Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Decius posted:

Spent the last few days with listening to the audio books read by Stephen Fry. He makes the books even more enjoyable. He even managed to make ...and the Order of the Phoenix - nearly 30h of reading - sound interesting, hell of a job.

I've been listening to these at work and am loving them! I'm almost done, though, I started Half Blood Prince on Friday, so I've got most of that one and then the last one and then it will be over... and then what will I do? I will be bored at work again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SassySally posted:

This world is full of people who think that just watching the movie is equal to reading the book. When I went to see DH1 there was a whole family behind me making ridiculous comments like, "Don't follow that doe! It's gonna kill you!" Obviously NOT ridiculous if you haven't read the books... But, come on, they're kid books!! They aren't difficult to read! I'm not sure how someone could like the movies, though, without reading the books. I don't feel that they're good stories on their own. There's just too much missing.

Books are like, hard to read, why would you bother reading a book if they've made a movie out of it? :confused:

Decius posted:

Spent the last few days with listening to the audio books read by Stephen Fry. He makes the books even more enjoyable. He even managed to make ...and the Order of the Phoenix - nearly 30h of reading - sound interesting, hell of a job.

These are loving amazing, yes. I tried to listen to the Jim Dale ones but he's just so loving poo poo. Stephen Fry oozes charm, however.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
I got that special edition of Deathly Hallows signed by JK Rowling how much do y'all think it's worth

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

elf pr0n posted:

I got that special edition of Deathly Hallows signed by JK Rowling how much do y'all think it's worth
Looks like a lot of the US editions are going for around $200.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

elf pr0n posted:

Can you post a picture/are you sure it is not a fake?

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

reflir posted:

Can you post a picture/are you sure it is not a fake?

It's actually in Baltimore right now (I'm in Ohio) but I got it from Amazon's contest before the book was released, so I'm pretty sure it's legit.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

elf pr0n posted:

It's actually in Baltimore right now (I'm in Ohio) but I got it from Amazon's contest before the book was released, so I'm pretty sure it's legit.

Hey if you ever come back to bmore I'll buy you a lemoncake.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
After seeing the first Deathly Hallows installment, the Potter fever returned and I had to reread the last two books. There were some great details I'd forgotten, though I made the awesome mistake of being tipsy while finishing DH. Cue an uncontrollable torrent of baby tears from Dumbledore's backstory until the end.

Everything about the Stephen Fry audiobooks has been very positive, but this thread convinced me to finally hunt them down.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

Crisco Kid posted:

After seeing the first Deathly Hallows installment, the Potter fever returned and I had to reread the last two books. There were some great details I'd forgotten, though I made the awesome mistake of being tipsy while finishing DH. Cue an uncontrollable torrent of baby tears from Dumbledore's backstory until the end.

Everything about the Stephen Fry audiobooks has been very positive, but this thread convinced me to finally hunt them down.

I have all the audiobooks but all of them are Jim Dale. I guess I am going to have to try the others out... drat there goes another couple hundred to JK

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

njbeachbum posted:

I have all the audiobooks but all of them are Jim Dale. I guess I am going to have to try the others out... drat there goes another couple hundred to JK

The Stephen Fry version is night and day better compared to the Jim Dale reading. It's well worth it.

vegemitesandwhich
Nov 17, 2005
DiRt-y Girl

njbeachbum posted:

See if your local library has them available to borrow, that way you can hear it all without having to pay again!

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
Anyone else wondering why Harry has no grandparents? Or at least why he never gave it a thought? I'm pretty sure (after reading the books several times) that they're never mentioned.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Blight posted:

Anyone else wondering why Harry has no grandparents? Or at least why he never gave it a thought? I'm pretty sure (after reading the books several times) that they're never mentioned.

I do agree with this sentiment to some extent. I mean are obviously supposed to assume that the grandparents are dead, but it is so strange that they are never even mentioned.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Blight posted:

Now that you bring it up it's quite interesting that there are very few cases in HP of grandparents or direct predecessors. Even the Weasleys don't mention grandparents - just a great aunt.

In fact the only main character to have a grandparent mentioned and detailed in the novels is Voldemort

Maybe Rowling didn't know her grandparents or they were assholes which subtly influenced her work?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Paragon8 posted:

In fact the only main character to have a grandparent mentioned and detailed in the novels is Voldemort

Uh, Neville? :)

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
There might be something like "Our parents were SO proud the day Lily got her acceptance letter to Hogwarts." (Petunia) At least that would give any normal kid the curiousity to ask around a little.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Draco also talks about his grandfather getting dragon pox. Also Harry sees a lot of family members in the Mirror of Erised, including an old man with knobby knees or something, maybe that's one of his grandfathers?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'd assume that Harry's grandparents were dead before the whole series started, because I doubt they would have been cool with how Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia were treating their other grandson, especially the orphaned son of a (presumably) beloved daughter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Paragon8 posted:

Now that you bring it up it's quite interesting that there are very few cases in HP of grandparents or direct predecessors. Even the Weasleys don't mention grandparents - just a great aunt.

Maybe Rowling didn't know her grandparents or they were assholes which subtly influenced her work?

Neville lives with his grandma doesn't he?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Didn't they mention that his fathers parents where old when they had him as for his moms they where never mentioned.

Also ya Neville does and when she shows up its an awesome scene.

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

This might have been in the movies so I dont consider them "canon" but I think Sirius once mentioned spending a lot of time with the Potters when he couldn't handle being at "Casa De Pure Blood" any more.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011

njbeachbum posted:

This might have been in the movies so I dont consider them "canon" but I think Sirius once mentioned spending a lot of time with the Potters when he couldn't handle being at "Casa De Pure Blood" any more.

That is true. Still weird that Harry didn't ask Sirius about them though :p

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

IRQ posted:

Neville lives with his grandma doesn't he?

Knew I forgot someone.

Parents/grandparents in YA seem to be handled weirdly in general. Everyone has a weird living situation.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
One mention of grandparents and there are 12 new posts. I really wish there were more HP books coming out.

At least we've got the (hopefully) awesome last movie still to come.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

scr0llwheel posted:

One mention of grandparents and there are 12 new posts. I really wish there were more HP books coming out.

At least we've got the (hopefully) awesome last movie still to come.

Well it can't get much more boring than the *spend 20 minutes just starting at the screen pretending I'm camping while posting this* horrible first half of the last movie.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
I can't wait to see the battle of Hogwarts.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm not sure anything in part two will match the awkward hilarity of naked spirit Harry and Hermione making out when they popped the horcrux.

Also a random thought rattled into my head. Didn't the headlight on Hagrid's motorcyle work? With magic's loathing of such fancy things as electrons this strikes me as weird.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I want to know why Sirius's/Hagrid's flying motorcycle was considered a-ok but Mr. Weasley's flying car could have gotten him thrown into Azkaban.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Blight posted:

I can't wait to see the battle of Hogwarts.

The scene with McGonagall leading an army of animated school furniture and suits of armor had better be in the final movie or I'm going to get stabby Avada Kedavra-ing.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

daggerdragon posted:

The scene with McGonagall leading an army of animated school furniture and suits of armor had better be in the final movie or I'm going to get stabby Avada Kedavra-ing.

When I read that part I thought, "The movie had better do this right"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aravenna posted:

I want to know why Sirius's/Hagrid's flying motorcycle was considered a-ok but Mr. Weasley's flying car could have gotten him thrown into Azkaban.

Sirius never seemed to me a guy who would give anything about rules. Also, rich, pure-blood family name might get some traction with Magic-cops and Magic traffic court too. Or he bribed some MoM guys to get a license.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
All right, this is everal months late, but to the guy who was complaining about the cardboard box in GoF - the Muggle Studies teacher had procured it for her class. Then she stored it in a random broom closet.

edit: If the encyclopedia thing ever does get written, I hope JK Rowling mentions a bit more about the dementors, because I don't really think they were explored enough in the books. They're mentioned as being furious about certain things, or the Ministry orders them to do various tasks. So... can they talk?

In fact, what the gently caress is a dementor, anyway? Were they once human? Are they abortive attempts at fabricating human life without a soul? Why couldn't Harry just find some dementors terrorizing Muggles, force them into slavery under threat of Patronus, and have them sniff out bits of Voldemort's soul like hunting dogs? Then they could just eat the Horcruxes. It's not Voldemort has ever practiced or even heard of a Patronus in his life.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 2, 2011

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cobweb Heart posted:

All right, this is everal months late, but to the guy who was complaining about the cardboard box in GoF - the Muggle Studies teacher had procured it for her class. Then she stored it in a random broom closet.

edit: If the encyclopedia thing ever does get written, I hope JK Rowling mentions a bit more about the dementors, because I don't really think they were explored enough in the books. They're mentioned as being furious about certain things, or the Ministry orders them to do various tasks. So... can they talk?

In fact, what the gently caress is a dementor, anyway? Were they once human? Are they abortive attempts at fabricating human life without a soul? Why couldn't Harry just find some dementors terrorizing Muggles, force them into slavery under threat of Patronus, and have them sniff out bits of Voldemort's soul like hunting dogs? Then they could just eat the Horcruxes. It's not Voldemort has ever practiced or even heard of a Patronus in his life.

Worse, it was said both that they were multiplying due to the terror and fear that was spreading after book six and yet one of the few established things about them is they can't be destroyed. So you've got an ever increasing number of soul sucking monsters that can barely be held off by a fraction of a fraction of the human population. That's the real threat in these books, screw Voldemort the Dementors should be causing a near apocalypse.

Blight
Jan 17, 2011
My guesses are that dementors follow the highest authority at the moment, whomever that would be. I doubt they would follow Harry, specially after Voldemort came back. Dementors follow Voldemort because they want it to be more fear and despair in the world, if they'd follow the good side, they would lose what they want. If that made any sense.

But I would love to know more about them too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I'd love to know what irresponsible rear end in a top hat thought creating the dementors would be a good idea in the first place.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

IRQ posted:

I'd love to know what irresponsible rear end in a top hat thought creating the dementors would be a good idea in the first place.

Did she say they were created and not natural? Even if they were created, it was probably by a dark lord of somesuch.

I love dark lords, completely and 100% unironically or whatever it is. No sarcasm. It is refreshing to see a villain who is a complete shitbag because he is a shitbag. In series with magic it works particularly well because magic does these things to people.

Create monstrous hooded demons that feed on despair and suck out souls? That poo poo sounds like fun, why the hell not. I am god, I create life. These fuckers can breed and make it go chilly in June. gently caress me, this is awesome.

The only problem I had with the dark lord in Harry Potter was that while JKR tried to say Riddle had a choice, everything she wrote made it seem he was born evil. Even if one wasn't completely wrong to put into a childrens book (I am not going to debate whether people are born evil, but either way it is not a message for a childrens book) You can't have it both ways.

The sad thing? So loving simple to avoid its criminal. Dumbledore meets Tom, who is independant but otherwise normal. No torture of little kids. Tom follows path into stronger magics, likes the power. Becomes wizard hitler.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I assumed they were created to be guards at Azkaban, but even if they weren't, what irresponsible rear end in a top hat figured it was a good idea to put the soul sucking fear demons in charge of guarding the wizard prison?

I guess you're right and it was just when the wizard community was run by some other wizard Hitler. It always bugged me that they were just totally cool with letting those things roam free.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

IRQ posted:

I guess you're right and it was just when the wizard community was run by some other wizard Hitler. It always bugged me that they were just totally cool with letting those things roam free.

Well, disregarding the order of the phoenix, Patonuses are difficult to conjure and almost completely ineffective against large numbers of dementors. Maybe (most likely) you're made of sterner stuff than me, but an unkillable demon I can't defend myself against that can do things to me that are worse than death? That dude gets a free pass.

Keeping them in prison is a smart move, if not completely sadistic and hosed up. Keeps them happy for the most part, so long as you've got criminals to send 'em.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MrFlibble posted:

The only problem I had with the dark lord in Harry Potter was that while JKR tried to say Riddle had a choice, everything she wrote made it seem he was born evil. Even if one wasn't completely wrong to put into a childrens book (I am not going to debate whether people are born evil, but either way it is not a message for a childrens book) You can't have it both ways.

The sad thing? So loving simple to avoid its criminal. Dumbledore meets Tom, who is independant but otherwise normal. No torture of little kids. Tom follows path into stronger magics, likes the power. Becomes wizard hitler.

I think Rowling was trying to create a parallel "lovely as hell childhood" to Harry's, and show that Voldemort reacted differently and made different choices. After all, Harry did a lot of things with magic that were "over the line" -- blowing up his aunt, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think Rowling was trying to create a parallel "lovely as hell childhood" to Harry's, and show that Voldemort reacted differently and made different choices. After all, Harry did a lot of things with magic that were "over the line" -- blowing up his aunt, etc.

I see your point, but I disagree. I remember reading that the matron or carers at the orphanage always regarded Tom coldly, they said he was different. When dumbledore met him the first time, that kid was not an eleven year old who had a choice in anything, not a single path that led anywhere but prickhole captiol.

It wouldn't bother me much if it outright stated something like he used magic and it hosed him up. In fact on its own the pensieve section is downright creepy sociopath, dark lord in training stuff. But in the books we meet the young Tom Riddle directly after spending time with his implied inbred mother and snobby father. I'm not sure I can be convinced there isn't a horrible message there lurking under the surface.

• Locked thread