Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I guess no more stores for a bit from me. Fired from GameStop for working off the clock :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008

minusX posted:

I guess no more stores for a bit from me. Fired from GameStop for working off the clock :toot:

Wait, how does that even work? What defines "working off the clock?" I would think that stores would want their employees to be helpful even if they weren't clocked in, but I might be making assumptions about the big scary world outside of food service.

Speaking of which, what the gently caress is it with people coming up to the register, starting to order, and then wandering off? I never know what to do in those situations- is it rude to be like "Ma'am/sir, are you finished ordering?" or should I just be merciless and suspend the transaction? I have no idea.

down beat
Jul 11, 2002
Places are usually strict about not working off the clock so they can't get sued and accused of forcing an employee to work and not get paid.

gently caress lawyers.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Wait, how does that even work? What defines "working off the clock?" I would think that stores would want their employees to be helpful even if they weren't clocked in, but I might be making assumptions about the big scary world outside of food service.
Where I work, we had to watch an hour long video at orientation about how answering a work-related question over the phone, while at home (like if you stayed home sick), is a fire-able offense. Because it's working off the clock. Boggles the mind.

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Speaking of which, what the gently caress is it with people coming up to the register, starting to order, and then wandering off? I never know what to do in those situations- is it rude to be like "Ma'am/sir, are you finished ordering?" or should I just be merciless and suspend the transaction? I have no idea.
I usually give them a moment or two, then just suspend the order. gently caress 'em. If they aren't ready to order/finish ordering, move on to someone who is.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Wow, never heard of anyone ever fired for working off the clock. That's bizarre. And really lovely :( I hope you find a new job soon.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
I'm about to go nuts working retail, and I can't find a single loving job in the Raleigh, NC area that isn't retail!

I got a Bachelor's in History Education 2008, but I hated teaching and ended up in low-end retail management. I've bounced from RadioShack to Sprint to Rite-Aid, and now I'm a Shift Supervisor at CVS. CVS wouldn't be a bad job if I got paid more. I'm making $9.25 working 6 day work weeks, and for the amount of work I have to put in to make my piddly $9.25, I'm about to tear my hair out- especially since I have a loving degree, I'm above this poo poo. I take crap from customers because of CVS' stupid policies and signing systems, I carry heavy poo poo up and down stairs, I take out trash, clean bathrooms, work every holiday and during every winter weather event that comes through the area, don't actually take breaks but have to clock out anyway... I just got written up by the slimeball district manager for not writing someone up for an incident that happened in late November when, as far as I knew, I didn't have that kind of power! I'm sick of it. If I was making, like, $12, I could tough it out. But the pay rate stands, and they capped raises at 2% a year. That's bullshit. I've hit every job hunting site I can think of, and nada. I've contacted every friend I know with a "real" job and nothing ever pans out. I'm not even making ends meet anymore. Help?

TShields fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 21, 2011

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Feeling like you're "above" certain jobs will not help you out in your job search.

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
Wow, the maximum raise is less than inflation? So you're guaranteed to be paid less every year, effectively? Nice.

And I agree, I am in a similar position but don't tell yourself you are above anything. Until you work in another job you aren't above retail, you are working retail. I thought the same and it never got me anywhere.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

TShields posted:

I have a loving degree, I'm above this poo poo.

Not really considering you have a worthless degree in education and you hate educating people, hth

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

roboshit posted:

Not really considering you have a worthless degree in education and you hate educating people, hth

:iceburn:

TShields: That attitude isn't going to get you anywhere. If you're not careful your attitude will shine through and everybody will hate you for being "The guy who thinks he is better than us."

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 21, 2011

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

I'm above this poo poo.

I'm in management and I still have to do bitch work sometimes. I'm not above helping clean up shared spaces, nor unloading heavy-rear end pallets at our shipping bay.

You'd best change your attitude, or you WILL be stuck doing nothing but bitch work. There's nothing worse in the working world than someone with an entitlement complex running anything.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Well hang on a minute, I didn't mean it like that. I'm not a "hey employee, go clean up that poo poo smeared on the wall in the bathroom" kind of manager. I'm the "dammit, now I have to go clean up that poo poo smeared on the wall in the bathroom so someone else doesn't have to" kind of manager. I firmly believe that a manager should NEVER ask their employees to do anything they're not willing to do themselves. And because of that, I end up taking all the worst jobs.. and then all the worst jobs end up being handed to me because they see me doing them anyway, so I guess everyone assumes I enjoy it. I don't have to go out at 9 p.m. when it's 19 degrees outside and take out the trash from the outside trash can where the bags they send us are too small and end up tearing and letting trash fall out. I could delegate that to someone else, easily! I really didn't want it to seem like I'm above retail management. I just feel like I'm above cleaning up someone's fecal matter from our restrooms. Is it wrong that I feel like I'm to the point in my life where I deserve a job where I don't have to make those kinds of decisions 6 days a week?

That's not what I get here at CVS. The DM will sit at home and tell everyone they have to drive to work at 6 a.m. and work normal hours on a half inch of pure ice on the roads because the NCDOT hasn't got their poo poo together, while he's going to take a day off in the middle of the week. gently caress that, if we're at work, you should be at work.

Didn't mean to come across as an entitled rear end in a top hat, but I thought this was the "reasons I no longer desire to work retail" thread. That's the reason I don't desire to work retail. What am I missing?

TShields fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 21, 2011

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nocheez posted:

There's nothing worse in the working world than someone with an entitlement complex.

:colbert:

Auto repair places must get the worst customers ever. I went to an STS to get my old car tuned up & inspected, and this Indian was losing his mind yelling at the manager.

He claimed that he had a lifetime warranty on his tires, had purchased them at that store, and was entitled to free replacements, and the owner had personally assured him free tires. His tires were also completely bald.

The manager (also the owner!) basically told him :fuckoff:. He had no receipt; no name/license/vin in the system going back 10 years; and nobody on earth warranties tires for wear and tear replacements. The manager/owner had never authorized anything like that in his entire life, and didn't recognize the guy anyway. The manager/owner then said he shouldn't let him drive off, because his bald tires were a public danger. The guy made vague threats about calling the corporate office and stormed out, presumably to try the scam at the next repair place. The 4 or 5 people he held up in line all said the same thing when he left: "what is that guy's problem?"

----

At my old fitness store job, this lady demanded a return. She had bought weighted gloves, and actually used them to box. the purpose of weighted gloves is just to wear when you exercise, for additional resistance. She was using them to hit a heavy bag. The gloves were destroyed and it was a month past the return policy. The manager still allowed her to return it, for cash.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 21, 2011

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

red19fire posted:

Auto repair places must get the worst customers ever.

It's OK; based on my experience they pretty much deserve it. I have often gotten terrible customer service from auto shops, not to mention how they are always trying to take advantage of customers' ignorance for how cars work to make more money. I know it's a stereotype, but I've also seen it too much to write it off as merely that. At least in retail when someone is trying to upsell you know whether you need the product or not--the same can't be said for most auto repair customers. In high school my auto shop teacher (who had himself worked in and managed auto shops) flatly told us that we should always try to rip off the customer. Well, he didn't put it that way, but an example is that you should charge a customer for a diagnostic even if you don't run it and just "know" what the problem is.

TShields, have you tried libraries in your area? A lot of former teachers (and other people with useless liberal arts degrees, including myself) in my area end up at the library. Libraries are great places to work, and usually for a paraprofessional position ("Library Associate," "Library Technician," etc.) you just need a bachelor's degree. (Paraprofessionals make up the bulk of the workforce; librarians, who have masters degrees, are mostly supervisors.) I would check the public library system of course but also university libraries in the area. Good luck.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

manguero posted:

It's OK; based on my experience they pretty much deserve it. I have often gotten terrible customer service from auto shops, not to mention how they are always trying to take advantage of customers' ignorance for how cars work to make more money. I know it's a stereotype, but I've also seen it too much to write it off as merely that. At least in retail when someone is trying to upsell you know whether you need the product or not--the same can't be said for most auto repair customers. In high school my auto shop teacher (who had himself worked in and managed auto shops) flatly told us that we should always try to rip off the customer. Well, he didn't put it that way, but an example is that you should charge a customer for a diagnostic even if you don't run it and just "know" what the problem is.
Oh absolutely, and that's the same the world over.

Whenever I go to my car repair place, I expect to be ripped off slightly.
I can try to limit it as much as possible due to having some car-knowledge but you can't really stop them from doing it entirely.

I did manage find a pretty decent mostly honest mom&pop car dealership who actually values repeat business, which helps more than being an informed customer. :)

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

manguero posted:

TShields, have you tried libraries in your area? A lot of former teachers (and other people with useless liberal arts degrees, including myself) in my area end up at the library. Libraries are great places to work, and usually for a paraprofessional position ("Library Associate," "Library Technician," etc.) you just need a bachelor's degree. (Paraprofessionals make up the bulk of the workforce; librarians, who have masters degrees, are mostly supervisors.) I would check the public library system of course but also university libraries in the area. Good luck.

That is a fantastic idea, I'll check that tonight! I've been looking at low end government jobs too. Working for "the man" isn't that bad in NC isn't that bad from what I've heard.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

TShields posted:

That is a fantastic idea, I'll check that tonight! I've been looking at low end government jobs too. Working for "the man" isn't that bad in NC isn't that bad from what I've heard.

I'd rather work for "the man," which is ultimately supposed to be at the service of the public, than work for fat cats to make them fatter. :chord:

Let us/me know how it goes!

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

TShields posted:

Just be aware that the University system (if you go that way) in NC is a little...ehhh. I worked as an editor and general writing grunt for the online course division of a UNC-system university, and while the work itself was fine, once budget cuts went through, I and many more of the support staff who made sure the higher ups could actually do their jobs were cut.

For content...

I worked register at a stupidly overpriced central NC-based cafe, and we always had the worst people coming in. If you opened, there was always someone pounding on the door at 6:30 either demanding to be let in to order stuff off the lunch menu, or asking when we opened- and the hours were printed, no exaggeration, directly in front of their eyes, on the glass.

We had one guy who was the most blatant racist possible. He would order a sandwich, and every time a black line cook made it, he would immediately hand it back and say it was wrong, demanding a new sandwich. The manager, being a "we open half an hour before open and close half an hour after close, to make THE CUSTOMER happy" spineless type, made sure a white person on staff (even if they weren't line cooks) remake the sandwich.

That manager? A black guy, who was always off trying to woo customers, and never backed his workers, even when he knew the customer was wrong, because "the customer is always right!"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

In my fantasy world where I am that black manager, all I do is take a bite of the sandwich and hand it back, saying it tastes fine to me. :iamafag:

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Me: *ringing someone's order up* Do you have a member card with [our store]?
Customer: No, but I have [competing store's completely different card], will that work?

When Linen's 'n Things went out of business, Bed, Bath, and Beyond continued taking their coupons for a few months after they went out of business as sort of a.... I don't really know. But we continued taking their coupons for probably 4 months after they went out of business.

About a year after they went out of business I had some lady come in and buy a ton of stuff. Then she hands me her LnT 20% off entire purchase coupon.

I told her we couldn't take those because they weren't a competitor anymore. "YEAH BUT YOU PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS SO YOU SHOULD STILL TAKE THEIR COUPONS BECAUSE IT'S UNFAIR THAT YOU FORCED THEM OUT OF BUSINESS."

I just replied with: "We actually took their coupons for almost half a year after they went out of business. They stopped accepting any and all coupons, including their own, in the last 2-3 months that they were open."

She just kind of accepted it at that point. But it's still funny that she thought we should accept coupons of a competitor that went out of business a year before.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Collias posted:

Places are usually strict about not working off the clock so they can't get sued and accused of forcing an employee to work and not get paid.

gently caress lawyers.

This. When I worked at Best Buy, they seriously set it up so you CANNOT check your Best Buy email at home, because they lost a shitload of money to some kid who sued them in California for "working off the clock while checking emails."

TShields posted:

Didn't mean to come across as an entitled rear end in a top hat, but I thought this was the "reasons I no longer desire to work retail" thread. That's the reason I don't desire to work retail. What am I missing?

I don't think you came off as an rear end in a top hat. Also, the economy sucks, but you can at the least find a better job than that. Hell at Sprint I make $12-17 an hour depending on the month. I think the key thing though is not limiting your search, you have a degree and you have management experience. Find out what big companies are in your area, and network like frickin crazy. Seriously, getting a new job is all networking. So if someone like Dell has abig campus in your city, meet a few people from there so that you get references when whatever management position pops up. So if you want to work libraries go and talk to librarians every week. Meet with different people, email supervisors, whatever. I always approach a job search as a loving war, and while it really is draining in the end its the best bet.

All companies want is someone with a degree (proven to think), experience working with people and a great work ethic. You won't qualify for everything, but you can definitely orient your job to prove that you have the proper attributes that they were looking for. Turn the "you have a history background, how does that qualify you" into "because my background has trained me to be a problem solving badass mother fucker. If you want this and this and this done, I'll do it better than anyone."

Anyway, end pep talk.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 22, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Christ on a loving cracker. Well, I started applying for government jobs. No libraries hiring in my county, by the way. I got up around 9:40, an two hours later, I've only finished one application. The other one I found has to be mailed in, so after I filled out the PDF, I found out that I'm nearly out of ink and it's printing in a dull gray color. That's no good. These things are brutal, and I feel like I'm going to be cutting and pasting chunks over and over so I saved one as a draft on their website. They want a resume, but they want you to fill out their application that asks all the same questions as what you'd put on a resume, like job responsibilities and previous employment. Why can't you just look at the loving resume you asked for? :argh:

Nothing is ever easy, is it? :sigh: Now I have to get ready for the job I don't want. :toot:

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
I meant to post this a while back, but I never actually did. I think our DM (who hates everyone) is trying to mix his attempts to look like he's helping the store out with his attempts to make everyone miserable.

This Christmas season I started working 5 or 6 days a week. My school schedule made it so I couldn't get to work in the evenings... but on Mon/Wed I was free open-1, and Tues/Thurs I was free open-3:30. They didn't give me any work on those days initially.. they have a set morning staff that never changes really. but then we had 2 people transferred, one worker quit for a full time job, a department manager quit because he hated the company and couldn't take it anymore, and another department manager step down to a full time position (38-40 hours a week is better than 70+ at a set pay!).

Anyway... At this point they started working me for my full availability for the mornings... they hired a few people and kept me in the mornings as someone to do backstop. So this meant I generally worked something like Mon-Thurs 8AM-1PM, Friday and Saturday 3-11. Or 2-11.... or a few times 1-11.

So while working backstocking one morning I got pissed off because we had a ton of flatware sets on one of the backstock carts. I asked the guy back there why they sent all those to us as backstock when they had several windows on the floor they went in (behind banners, so you didn't see them and the only people who knew they were there were workers).

The answer was simple: "DM didn't want them back there anymore and made us put them in the back." Joy. This was after we already had no space to put backstock. My co-worker refered to his and my jobs as "magic" since we had a room full of poo poo and we had to make more poo poo disappear into it. So we used to have 3 windows.... 4x4 foot areas to put backstock in on the floor. And we had to move them all to the back. Along with any new backstock for that as well.

The same thing happened with the OXO TOP and POP containers. We had 2 4x4 windows to put them on out on the floor... behind a banner. The DM also got pissed off about that and said we couldn't keep them behind that banner anymore either. So we had to put them in the back. The section that held similar stuff was already pretty much full. Yet we had to find a way to cram 2 full windows worth of stuff back there.

Then another day while I was on a ladder trying to rearrange a section so I could get 1 more box of stuff up in it, the DM was talking to the store manager. He was complaining that backstock was too much of a mess and we needed to clean it. He insisted that no matter how much we claimed we didn't have space to put things that he could think of hundreds of ways to clean the back and put things up and have plenty of space.

I'd loving like to see him try. Then again I really wouldn't. He offered to help last year when we were too hour starved to do anything. He basically threw thing wherever he could and made a big mess and took up more space than necessary with all the stuff he put away. Then we had to clean up after him and fix it. Also after this he went around the store with his shirt untucked because he "got too hot" working in the back. This is the same guy that said I'd be fired if he ever saw me with my shirt untucked again (after having seen me w/ it untucked 2 times in a year and a half). This is the same guy that said I had to have my shirt tucked in WHILE BACKSTOCKING in the back where no one would see me. Thanks a lot.

Also recently he required our store manager to make a map of all the side caps in the store. The map should be maintained and updated by the store manager only. And we aren't allowed to make any changes or put different products on an end cap until the manager updates it and tells us what to put there.

While this may sound like a useful idea... This also means that if we sell completely out of a product we have to leave the endcap empty until he comes up with a plan for it. If he's not in for 2 days he has to come in to do it. If he's on a weeklong vacation.. too bad!

Oh. We'll also get in trouble if we have an empty / almost empty endcap.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Smells like something died in our backroom

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I came close to ritually setting a few customers on fire and throwing them over the balcony today. Yes I would have been sacked and tried for murder but I think I would have been doing the world a favour.

We have a strict no deals policy. Ask me what deal I can do for you and the response will be the same brief lecture I and my colleagues always give. We have to provide all of our customers the same fair treatment, regardless of how large or small the figure they are spending. We give huge extended warranties at no extra cost to the customer, but in order to do this, we have to cover the costs ourselves. There are many, many solid reasons for why we don't cut the prices for customers. So please, please don't ask for a deal.

Its the weekend, almost every customer asks me for a deal. I give the speech, several times, they still don't get it. Some will give up and try approaching a colleague of mine and ask them for a deal. It will go on and on until they finally get the message. Or better yet,

Crazy Lady: "I just bought a dishwasher for £1000 downstairs! I PAID IN CASH!"

Mr Toad: "I hope you enjoy your purchase and am grateful for your custom, but I still cannot and will not alter the price of this camera."

(Why the gently caress do people think paying in cash is a good thing? It costs us much more to get the cash out off site than it does to pay our licenses to the various card companies. Pay by card or keep your mouth shut if you paid by cash, that hasn't been good since the eighties.)

Crazy Lady: "I WANT TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER!"

Mr Toad: "He'll tell you the same thing... only less graciously."

Crazy Lady: "I WANT TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER!"

Off we go to the manager for this response.

Manager: "The price on the ticket is the price you, and everyone else pays."

Good enough? Nope. They tried the complaint route, and explained I hadn't given satisfactory service as I and several other colleagues were unable to answer some of their questions about the camera. Said questions were;

"Which factory was this camera manufactured in? I want to know exactly where it is." (We really won't have that information available. We can give you the country but not the exact factory, I could probably find out for you but no... you want to know right now!)

"Which professional photographers use this camera?" (None lady, its a £49 Vivitar)

"How does it compare to this camera?" (Pointing to a Nikon D7000, would not accept, "It doesn't you really can't compare the two cameras" as an answer. Also wouldn't accept my offer to explain the reasons why, so I don't really know where I was supposed to take that question)

"When will this be discontinued and what will the new version have to make it different?" (We won't know until its announced by Vivitar, we can't predict the future)

If she turns out to be a mystery shopper and I'm called up on it, I loving quit.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Mr. Toad posted:

(Why the gently caress do people think paying in cash is a good thing? It costs us much more to get the cash out off site than it does to pay our licenses to the various card companies. Pay by card or keep your mouth shut if you paid by cash, that hasn't been good since the eighties.)

Sometimes the implication is that you, the employee, pocket the cash and then look the other way as they walk off with the merchandise. But I don't know why people think anyone would agree to that in this age of ubiquitous surveillance.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

The other reason I hate my job just walked through the door. There is this dumpy redneck ashtray-smelling motherfucker in his 60's who comes in with the nastiest, skankiest, most STD-ridden girls you can imagine. He apparently takes pictures of these girls in their underwear or less and then comes to my store to print the pictures. Hundreds at a time. And since it's technically not illegal to do what he does, I can't say poo poo. But I don't want him here! He is a paying customer though.. :sigh: And I'm not a prude or anything. I'm a red-blooded American male and I look at porn on a regular basis, but I find what this guy does appalling. I feel like he has taken advantage of these girls somehow, and I honestly can't figure out the purpose of the photos or how he compensates them.

Edit: oh, god, he forgot some of the pics. I'd post them, but I don't know how old this girl is :gonk:

TShields fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 23, 2011

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TShields posted:

The other reason I hate my job just walked through the door. There is this dumpy redneck ashtray-smelling motherfucker in his 60's who comes in with the nastiest, skankiest, most STD-ridden girls you can imagine. He apparently takes pictures of these girls in their underwear or less and then comes to my store to print the pictures. Hundreds at a time. And since it's technically not illegal to do what he does, I can't say poo poo. But I don't want him here! He is a paying customer though.. :sigh: And I'm not a prude or anything. I'm a red-blooded American male and I look at porn on a regular basis, but I find what this guy does appalling. I feel like he has taken advantage of these girls somehow, and I honestly can't figure out the purpose of the photos or how he compensates them.

When I was working at a Walgreens, the photo dude called me and a few colleges over during break and was showing us pictures this one women brought in the day before. The first few of are her kids and family... in middle there is a woman (not the one who dropped off the camera), full frontal, 'using' a bottle.

Dear consumers: We see those pictures, all of them. And we all gossip about it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people make copies of your photos. Keep it digital.

Anyways today I had a customer hound me down for not helping her but helping someone else. Generally my job we can tell customers we don't work and aren't obligated to help them out, however if the customer is a decent sort I'll happily go out of my way to find a product for them or the proper employees. If they are rude about it or just seem like a smug type, I don't.

:byodame:: YOU SAID YOU DON'T WORK HERE WHY DIDN'T YOU HELP ME FIND THIS PRODUCT?!

:geno:: Sorry ma'am I don't have to help a customer, but this young lady was kind and asked nicely so I showed her the right way. You were rude to me demanding I help you

:byodame:: THATS DISCRIMINATION! (note me and her are both caucasian)

:geno:: Um... right *turns to finish helping the other customer and walks away*

:byodame: *some sort of gibberish I ignored while I walked away*

When I was leaving for the night the cashier told me the lady was insulting the way I walked. Thats not fair my feet didn't heal right when I was a few months old after being broken and I take that very seriously. I buy myself new shoes often and tried using arch supports to make it not so obvious :smith:

EDIT: Typo

Leal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 23, 2011

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

TShields posted:

Edit: oh, god, he forgot some of the pics. I'd post them, but I don't know how old this girl is :gonk:

If you seriously think they're underage, you should call the cops.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

TShields posted:

If you do not know how old they are and have ANY doubt in your mind you need to a) call your manager and b) call the police. The police will take care of it for you.

\/\/\/\/ It doesn't matter. Any media of someone who is under the age of majority constitutes child pornography. This is why teenagers can get into trouble for having a nude pic of their also-teenage partner.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 23, 2011

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Oh, the manager is going to see them tomorrow, trust me. Normally, he uses the stand-alone photo printer where he gets the prints and we just get a receipt, we never actually see them. But when he and his little skank tonight couldn't get something to print, they left it for me to fix, so I put them in a folder and even have contact information for the girl, "just in case". I knew exactly how to print them, I just wanted them out of the store. And honestly, the girl in the picture has a tramp stamp, so I can assume 18, but still.. They're not visibly doing anything against their will in the pictures, I can assure you of that.

Edit: I'll let you know how it plays out. This guy is a creep and a half, and my boss is a retired NYPD homicide detective with 3 girls of his own. Dude is in his 60's but he's got some fire in him. If he senses any wrong doing, he won't hesitate, it's just a bit out of my league to make that kind of decision.

TShields fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 23, 2011

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
I'm a pharmacy tech at a major chain. We don't have specific pharmacy cashiers like some places do so we rotate from filling scripts to cashiering.

We have a rewards card that just came out and were informed yesterday that we have to scan it at over a 50 percent rate or we get our hours cut. This card doesn't get you points on any government insurance, so you're basically just fooling people if you ask to scan it then.

I've had people cuss at me and walk off because the law requires a social security number on controlled meds.

Getting yelled at because insurance doesn't pay for something or something is too expensive is a daily thing.

I've had people complain about a 20 minute in-store wait when we have a stack of scripts two feet tall and it's 3:00pm and we haven't eaten lunch. One customer was super sweet one day when I was practically doubled over from hunger and asked if he could buy me something to eat.

I've also heard rumors that they're starting a 15 minute wait or a 15 dollar gift card soon. I will probably leave at that point because that's just too much to ask from us.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Our store closing sale just started the other day, and the store has gone from a dead $500 in sales Tuesday to $5000 on Thursday. We had about 3k in the first three hours today. So yeah, ridiculously busy.

I've had to explain why the store is closing about a hundred times in the last few days, I am really sick of it.

:smith:: Oh nooo, you guys are closing? I can't believe it! Why?

:shobon:: Well, the landlord raised our rent, so we are merging with our store that's less than a mile away..

:smith::But that's so inconvenient! I love this store! I can't believe you're leaving! Where are we supposed to shop?

:shobon:: v:geno:v

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Our store closing sale just started the other day, and the store has gone from a dead $500 in sales Tuesday to $5000 on Thursday. We had about 3k in the first three hours today. So yeah, ridiculously busy.

I've had to explain why the store is closing about a hundred times in the last few days, I am really sick of it.

:smith:: Oh nooo, you guys are closing? I can't believe it! Why?

:shobon:: Well, the landlord raised our rent, so we are merging with our store that's less than a mile away..

:smith::But that's so inconvenient! I love this store! I can't believe you're leaving! Where are we supposed to shop?

:shobon:: v:geno:v

Tell them to keep shopping wherever the hell they were shopping before cause it obviously wasn't your store.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Our landlord wants to raise our rent about 10k..so while all our other locations are actually getting cheaper rent and coming out ahead, we're losing money. Our sales have been really excellent, we're usually in the top 5 at least for the holiday season. Our landlords are just assholes apparently.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I think the only reason my store stays in business is because we OWN the building. Sales are dismal, but there are so many empty storefronts in town, might as well keep it up.

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon

NarwhalParty posted:

I've also heard rumors that they're starting a 15 minute wait or a 15 dollar gift card soon. I will probably leave at that point because that's just too much to ask from us.

Sup pharm tech buddy. Welcome to the world of retail pharmacy. If our store took on this policy, I guarantee we'd shut down in days.

oldyogurt fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jan 23, 2011

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: Wrong thread

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

When I was working at a Walgreens, the photo dude called me and a few colleges over during break and was showing us pictures this one women brought in the day before. The first few of are her kids and family... in middle there is a woman (not the one who dropped off the camera), full frontal, 'using' a bottle.

Dear consumers: We see those pictures, all of them. And we all gossip about it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few people make copies of your photos. Keep it digital.

People are just as bad with their phones. My favorite was I got the manager of one of the bigger Nashville strip clubs. Really cool guy, but upon swapping his pictures it wouldnt go through the machine, which means swap 1 by 1 via bluetooth. 2 pictures in he was just like "yeah....I'll just do that at home." None of the ladies in the pictures were his g/f standing next to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

AlmightyBob posted:

Smells like something died in our backroom

We had a squirrel run in and live in our backroom for about a week during the summer. I was waiting for it to escape onto the floor and terrorize some poor old woman. What an incident report that would have been.

STORY TIME:

Just got complained about by a customer guest that I wouldn't help them out. Which is true, however, it leaves out an important part of the story, I was off the clock walking around on my cell-phone with my winter jacket unzipped with my nametag off. BUT I KNOW HE WORKS HERE AND HE IGNORED ME. I've already gotten crap about using fowl language while off the clock in my uniform, I decided not to inform the woman about my opinions when I overheard her.

Oh and my boss' inability to check his email for my availability & requests off. Welp, gonna have to get two more shifts covered because "they don't go through all the time." Which means he just misses them.