Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Category Fun! posted:

You'd probably like Hardcore mode. In hardcore your healing items restore health over time instead of instantly, you need food, water and sleep to survive, and ammunition has weight which limits how much and what types you can carry. Some people (babbys :smug:) don't like it but I thought the extra resources to manage made NV feel more hostile and challenging. I only played the first Stalker but I can definitely see the parallels. Plus, the food mechanic is much less obtrusive than the one in Stalker, since the bar doesn't move as fast and it's much less important than water.

I'm afraid I have to disagree here. I had my first runthrough on Hardcore but I never felt like I'm actually struggling to survive in the Wasteland. Thanks to the fast-travel system the solution to thirst or hunger is just one click away at all times.
It felt more like a chore than a challenge, food and drink were ubiquitous and at the end it was just a matter of topping off 3 health bars instead of one. All it did was taking up inventory space that could have been used for fun things, like more guns or explosives.

But don't let that discourage you, New Vegas is still an excellent game, be it with or without Hardcore mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verty3
May 24, 2007
I wanna play a cyberpunk game, outside of Dues Ex, and System Shock , where do i go? Shawdowrun on snes?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Verty3 posted:

Shawdowrun on snes?

Hell yes.

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
There's always the megadrive version of Shadowrun as well! It's a bit closer to pnp than the SNES one, but that's not to say it's better, both versions have their charms.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Verty3 posted:

I wanna play a cyberpunk game, outside of Dues Ex, and System Shock , where do i go? Shawdowrun on snes?

Uplink, Blade Runner, Syndicate, Tron 2.0, Oni.

The first three being pretty essential, the last two less so but still have their moments.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I have a different kind of question but in the vein of this thread: I have a bunch of games in my backlog and I'd like something to keep me entertained for awhile. Which of these should I tackle first?

Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Baldur's Gate 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Planescape Torment
Zone of The Enders 2 The 2nd Runner
STALKER: Shadow of Chernoboyl

One thing to note about the two infinity engine games is that I've never played anything like them before and I tried BG2 for a few minutes, liked the execution but kind of got lost in all the AD&D stuff and had no idea what skills to pick out. STALKER was really cool and I liked the atmosphere but I kinda got lost early on, tried following a guide and a lot of missions weren't showing up for me.

I've finished all of those except Zone of the Enders 2.

Sounds like you might prefer the Persona games out of that list. They're much more linear compared to STALKER and much less RPG than BG2, but they're the cream of the crop as far as jrpg-ish story and character go. P3 for story, P4 for characters.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I have a different kind of question but in the vein of this thread: I have a bunch of games in my backlog and I'd like something to keep me entertained for awhile. Which of these should I tackle first?

Persona 3: FES
Persona 4
Baldur's Gate 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Planescape Torment
Zone of The Enders 2 The 2nd Runner
STALKER: Shadow of Chernoboyl

One thing to note about the two infinity engine games is that I've never played anything like them before and I tried BG2 for a few minutes, liked the execution but kind of got lost in all the AD&D stuff and had no idea what skills to pick out. STALKER was really cool and I liked the atmosphere but I kinda got lost early on, tried following a guide and a lot of missions weren't showing up for me.

BG2 is great once you have a basic understanding of the AD&D stuff, but Planescape: Torment will be FAR easier to sink your teeth into. For better or for worse, gameplay takes a backseat to the story in Planescape, so if you're not familiar with AD&D systems it will be far friendlier to you.

BG2 is a great game, mind, but it does plop you down in the middle of things, both when it comes to story and when it comes to the development of your character. Starting with BG2 you may have no idea how to properly use your skills, end up dying a lot to the harder encounters, get frustrated, and quit. That's what happened to me, and playing through BG1 using the Tutu mod helped me out with that. BG1 is nowhere near as good a game as its successor, but it does a far better job of acclimatizing the player to their new character, in part because, well, you start at level 1.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Category Fun! posted:

You'd probably like Hardcore mode. In hardcore your healing items restore health over time instead of instantly, you need food, water and sleep to survive, and ammunition has weight which limits how much and what types you can carry. Some people (babbys :smug:) don't like it but I thought the extra resources to manage made NV feel more hostile and challenging. I only played the first Stalker but I can definitely see the parallels. Plus, the food mechanic is much less obtrusive than the one in Stalker, since the bar doesn't move as fast and it's much less important than water.
I'm trying to play F:NV in hardcore, and while the food/water/sleep thing is just a slight chore, it's really annoying that your companions can die permanently. You accidentally stumble upon a pack of Cazadores or Deathclaws? Tough, your companions will be dead forever since since there's no way to make them run the gently caress away (that I could tell).

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Recently I've gotten bored of my usual FPS games and switching to other games only take me so far. I have the burning desire to play a real time or turn based strategy game like Civilization 5 or Supreme Commander but when I play them I get bored quickly since it's not fulfilling a particular need.

I'm looking for a game like Hearts of Iron III, but far less complex. I love the fact you're controlling a nation, researching, building units, deploying them to fight and capturing territories.

Essentially, I'm looking for a game that has these features, or close:
  • Preferably Turn Based, but not a deal breaker
  • Set territories which are conquerable (not expanding eg. Civ games)
  • Huge time line (I'd hate for the game to end after a certain time)
  • Researching and Building units and buildings
  • Not hideously complex (HoI series)
  • Nothing ancient (Rome/Shogun)
  • Large playable map (I don't need a billion little territories to capture ala HoI series)
  • Diplomatic avenues, also not a deal breaker.
  • Customizable scenarios

The more I add to the list, the more finicky I seem. I don't know... it would be lovely if a game that meets all of those particular points exists and I just haven't found it. Here's to hoping you can help me out here.

This is a list of games that I've already played just so you can help me narrow down what I'm looking for.

• Medieval, Rome and Shogun Total War (Haven't played Empire or anything released after)
  • Civilization IV and V
  • Hearts of Iron II & Expansions (III just looks terrifyingly complex)
  • Company of Heroes & Expansions
  • Close Combat 2,3,4 & 5
  • Dawn of War II (Didn't like, at all)
  • Spore (I enjoyed the space era, somewhat)

Thoughts?

edit; Sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking for it on PC.

Ruse fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 23, 2011

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Hm, you could take a look into some mods for the Total war games. Theres several ones out there thats really good and feature new eras and lots of new units etc.

Noteworthy examples are Napoleonic total war for M:TW 1, Stainless Steel for M:TW2 and Chivalry for Rome: Total war.

Oh and you might wanna check out R.U.S.E aswell. (This suggestion was in no way intended as a pun)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ruse posted:

Recently I've gotten bored of my usual FPS games and switching to other games only take me so far. I have the burning desire to play a real time or turn based strategy game like Civilization 5 or Supreme Commander but when I play them I get bored quickly since it's not fulfilling a particular need.

I'm looking for a game like Hearts of Iron III, but far less complex. I love the fact you're controlling a nation, researching, building units, deploying them to fight and capturing territories.

Essentially, I'm looking for a game that has these features, or close:
  • Preferably Turn Based, but not a deal breaker
  • Set territories which are conquerable (not expanding eg. Civ games)
  • Huge time line (I'd hate for the game to end after a certain time)
  • Researching and Building units and buildings
  • Not hideously complex (HoI series)
  • Nothing ancient (Rome/Shogun)
  • Large playable map (I don't need a billion little territories to capture ala HoI series)
  • Diplomatic avenues, also not a deal breaker.
  • Customizable scenarios

The more I add to the list, the more finicky I seem. I don't know... it would be lovely if a game that meets all of those particular points exists and I just haven't found it. Here's to hoping you can help me out here.

This is a list of games that I've already played just so you can help me narrow down what I'm looking for.

• Medieval, Rome and Shogun Total War (Haven't played Empire or anything released after)
  • Civilization IV and V
  • Hearts of Iron II & Expansions (III just looks terrifyingly complex)
  • Company of Heroes & Expansions
  • Close Combat 2,3,4 & 5
  • Dawn of War II (Didn't like, at all)
  • Spore (I enjoyed the space era, somewhat)

Thoughts?

edit; Sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking for it on PC.

Sword of the Stars. It's a 4X game with lots of different races and RTS combat encounters. Did I mention it is in space?

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Actually each game is the same at the core and more or less the same in execution as well. Well, they get better graphics and more races, but otherwise the game rules are more or less exactly the same. Keeping this in mind, Shadow Magic is the best game of the three, and if you only play one you should play that. Unless you're really into single player campaigns, which I'm not terribly fond of the AoW ones, then you could play them all I guess, but from a skirmish point of view, which is the meat of the game for me, Shadow Magic is by far the best and the only one you need to play.

Sorry for the late response, but thanks for the advice.
I just bought SM over GOG and it owns as hard as I imagined it.

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

Sword of the Stars. It's a 4X game with lots of different races and RTS combat encounters. Did I mention it is in space?

I'd love it if someone could recommend a space 4X without real time combat. I'm much more interested in the diplomatic, economic, and exploration aspects of the game.

[EDIT] Also figured I'd mention I've played Alpha Centauri to death and loved it.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
edit; ^^^ This as well, would interest me.

Awesome suggestions guys, I will be checking out Sword of the Stars for sure. I looked deeper into the mod community for the TW series. I guess my thing is that the older eras bore me to death. I lean more toward the more modern side of things, missiles, jets, etc... I can play the more ancient side of things, if it eventually leads me somewhere into the future (like in Civ).

Also, just so I have this right; Sword of the Stars is kind of like Homeworld, but with a sort of territorial campaign like the Total War games?

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

SteveMcQueen posted:

I'd love it if someone could recommend a space 4X without real time combat. I'm much more interested in the diplomatic, economic, and exploration aspects of the game.

[EDIT] Also figured I'd mention I've played Alpha Centauri to death and loved it.

Have you tried Galactic Civilizations 2?

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

vetinari100 posted:

Have you tried Galactic Civilizations 2?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. I played the vanilla version back close to when it came out but wasn't totally hooked. Are the expansions big improvements? Maybe I'll give it a shot again.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, I don't expect a lot of responses to this, but. What are some good current Mac-compatible games? For this computer I have Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Starcraft 2, both wonderful (and of course, I once had World of Warcraft, but I burned out on that). What else is there?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Verty3 posted:

Weird suggestion, but there's an old Microprose game called BloodNet. It tries to go somewhere between Neuromancer and Vampire: The Masquerade and is worth a look, though it's probably a bit clunky these days. I remember enjoying it a lot when it came out though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Ruse posted:

edit; ^^^ This as well, would interest me.

Awesome suggestions guys, I will be checking out Sword of the Stars for sure. I looked deeper into the mod community for the TW series. I guess my thing is that the older eras bore me to death. I lean more toward the more modern side of things, missiles, jets, etc... I can play the more ancient side of things, if it eventually leads me somewhere into the future (like in Civ).

Also, just so I have this right; Sword of the Stars is kind of like Homeworld, but with a sort of territorial campaign like the Total War games?

Pretty much, you can just not take part in the combat and auto resolve it, in fact i think there's a bug with it where it applies way too much power to a specific weapon type in calculations but I can't remember if it got patched or what weapon it was.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Speedball posted:

Okay, I don't expect a lot of responses to this, but. What are some good current Mac-compatible games? For this computer I have Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Starcraft 2, both wonderful (and of course, I once had World of Warcraft, but I burned out on that). What else is there?

STEAM >>> STORE >>> MAC >>> BESTSELLERS gives me:

Civilization 5, Europa Universalis 3, Assassins Creed 2, The Orange Box, Back to the Future: The Game, Killing Floor

From the other list what caught my eye: Penumbra series which you should enjoy as it's from the creators of Amnesia, also Sam&Max series, Tales of Monkey Island, Torchlight, Hearts of Iron 3, Braid, Machinarium, Left 4 Dead 2, City of Heroes, EVE, Trine, Popcap titles and last but not least Secret of the Magic Crystals...

...enjoy!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
So I have a craving for some oldschool CRPGs,and picked three I want to play. I'm comfortable modding the hell out of them, but the closest to their style of gameplay I've ever played is a little bit of Dragon's Age.

So, which should I play first?

1: Balder's Gate 2: Complete

2: Planescape: Torment

3: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

I'm interested primarily in good writing and solid mechanics. Planescape and Arcanum in particular have a reputation as being way ahead of their time, writing wise, while Balders Gate sounds like a really dense and refined D&D game.

Also, how do the multiplayer options work?

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Tough choices.

1. BG2: More action oriented than the other two. You will spend most of your time hunting horrible things down and dying. The game still has some very competent writing, just more action oriented. Probably the easiest one to get into if you've never played these types of games and are looking to transition from modern RPGs to oldschool. It works best with modern PCs, has the prettiest graphics, and supports a good deal of resolutions that are not 800x600 and 1024x786.

2. Planescape: The writing in this game is unmatched. It's like playing an amazing book. That said, it places less emphasis on combat- you will spend most of your time exploring a mind-boggling world and parlaying with its inhabitants. If you're the type of person who can really get engaged in a good storyline and doesn't mind the low-combat content, start with this. I don't think you will ever find a game that will pull you into the story and setting as well as Planescape: Torment.

3. Arcanum: has a unique setting. Combat is a bit more tactical (it's similar to the Fallout combat). Probably a mix of BG2 and Planescape as far as combat/story goes. Buggiest of the three as far as I remember.

Play all three if you can but if you had to choose which one to start from, I suggest BG2. As for multiplayer, I don't really know if many people even play these games online. Doubtful. If you got a buddy or two that will play with you, then you definitely want to start with BG2 first.

Lord Master fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 24, 2011

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Overall I agree with what Lord Master wrote but I would recommend playing Planescape Torment first as it's I think the most casual and not so demanding game when it comes to planning your hero, your stats and so on. You can really gently caress up your party in BG2 if you play things bad and even more in Arcanum. Planescape gives you less choices and it could be a better transition between Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate 2.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Good point Palpek. BG2 necessitates some knowledge of the D&D3 rulesets in order not to gimp the poo poo out of everything.
Wouldn't hurt to read this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/8566
It seems a bit long but a lot of it is level charts which take up quite a bit of scroll space.

Lord Master fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 24, 2011

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

I've played a lot of GalCiv II, but I'm thinking of getting Sins of a Solar Empire. Can anyone who's played both tell me how much crossover there is and whether there's enough different about Sins to bother?

The thing I like most about GalCiv II is generating huge (well, 'immense') worlds, and the exploration and discovery of new awesome planet systems. Does Sins actually have a fully randomised galaxy generator or is it entirely based around scenarios?

edit: found the answer to that last part.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 24, 2011

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Palpek posted:

Overall I agree with what Lord Master wrote but I would recommend playing Planescape Torment first as it's I think the most casual and not so demanding game when it comes to planning your hero, your stats and so on. You can really gently caress up your party in BG2 if you play things bad and even more in Arcanum. Planescape gives you less choices and it could be a better transition between Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate 2.

Rad, that's pretty sound logic.

I'd only play multiplayer with one specific friend, but it sounds like BG2 is the game for that. I'll learn the system with Planescape.

Thanks for the nice writeups, Lord Master.

Any must-have mods for Planescape? So far I've sen the following:
-screen resolution,
-a high-def texture,
-high-quality music,
-high-quality townmap,
-unofficial bugs/lost content pack.

Missing anything?

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Did a search, but couldn't find anything more than Lara Croft and a bunch of FPS on this question...

My Mrs and I are both going to be commuting for work for the next couple of months, which really kills our together time down to about half a day on Sunday, however we both have laptops and decent internet connections - simple plan is to find a game we can play together while on Skype to hang out on occasion.
She's not much of a gamer, but will pick up something on xbox with me and likes rockband / singstar etc - she's not into directly competitive games but has played the likes of Civ and Sims in the past.
I play more or less anything with progression of some sort, or a cool gameplay mechanic like Portal. I'm currently playing Magicka, League of Legends and occasionally fall back on WoW - I don't think she'd like any of these for various reasons (Twitch, Highly competitive, loving nerds respectively)

What I'm looking for ideally is a game that fulfills some or all of the following criteria:
  • Online Co-op
  • Not highly twitch based (ie FPS, super-action games)
  • Easily available from something like Steam
  • Ideally will run under WINE (I could dual boot, but it's a pain)
  • If we could hook up something like Lego Indy on PC over the intarwebs that would be ideal.
Forums upgrade for whomever gives me a winning suggestion.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Mausi posted:

Did a search, but couldn't find anything more than Lara Croft and a bunch of FPS on this question...

My Mrs and I are both going to be commuting for work for the next couple of months, which really kills our together time down to about half a day on Sunday, however we both have laptops and decent internet connections - simple plan is to find a game we can play together while on Skype to hang out on occasion.
She's not much of a gamer, but will pick up something on xbox with me and likes rockband / singstar etc - she's not into directly competitive games but has played the likes of Civ and Sims in the past.
I play more or less anything with progression of some sort, or a cool gameplay mechanic like Portal. I'm currently playing Magicka, League of Legends and occasionally fall back on WoW - I don't think she'd like any of these for various reasons (Twitch, Highly competitive, loving nerds respectively)

What I'm looking for ideally is a game that fulfills some or all of the following criteria:
  • Online Co-op
  • Not highly twitch based (ie FPS, super-action games)
  • Easily available from something like Steam
  • Ideally will run under WINE (I could dual boot, but it's a pain)
  • If we could hook up something like Lego Indy on PC over the intarwebs that would be ideal.
Forums upgrade for whomever gives me a winning suggestion.

Well if she likes Civ there's always Civ 4 and 5. If you're in to Real Time Strategy/Tactics game the entire Dawn of War 2 campaign (+exp) is playable in co-op where you each get control of the 4 squads deployed on the mission (I think you have about 6 squads total, they all level up and you can equip them with different armour and weapons etc.). On that note the original dawn of war games are pretty fun in skirmish.

Also not co-op but have you considered playing the same game at the same time? Me and a friend recently played through Tomb Raider underworld at the same time talking over skype and helping each other with puzzles.

If you like Diablo there's always the two originals and Titan Quest is a very good clone set in ancient Greece to start with and going to a few different ancient civilizations, it also has a pretty sweet class system in that the class is determined by what masteries you pick (essentially just skill sets).

If you like economy managing stuff there's Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe (which has the advantage of being free), if you don't mind paying Sid Meier's RAILROADS! is a bit simpler but only has the train aspect.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Should I play Empire: Total War or Napoleon: Total War first? I got both during the steam sale, and I've heard mixed reviews of both.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Recommend me an action game that lets me recruit npc's and send them on missions while I do action stuff, and maybe get them to help me with action stuff. If there's more than Peace Walker and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, I'd like to know.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I'd like a really witty game. I'd love it to be an actually good game but just a game with some great humorous writing.

On an unrelated note, I also just finished 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and I really like how the game connected with the characters so I'd like a game with some moral choices or threat to characters that actually make you care about what will happen. Not like Elder Scrolls where you can say something rude and hilarious just because you can. But more as in if you don't make the right choice there could be serious consequences. :shobon:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Spintzel posted:

I'd like a really witty game. I'd love it to be an actually good game but just a game with some great humorous writing.

On an unrelated note, I also just finished 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors and I really like how the game connected with the characters so I'd like a game with some moral choices or threat to characters that actually make you care about what will happen. Not like Elder Scrolls where you can say something rude and hilarious just because you can. But more as in if you don't make the right choice there could be serious consequences. :shobon:

Bad Day: LA is already rather old, but I remember it being pretty funny back then. Also of course all the old Lucas-Arts adventures, such as Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle or Simon the Sorceror. Most of them should be on GoG.

And if you're looking for a game where choices matter then you definitely want to take a look at The Witcher and Alpha Protocol. Just look into the thread for the latter, people are still finding completely new ways the story can be resolved.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 26, 2011

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Perestroika posted:

And if you're looking for a game where choices matter then you definitely want to take a look at The Witcher and Alpha Protocol. Just look into the thread for the latter, people are still finding completely new ways the story can be resolved.

This. Really really this. Your choices actually change the entire flow of the story, and the game really encourages you to take whichever path you like.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Bad Day: LA is already rather old, but I remember it being pretty funny back then. Also of course all the old Lucas-Arts adventures, such as Monkey Island, Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle or Simon the Sorceror. Most of them should be on GoG.

You are not honestly recommending Bad Day LA to anyone, are you? that game was critically panned by everyone and widely considered by actual gamers as loving terrible in every possible way, and not even ironically funny. Don't play Bad Day LA.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

Recommend me an action game that lets me recruit npc's and send them on missions while I do action stuff, and maybe get them to help me with action stuff. If there's more than Peace Walker and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, I'd like to know.

Godfather 2 fits your description but I'm not sure I can recommend it unless you really like GTA-'em-ups, and you can tolerate a engine that is several years past its best (looks and feels a bit ancient, doesn't play as slick as GTA). But the entire game is based around recruiting your team of dudes from locations around a city (they are randomly generated), sending them off to do things via a nice 'mob boss' overlay (one of the things the game does pretty nicely), or just bringing them along wherever you're going. The idea is to take over businesses and make lots of money. There's a mafioso plot going on as well but it's pretty ridiculous.

I'd consider it a rental unless you've got a particular liking for those type of games, because although it has some things it does nicely, and there's nothing glaringly bad about it, overall it feels a bit bargain basement compared to GTA or Saints Row 2.

I'm not sure there's too many games that use the same mechanic (I'd like to hear if anyone knows of any). I haven't played The Saboteur, I have a feeling that it might be similar.

Spintzel posted:

Whenever anyone asks for a witty game I have to recommend Giants: Citizen Kabuto straight off the bat. Also, like Perestroika said, LucasArts adventures if you've not tried them. The remastered Monkey Islands being an obvious choice. I think Grim Fandango is probably the most smart and witty of them all.

Simon 1 & 2 are both pretty funny, but the first one has a Chris Barrie talkie track which makes it more awesome.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 26, 2011

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You are not honestly recommending Bad Day LA to anyone, are you? that game was critically panned by everyone and widely considered by actual gamers as loving terrible in every possible way, and not even ironically funny. Don't play Bad Day LA.

Well, it's already 5 years back, so I'm probably conflating it with another game from around the same time. I'll withdraw that recommendation then.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Speedball posted:

Depending on how you feel about DotA type games Heroes of Newerth has a solid Mac client.

Silentman0 posted:

Freedom Fighters (for PS2/Xbox/Cube/PC) that's basically Red Dawn: The Game, running in the Hitman 2 engine. You basically rear end kick around fighting the Russian invasion of New York and by doing cool stuff you recruit new guys to your squad who help you fight the commies. I haven't played it in a while but I think it should hold up pretty well, obviously won't look good on a super HiDef TV but the PC version or console on standard should be fine (it was a very good looking game for its time).

Brutal Legend was also in this vein, though its more of a action/rts hybrid. Just don't let anyone con you into playing Kingdom Under Fire.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Freedom Fighters (for PS2/Xbox/Cube/PC) that's basically Red Dawn: The Game, running in the Hitman 2 engine. You basically rear end kick around fighting the Russian invasion of New York and by doing cool stuff you recruit new guys to your squad who help you fight the commies. I haven't played it in a while but I think it should hold up pretty well, obviously won't look good on a super HiDef TV but the PC version or console on standard should be fine (it was a very good looking game for its time).

Just throwing my hat in for Freedom Fighters, it's one of my favourite games of all time and I think the most underrated game of the last generation. The squad AI is really, really good, the storyline is awesome, and you feel like such a badass kicking Ruskie rear end back to Moscow. Also, the graphics are surprisingly well-done, and a lot of the levels are modeled on actual New York locations.

Also, an answer to my total war question would be sweet. I've heard people say that Napoleon is broken, or that Empire is broken, and I don't want to invest a bunch of time in one of the other is obviously superior. Anyone?

e:

Perestroika posted:

Well, it's already 5 years back, so I'm probably conflating it with another game from around the same time. I'll withdraw that recommendation then.

PC Gamer posted:

This game is so tasteless that I wanted to scrub myself with Lysol after getting up from the computer

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 26, 2011

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Verty3 posted:

I'm quoting this since I'm about to ask for pretty much the same thing. Already played Deus Ex, the System Shock games, Uplink, and Oni.

But I'm not just searching for a game with a cyberpunk-theme: I just finished the Sprawl-trilogy, and I'd really like to play a game based on the description of cyberspace in those books. Ideally, it would play like some sort of flightsimulator, only set in cyberspace with impossible physics. I just want to cruise trough a computernetword, shooting at security measures to do some hacker-like poo poo.

I heard Rez is kinda like this, so maybe I have to download that one from XBLA, and I vaguely remember the first System Shock having cyberspace sequences that looked a lot like the ones from Neuromancer, but are there any more games that fit my strangely specific request?

EDIT:

Silentman0 posted:

You already played Peace Walker, so I think you already know this, but Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is pretty much build from the ground up around this idea.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I'm quoting this since I'm about to ask for pretty much the same thing. Already played Deus Ex, the System Shock games, Uplink, and Oni.

But I'm not just searching for a game with a cyberpunk-theme: I just finished the Sprawl-trilogy, and I'd really like to play a game based on the description of cyberspace in those books. Ideally, it would play like some sort of flightsimulator, only set in cyberspace with impossible physics. I just want to cruise trough a computernetword, shooting at security measures to do some hacker-like poo poo.

I heard Rez is kinda like this, so maybe I have to download that one from XBLA, and I vaguely remember the first System Shock having cyberspace sequences that looked a lot like the ones from Neuromancer, but are there any more games that fit my strangely specific request?

EDIT:

You already played Peace Walker, so I think you already know this, but Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops is pretty much build from the ground up around this idea.

How do you feel about adventure games?
Because Snatcher and Omikron: Nomad Soul come to mind when I think of Cyberpunk games. Although Omikron is pretty dated these days.