Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Holy crap, season 2 of Breaking Bad. I've just started but this is a drat intense show, I smoke a lot during it.

And yeah, FNL season 4 is brilliant. I really need to catch up on season 5...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Starting my Six Feet Under binge tonight or tomorrow. I know tons of spoilers and the ending but I can't wait. I need a show like this in my life.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Starting my Six Feet Under binge tonight or tomorrow. I know tons of spoilers and the ending but I can't wait. I need a show like this in my life.

It's amazing. I've just finished Season 4 and it's been really consistent throughout. Season 4 was a little eh in terms of Claire's and Rico's arcs (well, Rico has always been poo poo) but I'm looking forward to Season 5 as everyone says it's the best.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Just finished Mad Men. Probably going to start on Boardwalk Empire. I know it's the 20s, but I feel like I'm trying to hold on to the feeling.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I just started Party Down, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My first (attempted) binge of Arrested Development was during the time of the Hulu Plus debut, and they took down the season I was in the middle of, and I ended up moving on to other things instead of getting the episodes elsewhere right away. I've finally come back to it and am starting over from the beginning.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Recently finished a slow burn through Rome, then a 2 day burn through Party Down. I enjoyed both a lot, and now I'm debating between Deadwood and Mad Men.

I think I'm going to go with Deadwood based on my overall interests, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep putting Mad Men off as it seems to get brought up in every TV conversation I ever have and I hate not having seen any of it.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Psych. Such an awesome, nerdy show.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

JVO posted:

Recently finished a slow burn through Rome, then a 2 day burn through Party Down. I enjoyed both a lot, and now I'm debating between Deadwood and Mad Men.

I think I'm going to go with Deadwood based on my overall interests, but I'm not sure how much longer I can keep putting Mad Men off as it seems to get brought up in every TV conversation I ever have and I hate not having seen any of it.

Deadwood is so awesome I'm envious it's your first viewing. I've seen the whole series maybe 4 times. Mad Men was great, but this was actually my second attempt. I tried to pick up the series earlier and only made it to Ep3-4 before I dropped it. But then again, there seemed to be something good coming on every night and I didn't have much time to devote to it.
The funny thing about Mad Men is that I don't watch very many shows where the conflict resolution isn't violence. Mad Men has some staggering poo poo going on but barely a fist is thrown in anger. There is this professional "gently caress you" that is adminstered instead for the most part.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Checked out Oz again since I was pretty young when it came out and I wanted to see if it still held up. The first few seasons were excellent but it takes a nosedive after Adebisi is killed by Saïd. Next season Saïd wonders around in the background for a while and doesn't really do anything when he is on screen. Crazy out of this world plots start to surface such as demonic possession, Alvarez and the end times. I also felt there was way too much emphasis on the Beecher/Keller on-again, off-again love story. When Saïd is shot by Idzik the show pretty much lost its direction. The last season was pretty awful but it had a few decent moments. I really do feel it should have come to a close around season 4 but overall I would recommend seasons 1, 2 3 and 4.

Going to be receiving The Wire soon and it should be a mindfuck seeing so many familiar faces again.

Weatherproof posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for decent comedies I haven't seen? I've seen, and liked, the following:

Yeah, I know, I've watched a lot of TV over the last few years! Wouldn't mind some suggestions for UK shows, they seem to get less international publicity and are hard to discover. (Him and Her is a really awesome show that I don't think I've seen mentioned here at all).

I loved and would recommend 15 Stories High. The bleak look of the show may put many off, but it's one of the funnier British comedies I've seen. I also may have a huge bias in enjoying this cause I love Sean Lock but I think you will enjoy it.

The Cosby Mysteries fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 22, 2011

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is surprisingly good. I watched all available episodes in just 2 days.

I've also started Scrubs and Californication. For some reason, I thought Californication was an hour long drama, not a half-hour comedy. I've just finished season 1, and I like it, but I feel like it has more to give. Maybe it will in the upcoming seasons.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

thrawn86 posted:

e:whats the consensus on Big Love s4? I finished the first 3 a few weeks ago.

Kind of a disaster. The performances and direction are typically strong but it's all sabotaged by the writing. The main plot sets Bill on a path implausibly stupid and selfish even by his standards, and happenings at the compound are likewise absurdly grotesque even for them. It still has little moments that remind you what the series is capable of so it's not unwatchable but be prepared for the worst, especially coming off the excellent third season.

The fifth and final season premiered Sunday. Some people behind the show have publicly acknowledged the problems of the fourth season and said they intend to put things back on track. We'll see.

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Checked out Oz again since I was pretty young when it came out and I wanted to see if it still held up. The first few seasons were excellent but it takes a nosedive after Adebisi is killed by Saïd. Next season Saïd wonders around in the background for a while and doesn't really do anything when he is on screen. Crazy out of this world plots start to surface such as demonic possession, Alvarez and the end times. I also felt there was way too much emphasis on the Beecher/Keller on-again, off-again love story. When Saïd is shot by Idzik the show pretty much lost its direction. The last season was pretty awful but it had a few decent moments. I really do feel it should have come to a close around season 4 but overall I would recommend seasons 1, 2 3 and 4.

Oz is great, but you're right. It doesn't really hold that well now anwyay. I got as far as Luiz Guzman being introduced in my rewatch before my wife and I got bored. Last time we at least made it to Luke Perry dying.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Finally finished Six Feet Under and pretty much cried for the last four episodes.

:cry:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

I hooked up the first season of The Wire from Netflix before Christmas (brother gave me a subscription for Christmas) and I've never been so loving hooked on a show before - I couldn't wait till I got the next disc in the mail. I grabbed Season 2 earlier this week from the library and ripped through it in about 2 days and I'm currently burning through Season 3 from the library as well.

God, this is easily one of the best loving shows I have ever watched - it even edges out Mad Men in my book.

The writing and acting is top-notch but what really impressed me right off the bat is the fact that they're so uncompromising about not glorifying police work - it's loving mountains of work to make any sort of case against anyone and nothing is resolved by a gunfight with the top bad guy.

I even have to say I'll give Domenick Lombardozzi some credit - his character on Entourage was an annoying sack of poo poo who never should have been written in, but I like him as Herc.

Having watched Boardwalk Empire from the get-go, I finally get why everyone was spanking it over Michael K. Williams (who has been good on BE with the little screen time he's gotten so far). Omar is a great character though he's just one of many in a sea of great characters on The Wire.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 24, 2011

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The wife and I just went through Party Down over the weekend. What an excellent show, and what a shame that it won't be coming back. Still, it's nice that it went out without ever having a bad episode, and with something resembling closure.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Finished Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead as it aired. Watching Castle season 3 from backed up episodes and binged through My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic on youtube, pretty awesome show. :3

Yes, I am a man.
Edit: The Tudors season 4 on dvd as well starting next week.

foastwab
Sep 1, 2009

by XyloJW
Just finished episode 12 of Breaking Bad season three. This was my face during the last two minutes or so:

:ohdear:

:aaa:

:eek:

:golfclap:

I don't want this season to end!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
There are Pretenders among us. Geniuses that can become anyone they want to be.

I loved that show as a kid and I've now watched every single episode. It's great but becomes just a tad bit convoluted near the end. The prophecy is bullshit but strangely kind off works.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Been watching Being Human (UK) lately. So far I've found it extremely entertaining. All the main characters are very likeable, the actors do a great job, and the story seems to be moving at a pretty fast pace. I would definitely check this out if you are interested in the US version, or just like shows dealing with the supernatural in general.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Just started The Wire season 5 last night. I'm kinda sad that this trip is almost over, I can't think of a single show I've ever enjoyed this much. Just ordered The Corner and Homicide on amazon though, so at least I'll be able to extend the experience a little bit.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM
I just finished Arrested Development the other day. I was so sad when it was done that I ate a whole thing of candy beans. The last episode was so touching because...

*spoiler*

George Michael was in love with his cousin for nearly the whole length of the series. When it finally starts evolving into a friendship GM and the viewer really realise "Oh, wow, he's IN LOVE WITH and FOOLING AROUND with his COUSIN". GM doesn't know what else to do but to run away from everything. It's touching because Michael realises the severity of it and unselfishly runs away with him because GM is his first priority. You then notice how deep the show can go.

It is totally OK to call me a fag after that. If it even made sense...

Anyways, My fiance and I have been watching Angel and Dexter. Angel was a spin-off of Buffy: The Vampire Slayer which is one of the best shows of all time. Angel is alright, but not as good. Dexter is loving AWESOME and drat Netflix for being backed up and not sending more DVDs

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

foastwab posted:

Just finished episode 12 of Breaking Bad season three. This was my face during the last two minutes or so:

:aaa:

:eek:

:golfclap:

I don't want this season to end!

I'm on episode 2 of season 2 and this show is making me go through cigarettes like no one's business. Plus, the whole episode I thought Tuco would rape Hank. That's what the opening montage made me think... well, that and something about "Hank's traumatic experience with Tuco" in one of the later episode blurbs. I dunno, maybe I just thought they'd steal a plot point from The Shield.

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

I took a week off work because I feel like being a lazy poo poo and I have a lot of PTO. Tomorrow is the last day I have off, between the beginning and now I have watched:

Season 1 of Supernatural
Season 2 of Supernatural
Season 7 of Top Gear
Season 8 of Top gear

Rewatched season 1 of Archer

Started season 4 of DBZ

I will deny vehemently that I'm finishing season 2 of Jersey Shore.

I love paul d hes so cool. (no homo.)

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Jesus, DBZ? I hope you're watching the updated version that's been airing in Japan with all the endless loving filler edited out and the animation cleaned up. I watched the original series when I was like 11 and was still bothered by it, but a little while ago I watched some of the remade series and it was actually halfway decent and somewhat bearable.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm on season 2 of Parks and Recreation and it's funny as hell. I don't usually watch comedies but this one is special.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I just binged all of Skins season 1 today. It was pretty decent. I'd say my only gripe is that for the first half of the season most of the characters are pretty terrible people. I guess that's kind of the point though, since each episode focuses on one character at a time and once you see their point of view you get a lot more understanding of their actions, but for some characters it doesn't really help. Tony, Michelle and Chris are all still pretty horrible even when you know where they're coming from.

Not sure if there's a thread for the show or if it's just lumped into the British Programmes thread but all day I've been wanting to tell somebody, anybody just how badly I wished Tony would get neutered.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just watched the premiere of the wonderful series Kings again, a show that I watched in its entirety when it first ran. But I've been barreling through Deadwood a second time lately, and wanted more Ian McShane, so I figured what the hell. What a fantastic loving series Kings is, though!

I know, it had one season that didn't even air in its entirety before it was canceled but that doesn't change how magnificent and well done it was. I would recommend it to pretty much anyone, it's so incredible, unique, and unlike any other TV show that had ever been attempted. I am, admittedly, a sucker for any film, TV show, novel or video game that presents an ancient story in a modern setting, so there is that. But regardless, it's an amazing way to frame any story.

I think what had always intrigued me the most is how Kings integrates not religion, but faith into its narrative. God is almost a literal character, complete with his own personality, agenda, and relationship to each of the characters - which is just the way he's portrayed in the Old Testament. I am not a religious man by any means, but that doesn't change what a great storytelling device God can be when used in this fashion - particularly since he is presented without pretense or metaphysical explanation of any sort. He's simply there, imposing his will at all times.

Also, it goes without saying that McShane is such a superb actor that it's worth it just to watch him as THE KING. He commands every scene he's in, and it's absolutely mesmerizing to behold. I don't care how incomplete Kings is, truly. It's such an amazing piece of work that anyone with the slightest spark of interest owes it to themselves to at least watch the first episode, which is still available (along with the entire series) to stream for free on Hulu.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
I've been watching Better Off Ted lately, and man, Portia de Rossi is incredible as Veronica. Her tone of voice, her facial expressions, her body language, her timing... it's amazing, really. And on the few occasions when she lets her hair down... :swoon:

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
Just finished off all the seasons of Weeds last night(been watching them with my cousin and her husband the past few weeks). Good poo poo . Started watching Greek with them, and I wanted to know if it ever dipped in quality later.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm about 5 episodes into 24. Does it get better? Every episode so far is Jack breaking out of somewhere, hurting someone within his own agency then just saying "Trust me, please everybody just trust me!" And then they do.

edit: Also, why hasn't Palmer told his family that the freakin news was going to run the story anyway? The truth was going to come out whether through him or through the media. All this strife with his wife and kids is dumb as hell.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 27, 2011

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

JLightning posted:

I'm about 5 episodes into 24. Does it get better? Every episode so far is Jack breaking out of somewhere, hurting someone within his own agency then just saying "Trust me, please everybody just trust me!" And then they do.

edit: Also, why hasn't Palmer told his family that the freakin news was going to run the story anyway? The truth was going to come out whether through him or through the media. All this strife with his wife and kids is dumb as hell.

:twentyfour: is pretty much everything you said (Jack gone rogue + lovely subplots, also MOLES) but put on repeat and more extreme every season. If you're not enjoying it so far, it's probably not for you.

Half way through season 1 of Deadwood. This show has a great cast, also cocksucker.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

JVO posted:

:twentyfour: is pretty much everything you said (Jack gone rogue + lovely subplots, also MOLES) but put on repeat and more extreme every season. If you're not enjoying it so far, it's probably not for you.

Half way through season 1 of Deadwood. This show has a great cast, also cocksucker.

Yeah, despite it being one of my favorite shows of all time, this is pretty much correct. If you think season 1, which is one of the more sensible seasons, is over the top then it only gets worse from here on out.

Its a great "stop thinking and enjoy the ride" show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

JLightning posted:

The show just gets even more ridiculous and dumb. People that are dead come back, traitors are double, triple, quadruble agents, etc.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The show just gets even more ridiculous and dumb. People that are dead come back, traitors are double, triple, quadruble agents, etc.

And yet it manages to get more repetitive and less interesting as it goes on.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Borh posted:

I've been watching Better Off Ted lately, and man, Portia de Rossi is incredible as Veronica. Her tone of voice, her facial expressions, her body language, her timing... it's amazing, really. And on the few occasions when she lets her hair down... :swoon:

Yeah, initially the character was pretty one dimensional. As the show went on she got better and better and by the end was easily my favourite character.

I miss that show :(

If I look back over the last few years of cancelled shows I think Better Off Ted and Life stand out as the ones I would have really liked to have seen more of. Maybe not the best, or even my favourites... they were just two "go to" shows I really enjoyed.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 27, 2011

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
I started watching Gossip Girl season 4 when it aired and decided I liked it enough to watch the rest. I'm almost caught up now and I love how everyone backstabs, creates drama, and is all over the place. I did hope we would have one character with morals though. Rufus doesn't count. I was upset Jenny turned out to be just like everyone else.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Gravy Jones posted:

Yeah, initially the character was pretty one dimensional. As the show went on she got better and better and by the end was easily my favourite character.

I miss that show :(

If I look back over the last few years of cancelled shows I think Better Off Ted and Life stand out as the ones I would have really liked to have seen more of. Maybe not the best, or even my favourites... they were just two "go to" shows I really enjoyed.

The only clip I've ever seen of Life is the Prince of Persia playing to unlock a killer's secret. I keep hearing good things about it, but tell me it's not that retarded, that was CSI-Miami subpar....

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
They just put Law and Order: Criminal Intent up steaming on Netflix, and I watch it while painting while trying to wind down from my job. This is the most watchable of the L&O's I find. The original isn't high octane enough, L&O: SVU is always going going over some trippy edge.

gently caress Jeff Goldblum, though. I'm not watching that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Cart posted:

The only clip I've ever seen of Life is the Prince of Persia playing to unlock a killer's secret. I keep hearing good things about it, but tell me it's not that retarded, that was CSI-Miami subpar....

That's pretty much universally aknowledged as the worst episode, so yeah I wouldn't judge it based on that.

Overall the show is just another episodic procedural with a quirky lead. Nothing out of the ordinary and the plot of the average weekly episode was nothing special. To be honest not that much different to a dozen other shows on at any given time. But.... I just really liked the cast, the characters, the chemistry between them and the tone and feel (and sense of humour) of the show.

It also had a larger "conspiracy" plot running through it that got a few minutes in each episode and the ocassional entire episode dedicated to it. Those tended to be pretty bad rear end.

It's absolutely worth a watch if you like procedurals. But, like most of them, it's pretty much all down to whether or not you like the leads.