Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

cloudchamber posted:

It's a parody of an old kids show called Ludwig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ThMmLVWZo8

gently caress me, I thought I'd never seen this, but it's somehow ringing bells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It was good. Thank gently caress for that.

Hey everyone, Charlies back!

I suppose it was a more accessible, more BBC2 *wipe with a bigger budget.
Though I wonder if Adam Curtis was involved at all.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

That reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqmjWCk36C8
The absolute best part of that series, besides the barber of course

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Plymouth really should be described simply as a Wasteland more on TV. Because it is.

Excellent Brooker on telly at last.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007

Kin posted:

Nah, picking it up on iplayer should be fine. But it's still a pain in the arse.

I mean poo poo, it's not like we've loving forgot who Robert Burns is and anyone up at this age is old enough to know and subsequently not give a gently caress about the damned night.

Stick this poo poo on BBC Alba or whatever Highland Gaelic channel there is not the whole of Scotland.

gently caress you too. This is not happening lalalalalalalalalalala

You are just a loving idiot.

What does Burns have to do with;

a] Gaelic?
b]The highlands?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
How TV ruined your life wasn't as good as newswipe for me, didn't think much of the skits either. Newswipe and screenwipe seem a lot more cutting and less relaxed than this if that make sense.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

SeanBeansShako posted:

Plymouth really should be described simply as a Wasteland more on TV. Because it is.

I lost my poo poo at that bit, it was hilarious. Plymouth really is a wasteland, I live there. There was also a bit on newswipe, I can't remember exactly why but someone received a text saying 'PLYMOUTH NUKED LOL'.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

a] Gaelic?
b]The highlands?

And you're a moron?

I bet if you were to take a survey, you'd find that the highland/gaelic areas are a hell of a lot more traditional than almost all the other parts of the country.

Of course you could just pull your touchy little head out from your tightly squeezing arse cheeks and realise i was being facetious. :rolleyes:

Christ, you're like that guy in the Scotland LAN thread who had a stick up his arse because he didn't like people calling Dundee the shithole that it is.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Metrication posted:

How TV ruined your life wasn't as good as newswipe for me, didn't think much of the skits either. Newswipe and screenwipe seem a lot more cutting and less relaxed than this if that make sense.
I agree with this but it was still decent. And Charlie's hair does like miles better like this

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Paperhouse posted:

I agree with this but it was still decent. And Charlie's hair does like miles better like this

Oh yeah I'll still watch every single one. I was just assuming it would be as frantic as his other stuff.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

SeanBeansShako posted:

I actually saw a dead dog on the side of the road earlier...

:negative:

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ratjaculation posted:

I actually saw a dead dog on the side of the road earlier...

:negative:

did it have tyre tread on burst stomach?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, along with dicking around with iPlayer, they're hacking up the World Service.

Truly we can now say the Empire is dead.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

a] Gaelic?
b]The highlands?

What three things do only teuchters care about?

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
Why did people think that "How TV Ruined Your Life" would be shite? When has Brooker put a foot wrong? His part on 10 o'clock was fine, and there's only been one episode... Or is this to do with him retiring his Screen Burn column due to his ever-increasing media presence?

I enjoyed it anyway. Charlie must feel guilty about being paid all that money to tit about. Seems like he compensates by doing massive amounts of research digging through thousands of old ridiculous archived clips, which always pays off as far as I'm concerned.

[edited for sense]

slotbadger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 26, 2011

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Tuned into it on iplayer this morning. As far as i'm concerned it's just screenwipe with a different branding.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kin posted:

Tuned into it on iplayer this morning. As far as i'm concerned it's just screenwipe with a different branding.

Pretty much. Hopefully the next episode isn't just reusing a load of stuff from Newswipe and Screenwipe like this one was. I swear this is the third or forth time I've heard him wittering on about that QED episode and Threads.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

God forbid he repeat things he's already said if it's relevant to the subject he's discussing, or for the benefit of people who haven't heard him saying them before...

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Trin Tragula posted:

God forbid he repeat things he's already said if it's relevant to the subject he's discussing, or for the benefit of people who haven't heard him saying them before...

God forbid a bad post..

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Trin Tragula posted:

Well yes, or he could actually you know, put some loving effort in.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I wouldn't be surprised if this episode was the pilot given to BBC2, which would explain the revisitted topics.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goatface posted:

He's saying that it will be cheaper to build a standalone music/radio player than to integrate with iplayer. I'm not sure how that's meant to work, but it probably comes down to budget shuffling rather than actual savings.
Maybe they'll go back to calling it Listen Again. Save a few pounds on redoing the on air announcements.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

slotbadger posted:

Why was there any doubt that "How TV ruined your life" would be shite? When has Brooker put a foot long? His part on 10 o'clock was fine, and there's only been one episode... Or is this to do with him retiring his Screen Burn column due to his ever-increasing media presence?

You Have Been Watching was fairly poo poo. I only saw a few episodes and it was really dependent on who the guests were, but as with 10 O'Clock Live, it's exactly the type of rubbish he'd lay into on Screenwipe.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Trin Tragula posted:

He's reusing material. No need to be so defensive, sorry someone made a legitimate criticism of the great Charlie Brooker.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Newswipe and Screenwipe, so having something like those but with a different name is fine by me because it's what have been the most entertaining things he's done.

You Have Been Watching was good but only if the guests were right. Reginald D Hunter should have been a permanent guest!

I agree that 10 O'Clock Live is just.. ugh, what's it for? Why is it live? It suffers for it. There felt like no rapport between anybody and I just didn't see the purpose of the thing at all.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The skits were the worst bits on HTRYL, but it was good enough. Since he's become famous and met famous people I doubt he'll be doing much more screenwipe stuff where he calls reality tv show contestants twiglets with bulldog lovely dick hole faces or whichever. It's interesting maybe how he used to be an stay-at-home curmudgeon and as his fame builds he becomes less offensive, a little how he chastised reality contestants who after the programme has aired they become more 'normal'. Although I don't understand his hair.

I'm interested in the aspect of reality television, showing hyper-real situations through the television. I also see it interesting how a lot of our big comedies from the last decade (the office shot as a documentary, peep show as first person) incorporate this kind of faux-reality into their structure. Makes me wonder where it'll lead a little, especially with poo poo like 3D coming. It's nice to speculate at least. Maybe fahrenheit 451 will be a possibility yet.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mickolution posted:

You Have Been Watching was fairly poo poo. I only saw a few episodes and it was really dependent on who the guests were, but as with 10 O'Clock Live, it's exactly the type of rubbish he'd lay into on Screenwipe.

Haha, you have very poor taste if you think You Have Been Watching was poo poo. I do love the goons and their "X is popular now, so I no longer like X" bullsht though, as seen in the backlash against Brooker.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Haha, you have very poor taste if you think You Have Been Watching was poo poo. I do love the goons and their "X is popular now, so I no longer like X" bullsht though, as seen in the backlash against Brooker.

Yeah I really enjoyed Have you been watching, I don't understand the hate.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's not that at all, I just don't like it. Screenwipe is brilliant, Newswipe is very good and I'm looking forward to the new thing (doesn't air here until tonight). I like Dead Set and love Nathan Barley and TV Go Home. I'm a huge Brooker fan but just thought You Have Been Watching was poo poo. What I saw of it was lazy and he's capable of much better than that.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Just out of curiosity, what's the general feeling about that radio show what he did? So Wrong It's Right. I thought it was pretty funny!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

NaDy posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed Have you been watching, I don't understand the hate.

Me too, It is a lightly funded Channel 4 panel show. Even Charlie Brooker has bills to pay goons.

Also, it is amazing how crewcuts can make anyone look like a late Victorian thug about to stab you in the dark.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You keep doing this and it's a poo poo sixth form argument. Not all of a person's output is of a consistent quality throughout their career. None of the stuff most people here enjoy will ever be that popular anyway.

I prefer seeing Stewart Lee's live DVDs to the sketches on Comedy Vehicle, I guess it must be because I now hate him for having a show on terrestrial TV! Well, off to listen to Nirvana and complain my parents don't understand me. I hope all my goon peers approve of this post or I will have to unaccountably start pretending to hate it.

Psybro fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 26, 2011

slotbadger
Jul 19, 2007
hey deadhead - take a bite of peach.
YHBW was excellent and 10 o clock live is live and has had one episode. Bit early to dismiss it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Me too, It is a lightly funded Channel 4 panel show. Even Charlie Brooker has bills to pay goons.

Yeah, fair play to him. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Domalom
Mar 20, 2009

Gadzooks!
I think his explanation for 'selling' out and not continuing Screenburn, was that in the course of doing Dead Set he met many of the BB contestants he had previously insulted. And they were normal people.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I noticed as Screenwipe went on, he became a lot nicer. In the early ones, he was playing a miserable pantomime bastard, but was more of a "voice of reason" in the later ones. I think the latter was better and made for more interesting viewing.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Didn't Brooker say in his "Quitting Screen Burn" column that he'd just got tired of being so angry and caustic all the time? I don't blame him, it'd be hard to keep up that level of ire all the time and not get bothered by essentially being labelled 'grouchy hate filled bloke' by others in your industry. He does a good voice of reason, and a good rant, if he wants to chill out I think he's earned it. Considering how uncomfortable he is most of the time on TV and being looked at I respect the man for doing what he does.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Wootcannon posted:

What three things do only teuchters care about?

wifebeating, loving sheep, and not doing ANYTHING on a sunday?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Some Strange Flea posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the general feeling about that radio show what he did? So Wrong It's Right. I thought it was pretty funny!

It was an archetypal radio banter show. Ie a flimsy premise to get some comedians on to joke around a bit with each other. It was good, solid, predictable fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I really enjoyed How TV Ruined Your Life, but then I was expecting to! My Dad has a DVD full of old public safety ads, all the ones featured on the show are on that DVD, and my little brother went through a phase of watching it several times a day, so last night was a bit of a nostalgia trip too :3:

JIMMYYYYY!!