Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
I'm assuming you mean this section? What exactly needs to be enabled/disabled?

Click here for the full 648x484 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
CPU Ratio from "Auto" to a number?

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

It looks like either the motherboard is messed up, or the processor isn't actually a fully unlocked i2500k. I've even tried running the AI Suite and it overclocked the bus speed and wouldn't even touch the multiplier at all. Regardless, the place I got it from will accept an exchange on both the motherboard and processor, with zero restocking fee, so no worries. Thanks everyone who helped with suggestions, looks like I'll be rebuilding tomorrow.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Normally I would be very confused as to why you are having problems, but it seems like since my last restart, I'm suddenly getting the same thing and the multiplier adjustment in AI Suite has disappeared. :confused:

E: Rebooting fixed me up... hunh. Well, here's looking forward to the next BIOS update.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 22, 2011

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Good luck, hopefully it's just a glitch! I feel like I'm the only person who has actually had a problem with Sandy Bridge, everywhere else I look everyone's gushing about the easy overclock. I'll probably pay the difference and upgrade to a 2600k anyway, so no biggie.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Is it normal for my 2500k to idle at 45C in the BIOS? Is the temperature reading inaccurate? I have my thermostat set to 32C (although I don't know the actual room temperature). It's just that I got a Noctua NH-U12P and according to some web sites, the 2500k runs at much lower temperatures even with the stock cooler. Is it just my hot room, or should I re-seat the heat sink?

It would be really helpful if anyone could tell me what temperature their P8P67 bios reports for the CPU.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes, it's normal. As covered in the last few pages, a modern operating system will halt the processor, then tell it to wake up when it has work. When halted, that's the idle state. A BIOS, even UEFI, is not that sophisticated, so the processor is constantly polling the mouse to be able to respond to clicks and update where the pointer is. Your processor is actually busy most of the time in UEFI, just not with really taxing work, so you will see a "light load"-type temperature.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I've been running my 2500k at 4.0ghz from the first power on with my new system with absolutely no problems at all. I decided to run download Real Temp and Prime 95 last night to see what my temps are.

Got as high as 74°C before I shut down Prime95 (less than 10 minutes of running). Dropped the multiplier back to 33x and have been running Prime95 in the background, temps are about 66°C.

I'm pretty sure I installed the stock cooler correctly (it doesn't move at all, clips are all correct), although I didn't take the time to dig out my Arctic Silver and just used the thermal paste that Intel ships on their stock cooler. Anandtech had a system running at 4.4ghz on the stock cooler - although I don't recall seeing their temperatures anywhere.

I'm seriously considering a Cooler Master Hyper212 cooler just to get my temps down. I smoked an Athlon many years ago trying to overclock it on inadequate cooling and don't want to do the same thing with my new CPU.

Am I over thinking this? Should I even worry about temps that high?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

LordOfThePants posted:

Got as high as 74°C before I shut down Prime95 (less than 10 minutes of running). Dropped the multiplier back to 33x and have been running Prime95 in the background, temps are about 66°C.

You should try to get your voltage down first. You may have a chip that can run at 4.0ghz with way less voltage than the motherboard thinks it needs. I'm assuming you have it set to auto since you haven't said otherwise.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Kashwashwa posted:

You should try to get your voltage down first. You may have a chip that can run at 4.0ghz with way less voltage than the motherboard thinks it needs. I'm assuming you have it set to auto since you haven't said otherwise.

Following the guide posted earlier, I started at 1.12v and after a couple of spectacular failures at loading Win 7, went to 1.2 at the stock multiplier. Temps aren't really any lower while running Prime95.

One thing that is interesting is that while Real Temp is giving me temps of around 30° at idle, SpeedFan and the Gigabyte software are showing them around 16-17°C. I'm not sure why the values are different when they're supposed to be reading the same sensors.

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

LordOfThePants posted:

One thing that is interesting is that while Real Temp is giving me temps of around 30° at idle, SpeedFan and the Gigabyte software are showing them around 16-17°C. I'm not sure why the values are different when they're supposed to be reading the same sensors.

For me, the temperature on Core 0 is always a good 8-10 C lower than temps on Core 1 and 2. I think EasyTune reads the Core 0 temperature only.

My theory? Core 0 is next to the unused (for us) graphics core, so it has a lot of excess silicon to spread the heat around, whereas Core 1 and 2 are surrounded by other heat-generating components.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Wedesdo posted:

For me, the temperature on Core 0 is always a good 8-10 C lower than temps on Core 1 and 2. I think EasyTune reads the Core 0 temperature only.

My theory? Core 0 is next to the unused (for us) graphics core, so it has a lot of excess silicon to spread the heat around, whereas Core 1 and 2 are surrounded by other heat-generating components.

Both Speedfan and RealTemp show me values for all four cores and they're always within 1-2° of each other.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Finally assembled and running! Windows didn't complain at all, stable (so far) at 4.8GHz, load temps w/ OCCT at 65C. (i7-2600K, P8P67, 16GB RAM). No errors in RAM either!

Pretty pumped, can't wait to throw some games and VMs at this sucka. I didn't clean off the heatsink as well as I could have (no rubbing alcohol, and was lazy so I used vodka instead), but the temps are pretty much the same I was getting with a C2D, so I'm OK with not messing with it any more.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Anyone have any experience with the Asrock boards? The Exp4 & Exp6 have 775 mounting holes, which I need for my water block. Ill be pairing it with the 2500k

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dud root posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Asrock boards? The Exp4 & Exp6 have 775 mounting holes, which I need for my water block. Ill be pairing it with the 2500k

Anand reviewed an ASRock model, they seemed to like it quite a bit, good bang for buck.

Aside, anybody else have Win7 convinced they have a 5.8GHz i7?

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

movax posted:

Anand reviewed an ASRock model, they seemed to like it quite a bit, good bang for buck.

Has anyone reviewed the stock Asus P67 yet? Interested in a comparison between the Asrock and it. Really don't want to shell out the money for a Pro when the z series is still yet to come out.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

QQmore posted:

Has anyone reviewed the stock Asus P67 yet? Interested in a comparison between the Asrock and it. Really don't want to shell out the money for a Pro when the z series is still yet to come out.

Anandtech posted:

However, the second question is: ‘what about the comparison to the ASRock P67 Extreme4’? The ASRock board has power/reset buttons on the board, a Debug LED, that USB 3.0 bracket which will hold an SSD (worth in my option about $15), and is almost $40 cheaper. The ASUS board is the slightly better performing, overclocking is easier on the ASUS, the ASUS has a longer warranty, the UEFI is slightly better on the ASUS, the ASUS uses Intel Ethernet rather than Realtek, but the ASRock will take socket 775 coolers. It is up to you to judge, but in my opinion, I would take the Extreme4, pocket the $40 difference, and invest it in something else for a PC build.

e: oh, the regular P8P67? Don't think so. I'd probably pay the extra $10 or $20 for the ASUS board.

e2: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/12/asus-p8p67-review/1 & http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1500/1/ seem to indicate it's just as solid as the Pro.

Srebrenica Surprise fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 23, 2011

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Yes, it's normal. As covered in the last few pages, a modern operating system will halt the processor, then tell it to wake up when it has work. When halted, that's the idle state. A BIOS, even UEFI, is not that sophisticated, so the processor is constantly polling the mouse to be able to respond to clicks and update where the pointer is. Your processor is actually busy most of the time in UEFI, just not with really taxing work, so you will see a "light load"-type temperature.

Thanks a lot. I installed windows and my idle temperature is 35 C, which is not bad considering how much I blast the heat in here.

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

e: oh, the regular P8P67? Don't think so. I'd probably pay the extra $10 or $20 for the ASUS board.

e2: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2011/01/12/asus-p8p67-review/1 & http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1500/1/ seem to indicate it's just as solid as the Pro.

Okay, I ended up going for the asrock mobo, just bought it and should be here in a couple days.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm totally satisfied with my UD4. No UEFI, but who cares about that. AFAIK it'll still boot off a 3TB drive, if I had one to throw in there. I don't care about boot speeds, sleep has totally replaced shutdown for me.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

movax posted:

I thought this was something I hosed up but there you go. Windows and some other things like 3D Mark think my CPU is 5.8ghz but the highest I've ever had it is 4.2ghz.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

spanko posted:

I thought this was something I hosed up but there you go. Windows and some other things like 3D Mark think my CPU is 5.8ghz but the highest I've ever had it is 4.2ghz.

Haha I couldn't figure it out either.

Is there really much real world difference in terms of games when overclocking higher and higher on the 2500k? I did bump my cores up to 42 for a 4.2 GHz overclock on the Hyper 212. I had no luck at all overclocking my old E8400 so I'm being really conservative with this 2500k. 3.3 > 4.2 was a realistic OC and actually seems like it made a couple FPS difference in Crysis on Enthusiast, but that could be just me wishful thinking.

I'm considering bumping it up to 4.5 GHz but I've no idea what to put the voltage at. I've been told 1.300-1.350 are about the max you want to do, but that's on some other message boards where people get a hardon for 5.0 GHz whereas I couldn't care less about having a signature with my e-penis processor.

I'm pretty sure I mounted the Hyper 212 right, but there's not much to go on. My idle temps are around 29 degrees on all 4 cores and hit about 54 degrees on Intel Burn Core after 10 regular tests. I didn't use Arctic Silver [just the stuff the 212 came with] and it's only got the push fan. I'm also considering adding a second fan on but not sure whether it's worth it or not, I'm pretty sure there's enough room in the case for the push/pull as people say.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

spanko posted:

Ahkay, gotcha. I POST'd once at 5.0GHz but that was at scary scary high VCore. Settled @ 1.3V and 4.8GHz, a happy medium. It would survive OCCT Linpack at 1.2875, but Black Ops and Force Unleashed would BSOD in minutes :iiam:

Putting my BCLK above 101 causes instability galore, so I've just left it at 100.0.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

dud root posted:

Asrock boards are okay as long as you stay away from the crazy double architecture gimmick boards, those things never work right. The normal ones tend to be fine.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

pienipple posted:

Asrock boards are okay as long as you stay away from the crazy double architecture gimmick boards, those things never work right. The normal ones tend to be fine.

They have a P67 board for 1156 processors which just blows my mind!

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

Godinster posted:

I'm considering bumping it up to 4.5 GHz but I've no idea what to put the voltage at. I've been told 1.300-1.350 are about the max you want to do, but that's on some other message boards where people get a hardon for 5.0 GHz whereas I couldn't care less about having a signature with my e-penis processor.

I like the easy overclocks that don't require a ton of trial and error stability and settings changes. As soon as I got my setup up and running I set all 4 turbo multipliers to 40 and after two 12 hourish prime95 runs without errors I set it to 4.2 and did a couple more overnight torture tests. You have to remember that an i5 2500 has a normal turbo speed of 3.7, so in my case its only a 500mhz overlock. I also left all voltages at auto, the only settings besides the turbo multiplier i changed was phase control or something, which I set to medium. I might try 4.5 one day when I'm bored but I doubt it would be a big difference from 4.2. Going by various forum posts it seems 4.5 and up is where you start having to really tweak things and raise voltages to stay stable.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I just got my system together and bumped all turbo multipliers up to 41, didn't touch any voltages or thermal throttling etc, and it keeps on downclocking back to 3.8 or 3.7 when running prime. Temps are fine, do I maybe have to manually reduce the vcore or increase some of the short term turbo settings? (i5 2500K on a Intel DP67BA)

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 23, 2011

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
What motherboard and bios? That sounds weird, are you sure you didn't set the turbo multiplier to 41 for only certain cores? You can set what you want to be on all cores or a per core basis.

Also I figured I'd post this here as its kind of neat.

Click here for the full 1841x563 image.

I used Realtemp to log my cpu speed and temps one night during a WoW raid, the graph begins about 1.5 hours before the raid and ends about 1.5 hours after. It has some nice features like excel output and I like it a lot more in general than hwmonitor and coretemp.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Motherboard is Intel DP67BA, bios is the latest the autoupdater found. I have base multiplier and all 4 turbo multipliers @ 41, yet CPU-Z still shows it only going up to 3.9ghz, and it quickly drops down to 3.3. It seems like some of the options are just being flatout ignored.
I'll try RealTemp, but I doubt its the readings :(

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar
I don't know what to say except that Intel motherboards have never been very good for any kind of tweaking or overclocking. I assume this is the bios you're using, its the newest one I could find on Intel's site. I don't think its worth it to by a new motherboard, but in the future if you plan on overclocking or tweaking at all I'd get a non-Intel board (Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Yup, thats the version I'm using.

Overclocking wasn't my main goal with this build, but I just noticed that whenever I change values in the options page of the bios, the overview page has the values in the "default" column changed and not in "active"... so I'll just wait for a new bios version.

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

dud root posted:

Me and my my friend bought the cheapest Asrock 1156 matx mobo for his i5 2400...None of us really cared about USB 3.0, and we went back and found out it has that and also UEFI. Amazing deal I tell ya.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

movax posted:

Finally assembled and running! Windows didn't complain at all, stable (so far) at 4.8GHz, load temps w/ OCCT at 65C. (i7-2600K, P8P67, 16GB RAM). No errors in RAM either!

Pretty pumped, can't wait to throw some games and VMs at this sucka. I didn't clean off the heatsink as well as I could have (no rubbing alcohol, and was lazy so I used vodka instead), but the temps are pretty much the same I was getting with a C2D, so I'm OK with not messing with it any more.

With a p183 and stock fans, how much can I comfortably push the 2600k?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

With a p183 and stock fans, how much can I comfortably push the 2600k?

Every chip is different; I think I'm lucky to be stable at 4.8GHz at only 1.30Vcore.

The ideal goal is to crank up the multiplier while not changing VCore. Realistically, as you crank up the multiplier for maximum turbo frequency, you will have to increase VCore if you want any resemblance of stability. With that said, you also have to keep it within safe thermal margins.

You should be able to hit 4.4GHz with some very minor bumps in VCore. It's pretty late for me, and I don't recall the safe voltage limit at the moment, but I honestly wouldn't go above 1.35V for 24/7 operation. My personal goal was to stop at whatever frequency resulted in stability at 1.30V.

I have no idea how hot your ambient environment is, or what your case airflow is like, but IMHO, idle temps should stay below 45C or so. My ambient is around 26C I think, and I idle at 37C, load at 65C. One GTX460 and 4 HDDs inside case, 4 undervolted fans.

e: My heatsink is the Ultra 120 Extreme with a SFF21F strapped to it.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

For some reason I'm hitting a hard barrier at 4.5GHz with my 2500k. It's rather interesting, I can run rock solid at 4.4GHz with 1.30v but 4.5GHz+ with any amount of vcore causes it to hang when trying to boot into Windows. It's just strange because it's not for a lack of voltage or too much heat...

I'm almost tempted to try a Linux live cd to see if that will boot.

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 24, 2011

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

SynVisions posted:

For some reason I'm hitting a hard barrier at 4.5GHz with my 2500k. It's rather interesting, I can run rock solid at 4.4GHz with 1.30v but 4.5GHz+ with any amount of vcore causes it to hang when trying to boot into Windows. It's just strange because it's not for a lack of voltage or too much heat...

I'm almost tempted to try a Linux live cd to see if that will boot.

It seems that there is a barrier that some chips just can't cross. At least 4.4ghz is respectable.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
You might be just unlucky.

quote:

Results are representative of 100 D2 CPUs that were binned and tested for stability under load; these results will most likely represent retail CPUs.

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

A Asus rep posted those results on the [H]ard forum.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

LiftAuff posted:

You might be just unlucky.

A Asus rep posted those results on the [H]ard forum.

Saw some settings in the thread that I hadn't tweaked, wasted about 30 minutes with those and ended up where I started :)

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

So what happens with this built in graphics stuff on the 2500k if I have a mother board with no integrated graphics card? (well, at least I can't see any monitor output on it...) Will it work through the GPU card I'm getting, or does it just not matter anymore because it'll be eclipsed by the 460 card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

My PIN is 4826 posted:

So what happens with this built in graphics stuff on the 2500k if I have a mother board with no integrated graphics card? (well, at least I can't see any monitor output on it...) Will it work through the GPU card I'm getting, or does it just not matter anymore because it'll be eclipsed by the 460 card?

It just power gates itself off and does nothing. Only way to utilize it is with a H67 or Z61 (not released yet) based motherboard. The Z68 gives you the best of the P67 and H67. Guess it wasn't quite ready for a primetime Q1 release.

e: fixed, meant Z68 instead of Z61

movax fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 26, 2011