Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Pretty sure this qualifies although it’s a "motion picture" :black101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sj2HgGwDOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Ahahaha holy poo poo, he blew the block clean in two and left the pistons (comparatively) intact. :aaaaa:

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Holy poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
This amazes me more. The loving block decided it was tired of it's life as a tractor engine and wanted to prove it belonged in a plane.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
I wish there was a first person POV cam for that...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be fair, calling that thing a "tractor" is kind of like calling a U2 a "plane".

I just looped through the video from just before the explosion to just after the block touches down a few times. loving insane.

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!
Why do the Dutch like tractor pulls so much? Seems like half the vids around here I see of tractor pulls are from the Dutch. I thought it was a redneck american thing?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
No not just the 'mericans. I think there's a modified tractor pull coming up here in the next few weeks. yay. A whole day of hearing RRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr.... rrRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr. because where it is held is maybe 2 blocks away from my house.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Im sorta wondering what the drivers safety suit & helmet looked like after that... it appears to me that the fireball was aimed right at him. :derp:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008

Petekill posted:

Why do the Dutch like tractor pulls so much? Seems like half the vids around here I see of tractor pulls are from the Dutch. I thought it was a redneck american thing?

It's a man thing plus these things blow up really nicely and everyone loves that.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Petekill posted:

The dutch are considerably more redneck than most rednecks.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If that video is any indicator though, the Dutch are a little behind us in tractor awesomeness. I mean, a single i6 engine? Ours have like multiple v8s on every tractor. Get your poo poo together, Europe.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If that video is any indicator though, the Dutch are a little behind us in tractor awesomeness. I mean, a single i6 engine? Ours have like multiple v8s on every tractor. Get your poo poo together, Europe.

Looks actually like a V-12, you can faintly see the other exhaust manifold on the other side.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Is that a ISX learning to fly?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CommieGIR posted:

Looks actually like a V-12, you can faintly see the other exhaust manifold on the other side.

Or it might be two I-6's, tractors do that.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

Or it might be two I-6's, tractors do that.

With any of those multi-engine setups, how do they join the output of all of the engines?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Those massive, ridiculous American tractors are unnecessary for the job and bad for the environment. Dutch tractors are lean, mean, efficient, quite taxed and useful in the city.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Ola posted:

Those massive, ridiculous American tractors are unnecessary for the job and bad for the environment. Dutch tractors are lean, mean, efficient, quite taxed and useful in the city.

Yap yap supiur eropan technologiks. If it ain't fueled by a 4 story tall meat grinder stuffed full of manatees and whales it ain't 'Merican! :clint:

Ole here is a local legend. Used to drive by his sted every morn and would often see him prepping truck, trailer, and tractor for the weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlbjwXxUfG0

edit: RR Merlin V12 going down hard: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jfe7Dysv2Q

How rare are those blocks?

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 26, 2011

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

CommieGIR posted:

Everything I've read was the engine was a DT466. That would be a Navistar inline 6.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

CommieGIR posted:

If it were a V12, that bank of cylinders would be canted at an angle and would have fired the head into the audience.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Ola posted:

Yeah, there's no such thing as classifications in tractor pulling...

I prefer the turbodiesels because they fail so spectacularly. The turbine powered ones don't seem to blow up nearly as much or as entertainingly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Ola posted:

we use turbines too :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtUB1yI035g

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Poing posted:

The turbine powered ones don't seem to blow up nearly as much or as entertainingly.

Ah, the reminder of my days doing lab work for my Aerospace degree... A time filled with such warnings as:

"Don't stand to the side of the jet engine while it's running, this thing is like 40 years old and no one knows the last time it was inspected."

"I think one of the cylinders isn't firing. Stick your hand in there to see if there's heat coming off of it." (Referring to a 5-cylinder radial while running, with a propeller attached of course.)

"Don't forget to lock the bolts before you run it, there's about 20 tons of pressure going through the test section." (Referring to the supersonic wind tunnel, which was held closed with just two bolts.)

"We don't run the tunnel more than about 6 seconds at a time because otherwise you start sucking the air out of the building." (Same wind tunnel.)

"Check that the models are mounted properly. Last time someone forgot it ended up inside a car... on the other side of the parking lot. Across the train tracks."

And lastly, in the sub-sonic wind tunnel, where speed is controlled by the pitch of some propeller blades:
"Don't pitch down."
"Why?"
"Because bad things will happen."
"What kind of things?"
"We don't know yet."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The Rocket Salad posted:

Holy poo poo.

Need an "Awesome Mechanical Failures" thread just for this event.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

we use turbines too :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtUB1yI035g

Seeing this and the related "fastest full pull" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7kJF-LjosU&feature=fvw I wonder if anyone has taken one of these tractors on the strip, if they can pull the heavy load that fast they have to be impressive if they have the gearing.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

eames posted:

Pretty sure this qualifies although it’s a "motion picture" :black101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sj2HgGwDOU

I like how he flips open his helmet visor right after the explosion and just stares at the head with the cylinder linings on it sitting next to the tractor thinking "welp"

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

ApathyGifted posted:

"Check that the models are mounted properly. Last time someone forgot it ended up inside a car... on the other side of the parking lot. Across the train tracks."
You had train tracks running through your parking lot? :aaa:

BigFuzzyJesus
Dec 4, 2007
Now with more Jesus
I'm going to school for high performance engine machining in N. Minnesota, and our prof worked on a semi-pro diesel pulling tractor for a farmer out of Wisconsin. He claims farmers like tractor pulling because you can write them off as "new combine motors" in your taxes. The tractor (which ran on some hilarious amount of boost 64lbs or something?) he worked on kept cracking heads so they reverse engineered a billet head that apparently got past inspections. Then they started throwing pistons, so they put in billet pistons, which lead to disintegrating crank shaft problems... Fixed with an $8000 inertia (maybe cant remember the term) crankshaft, basically a super fat heavy crank that will keep it self in place with rotational force even if the motor explodes around it.

Lot of power going on in those things...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Revolvyerom posted:

Could be local movement tracks, like from one building to another.

ApathyGifted, the one about sucking all the air out of the building had me in tears.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BigFuzzyJesus posted:

I'm going to school for high performance engine machining in N. Minnesota, and our prof worked on a semi-pro diesel pulling tractor for a farmer out of Wisconsin. He claims farmers like tractor pulling because you can write them off as "new combine motors" in your taxes. The tractor (which ran on some hilarious amount of boost 64lbs or something?) he worked on kept cracking heads so they reverse engineered a billet head that apparently got past inspections. Then they started throwing pistons, so they put in billet pistons, which lead to disintegrating crank shaft problems... Fixed with an $8000 inertia (maybe cant remember the term) crankshaft, basically a super fat heavy crank that will keep it self in place with rotational force even if the motor explodes around it.

Lot of power going on in those things...

This ties in to the Mechanical Failure thread in AI, which is currently enjoying some awesome tractor pull engines exploding on the track.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Godholio posted:

This ties in to the Mechanical Failure thread in AI, which is currently enjoying some awesome tractor pull engines exploding on the track.

Err...this is the mechanical failures thread?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This just got pretty meta.

lazychris2000
Apr 2, 2010

I graduated college with a 2.0 GPA so go figure I can't fucking read

ApathyGifted posted:

"Don't pitch down."
"Why?"
"Because bad things will happen."
"What kind of things?"
"We don't know yet."

That sounds like a challenge to try it.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Revolvyerom posted:

I think he is an NC State grad. We had train tracks running through campus.
There was also a DIESEL WING in the MechE building. That just sounds awesome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iwentdoodie posted:

Err...this is the mechanical failures thread?

Goddamned tabbed browsing.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Revolvyerom posted:

Nah, there were train tracks running between two parking lots, connected by a couple of pedestrian tunnels.

Edit: Sniper_Magnum nailed it. Should have known to look for an NCSU avatar before answering you.

Another edit: Got curious and started running numbers on that wind tunnel. Jesus this thing is ridiculous.

Some background: It runs off of 120 PSI compressed air tanks. You open a valve from a huge reservoir, run it through a choke point, and re-expand it at supersonic speeds through the test section. This expansion causes the air to cool down - a lot. At Mach 3 through the test section the air temperature is -150°C/-270°F. This cold temperature slows down the speed of sound (to about 460 mph instead of the usual ~760). At this speed Mach 3 is "only" 1380 mph, or about the same as the Concorde's ground speed.

At this speed you're pushing through 900 cubic feet of air every second, but it's only about half as dense as the normal atmosphere. Adjusted to a normal atmosphere, you're blowing the equivalent of 550 cubic feet per second, or 33,000 cfm. That translates to about a quarter million gallons of air every minute, or roughly 25 times the rate that a Bugatti Veyron is breathing at 215 mph.

ApathyGifted fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 27, 2011

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
np

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ApathyGifted posted:

At Mach 3 through the test section the air temperature is -150°C/-270°F.
World's most awesome beer cooler found.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

nmfree posted:

World's most awesome beer cooler found.

Nonsense, it would suck all the carbonation right out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
What idiot puts open beers in a cooler?