Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

My Roccat Kone+ finally showed up the other day and I am loving it. The shape is a little more comfortable for me than my mx518 and I love the easy shift idea. The surface feels really nice too. Can't say that I care about the lights though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
I finally replaced my MX1000 with a Logitech Performance Mouse MX. The one thing I noticed is that the left mouse button has some travel until it finally touches the actual button inside the mouse. It's not like the right mouse button where it's already on the button underneath. Is this normal or did I get a bad one?

sinep
Feb 3, 2007
I'm gonna throw my vote in for the Razer Naga. It has a poo poo-ton of buttons, which may scare some away. I was able to get acclimated after a couple of games with it, but I'm also a fan of not moving my hand away from WASD as much as possible. It's also extremely comfortable in the hand. I have huge hands, so I was initially worried that it would be too small, but that isn't the case at all. It's really hard to accidentally activate any of the side buttons unless you want to. The mouse 4&5 buttons are in a weird spot, but they now sit unused, or binded to the more obscure actions.

This is my first gaming mouse and my first Razer product. I'm extremely impressed by it. I'm coming off a 5 year old Logitech wireless laser mouse (which was my old faithful.) This was a major step up in every way.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

wca posted:

Is Microsoft SideWinder X3 Mouse a good budget gamer mouse for under $30.00 bucks?

The x3 is really gimped features wise x5 with low DPI and lovely button placement. You are better off going for the x5 Sidewinder as it is a much better mouse and not something that looks like it came with a Dell.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've had a Logitech Performance MX for like... a long time now and I just moved. Now if the mouse is used wireless it skips and jumps on occasion, but if I plug a USB cable from the mouse into the computer it is just fine. I took the computer/mouse back to my old place and it works perfectly there. :wtc:

Should I give up and get another mouse because of interference here or is there a workaround that doesn't involve the USB cable?

Boner Wad posted:

I finally replaced my MX1000 with a Logitech Performance Mouse MX. The one thing I noticed is that the left mouse button has some travel until it finally touches the actual button inside the mouse. It's not like the right mouse button where it's already on the button underneath. Is this normal or did I get a bad one?

Bad one.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 19, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

BlackMK4 posted:

I've had a Logitech Performance MX for like... a long time now and I just moved. Now if the mouse is used wireless it skips and jumps on occasion, but if I plug a USB cable from the mouse into the computer it is just fine. I took the computer/mouse back to my old place and it works perfectly there. :wtc:

Should I give up and get another mouse because of interference here or is there a workaround that doesn't involve the USB cable?

Bad one.

Could try using an extension cable to move the wireless receiver somewhere better, with a clear line of sight to where the mouse is. I think the Performance MX came with an extension cable for this sort of reason. Even moving the receiver a few inches away from the computer can make a big difference.

e. I use one of these for an open air itx build I have, and it's enough to make the difference between impossible to use and working perfectly. http://cens.com/cens/html/en/product/product_main_38084.html

double edit: Just look at that guy go

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 19, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a 2010 Macbook Pro, the thing is plugged right in next to the mouse. :(

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I just installed Logitech 64-bit Windows 7 drivers for my new Performance MX. Now the trackpad on my Macbook doesn't work. What gives? edit: Rebooted and life is good.

Jam2 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 20, 2011

Alkuan
Sep 8, 2006

Please hide me from those Berzerker's, they wont stop staring.
I got the Razer Imperator, had it for about a month now, and so far i love it. Super smooth movement and quite comfortable to use. Although im not playing for like 16 hour WoW raids or anything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153057&Tpk=razer%20imperator

Now that i look its 20$ cheaper on Newegg than i got it for. Sigh.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got my MX518 today and I can see why people like it and I'm now asking myself why I didn't get one of these in the first place.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:
I'll ask again, because my google skills are failing me: Does anyone know of any good left-handed mice (other than the Razer DeathAdder)? Not necessarily a gaming mouse, but something with at least 5 buttons? If not, I'll just keep rocking my ambidextrous Mx310, but I'm curious... I know that, once, Logitech made a wireless left-handed mouse (610? I think), but it was wireless, and I've discovered I can't stand wireless mice. Thanks for any leads.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

A Child's Letter posted:

I'll ask again, because my google skills are failing me: Does anyone know of any good left-handed mice (other than the Razer DeathAdder)? Not necessarily a gaming mouse, but something with at least 5 buttons? If not, I'll just keep rocking my ambidextrous Mx310, but I'm curious... I know that, once, Logitech made a wireless left-handed mouse (610? I think), but it was wireless, and I've discovered I can't stand wireless mice. Thanks for any leads.

If ambidextrous mice work too, I pretty much swear by the Intellimouse Optical. The one I used before my Sidewinder X8 lasted almost eight years, including two full summer vacations of Diablo II, before finally giving up.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

A Child's Letter posted:

It really blows my mind how completely shat upon lefties are in the gaming mouse market. I mean, the number of left-handed mouse users is certainly not the majority, but has got to be significant. Thankfully I'm not a lefty, but roughly 10-15% percent of the population is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Most lefties use their mouse with their right hand because it's not an activity that you need your dominant hand for. The tiny minority of people foolish enough to learn to use a mouse the wrong way will eventually vanish, leaving only people who are disabled/missing their right arm.

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

K8.0 posted:

Most lefties use their mouse with their right hand because it's not an activity that you need your dominant hand for. The tiny minority of people foolish enough to learn to use a mouse the wrong way will eventually vanish, leaving only people who are disabled/missing their right arm.

The lefties you know are spineless conformists, then! :colbert: Me, I'll continue to contort my bones into Lovecraftian shapes on principle until some enterprising manufacturer realizes that I am, in fact, a special snowflake! :argh:

But yeah, I'd really like a nice, wired left-handed mouse :( Maybe I fit into your "disabled" category, but my right hand is good for catching baseballs, and that's about it.

Edit: VVV I piss and moan in public places while smashing right-handed mice I can use a right handed mouse for a few things, but it takes longer, and it gets uncomfortable more quickly. V:shobon:V

A Child's Letter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 20, 2011

Slow and Serious
Mar 20, 2007

It runs ok.
^^ I'm a leftie and I didn't even know there were left handed computer peripherals until I started reading this thread. Seems like such a bad idea to learn using left handed mice since then if you want to use a computer in public, wouldn't you need to bring along a left handed mouse?

Alkuan posted:

I got the Razer Imperator, had it for about a month now, and so far i love it. Super smooth movement and quite comfortable to use. Although im not playing for like 16 hour WoW raids or anything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153057&Tpk=razer%20imperator

I bought it on 1/7 and it had an instant coupon for $30 off. It is a pretty nice mouse but just like the Deathadder I had before it, it collects dirt on the glossy sides like a motherfucker. I must say though, Razer mice look so good, I love the two blue lights on each side of the mouse wheel. :blush:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Asking again since my Razer Copperhead is literally falling apart (scroll wheel no longer scrolls, have taken it apart multiple times and tried all sorts of glues in the assembly etc.)

I liked the Copperhead, a lot, as I am a claw gripper. But I still feel like I should "upgrade". The RAT 7 looked freaking perfect but in this thread people have mentioned that the sensor is a little hyperactive, so if you are like me and are frequently picking up your mouse (which I easily do a couple of times a second in some instances, when playing a game like HoN where you have to nudge the screen constantly), that could seriously mean LIFE OR DEATH :black101:. So for example I'll usually tilt my mouse to one side with my Copperhead or most other general optical mice (MS Intellimouse), until the sensor stops trying, scoot the mouse back to where I'd like it, and put it back down. With the Copperhead, which has a nice DPI to it, I can do this with almost no pixel drift upon pickup/putdown, I'd say maybe 3-4 pixels.

How bad is the drift on a RAT 7? Keeping the mouse in one place and just tilting it till it stops detecting (how far do you have to tilt it, in degrees, before it is safe to say it's not trying anymore?). Or even without tilting it, and just picking it up a few cm (which I also do a fair amount of)

:goonsay:

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Mido posted:

Asking again since my Razer Copperhead is literally falling apart (scroll wheel no longer scrolls, have taken it apart multiple times and tried all sorts of glues in the assembly etc.)

I liked the Copperhead, a lot, as I am a claw gripper. But I still feel like I should "upgrade". The RAT 7 looked freaking perfect but in this thread people have mentioned that the sensor is a little hyperactive, so if you are like me and are frequently picking up your mouse (which I easily do a couple of times a second in some instances, when playing a game like HoN where you have to nudge the screen constantly), that could seriously mean LIFE OR DEATH :black101:. So for example I'll usually tilt my mouse to one side with my Copperhead or most other general optical mice (MS Intellimouse), until the sensor stops trying, scoot the mouse back to where I'd like it, and put it back down. With the Copperhead, which has a nice DPI to it, I can do this with almost no pixel drift upon pickup/putdown, I'd say maybe 3-4 pixels.

How bad is the drift on a RAT 7? Keeping the mouse in one place and just tilting it till it stops detecting (how far do you have to tilt it, in degrees, before it is safe to say it's not trying anymore?). Or even without tilting it, and just picking it up a few cm (which I also do a fair amount of)

:goonsay:
RAT mice are useless junk thats really uncomfortable and just has useless stuff so that Gamers can Game Games

if you want a perfect mouse for an RTS style game get a razer abyssus imo

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Eh I like my R.A.T 9 although adjusting kind of sucks. Also one of the batteries it came with doesn't work and Madcatz apparently doesn't respond to emails.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Eh I like my R.A.T 9 although adjusting kind of sucks. Also one of the batteries it came with doesn't work and Madcatz apparently doesn't respond to emails.

Give Mad Catz a call, their support department has been nothing but excellent when my FightStick TE S was acting up on me. They even sent me a PCB replacement board when I asked them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Give Mad Catz a call, their support department has been nothing but excellent when my FightStick TE S was acting up on me. They even sent me a PCB replacement board when I asked them.

I plan to at some point but "We're presently experiencing a high volume of calls you can email us at techsupport@madcatz.com".

GosuProbe
Apr 14, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Madcatz apparently doesn't respond to emails.

Hm. The one time I sent an email to them I got a response from their R&D head the next day. I've had zero problems with my 7 (neither has ~my girlfriend~), guess we're in the minority. Every time I go into Fry's though, every RAT on the shelf is discounted because it's an open box. v:shobon:v

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

GosuProbe posted:

Hm. The one time I sent an email to them I got a response from their R&D head the next day. I've had zero problems with my 7 (neither has ~my girlfriend~), guess we're in the minority. Every time I go into Fry's though, every RAT on the shelf is discounted because it's an open box. v:shobon:v

I like the mouse just fine, it's just the whole not working battery thing kind of makes it annoying. Perhaps I'll try a third email.

Insidious
Dec 17, 2004

GODDAMNIT APHEX WHY DO YOU SUCK AT EVERYTHING YOU DO
Checking in with my new G700. I was considering a Rat 9 but decided against it after following this thread.

I am a former Razer Mamba owner. God, does it feel good to be back in Logitech's embrace. I'm sorry I ever crossed you, Logitech.

My year with the Razer Mamba was dealing constantly, every day, with this mouse's stupid loving idiosyncrasies. Sometimes the cursor would pause for 3 seconds, then shoot off somewhere. This would happen once an hour or so. Sometimes the cursor would stop tracking one axis, so that moving the mouse would move the cursor up and down or only left and right. This could only be fixed by turning the mouse on and off.

Oh, I'm sorry, did you just turn the mouse on and off? Or perhaps did you run out of juice and connect the mouse with the USB cable? Enjoy waiting 30 seconds for Windows to shepherd Razer's stupid drivers into place so you can use your totally new and different hardware configuration. It's so much fun having to frantically type 'hold on mouse freaked out' to your allies in Starcraft 2 and mash F10 to pause the game while the Windows device manager tries to get the Razer drivers' rear end in gear. And then once the mouse finally reconnects, there is a 75% chance that it will only be sending click events, not movement information. So the cursor is stuck in place, but you can click and right click. This, too, can only be solved by another on/off or disconnect/reconnect attempt. Fun!

This was just constant, daily annoyance. 'Oh, it's because it's new hardware,' I said. "They'll release new drivers,", I said. I would check their site every month and initially, they did release some new drivers and firmware updates. None solved these issues. So a few months ago, I RMA'd my mouse. The new one does exactly the same stuff. And also, like the old one, it too developed the same squeak.

A squeak, you ask? Oh, I was just getting to the best part. The mouse wheel squeaks. Seriously. A $120 mouse and this piece of poo poo squeaks like a goddamn shopping cart wheel. I've used $5 Dell mice at work that had wheels that don't squeak. Apparently theres some hardware that sticks out inside and rubs against the wheel. Fixable, if you want to void your warranty.

gently caress this mouse. I'm done putting up with it, and this week I got a G700. The G700 is simply what the Mamba should have been, has none of its bugs, and was $75 on Amazon. What shameful, shoddy execution.

Insidious fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 23, 2011

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Insidious posted:

Razer Mamba acting like poo poo, went with Logitech G700.

I really have no idea what is going with Razer's quality assurance. I know in the early 2000s they were really excellent mice and gave everyone else a run for their money but they were the only ones doing the gaming-specific gear for the time. Now they seem more focused on their "cult" advertising and pushing branded "special edition" mice all the time rather than make stuff that lasts beyond the warranty.

I had pretty much the same experience with my Deathadder RMA. I got a new one and within 2 weeks, my left mouse button wouldn't response to fast clicks nor did the mouse wheel work. I went with the Xai and I been happy since with no bullshit.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Mr. Despair posted:

Could try using an extension cable to move the wireless receiver somewhere better, with a clear line of sight to where the mouse is. I think the Performance MX came with an extension cable for this sort of reason. Even moving the receiver a few inches away from the computer can make a big difference.

e. I use one of these for an open air itx build I have, and it's enough to make the difference between impossible to use and working perfectly. http://cens.com/cens/html/en/product/product_main_38084.html

double edit: Just look at that guy go

What the hell is that Lian Li case? Is that real?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
It's a test bench case.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Insidious posted:

A squeak, you ask? Oh, I was just getting to the best part. The mouse wheel squeaks. Seriously. A $120 mouse and this piece of poo poo squeaks like a goddamn shopping cart wheel. I've used $5 Dell mice at work that had wheels that don't squeak. Apparently theres some hardware that sticks out inside and rubs against the wheel. Fixable, if you want to void your warranty.

gently caress this mouse. I'm done putting up with it, and this week I got a G700. The G700 is simply what the Mamba should have been, has none of its bugs, and was $75 on Amazon. What shameful, shoddy execution.

I laughed pretty hard at your post, but this really drove me nuts as well.

The mamba is a monumental piece of poo poo for $120. Mine started squeaking shortly after I bought mine as well, and between that, the poo poo drivers, and the rubber side grips that quickly started peeling off, I returned mine and got a G500 instead.

It is a shame, since I really liked the feel of the wheel and the general shape of the mouse was pretty great. Better than my G500 as far as I'm concerned.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I really have no idea what is going with Razer's quality assurance.

I guess there are some duds. My mamba works perfectly and I pre-ordered it and got one of the original release-batch shipments. Best mouse ever IMO. (unless you get a lemon)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's really strange reading all this about Razer mice. My Diamondback still looks and works just as well as it did when I bought it back when it was new and exciting. Maybe I was just lucky, or their QA really has gone done since then. Or maybe it's just like with harddrives when some guy says that his WD (or Seagate, or whatever) drive just died and then people start coming out of the woodwork claiming that those are in fact the worst drives evar and no one should buy them.

I really do prefer this shape to that of "ergonomic" Logitech mice though, so if I had to buy another one, I'd probably go with Razer again since with the generous return/RMA policies there's little to worry about.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have found the Razer software 400000000 times better than the Logitech Setpoint software.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Some of Razer's design decisions really make me scratch my head though. I mean glossy plastic sides on the Deathadder? Come on! Its a magnet for skin, oil, dust and lint. The rubberized coating feels great at first but over time it hardens and it rubbed off in patches when I tried to clean my old Pro Click using a lens cloth and water. The printed Razer logo on the Pro Click also has the permanence of a transfer and it was wiped off within the first week.

The loving mousewheel on my new Deathadder has started, not squeaking exactly but its rubbing against something and you can hear + feel it. Its not even a month old!

I don't feel as if Razer build their mice to last. They'll mostly work 3 years from now but they will look and feel like poo poo. Thats the way it was with my old Pro Click and I'm seeing the same signs appearing with my new Deathadder.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Alkuan posted:

I hated mine because my fingertips would stick to it during gaming and slide too much while wearing my winter gloves :mad:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

WanderingKid posted:

Some of Razer's design decisions really make me scratch my head though. I mean glossy plastic sides on the Deathadder? Come on! Its a magnet for skin, oil, dust and lint. The rubberized coating feels great at first but over time it hardens and it rubbed off in patches when I tried to clean my old Pro Click using a lens cloth and water. The printed Razer logo on the Pro Click also has the permanence of a transfer and it was wiped off within the first week.

The loving mousewheel on my new Deathadder has started, not squeaking exactly but its rubbing against something and you can hear + feel it. Its not even a month old!

I don't feel as if Razer build their mice to last. They'll mostly work 3 years from now but they will look and feel like poo poo. Thats the way it was with my old Pro Click and I'm seeing the same signs appearing with my new Deathadder.

The scroll wheel is my biggest problem with the deathadder. It's nice but it clogs up with crap from oil to hair to dust. Mine stopped middle clicking and because of this I had to routinely clean the scroll and underneath the rubber part with an alcohol pad. I also had to open it up once to check out an issue with it.

The glossy sides are a problem but I can deal with that.

Otherwise it's a solid mouse that works well and hasn't broken down on me over the last three years.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I'm having a weird issue with my desktop and mouse. I was going to come in complaining about the R.A.T. 7 having a slight delay in movement on screen. I don't think its technically mouse lag because there isn't any skipping or stopping happening, but any motion I make with the mouse has a short but noticeable delay. I have a razer naga on my laptop that works just fine so I switched them out and I'm now having the same problem on the desktop and the R.A.T. 7 works fine on the laptop.

I thought maybe it had to do with my monitor being a hdtv thats connected via hdmi, but I was having this same issue with the rat7 on my old desktop that had a normal computer monitor.

I'm on windows 7 with a radeon 5870 if that matters.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

A Child's Letter posted:

I'm in the same boat. I own a LH Deathadder, a Xai, and I've owned a Roccat Kova. The DA cramps my hand, the Xai is a nice shape but doesn't track very well (I notice the acceleration that it has anyway - YMMV) and the Kova was too small for my hands, and cramped up too, but was otherwise a good mouse.

I use a MS Intellimouse 1.1a, which tracks flawlessly. You have to jump through some hoops though to get 500hz input on Windows 7. I pulled it apart to tighten up the mousewheel, and keep a spare one on the side because they're so cheap off eBay.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I think Deathadder is comfortable as a left hander. I think. I'm used to the old Razer mice and the ambidex microsoft mice from a long time ago and they were all quite low and flat. Deathadder is kind of tall by comparison and if you don't have the mouse buttons the "wrong" way around (so left click is the right mouse button) then double clicking with your middle or ring finger will cramp your hand up after a while like it did with me.

At least I didn't have to pay more for the left handed version unlike guitars and everything else where being left handed obviously means you have more money. :argh:

lando calrissian
Jan 7, 2009

Pen Expers posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my desktop and mouse. I was going to come in complaining about the R.A.T. 7 having a slight delay in movement on screen. I don't think its technically mouse lag because there isn't any skipping or stopping happening, but any motion I make with the mouse has a short but noticeable delay. I have a razer naga on my laptop that works just fine so I switched them out and I'm now having the same problem on the desktop and the R.A.T. 7 works fine on the laptop.

I thought maybe it had to do with my monitor being a hdtv thats connected via hdmi, but I was having this same issue with the rat7 on my old desktop that had a normal computer monitor.

I'm on windows 7 with a radeon 5870 if that matters.

Is this delay only happening in games, or on your regular desktop screen as well?

If it is just games, make sure you have vsync disabled. With nvidia cards, you can change a setting in the control panel to disable the frame delay when using vsync (Maximum pre-rendered frames -> 0), but I don't know how to do it with ATI cards.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What is it with loving mice these days? The old models back in stone age were practically indestructible, however these days you can't seem to use one for a few months without the microclicker of one of the mouse buttons freaking the gently caress out and triggering double clicks on single clicks. Right now, it's a relative expensive Logitech Performance MX that's being a pain in the rear end. And before that it was a Microsoft Habu and another expensive Logitech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K-On! Season 2
Jan 1, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Combat Pretzel posted:

What is it with loving mice these days? The old models back in stone age were practically indestructible, however these days you can't seem to use one for a few months without the microclicker of one of the mouse buttons freaking the gently caress out and triggering double clicks on single clicks. Right now, it's a relative expensive Logitech Performance MX that's being a pain in the rear end. And before that it was a Microsoft Habu and another expensive Logitech.

Logitech supposedly has a nice return policy, maybe email them.