Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Poing posted:

What idiot puts open beers in a cooler?

Through the can/bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sponge! posted:

Through the can/bottle.

Ho boy. This seems like a matter of fact, assured statement that gas leaks through aluminium at high enough pressure differential.

Men! To search engine!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ApathyGifted posted:

"We don't run the tunnel more than about 6 seconds at a time because otherwise you start sucking the air out of the building." (Same wind tunnel.)
Wonder how many postdocs they asphyxiated before figuring it out.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Ola posted:

Ho boy. This seems like a matter of fact, assured statement that gas leaks through aluminium at high enough pressure differential.

Men! To search engine!
Something as crazy as a ruptured can, perhaps?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Revolvyerom posted:

Something as crazy as a ruptured can, perhaps?

Yes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I think a can of soda would stay intact in a vacuum. Only 14 PSI delta, no big deal. It's even got an expansion sphere at the bottom. I submit that the can would survive until it struck the car on the other side of the parking lot, across the train tracks.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Ola posted:

I think a can of soda would stay intact in a vacuum. Only 14 PSI delta, no big deal. It's even got an expansion sphere at the bottom. I submit that the can would survive until it struck the car on the other side of the parking lot, across the train tracks.
Someone here has a vacuum pump and can try this. PLEASE?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

I think a can of soda would stay intact in a vacuum. Only 14 PSI delta, no big deal.

Is this flat soda?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It will be.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Psssch it doesn't matter what number you put on top! 14.7/0 = 1/0

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Except the pressure will never be zero, it will only approach zero. At a certain point, hydrogen will diffuse through the walls of the vacuum chamber, making it impossible to go any lower.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
What? Are you telling me that we can't get all those atoms out of the way?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If that video is any indicator though, the Dutch are a little behind us in tractor awesomeness. I mean, a single i6 engine? Ours have like multiple v8s on every tractor. Get your poo poo together, Europe.

It's an American tractor out of SE Michigan :ssh:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Poing posted:

What? Are you telling me that we can't get all those atoms out of the way?

Yup. As the pressure drops below a certain point, more hydrogen will diffuse through the walls of the chamber until it reaches an equilibrium point where the pump is using all its power just to maintain the vacuum.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Hydrogen sounds like a real dick. Not getting invited to my superbowl party, that's for sure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Ola posted:

Just FYI, we for the most part don't haul soda, beer, potato chips, ice cream over I-70, because they like to explode at about 12,000 feet in the tunnel.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Just FYI, we for the most part don't haul soda, beer, potato chips, ice cream over I-70, because they like to explode at about 12,000 feet in the tunnel.

I AM VINDICATED!

:science: Potato chips are packaged in an inert atmosphere of dry nitrogen to prevent rancidity and prolong shelf life.

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

Ice cream explodes at 12,000 feet? Yeah no.

I have been to ski resorts at 12,000 feet and consumed unexploded soda out of a can.

Also to the 14.7/0 dude, its not the ratio, its the pressure difference. Otherwise, no spacecraft would survive. The lunar module had some areas that were 0.1mm thick.

The pressure inside a soda can is 25-75 psig.

A 1994 study found the burst pressure to be > 90psig.

http://www.sciamdigital.com/index.cfm?fa=Products.ViewIssuePreview&ARTICLEID_CHAR=128474FF-87A9-4FE6-989F-690128A351C

In the event that you find a can at 12,000 feet that has burst, it is likely due to a combination of vibration and/or heat which increases the internal pressure. The wind tunnel wouldn't have that problem, particularly the temperature issue.

:science:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Are cans the same as they were in 1994? I wouldn't be surprised if they're thinner and made from a different alloy. I have no idea, I just really want someone to throw a soda can into a vacuum.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
If I remember something a friend from Alcoa told me there's about half as much material in a can today.

(In the last 20-30 years or something, not since '94)

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 28, 2011

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

greenman100 posted:

Ice cream explodes at 12,000 feet? Yeah no.

Stop tarding out.

If packaged at point A (Bakersfield) and Driven to Denver across I-70 you'll end up with a loving mess.

But yeah, Ice Cream does has issues, and is routed oddly. Same with Bread, Chips and soda.

Companies don't route change that much for shits and giggles.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
The NCSU Supersonic Wind Tunnel: So awesome it immediately derails any topic of conversation.

Coincidentally the first lab we did for my Aerospace Structures class was attaching a strain gauge to a 12 oz can, then measuring the change in strain when the can was opened to determine what the internal pressure was. Lab clean-up involved drinking the beverage you brought.

Guess how many people brought beer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

That is absolute nonsense. The temps might get very low there, freezing soda makes the can burst easily. The pressure at 12,000 is about 7 psi lower than the surface, that's nothing. edit: actually closer to 5 according to this table

Loads of people live at or above 12,000 feet, does Coca Cola have its own low pressure production line to serve this market? No. Airliner cabins are at 8,000 feet, you'd think they have some warning about being that close to exploding cans. Yet even in the event of a cabin depressurization, the galley remains unexploded.

quote:

Specifically, a refrigerated can of 7UP® contains 210 kPa of pressure. On the other hand, Pepsi-Cola® contains 276 kPa at approximately 16 °C. Lastly, a can of Coca-Cola Classic® at 34 °C has an internal pressure of approximately 380 kPa. These numbers came from employees of the soft drink companies themselves.

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2000/SeemaMeraj.shtml

That's 170 kPa or 24 psi difference between 7UP and Coke Classic...all sold in the same can. Wind tunnel beer cooler theory vindicated, spin up the fans ApathyGifted.

Ola fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 28, 2011

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

i had a can of Cambells soup detonate in my bag on a flight from melbourne to Adelaide- Little Focker shitbox plane thing, we went up to about 9-10,000 feet and the fucker exploded all through my fire gear.

Flight Adelaide to Melbourne (for the big fires) was fine because we were in a real aircraft (Boeing 767), not a little buzz box that we had to have luggage on the seat to balance the bloody thing so it could take off!

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
May be its got to do with the vibrations causing the pressure to increase inside the can?
I` had a can of rootbeer explode on me on Yonge St. in Toronto. I suspect it was the shaking from the lovely suspension in the truck I was driving combined with the heat from it sitting over the defroster, that was on for the majority of the drive. The can was bulged out and then the fuckin top blew off. Luckily the top was facing away from me.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

ApathyGifted posted:

The NCSU Supersonic Wind Tunnel: So awesome it immediately derails any topic of conversation.

Coincidentally the first lab we did for my Aerospace Structures class was attaching a strain gauge to a 12 oz can, then measuring the change in strain when the can was opened to determine what the internal pressure was. Lab clean-up involved drinking the beverage you brought.

Guess how many people brought beer.

Come play with our toys sometime. :c00l:

(I miss uni :()

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Ola posted:

That is absolute nonsense.

Then I guess I didn't see the claims forms for 5 trailers of potato chips that blew up when someone misrouted them from the Bakersfield plant to Denver (Aurora)

Ola posted:

Loads of people live at or above 12,000 feet, does Coca Cola have its own low pressure production line to serve this market?

SWIRE does have production plants in different areas. So yes, they do.

Ferremit posted:

i had a can of Cambells soup detonate in my bag on a flight from melbourne to Adelaide- Little Focker shitbox plane thing, we went up to about 9-10,000 feet and the fucker exploded all through my fire gear.

No that didn't happen you see because....

scapulataf posted:

May be its got to do with the vibrations causing the pressure to increase inside the can?

Good question.

Let's see, major temp change?

Look all you book smart motherfuckers. They don't send this poo poo over I-70 for a loving reason, has nothing to do with weight, it has to deal with pressure. Ice Cream loving swells in the package, potato chips gets cranky, Ho-Hos and Twinkles become God Like in size and burst through. Maybe Soda bleeds the CO2 out of the liguid, the air bubbles in ice cream get mad, and the fillings of Twinkles leak out the rear end end.

Don't tell me that it's another loving magical reason that we don't take this poo poo across I-70. Maybe there is another loving reason.

I bet this fucker lives in that Shithole Vale and attacks Soda and Potato Chip trucks.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Failures.

Choo choo

And an unrelated one I found, also from a train:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

InterceptorV8 posted:

Then I guess I didn't see the claims forms for 5 trailers of potato chips that blew up when someone misrouted them from the Bakersfield plant to Denver (Aurora)

SWIRE does have production plants in different areas. So yes, they do.

No that didn't happen you see because....

Good question.

Let's see, major temp change?

Look all you book smart motherfuckers. They don't send this poo poo over I-70 for a loving reason, has nothing to do with weight, it has to deal with pressure. Ice Cream loving swells in the package, potato chips gets cranky, Ho-Hos and Twinkles become God Like in size and burst through. Maybe Soda bleeds the CO2 out of the liguid, the air bubbles in ice cream get mad, and the fillings of Twinkles leak out the rear end end.

Don't tell me that it's another loving magical reason that we don't take this poo poo across I-70. Maybe there is another loving reason.

I bet this fucker lives in that Shithole Vale and attacks Soda and Potato Chip trucks.

Maybe you truckers get Nitrogen Narcosis at high altitudes and eat all of it on the way you tubby fucks.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Muffinpox posted:

Maybe you truckers get Nitrogen Narcosis at high altitudes and eat all of it on the way you tubby fucks.

That's weightist you skinny girl pants wearing prettyboy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aerated ice cream expanding, certainly. Chip bags which you can pop open with one hand anyway, no problem seeing that. Aluminum soda cans, no.

Some pressure differential content!

This is a familiar sight to many, the Aloha convertible.

Metal fatigue weakened skin, one stewardess got sucked out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

Think this one has been posted before, demo of what can happen when not following procedures:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz95_VvTxZM

Now, for something truly horrible, there's not much compared to the Byford Dolphin accident. Thankfully I suppose, the pictures from the investigation does not seem to have made it to the internet.

Dx are saturation divers working in the North Sea. They are on the surface inside a pressure chamber. This is so they can go down and work at 90 meters depth every day without waiting for decompression between dives in the diving bell. (they decompress for many days after their shift) Their bodies are saturated at 9 atmospheres, hence the term saturation diving. So when one of the tenders accidentally (this is still disputed) loosened the mechanism holding the bell, you might see what's coming. Now, you might have heard a debunk of being thrown out into space and exploding. Apparently a differential of just one atmosphere isn't enough to make our eyes pop out. But 9 atmospheres is plenty. I'll let Wikipedia summarize:

quote:

Diver D4 was shot out through the small jammed hatch door opening, and was ripped apart. Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined D4, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient, violently exploded due to the rapid and massive expansion of internal gases. All of his thoracic and abdominal organs, and even his thoracic spine were ejected, as were all of his limbs. Simultaneously, his remains were expelled through the narrow trunk opening left by the jammed chamber door, less than 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter. Fragments of his body were found scattered about the rig. One part was even found lying on the rig’s derrick, 10 metres (30 ft) directly above the chambers. His death was most likely instantaneous and painless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

Lots of divers have died in the North Sea, many under much slower and more painful conditions than this.

As your soul might need some recuperation, skip to 3:00 to see Heston Blumenthal make high altitude chocolate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9WAIRgh2Y

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

InterceptorV8 posted:

It's really just Nutcup crushing your precious sodas in his rippling rear end.

Imagine this car is a heavily laden pressurized comestibles hauler, see, and then

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Ola posted:

Aerated ice cream expanding, certainly. Chip bags which you can pop open with one hand anyway, no problem seeing that. Aluminum soda cans, no.

I used to live at 6,000ft and work at essentially sea level. We'd shop in the valley and we learned never to buy soda in a can, 2 liter only. Invariably you'd end up with an exploded can in the grocery bag once you got home. They get very rigid and the slightest tap would make them go *boom*. Ice cream had to be bought in a tub so the lid could expand. We'd end up with about 25% more ice cream than when we left the store.

My father worked for a food manufacturer at the time. They were having problems sending their frozen food to Denver. 1/2 the bags were popping open on the trip over. For a few weeks I got a shitton of free Italian food. I just had to carry it home and report on the bag conditions. Every time they came out with new packaging, same thing. I'd be asked to be their Altitude Tester.

So I have to side with InterceptorV8.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Kill-9 posted:

I used to live at 6,000ft and work at essentially sea level. We'd shop in the valley and we learned never to buy soda in a can, 2 liter only. Invariably you'd end up with an exploded can in the grocery bag once you got home. They get very rigid and the slightest tap would make them go *boom*. Ice cream had to be bought in a tub so the lid could expand. We'd end up with about 25% more ice cream than when we left the store.

My father worked for a food manufacturer at the time. They were having problems sending their frozen food to Denver. 1/2 the bags were popping open on the trip over. For a few weeks I got a shitton of free Italian food. I just had to carry it home and report on the bag conditions. Every time they came out with new packaging, same thing. I'd be asked to be their Altitude Tester.

So I have to side with InterceptorV8.

Haven't thought about it too hard or read the report that was talked about earlier but at first glance it's possible both of you are right. It might be possible for a undisturbed can to survive going in a vacuum chamber and surviving at very low pressures but not for a can which is being physically agitated as the carbon dioxide will bubble out of the containing liquid and increase the pressure in the can.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Longinus00 posted:

Haven't thought about it too hard or read the report that was talked about earlier but at first glance it's possible both of you are right. It might be possible for a undisturbed can to survive going in a vacuum chamber and surviving at very low pressures but not for a can which is being physically agitated as the carbon dioxide will bubble out of the containing liquid and increase the pressure in the can.

Like you can STAND on a empty soda can, but as soon as someone just bumps the outside....

CRUNCH!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ola posted:

Some pressure differential content!

This is a familiar sight to many, the Aloha convertible.

Metal fatigue weakened skin, one stewardess got sucked out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243
I remember watching the "Air Crash Investigations" episode on this flight, it was amazing they were still able to land the plane with so much of the hull ripped out of it and there was only one death

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Ola posted:

Now, for something truly horrible, there's not much compared to the Byford Dolphin accident. Thankfully I suppose, the pictures from the investigation does not seem to have made it to the internet.

Dx are saturation divers working in the North Sea. They are on the surface inside a pressure chamber. This is so they can go down and work at 90 meters depth every day without waiting for decompression between dives in the diving bell. (they decompress for many days after their shift) Their bodies are saturated at 9 atmospheres, hence the term saturation diving. So when one of the tenders accidentally (this is still disputed) loosened the mechanism holding the bell, you might see what's coming. Now, you might have heard a debunk of being thrown out into space and exploding. Apparently a differential of just one atmosphere isn't enough to make our eyes pop out. But 9 atmospheres is plenty. I'll let Wikipedia summarize:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin#Diving_bell_accident

Lots of divers have died in the North Sea, many under much slower and more painful conditions than this.

As your soul might need some recuperation, skip to 3:00 to see Heston Blumenthal make high altitude chocolate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo9WAIRgh2Y

Probably faster than this thing's fate, but the description makes it sound similar in nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjZ7Cb5WDLM&feature=player_detailpage#t=107s

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Nomex posted:

Post Pictures of Horrible Mechanical Failures.

Choo choo

And an unrelated one I found, also from a train:

This was posted many pages ago, but still awesome.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

scapulataf posted:

This was posted many pages ago, but still awesome.

By 'many pages ago', you mean 'ten posts ago', right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

xp67 posted:

By 'many pages ago', you mean 'ten posts ago', right?

More like a year or more ago towards the beginning of the thread ;)