Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kin posted:

:suicide:

Death. Of. Comedy.

It gets worse. Miranda just won Best New Comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

A5H posted:

Naw. That manly thing shoe does with the thumb up/weird face is too much of a turn off.
Also that Irish lad on the date was proper hilarious.
I love this stupid show.

I would take her out, I think she's sweet.

Kin posted:

:suicide:

Death. Of. Comedy.

edit: I guess it really pays off if you turn up as an act with a gimmicky form of presentation regurgitating the same generalist jokes that everyone's heard before.

edit2: Would i lie to you is better than Have I got News For You? :suicide: x2

To be fair, WILTY (hah, wilty) is quite amusing.

On another note, best new British comedy: Miranda :suicide: x5

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Ding ding. Finally a decent winner. :dance:

edit: Fuckity bye

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Kin posted:

Ding ding. Finally a decent winner. :dance:

About loving time.

luvd_
Nov 4, 2006

by T. Finn

Rarity posted:

It gets worse. Miranda just won Best New Comedy.

Hahaha loving hell.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh joy, Jo Brand is Best Female Comic. I could have sworn Britain was funnier than this.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
For the best female comedien award they were having to scrape the barrel a bit weren't they?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Sarah Millican is.. ok I guess?

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 22, 2011

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

DaWolfey posted:

Miranda wins against The Trip and Grandmas House.

On the plus side, award for Peter Capaldi. And Inbetweeners got best comedy rather than Miranda too.
Also Grandma's House is poo poo because Simon Amstell can't act.

And I think part of the problem with 10 o'clock live is that so many shows nowadays are pretty satirical. Every stand up comedian does jokes about satire, even Graham Norton, Alan Carr and Paul O'Grady are going on stage and saying "Aren't the Tories cunts?".
We don't need a Daily Show, because everything on TV makes fun of politics.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
loving YES

NEWSWIPE WINS BEST COMEDY ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAMME

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010
Well that was a pleasant surprise.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Newswipe just won Best Comedy Entertainment show! Hell yeah! :pervert:

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Barry shitpeas in the back there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

DaWolfey posted:

loving YES

NEWSWIPE WINS BEST COMEDY ENTERTAINMENT PROGRAMME

Some glimpses of hope for British television at least.

Seriously on Miranda Show winning have the Judges ever watched any good British comedy made from the sixties until now?

Do they watch Television at all? Did they have to pick something or lose a relative to Assassination? we'll never know :(.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wow, Samantha Spiro looks gorgeous.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Rarity posted:

I have literally no idea who she is.

Cokeysmoke
Nov 6, 2010

Rarity posted:

Well she's looking better than she did in Grandma's House.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Oh joy, Jo Brand is Best Female Comic. I could have sworn Britain was funnier than this.

How? She has two punchlines: "I am fat" and "I hate men". Occasionally there's the crossover of "Men hate me because I'm fat".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jo Brand really pisses me off. She just never changes her act.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

N3RDSTER posted:

How? She has two punchlines: "I am fat" and "I hate men". Occasionally there's the crossover of "Men hate me because I'm fat".

In case you couldn't tell from my post: I don't like her either :ssh:

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010
Oh yeah, I should've really deleted the bit about Britain being funnier. I just meant "how did she win the award?"

Good news for Newswipe fans though, the awards show retains some credibility.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Right, I've stopped giving a poo poo about comedy. It's Iwan Rheon!!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Get that loving oval office Russell Brand off my TV right now.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Get that loving oval office Russell Brand off my TV right now.

Except for what he just said about Brooker.

Because it's true.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

DaWolfey posted:

Because it's true.

I didn't hear anything much of what he said, because my remote control has a 'mute' button.

What did he say? Because I'm perfectly willing to believe that something sensible did at some point come out of his mouth.

e: Miranda Hart wins the people's choice award. Britain, what is wrong with you?

This is when you realise that the comedy tastes of the country are actually very different from what we might believe they are living inside our bubble. It's like collecting vinyl.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 23, 2011

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

DaWolfey posted:

Because it's true.

What did he say (im watching motd)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
"What happened to you, with you celebrity Blue Peter wife and wavey hair. Come back Charlie" or words to that effect.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Did we all miss some kind of secret comedy show or something where Miranda proved that she was the funniest person in the UK?

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 23, 2011

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
He said Charlie should go back to being an outsider reviewing tv/news and games on his couch with his clock on the wall and not a celebrity with new hair and a blue peter wife.

(He said it jokingly of course, but it's still true).

The people have spoken and they want Miranda Hart.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

"What happened to you, with you celebrity Blue Peter wife and wavey hair. Come back Charlie" or words to that effect.

Actually, that almost sums up my sentiments too (drat him). The real Charlie Brooker is an unmarried, lonely misanthrope like me, not happily married to an attractive Blue Peter presenter.

e: And now that creepy dancing baby commercial is on. Hell, I'm so depressed, I'm going to bed. Actually, no I'm not, I'm going to eat this muffin instead.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 23, 2011

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

DaWolfey posted:

The people have spoken and they want Miranda Hart.

Her act's inoffensive comedy your mum would watch; like a cross between Bridget Jones and the Vicar of Dibley, it's perfect G.O.L.D. material.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Actually, that almost sums up my sentiments too (drat him). The real Charlie Brooker is an unmarried, lonely misanthrope like me, not happily married to an attractive Blue Peter presenter.

Can't blame him though, Huq is way out of his league. I said it at the time and I'll say it now: the lad's done good.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Comedy is still such a male-oriented landscape that when a show like Miranda turns up that women like more than men, people respond strangely. It's really not that bad. It might not be a goon favourite but it earned and grew it's audeince.

If the British Comedy Awards proved anything it's that 2010 was a very very very thin year for TV comedy.

I'm suprised they didn't create a new category for Best Appearance at The Apollo or on A Roadshow or Best Panel Guest since that seems to be the way comedy is going at the moment.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Kin posted:

I'm aware of that, the problem is that the segment on her never really insinuated that link at all. It was just a generic "Palin is crazy, haw haw haw" segment.

Star Wars Episode 3 on STV just now. I forgot how loving terrible Anakin's switch to the Dark Side was. "ooh, i'm conflicted. Aww gently caress it, EVIL MODE" *murders some children*

I think you'll find that they're called Younglings so we don't have to have the line "He killed all the children" and "He murdered all the children."

John_Anon_Smith
Nov 26, 2007
:smug:

spincube posted:

Her act's inoffensive comedy your mum would watch; like a cross between Bridget Jones and the Vicar of Dibley, it's perfect G.O.L.D. material.

My friend loves it precisely because of this quality and i weep. she also likes the archers too soo...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: Alert for insomniacs: Channel 4 is currently showing Withnail & I. Watch it on their +1 channel right now if you've never seen it before. You'll thank me later. :siren:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

DaWolfey posted:

Jesus christ.

I loved Grandma's house. What is this cuntery?

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

DaWolfey posted:

Jesus christ.
Both The Trip and Grandma's House are much smarter and sophisticated comedy then Miranda (I assume from its primetime slot, never actually seen Miranda) but they both have massive, gaping flaws within them that stopped either of them being that memorable. Grandma's House's acting wasn't that great, The Trip was exceptionally poignant but never anchored onto any genius moments. And I'm sorry, crucify me if you will, but the impressions became *horrifically* overdone by the end, and they ended up being this massive yoke around its neck where half the episode was simply annoying.

I'm not even sure I would classify The Trip as "comedy", come to think of it.

The point is if Miranda got good viewing figures, and made three or four million people giggle once or twice on a saturday night, then I'll accept the argument that it is the most successful comedy in the category.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Hoops posted:

I'm not even sure I would classify The Trip as "comedy", come to think of it.

buh buh Alan Partridge and the guy from Gavin and stacey!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hoops posted:

Both The Trip and Grandma's House are much smarter and sophisticated comedy then Miranda

The point is if Miranda got good viewing figures, and made three or four million people giggle once or twice on a saturday night, then I'll accept the argument that it is the most successful comedy in the category.

*than, not then.

The idea isn't that it's successful though. Or at least it shouldn't be. Millions of people watched Everybody Loves Raymond and it doesn't change the fact that it's both lazy and awful. They should be basing their awards on things that are groundbreaking, or at least intelligent.