but every ep of News Hour, Tavis Smiley, and more. No/few ads, and no rigamarole.

You can get all of this and more from just visiting PBS.org, but I find this a bit more handy for quick access to Frontline and News Hour.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

HedgeHodge posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but here's a great site for streaming documentaries: Documentary Heaven. Some of the streams are down, but there's still a number of great documentaries.

There seems to be an awful amount of crap on there though, nutty conspiracy stuff and the like.

hairytruman
Jun 9, 2009
Mardi Gras: Made in China
This examination of cultural and economic globalization follows the life-cycle of Mardi Gras beads from a small factory in Fuzhou, China, to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and to art galleries in New York City. (from imdb)

I watched this last year and it is a really interesting documentary that tries to create a relationship between the producer (China) and the consumer (America). If you are interested in globalization, sociology, economics etc you'll probably like this :)

I used this as a citation in a paper I wrote last semester, and now that teacher shows this documentary in his class :eng101: So it may be useful in that respect too!

Did a search on google and found this (it has Japanese subtitles), but if you poke around more there are many other links to this.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I wanted to say thank you to everyone that posted, this thread has been an amazing resource. It just so happens that I've been in a documentary frame of mind lately, and about a week after that sea change occured, I found this thread. Awesome timing on my part, I guess.

I saw Dear Zachary as well, and I nodded knowingly when people have posted about it. I had a few misgivings about the fact that it wasn't exactly objective, and some of the presentation was quite overdramatic, but I understand what they needed to do and it never claimed to be an objective look at the justice system, so I appreciated it for what it was. It made me cry for the first time in, well a long time. I highly suggest it, but do it on a day where if you get sad or mad it won't mess anything up, I wouldn't watch it as I'm getting ready for a date for example.

I don't have any to suggest because the ones I've seen have been suggested and vetted throughout the thread, but I felt a thank you was appropriate because these recommendations have been so valuable to me.

I've enjoyed the Madness on the Motorway doc as well, wow what a story. I usually busy myself with other things while I watch, this one had me riveted and I kept my eyes on it.

I actually have a request, come to think of it. Does anyone know of any documentaries about the Innocence Project, or other court cases that were overturned because of new evidence/better lawyering/public outcry? Or, what life is like once your conviction is overturned, and you're released from jail, I'm interested in that as well. There has to be something on David Milgaard, I'd think? I haven't found anything. If there was one posted already, my apologies, I don't recall seeing any.

And on second thought, any other ones along the lines of Madness on the Motorway, where people come out of nowhere and do absolutely bizarre stuff. I would love to see more of that, I can't believe how that one held my interest.

*edit OH OH OH almost forgot- shipwrecks! especially if there's lots of underwater footage. I'm reading this book right now, 'Shadow Divers', and it's fascinated me. I've always been interested in shipwrecks and the Titanic and what not, but now I have to sperg out on this poo poo thanks to this book.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

when worlds collide posted:

I actually have a request, come to think of it. Does anyone know of any documentaries about the Innocence Project, or other court cases that were overturned because of new evidence/better lawyering/public outcry? Or, what life is like once your conviction is overturned, and you're released from jail, I'm interested in that as well. There has to be something on David Milgaard, I'd think? I haven't found anything. If there was one posted already, my apologies, I don't recall seeing any.

After Innocence is right up your alley, it's even on Netflix streaming now: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/3739 It's not easy to watch these guys have to deal with so much bureaucracy to prove their innocence.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

mod sassinator posted:

After Innocence is right up your alley, it's even on Netflix streaming now: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/3739 It's not easy to watch these guys have to deal with so much bureaucracy to prove their innocence.

Thank you! That's exactly the sort of thing I was after. I've always been into critiques of due process and the justice system, but I know of very little that shows what these people go through once they're out. It looks heartbreaking, better batten down with some kleenex.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Zeitgeist: Moving Forward

Was just released on the web a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z9WVZddH9w

I just finished watching it, All I have to say is that it further reinstates my feelings for how much of a :smith:-like world we live in today. Honestly, this movie has me blown away, the way things work, in a world, where money and temporary consumerist novelties are more valuable than the human well-being.

I'd recommend everyone, ever, to watch this and think deep after viewing it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That isn't a sequel to that horrible Zetigeist film that came out a few years ago, is it?

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!
Great thread! I've spent countless hours watching stuff that has been posted here, and I'm glad that I'm finally able to contribute something.

Afghantsi (1988)

Wikipedia posted:

"Afghantsi is a 1988 documentary film directed by Peter Kosminsky for Yorkshire Television.

It is based on numerous interviews with Soviet soldiers and officers filmed in Kabul at the end of the Soviet war in Afghanistan. Kosminsky visited several units of the 103rd Airborne Division, including an outpost on a mountain side overlooking Tajbeg Palace, the headquarters of the 40th Army.

The heroes of the film speak about the hardships of service in Afghanistan, combat experience and the loss of close friends. Another part of the film is devoted to interviews with veterans of the war that have already returned home, and parents of those who died.

It really does stand on its' own as a great documentary, but I think it's an especially interesting watch for those who've seen the Restrepo and/or Armadillo-documentaries of 2010.

Watch it here. (Megavideo)

I hope it hasn't been posted before!

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That isn't a sequel to that horrible Zetigeist film that came out a few years ago, is it?

I haven't seen the first two films, but judging from the trailers and articles, this one is literally nothing like the previous films. This one seems to have a centered focus on media, culture, human rationality, the future, and technology.

e: Someone posted the website for it above, the trailer can be seen here if you're interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGm5r-q2TLY

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Imapanda posted:

I haven't seen the first two films, but judging from the trailers and articles, this one is literally nothing like the previous films.

The first two were nothing but alarmist conspiracy theories at best, and this one doesn't seem to be much different really. Sorry :(