Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

oldyogurt posted:

Sup pharm tech buddy. Welcome to the world of retail pharmacy. If our store took on this policy, I guarantee we'd shut down in days.

Do you all get breaks? I've always wondered if that was unique to my store. The front end people get breaks but we basically either don't eat or cram it it when we can because we're always short staffed and busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Won't be quitting, turns out the mystery shop for this month was already done. Also today's customers were the polar opposite from yesterday. So there's that. :)

Enilev posted:

Sometimes the implication is that you, the employee, pocket the cash and then look the other way as they walk off with the merchandise. But I don't know why people think anyone would agree to that in this age of ubiquitous surveillance.

Funnily enough that's only been implied the once. A lot of them seriously think the business is open to doing deals.

Leal posted:

:byodame:: THATS DISCRIMINATION! (note me and her are both caucasian)

Note that discrimination is not exclusive to race. In this case it became apparent that you discriminate against total jerkbags.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Fury1671 posted:

using fowl language

"Go duck yourself, buddy! While you're at it suck my chick!"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Toad posted:

Note that discrimination is not exclusive to race. In this case it became apparent that you discriminate against total jerkbags.

I find it very odd that people generally don't know the difference between racism and discrimination.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

NarwhalParty posted:

Do you all get breaks? I've always wondered if that was unique to my store. The front end people get breaks but we basically either don't eat or cram it it when we can because we're always short staffed and busy.

Uh...I'm pretty sure that by law, you get breaks. Unless you aren't in the US, then I don't know what the gently caress. I know in MI it's..15 min paid break for a 5 hour shift? and then a half hour unpaid for more than that.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

When I worked cashier at a dollar store, the owner tried to tell me I couldn't eat lunch. I looked at him and laughed and laughed. I have no idea what he was thinking by telling me that I couldn't eat lunch during an 8 hour shift. what goes on in some peoples minds? I honestly don't get it.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Update on my little incident: they are banned from the store, hut the manager is worried that if we escalate the situation we'll all get poo poo-canned if they find out this guy has been doing this for a while under our noses. I had to make the "gtfo" call myself. That was fun.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Letting a possible paedophile walk to cover his own rear end, nice.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Letting a possible paedophile walk to cover his own rear end, nice.

I can understand his stance sadly. Catching a pedophile and getting shitcanned does not pay the bills :smith:

Society is turning us into bad people because of the above. I have opted not to take action because of it. I feel like poo poo when it happens, but I have to look at the consequences of actually doing something.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Your morals/ethics are worth $7.00/hr?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I wish I could do something, I really do, but losing this job means losing my house, my car.. and for my boss, he has 3 daughters in college, that's why he couldn't stay retired, so I get where he's coming from. For the record, I really don't think the few "models" that I've seen are under age- early 20's for sure, but they're too tattooed to be 12 or something.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

three posted:

Your morals/ethics are worth $7.00/hr?

I live paycheck to paycheck. My morals and ethics are worth eating and having a place to call home :colbert:

I fully admit it probably makes me a bad person, but I can live with it. When it comes down to helping out vs. being yelled at, fired or much worse it's just not worth it. Look at the posts in this thread, it's disgraceful the world we live in with such gems as "I got fired for helping someone off the clock." someone else posted that answering work related questions from home is grounds for being fired. I'll assume that includes important questions that can't wait. But gently caress it, why risk it?

It's easy to sit on a high horse and look down at the common folk, but be completely honest with yourself here. If you can say "Yeah, I'd take being fired to do what should be done despite personal loss" then you're a much better person than I am.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
There is no way you would be fired for reporting a pedophile.

Do it, hope you get fired, then sue for millions.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

three posted:

Last week I didn't think it was possible to be fired for answering a question on your day off. you learn something new every day though.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

three posted:

Reporting a pedo? No. Reporting someone with no hard proof of pedophilia and bringing swarms of media attention to the store, then having the fact that he's been doing this for months ignored by the entire store staff who is apparently supposed to be looking over every customer's shoulder while they print pictures? Yeah, they could find a way.

Edit: You're one of the lucky few who hasn't been screwed over by retail, aren't you, 'three'? An old coworker of mine lost her job because she didn't notice it was our old boss stealing from the store. I got out of there just in time to not get the axe. Boss steals, ignorant staff gets fired along with her. How does that work?

TShields fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 24, 2011

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

The General posted:

I can understand his stance sadly. Catching a pedophile and getting shitcanned does not pay the bills :smith:

Society is turning us into bad people because of the above. I have opted not to take action because of it. I feel like poo poo when it happens, but I have to look at the consequences of actually doing something.

The guy who shopped Gary Glitter got sacked, from the computer chain he worked as a tech for.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I talked to a friend who is in HR (albeit at a different company) and he agrees that we can't do anything more than we have. The girls aren't holding up their ID cards in the photos, and if we turned them over to someone and an investigation was started and he was "clean"- the very loosest definition of the word- then we could get sued. It's over. Kind of bittersweet, but at least I don't have to deal with him again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I find it very odd that people generally don't know the difference between racism and discrimination.

When I hear that word I automatically think the race card since its the average American's favorite thing to pull. I guess the lady I did help was younger but :geno:

I like the Staples manager at this store, he let me have like 30 feet of bubble wrap that was in a MP3 player lock box. However, tomorrow we are having like a 4 hour day cause we just about ran out of things to do. Getting out early is nice and all but that means I don't get paid a full 8 hours :smith:

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Uh...I'm pretty sure that by law, you get breaks.

Depends* on if the state has meal/break laws or not. If the state mirrors federal law, you don't get anything no matter how long your shift is.

DOL posted:

Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks.

*unless you're a minor. I don't know how they deal with minors.

manguero
Jul 5, 2009

2508084 posted:

Depends* on if the state has meal/break laws or not. If the state mirrors federal law, you don't get anything no matter how long your shift is.

Which is bullshit. And people try to say that unions have too much power.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

Uh...I'm pretty sure that by law, you get breaks. Unless you aren't in the US, then I don't know what the gently caress. I know in MI it's..15 min paid break for a 5 hour shift? and then a half hour unpaid for more than that.

Apparently anything that can qualify as a "medical profession", you aren't required breaks. My previous job as a caregiver didn't allow breaks either and there was some days where we'd work 40 hour straight shifts. (We were allowed to sleep as long as the residents were sleeping, but that'd usually only mean like 4 hours.)

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

The General posted:

Last week I didn't think it was possible to be fired for answering a question on your day off. you learn something new every day though.
Possible? Sure. Likely? Not really. The issue comes from people working off the clock and then suing the company for unpaid hours. If someone calls you to ask where x inventory item is, I doubt you'll be fired for answering.

Just to let ya know, I was fired for working off the clock at another store. What's the harm in that? Well what if the store got robbed while I was in there, or part of a wall feel over. The company would pay for it sure but insurance might not cover it as I "wasn't supposed to be there." So I can see where they are coming from. Also people being sue happy (apparently it's been a big deal at Wal-Mart, but I'm pretty sure that's more being forced to work off the clock and not being paid for it.)

I would do it again in a heartbeat if it meant I got to help out a friend at another store. Would I do it if I knew we'd both be fired? No, only because I'd be helping out the company who would fire me and not my friend.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

minusX posted:

Possible? Sure. Likely? Not really. The issue comes from people working off the clock and then suing the company for unpaid hours. If someone calls you to ask where x inventory item is, I doubt you'll be fired for answering.

Just to let ya know, I was fired for working off the clock at another store. What's the harm in that? Well what if the store got robbed while I was in there, or part of a wall feel over. The company would pay for it sure but insurance might not cover it as I "wasn't supposed to be there." So I can see where they are coming from. Also people being sue happy (apparently it's been a big deal at Wal-Mart, but I'm pretty sure that's more being forced to work off the clock and not being paid for it.)

I would do it again in a heartbeat if it meant I got to help out a friend at another store. Would I do it if I knew we'd both be fired? No, only because I'd be helping out the company who would fire me and not my friend.

I had a DM at one store who wouldn't let you talk about work if you clocked out for the day. You clock out, you leave- you can't even tell the next manager what needs to be done, that would be working off the clock.

Then, I had a different DM from a commissioned electronics sales chain who would call me on my day off to see if I'd cart something from one store to another, then throw an extra hour on my paycheck. If I wasn't doing anything, hey, why not, $9 was a lot of gas in 2008.

My current DM is a moron, so I don't give a poo poo what he thinks. With the hours he has cut us down to, I think he expects us to have to work off the clock to get everything done that needs to be done..

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Do other white people here get sick of having other white people confide their racism in you because they figure "hey, he's white! He must get it!" Because god drat, people need to stop talking about "minorities" to me.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Leal posted:

When I hear that word I automatically think the race card since its the average American's favorite thing to pull. I guess the lady I did help was younger but :geno:

I like the Staples manager at this store, he let me have like 30 feet of bubble wrap that was in a MP3 player lock box. However, tomorrow we are having like a 4 hour day cause we just about ran out of things to do. Getting out early is nice and all but that means I don't get paid a full 8 hours :smith:

Which Staples do you work at? I'm up in Minnesota myself.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Testikles posted:

Do other white people here get sick of having other white people confide their racism in you because they figure "hey, he's white! He must get it!" Because god drat, people need to stop talking about "minorities" to me.

This is a completely foreign thing to me but have you considered telling them to keep their bigoted opinions to themselves? Kind of confrontational but they need to be told to keep their fool mouths shut.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Nosaj posted:

This is a completely foreign thing to me but have you considered telling them to keep their bigoted opinions to themselves? Kind of confrontational but they need to be told to keep their fool mouths shut.

I really should but just the few times it's happened recently it's caught me so off guard I don't even know what to say, plus confrontations with the customers are usually the kind of thing that get you written warnings and the like. Well whatever, next time it happens I'll tell them to gently caress off.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Testikles posted:

We had a guy come in to the bookstore about 2 weeks ago, bitching about how "they were changing Huck Finn" and how he "better get a copy now before it all gets changed." (Note: Only one printing company is changing it. There's still like 9 other sources for that book. It was blown out of the proportion.)

Now, I'm against censorship, but cannot in good faith defend the N-word, at least when it's not being used to establish a racist character (I'm fine with a character using it because it establishes to the audience that the character is racist [unless the character using it is black, of course]). I get that. But in Huck Finn, the narrator uses it as a general adjective; he isn't using it to be hurtful, or establish a character flaw. I understand that's how folks talked back then, but if it's not adding anything to the characters I can understand why folks would want to change it.

Back to the bookstore, this guy goes on and on about how "that's how we used to talk back then and it's history and blah blah blah." We also used to spell words, that today have two consecutive letter S's in it, with an F instead of the first S. I don't see anyone bitching about that. One of my co-workers mentions that we have a copy of Brer Rabbit and the Tar-baby and the guy's eyes light up as they head to the collectibles room. All I could think was "Wow, this guy really loves racist literature. Do we have any signed versions of Mien Kampf?"

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Dodgeball posted:

We had a guy come in to the bookstore about 2 weeks ago, bitching about how "they were changing Huck Finn" and how he "better get a copy now before it all gets changed." (Note: Only one printing company is changing it. There's still like 9 other sources for that book. It was blown out of the proportion.)

Now, I'm against censorship, but cannot in good faith defend the N-word, at least when it's not being used to establish a racist character (I'm fine with a character using it because it establishes to the audience that the character is racist [unless the character using it is black, of course]). I get that. But in Huck Finn, the narrator uses it as a general adjective; he isn't using it to be hurtful, or establish a character flaw. I understand that's how folks talked back then, but if it's not adding anything to the characters I can understand why folks would want to change it.

Back to the bookstore, this guy goes on and on about how "that's how we used to talk back then and it's history and blah blah blah." We also used to spell words, that today have two consecutive letter S's in it, with an F instead of the first S. I don't see anyone bitching about that. One of my co-workers mentions that we have a copy of Brer Rabbit and the Tar-baby and the guy's eyes light up as they head to the collectibles room. All I could think was "Wow, this guy really loves racist literature. Do we have any signed versions of Mien Kampf?"

Not defending racist fucks or anything here. They are pretty much pure scum. But I'm actually pretty set against changing literature, even if it is racist or whatever else. Its a product of the time, leave it be, recognise it as you read it and that's that. If anyone actually gets offended reading Twain they should probably re-evaluate how easily they get pissed off.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Testikles posted:

Retail stories on Racism:

The Manager I replaced here was a MAJOR racist. Dude got in trouble mouthing off a bunch of times to customers, and has said some pretty bad stuff. My favorite was when he told myself and my girlfriend that he wouldn't work at the other mall (where i was working at) because "you know its all black people, and those people don't buy and are always a lot of trouble." He then called me the next day saying, "I hope your girlfriend doesn't think I'm a racist, I mean I am Democrat you know. But seriously you know what I mean about that store right?"

My favorite:
I used to work in a repair center that mostly sold used Cricket phones. One day we had a black dude come in really pissed off because the phone we sold him sucked, and we wouldn't replace it for whatever reason (the store was shady, glad i don't work there). He goes on a huge tirade, yelling, screaming, etc. The whole time there is an old couple waiting patiently behind him. eventually, the dude leaves, and I turn to the old couple, where the old guy says in a really sweet, nice old person voice "boy that was one angry n****r there huh?" All I could respond with was "um...how can I help you?" Sad, but funny on the way he just said it nonchalantly, like it was still the 1950s. Tennessee is fun.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation

Testikles posted:

I really should but just the few times it's happened recently it's caught me so off guard I don't even know what to say, plus confrontations with the customers are usually the kind of thing that get you written warnings and the like. Well whatever, next time it happens I'll tell them to gently caress off.

When I was in the Navy I had this happen less with other white people, and more with minority X that hates minority Y and assumes that since I'm white I hate that race as well.

I think the easiest way to say something about it is to highlight the actual problem instead of saying "raaarrgh you racist :argh:"

When a Mexican guy I served with started complaining about a black co-worker and blaming things on the fact that he was black, I responded with "I don't think he's lazy because he's black, I think he's lazy because he's lazy." That stopped him right in his tracks, and he clearly appreciated the fact that I wasn't being condescending. Enlightened as you may be, it is sometimes hard to believe there are still racist people in the world, but there are still families and even entire communities all over the country that operate and believe this way. Confronting hatred with more hatred and anger will simply alienate them and they'll mentally file you under the same category as whichever race you were attempting to protect.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Dodgeball posted:

I don't want to help derail the thread any more, but I'd argue that Huck's use of the word isn't simply gratuitous or "adding nothing to the character." So much of the book hinges on the battle between Huck's understanding of how society works and his empathy for Jim, and softening the text kind of dulls the intensity of what is probably the most important conflict in the book. His use of the n-word is a way of complicating this conflict, distinctly actualizing his internalized racism and forcing it to butt heads with his gut feeling that Jim's treatment is wrong.

Of course, your customer sounds like he's not thinking about it this way when he gets his confederate-flag boxers all knotted up over the revision.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
The store isn't accepting any returns right now, unless the item is damaged. This has been really pissing off some people, even though I have three signs on every register, plus a sign on each door saying ALL SALES ARE FINAL.

I've had a bunch of people argue with me. It's not that they can't return their item at all; they just have to go to another one of our stores.

One woman told me she couldn't read. :stare:

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

One woman told me she couldn't read. :stare:

I had a woman tell me "I can read, I went to college! I don't care what your policy is, I want my money back!"

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Re: telling racist fucks to shut their mouth

It depends on what kind of manager you have. My rear end-dick manager threatened my job because I shut the drive through window on a customer who verbally threatened to punch me in the face.

So, uh, yeah. Be wary of having any kind of opinion or personal belief about anything.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BigDave posted:

Which Staples do you work at? I'm up in Minnesota myself.

Well I don't work for staples, I work in staples. I just finished up a remodel (in the loosest sense, we didn't have anything new to put it, it was more of a move around) in Lake Tahoe, hopefully next week I'm going to another one down in the valley in CA.

Re: Racists. A coworker told me about how a customer was talking to him (a 'fellow' white) about how disgusted he was with our latin and black coworkers. While he was bashing them my coworker says:

"Completely right sir, we all regret bringing the blacks to America and teaching the Mexicans our language."

And the guy got a look of bewilderment and walked off.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

E1M1 posted:

Of course, your customer sounds like he's not thinking about it this way when he gets his confederate-flag boxers all knotted up over the revision.

Pretty much this. Like I said, I dislike censorship, but I can see the point of view of folks who would want it changed.

In that same week, I rung up a black lady and her child, and as she left, the guy behind her began to fan the air she had occupied in front of my register using an LP record before occupying it, himself. I don't know what that was about, and I didn't want to ask.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If I had to guess, I'd say the woman was wearing to much (any is to much for some people) perfume. Put depending on the age of the child, possibly the smell of feces.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
An earlier post I read about a mystery shopper reminded me of earlier today at my work.

We're not allowed to use personal electronics, it's not heavily enforced at least for the perimeter departments, at least when not on the sales floor. Lately I've been using it to text my real estate agent since it is the easiest way to communicate since we both are quite busy most of the day.

Well, normally I pocket my cell-phone with vibrate on and just check messages when I'm on my break or lunch. While at lunch, I switched to ring and vibrate when receiving a call or message. I forgot to turn it off when I got back from lunch.

While grabbing some product for a customer from our case, my phone went off because my grandma was calling me to apologize for not getting my birthday card sent in time. Before I could set the phone to vibrate, I had to help another customer. Of course again my phone rings due to a message from my real estate agent. So now I'm wondering what are the penalties of a mystery shopper hearing my cell phone?

Also I'm pissed for a few other reasons:
-Temp boss (who's normally pretty good), did I really drat light order, so we were filling empty shelving with somewhat random product. Of course the supervisor comes in today and rails us. Then later in the day random managers (from throughout the district) came by and graded how presentable or case looked. I'm guessing probably a 5 or 6 out 10. So I'll probably get grief for that because we had no product to fill shelving.

-Someone quit on us yesterday without giving a two-week notice. What a pain in the rear end that is since our labor is spread so thin, that anybody calling in sick can pretty much ruin the day for everybody else working that day.

-Speaking of calling in sick, one full timer is out for a week, again no time to properly fill the hours.

-Found out the original boss is coming back from his LOA soon. NOT looking for to this because he's been bringing his home problems to work and flatly acknowledges that he doesn't do poo poo while on the job. He's a great social talker, so he can get away with lots of poo poo by bullshitting his immediate bosses. Unfortunately those bosses also have bosses which will make life miserable to everyone if things aren't up to par.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Indulging "light" racism is a good way to get on a customer's good side. In a way, they're fishing because they want you to make a deal of it, to throw it in everyone's face. If you just smile and nod they think you're in on their stupid ideas and won't put up as much of a fight if there's a conflict. You can also deflect any of their concerns by blaming, with disgust, their issues on "this guy who just got fired, you know one of them".