Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tomato Soup posted:

The case issues are annoying because I just picked up a K3 to replace my broken K2 and I loved the official case and I'm just so used to tucking my hand under the strap for a better hold. :( Don't really want a lighted one due to the price/bulk.

Are there any non-Amazon cases that are hinged and aren't the designer ones? I don't really like the straps thing that M-Edge uses and I can't really afford to drop $100 on a case. I can live without the strap, but I really liked the hinge system since I don't plan on taking it out of the case.

While I was looking at cases, Best Buy seemed to have ones that were 40-50 bucks, no idea on the quality though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

Murodese posted:

e; actually I can modify it slightly so that it's easily portable but I have no idea how the GPL works and whether I can repackage mangle code :v:

I'm no expert, but I think with GPL you're free to modify and the release and repackage it as you like. The only conditions are that the release has to include a copyright notice (yours as well as any mentioned in the original source you're modifying), a text copy of the GPL, and you have to make the source code available.

You can find details here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Jimlad posted:

I'm no expert, but I think with GPL you're free to modify and the release and repackage it as you like. The only conditions are that the release has to include a copyright notice (yours as well as any mentioned in the original source you're modifying), a text copy of the GPL, and you have to make the source code available.

You can find details here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

Yeah I had a quick look at that before but I've been programming most of the day and my eyes glazed supremely over it. I've basically pulled the guts out of mangle to remove Qt from it and noted both the original notices at the top of the files as well as added that I've modified them.

Pretty happy with it so far, works on pretty much any manga series from mangatraders that I've thrown at it and mangle's image manipulation makes it look pretty good (especially compared to calibre, which mangles (:v:) it)

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
What I would really like to see is the ability to load whole series into Mangle, so that it automatically reads subfolders with the volumes in them, or something like that.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have the Speck Dust Jacket case, and it's really, really nice. Feels like a nice old leather book when its closed, and when it's open there's a stand on the back that pops out so you can stand the Kindle + case up while you're sitting at a desk or table or something.

I think it was $35 or so. Worth it.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Hantama posted:

What I would really like to see is the ability to load whole series into Mangle, so that it automatically reads subfolders with the volumes in them, or something like that.

I can add this relatively easily to my abomination, but there's no real standard of organisation to most manga downloads. The closest I've seen are mangatraders, where you end up with a bunch of v01 c01-4 v02 c07-9 kind of stuff :v:

I'll have a play. Works fine. Can now pull down an entire series and convert the whole thing as well, you just need to supply the series id off MangaTraders :3:

e; Does the picture viewer on a kindle handle folders very well? ie. would putting poo poo in One Piece/*whole bunch of chapter folders* work appropriately to group by series?

Murodese fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 26, 2011

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004
Ended up picking up a Kobo from a Chapters store locally. Turns out my ~*~beautifully formatted~*~ PDF of Spook Country doesn't play as nice on an actual ereader. Text is too small, and I can only zoom in, not alter the font size, which makes it so I have to scroll down once on each page. Not the biggest of deals.

Other than that I'm quite happy with it so far. I'll need to get a case, as I'm terrified if scratching it, but the screen is wonderfully readable. Didn't want to do anything but read books on it, so it's pretty much perfect.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Amazon have started a service called "Kindle Singles" - they're like short stories, but not fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/b/?&node=2486013011

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Murodese posted:

e; Does the picture viewer on a kindle handle folders very well? ie. would putting poo poo in One Piece/*whole bunch of chapter folders* work appropriately to group by series?

It doesn't particularly like having folders of pictures inside other folders, if you do that and have say

One Piece
\- Issue one
|- Issue two

etc, you'll have a "book" called One Piece on the menu for books and it'll show all the pictures from the first folder, and then the pictures from the next folder, and so on.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

fishmech posted:

It doesn't particularly like having folders of pictures inside other folders, if you do that and have say

One Piece
\- Issue one
|- Issue two

etc, you'll have a "book" called One Piece on the menu for books and it'll show all the pictures from the first folder, and then the pictures from the next folder, and so on.

So would it be better to have it laid out like that or in multiple top-level One Piece v1 v2 etc folders?

I'd look myself but cursed Australia Day has delayed my kindle delivery, sorry :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Murodese posted:

So would it be better to have it laid out like that or in multiple top-level One Piece v1 v2 etc folders?

I'd look myself but cursed Australia Day has delayed my kindle delivery, sorry :(

Well, it saves your place as you read. So if you're mostly interested in reading a series through, might as well leave it all together.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

The Aphasian posted:

I've noticed it only works if I go to My Computer and eject it via the drives list, as fordan says. Calibre's eject doesn't work.

The sys tray icon for ejecting hardware doesn't work either. You have to do it through My Computer for some weird reason (at least on Windows 7).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Monkeyseesaw posted:

The sys tray icon for ejecting hardware doesn't work either. You have to do it through My Computer for some weird reason (at least on Windows 7).

That's strange, on my Windows 7 laptop ejecting from the tray icon works fine (I'm running 64 bit Ultimate by the way).

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

That's strange, on my Windows 7 laptop ejecting from the tray icon works fine (I'm running 64 bit Ultimate by the way).

64 bit Professional here. The systray icon will say it successfully ejected the device but the device never gets the message and stays in "i'm being used oh god don't unplug me" mode. This is true not just of my Kindle but other usb devices like external harddrives.

Maybe it's a driver issue more than an OS issue. But ejecting from My Computer always works in my experience.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Nookcolor 1.1 update has been released, get it from the support page if you don't want to wait for OTA. Looks to be performance and bug fixes (+pinch to zoom in the browser).

Notes-

NOOKcolor Ver1.1.0 update contains enhancements to improve the overall performance, including:

Improved performance of Wi-Fi connectivity, Home and Shop.
Ability to pinch and zoom in browser.
Enhanced reading experience for magazines and children's books.
Access helpful NOOKcolor related information and support tips on the new default browser home page.
Reduce mistyped passwords with "show password" option during registration and Wi-Fi set up.
Easily identify NOOK kids Read To Me™ books with a new text banner next to the titles in Shop.
General bug fixes and performance improvements.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 26, 2011

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Nookcolor 1.1 update has been released, get it from the support page if you don't want to wait for OTA. Looks to be performance and bug fixes (+pinch to zoom in the browser).

Notes-

NOOKcolor Ver1.1.0 update contains enhancements to improve the overall performance, including:

Improved performance of Wi-Fi connectivity, Home and Shop.
Ability to pinch and zoom in browser.
Enhanced reading experience for magazines and children's books.
Access helpful NOOKcolor related information and support tips on the new default browser home page.
Reduce mistyped passwords with "show password" option during registration and Wi-Fi set up.
Easily identify NOOK kids Read To Me™ books with a new text banner next to the titles in Shop.
General bug fixes and performance improvements.

Is this the update that also makes it Android 2.2?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

theBeaz posted:

Is this the update that also makes it Android 2.2?

From what I understand, it's a "behind the scenes" update that prepares the NC for the marketplace (it allows developers to load their apps and test them). I have no idea if it's 2.2 or not.

Edit: looks like it's not 2.2, which is scheduled for next month.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 26, 2011

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Edit: looks like it's not 2.2, which is scheduled for next month.
Link? I'm foaming at the mouth for this info.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

theBeaz posted:

Link? I'm foaming at the mouth for this info.

From XDA:

quote:

Another interesting development from the Nook Developer forum.
This is what Ted Patrick, the community manager, wrote regarding timelines -

1. Enable developer mode in 1.1 and new SDK – Jan 2011 <------*This is today's update*
2. Create ingestion, approval, merchant support for developer with backend systems – Feb 2011
3. Deliver Android 2.2+ Flash/AIR support – Feb 2011
4. Launch application support on NOOKcolor – March 2011

This seems to suggest that –

1. In January 2011, we’ll see Nook Dev team add the ability to test Nook Color Apps on the Nook Color. This should really help.
2. In February 2011, developers will be able to upload their apps for testing. Also, backend systems and the store pages will be setup.
3. In March 2011, the first Nook Color apps will come out.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm trying to decide if I should root my nook color today. Obviously an update would reverse the root right? I'd have to wait for them to figure that out again.

The only thing I'm kind of concerned about is that I like the way my books sit on the dock on screen and since I really only use it to read books, should I even bother rooting it. I do have the scott pilgrim trades that I'd like to read but other than that, what's the big advantage?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Daric posted:

I'm trying to decide if I should root my nook color today. Obviously an update would reverse the root right? I'd have to wait for them to figure that out again.

The only thing I'm kind of concerned about is that I like the way my books sit on the dock on screen and since I really only use it to read books, should I even bother rooting it. I do have the scott pilgrim trades that I'd like to read but other than that, what's the big advantage?

You can always try one of those bootable SD cards. You can have Froyo run off an SD card, and once you take that out, you'll be back to stock. Kind of like a live CD, but editable.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Daric posted:

If you bought it because you're a gadget geek, and wanted a cheap android tablet, root it. If you bought it because you wanted a color ebook reader with some nice extra functionality (and you don't have a pressing need to play Angry Birds right this instant), don't bother.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone use the Magic Wand portable scanner?

I keep seeing pretty good reviews, and I have quite a few books I would love to put in digital form. Haven't seen a single god damned thing about paperback sized scans though.

Boba Fettuccine
Jun 7, 2008

Daric posted:

I'm in the same boat, buddy, except for me it's Y the Last Man and The Walking Dead trades. Rooting looks awesome, and I love to mod gadgets, but it looks like most of the functionality rooting provides will be out in later NC updates (I suppose its all rumored at this point.)

Is there any possibility that future Nook Color updates could brick a rooted NC? I suppose that's the one thing I'm hesitant about since the Nook Color updates automatically. I do want a more fully function tablet, but not at the expense of having a $250 paper weight.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Boba Fettuccine posted:

Is there any possibility that future Nook Color updates could brick a rooted NC? I suppose that's the one thing I'm hesitant about since the Nook Color updates automatically. I do want a more fully function tablet, but not at the expense of having a $250 paper weight.

Possibility, sure. Nobody can say for sure but the amazing negative feedback they'd get even if it happened accidentally would be HUGE.

Likelihood? Almost none. Worst case, you keep up with the community and you don't miss the "holy poo poo nookcolor update 1.5 erases the device and bricks a rooted nookcolor" posting, followed by the modding community throwing out a patch to forcibly disable updates from BN permanently. It's not a lovely idea to keep it off wi-fi unless you're actively using the connection if you're paranoid.

They'd have to remove the SD Card booting functionality in a patch/firmware, otherwise you'll always be able to boot off a card and re-flash the internal memory in other words. Not much to worry about, and the incentive for BN to break root and brick devices is almost nil.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Boba Fettuccine posted:

I'm in the same boat, buddy, except for me it's Y the Last Man and The Walking Dead trades. Rooting looks awesome, and I love to mod gadgets, but it looks like most of the functionality rooting provides will be out in later NC updates (I suppose its all rumored at this point.)

Yeah really the only thing I would root for would be Android Comic Viewer. I can already play videos on it and read books, so that's the only other thing I'm looking for.

That being said, I'm sure it'll be added either next month or March so I figure I can wait.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Daric posted:

Yeah really the only thing I would root for would be Android Comic Viewer. I can already play videos on it and read books, so that's the only other thing I'm looking for.

I have personally found Perfect Viewer to be superior on a NookColor. ACV wouldn't open some files for me for no loving reason AT ALL, PV did.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I just saw this post on Lifehacker:

http://lifehacker.com/5744899/briss-trims-pdfs-to-make-them-more-readable-on-your-e+reader

It's a program designed to crop PDFs so that they'll fit better on an eReader. I don't use many PDFs, so I'm not going to test it, but someone might find it useful.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

anyone getting the NookColor update and know if it busts root or not?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I was kicking around the idea of buying a new Kindle. Does anybody know of a good sleeve case for it? I'm looking for something cheap that can protect the screen and easily be removed when I'm using the Kindle. I saw a few on Amazon but they want $30 for them.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
How are the e-ink type color displays coming along? Mirasol seems interesting, they're trying to make it fast enough for video. But is this stuff months or years away?

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST

Sporadic posted:

I was kicking around the idea of buying a new Kindle. Does anybody know of a good sleeve case for it? I'm looking for something cheap that can protect the screen and easily be removed when I'm using the Kindle. I saw a few on Amazon but they want $30 for them.

Pretty much. I got the black Built sleeve and it works great. But it should for $30.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

teraflame posted:

How are the e-ink type color displays coming along? Mirasol seems interesting, they're trying to make it fast enough for video. But is this stuff months or years away?

I can't be the only one who thinks that using e-ink for video defeats the purpose of e-ink?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Has anyone in Australia bought a Kindle? I just did but am growing increasingly concerned it was a worthless purchase, since I've been browsing the Kindle store for titles I want once it arrives (nothing obscure; Infinite Jest, Foucault's Pendulum) and it's telling me they're not available in Australia. Is this a common phenomenon?

Edit: alright, more and more titles that I look for aren't available. This looks terrible and like a waste of money. I'd best get ready to return it.

Edit 2: alright, apparently there's a super easy work around and you just change your address to a US address. Even though your billing address is still Australian... Surely that won't last long.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 28, 2011

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Sporadic posted:

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004539QAI/

While that's a UK link, there's probably something similar on US Amazon I'd guess.

Its fine for the money, and for the fact that I only need something to hold the Kindle on the occasion that its going somewhere in a bag. The case is a tight fit, but does the job. It also satisfies my "not spending more than 10% of the cost of something on a case to keep it in" rule.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sporadic posted:

I'm pretty happy with the Belkin sleeve I got at Target, but it's also $30 so no help there if price was an issue.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Centipeed posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks that using e-ink for video defeats the purpose of e-ink?

Yes, in a sense it does. But it has some uses, like allowing all these mega-ultra-all-in-1 devices to use eInk instead of LCD.. so users can read with the standard e-ink benefits, but also watch their youtube crap and play games on the side.

I personally wouldn't buy one. Here's hoping Amazon sticks with it's trend of keeping the Kindle primarily a reader and not an iPad clone.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FidgetyRat posted:

Yes, in a sense it does. But it has some uses, like allowing all these mega-ultra-all-in-1 devices to use eInk instead of LCD.. so users can read with the standard e-ink benefits, but also watch their youtube crap and play games on the side.

I personally wouldn't buy one. Here's hoping Amazon sticks with it's trend of keeping the Kindle primarily a reader and not an iPad clone.
Amazon rolling its own Android store means only one thing and you know what that is.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Neurosis posted:

Has anyone in Australia bought a Kindle? I just did but am growing increasingly concerned it was a worthless purchase, since I've been browsing the Kindle store for titles I want once it arrives (nothing obscure; Infinite Jest, Foucault's Pendulum) and it's telling me they're not available in Australia. Is this a common phenomenon?

Edit: alright, more and more titles that I look for aren't available. This looks terrible and like a waste of money. I'd best get ready to return it.

Edit 2: alright, apparently there's a super easy work around and you just change your address to a US address. Even though your billing address is still Australian... Surely that won't last long.

Sure, mine arrived today. You can buy your books from elsewhere and use Calibre to convert them, in most instances. I'm more than happy with mine so far :3:

e; speaking of which, is there anywhere in Australia to get a decent kindle case? I'm guessing no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

My Kindle3 arrived today so this script is finally ready.

MangaTraders Scraping Script

What does it do?

Supply it with either a list of rss feeds or a specific manga id off MangaTraders and it will grab, convert and optionally copy the lot to your device. Or store it in a working directory for you to do stuff with. Use either a cronjob or the windows task scheduler to get it to check your feeds regularly.

Does it only work with the Kindle?

Well, it converts it to a size and color palette appropriate for a K3. So anything similar to that should work fine. You can change the folder it saves to in the config (for kindles it's /pictures).

Why is this better than using Calibre?

For one, it's console based and easily automated (as is Calibre to an extent), but it's also based off Mangle, which makes things look much, much prettier than Calibre's comic book converter. Much prettier. It can also grab an entire manga series (I tried this once with REDACTED, it worked well and that's a poo poo-ton of chapters).

My kindle is filled with chapter folders *gumble*

Sorry! You can either read chapter to chapter (in the case of new chapters, I guess) or entire series by choosing the appropriate entry. Delete the chapter out of your nominated folder from your Kindle when you're finished.

Everything's downloading really loving slowly.

MangaTrader's servers are pretty weak and their load balancer tends to balance loads by putting everything on the first two servers and leaving the fourth and fifth unused. On top of that, there's a single-file download limit, so I can't even thread downloads. That said, they do a fantastic job and if you're regularly ripping large series' I'd suggest kicking in some money towards their donation totals.

Something went horribly wrong!

Add --verbose to the command line and paste the result. If it's blocking at retrieving the content-type, welp :v: I'm guessing their servers are pretty awful and sometimes choose to just drop requests. If it loops trying to retrieve, kill it.

Usage:

mangatraders --help

It's pretty self-explanatory. To grab a whole series, search for it on MT and note the number in the url, then run:

mangatraders --manga id --copy

--copy copies the files to your device once it's finished. Explore settings.conf to add your username, password and desired folders. To check feeds, run:

mangatraders --feeds --copy

Screenshots

(screenshots removed due to big whining goons)

I was worried REDACTED might look awful on a kindle because there's a tonne of small text, but it's actually quite readable and the drawing looks really nice :3:

Downloads

Executable + Source: http://www.multiupload.com/PF75QMG4F2

lol manga nerd

i don't care it's useful for me gently caress yall :derp:

Murodese fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 5, 2011