Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

It's just dumb and not news. People from Philadelphiatwitter by in large are very stupid, check out the trending topics for confirmation. If espnW is trying to legitimize itself, posting articles about how a bread company's name may or may not be sexist is not the way to do it.

It doesn't claim to be news, either. ESPNw is just a blog/portal that focuses on women in sports.

The headline wasn't really the best choice, but it's a post that reports on a topic, distances itself from a dumb viewpoint and then asks for comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Onion Sportsdome posted a 1.1, that is a big dropoff from Tosh.0 but not bad. I haven't looked at the demo numbers yet.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Jon Heyman is having another Twitter meltdown.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 13, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

quote:

@richardiurilli why should someone who is NOT a journalist take daily potshots at my reporting when they obvs know ZERO about it?

Obvs.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm @jmhs by the way. Ben Kabak writes for one of the better Yankee blogs and yes, does tend to criticize Jon Heyman.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

AOL is laying off a large portion of their staff at Fanhouse and turning over coverage to the Sporting News, effective in March.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
The weird part about that is that TSN killed The Sporting Blog in hopes of a buyout that never happened.

For those who don't remember Fanhouse at its start was a collection of the best of the best bloggers. Then they dumped 90% of those guys and went to a model where they hired newspaper retreads (Jay Mariotti, Lisa Olson, Kevin Blackistone), but a few genuinely good writers snuck in there, especially with all the recent layoffs.

So now there's Yahoo, with the model of one elite blog for every sport. SBN has a few of the old Fanhouse crew too, and they're trying, but still have a long way to go and are more focused on SEO and traffic than the content-driven Fanhouse was.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Dan Shaughnessy wrote an article about the Pats losing yesterday: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/01/17/title_march_stops_short/?p1=News_links

Because it's Dan Shaughnessy, he mentions baseball in the second sentence. Also the Pats get called chokers several times. Great article, Dan.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I'm fairly ignorant about the subject, but is Grady Little still reviled for keeping Pedro in? Was he wrong to keep him in? Am I an idiot?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Politicalrancor posted:

I'm fairly ignorant about the subject, but is Grady Little still reviled for keeping Pedro in? Was he wrong to keep him in? Am I an idiot?

He would be Buckner 2.0 if they hadn't immediately won in 04, yes, jury's out.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Here's an article about noted rear end in a top hat A.J. Daulerio that makes him look like...well...an rear end in a top hat.

I'm just going to link it because it's long: click

There's some quotable stuff you can pick out of there. My two personal favorites: Will Leitch being so seemingly disgusted by what Daulerio's done with the site that that the two don't talk about Deadspin anymore, and the revelation that Daulerio kept a video of what might have been a rape on Deadspin for about a day.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

There's some quotable stuff you can pick out of there. My two personal favorites: Will Leitch being so seemingly disgusted by what Daulerio's done with the site that that the two don't talk about Deadspin anymore, and the revelation thatDaulerio kept a video of what might have been a rape on Deadspin for about a day.

What the gently caress was the video in question :psyduck:

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

The weird part about that is that TSN killed The Sporting Blog in hopes of a buyout that never happened.

Not just the blog, but a whole network of blogs (including a good basketball one that Shoals from Free Darko posted on all the time).

Also, didn't Daulerio post the infamous Erin Andrews peeper video? I'm sure I saw it linked on there when it first came out.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

leokitty posted:

What the gently caress was the video in question :psyduck:
Perhaps Daulerio's darkest moment came last spring, when he posted a video of an obviously drunk college girl having sex in a bathroom stall at a sports bar in Bloomington, Indiana. At the time, he was thinking of it as part of a series on fans having sex in bathrooms. (In the fall of 2009, he'd posted a clip of a couple getting it on in a stall at the new Cowboys Stadium.) On May 11, a few days after the video went up, Daulerio received an e-mail from a woman imploring him to take it down. "I know the people in it and it is extreemly [sic] hurtful. please, this is completely unfair," she wrote. In separate responses, both Daulerio and Darbyshire, the Gawker lawyer, refused to comply. "Best advice I can give you right now: do not make a big deal out of this because, as you can tell, the footage is blurry and you are not identified by name," Daulerio wrote, assuming the e-mailer was the girl herself.

For the rest of the afternoon, Daulerio and the woman traded five e-mails. Finally, before handing the matter off to Darbyshire, Daulerio wrote, "It's not getting taken down. I've said that. And it's not a very serious matter. It is a dumb mistake you (or whomever) made while drunk in college. Happens to the best of us."

The next day, though, he and Darbyshire decided that removing the video was "the best course of action," Darbyshire says. But by then it had migrated to other sites. And a couple of days after that, Daulerio received a panicked call from the girl's father. "He had this basic breakdown on the phone," Daulerio recalled. "The guy is like, 'You gotta understand, I've just been dealing with watching my daughter get hosed in a pile of piss for the past two days.' "

Daulerio now says he wishes he hadn't run the video. "It wasn't funny," he says. "It was possibly rape. I was trying to kind of put it in that same category [as the Dallas video]. I didn't really look at the thing close enough to realize there's maybe something a little more sinister going on here and a little more disturbing."

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Christ. Well part of the problem is that Denton pays his writers a base salary + unique visitors/pageviews so it's how the employees make monies.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

leokitty posted:

Christ. Well part of the problem is that Denton pays his writers a base salary + unique visitors/pageviews so it's how the employees make monies.
In exchange for betraying Jenn Sterger's trust and sending five-figures with of cash in an envelope to a random person for pictures of what may or may not have been Brett Favre's penis, he got a whopping bonus of less than five thousand dollars.

He really does this to be an rear end in a top hat. I love how he just casually talks about how he felt bad about that video because it was "possibly rape".

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

He really does this to be an rear end in a top hat. I love how he just casually talks about how he felt bad about that video because it was "possibly rape".

The article also makes it sound incredibly misogynistic. "At first I was all, "gently caress, you, you dumb oval office, you're getting what you deserved. But I had never stopped to consider what her father might be going through."

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
The GQ piece on Daulerio is good. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I see the piece as attempting to connect the pieces between sports culture and the general depravity Daulerio seeks and receives on a daily basis. I find things to like and dislike about Daulerio, but instead of passing judgment on him I will say that he comes off as someone who has jumped down the rabbit hole only to find no bottom. He keeps falling and falling.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Sports culture, like all American culture, is corrupt and should be purified with fire.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Jason Whitlock is a moron (surprise)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/chicago-bears-qb-jay-cutler-might-have-quit-way-before-sunday-012711

this is him backtracking from calling Cutler a quitter

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The GQ piece on Daulerio is good. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I see the piece as attempting to connect the pieces between sports culture and the general depravity Daulerio seeks and receives on a daily basis. I find things to like and dislike about Daulerio, but instead of passing judgment on him I will say that he comes off as someone who has jumped down the rabbit hole only to find no bottom. He keeps falling and falling.

You could basically say the same thing about the entire Gawker network. It's all salacious tabloid crap for the lowest common denominator. Will Leitch at least had some semblance of talent, Daulerio is just a legitimately creepy dude. Deadspin's readers are even worse, the mailbag they do is loving disgusting.

But Gawker is read more now than ever so what do I know

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

King Kaufman left Salon to work at Bleacher Report, he is the "manager of writer development".

Good luck to him but unless they're going to start paying people I don't see how the quality will improve a whole lot.

quote:

After 14 years as a writer and editor at Salon, I have signed on at Bleacher Report as manager of writer development. My main job here is to try to help improve the overall quality of the writing.

That's a big goal for Bleacher Report this year. To this point, my new bosses tell me, the site has concentrated on getting itself established and then growing. Now, it's time to raise the level of discourse, as it were. Imagine the state of things if they're bringing me in to raise the level of discourse!

I kid, I kid. But listen, I know Bleacher Report's reputation. "Enjoy your SEO dominance while it lasts Bleacher Report!" read a tweet by my virtual friend, MSNBC baseball blogger Craig Calcaterra. It was a reference to a Wall Street Journal blog post about Google's plan to limit search results for content farms. For the record, Calcaterra didn't know about my hiring when he posted that, and offered kind and encouraging words when he heard.

Another twitterer, Bill Parker of the ESPN SweetSpot blog the Platoon Advantage, responded to the news that I'd joined Bleacher Report by writing, "Seriously? Nothing in the world makes sense anymore."

Meaning it used to?

And one more: A month ago, Jay Jaffe of Baseball Prospectus, another virtual friend, which is to say we've never met but we've played against each other in a Scoresheet baseball league, corresponded via e-mail and he even sat in for me at the Salon column one time, tweeted, "Is there a Firefox extension or setting that can automatically disregard Bleacher Report URLs in Google results?"

That reputation isn't entirely unfair but it isn't entirely fair either. There is a lot of content on Bleacher Report and, while I would dispute that B/R is a content farm, a lot of that content is less than stellar. Some of it's quite good, though. I'll be honest: I don't see my job as getting rid of the less than stellar stuff.

Part of what Bleacher Report does is provide a forum and a community for people to blog about the sports they're passionate about. There are standards, but those standards are different from those at the New York Review of Books. There's room for people who just want to write for the fun of it, who aren't overly concerned that their offerings will not be winning them prizes -- or even praise from terrific, discerning writers like Craig Calcaterra and Jay Jaffe.

What I'm aiming to be a part of is helping the writers who have potential and an interest in improving to do just that. And we're also hoping to find more good writers and help them become even better writers.

How will we do all that? Well, I haven't even figured out where the bathroom is. First things first. And first, I'm going to be a Bleacher Report writer myself. When you next hear from me, I'll have taken an assignment, as featured columnists do. I want to see how the writing program looks from the writing side. I hope I'll be able to write regularly even after I've gotten my bearings.

If you don't know who I am, all that David Copperfield kind of stuff is on my writer page. If you want to read something I've written, I'm comfortable with you typing my name and any sports term you'd like into your favorite search engine.

If you do know me, you might guess that I'm excited to be working on one of the frontiers of what a year or two ago we were calling the future of journalism, at a startup, a disruptive business that's trying to rethink how things are done.

There is also some rumbling that this happened because Google said they're going to start docking content dump sites in the rankings.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

It's a shame, because everyone now and then something good will pop up on there. It's always just at the bottom of a heaping pile of poo poo. Unless they start straight up removing the tons of lovely writers, it's always gonna have that stigma

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

leokitty posted:

King Kaufman left Salon to work at Bleacher Report, he is the "manager of writer development".

Good luck to him but unless they're going to start paying people I don't see how the quality will improve a whole lot.

There is also some rumbling that this happened because Google said they're going to start docking content dump sites in the rankings.

Thank God about the Google news. Trying to look for IT solutions on google these days really shows how bad I am at my job shows how many bullshit websites there are out there. Seriously, gently caress Experts Exchange.

I hope Kaufman can do something for Bleacher Report. It would be a shame for a website with that much reach to be this bad indefinitely. It is like Game FAQs for sports.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

leokitty posted:

They do pay some people, but not many (mostly people at the very top of the chain). Also, now they have content sharing agreements with something like six newspapers and CBS Sports. It's starting to become a worry of mine that they're going to start selling their content - written on the cheap, if paid at all - to fill space in newspapers.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Some of those content partnerships have already ended because of the quality of the content. If you look on WaPo you'll notice the box isn't there anymore.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Hah, wait, so the WaPo partnership unceremoniously ended shortly after it began? Awesome.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Good news, Kaufman has contributed his first article. A B/R slideshow! And if you click through to the end, it automatically starts up the next slideshow, "The 50 Best Butts in Sports" by Bailey Brautigan.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

stuart scott irl posted:

Hah, wait, so the WaPo partnership unceremoniously ended shortly after it began? Awesome.
So that lasted...two months?

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
TMQ takes a bold stance against applause.

Easterbrook posted:

Stay in Your Seat: According to the White House transcript, President Barack Obama was interrupted by applause 79 times during last week's State of the Union address, including for such generic pronouncements as, "We need the fastest, most reliable ways to move people, goods, and information, from high-speed rail to high-speed Internet." The president received 45 standing ovations, including for such generic pronouncements as, "Let's fix what needs fixing and let's move forward."

Standing ovations for generic comments -- in 2010, Obama brought the crowd to its feet merely with the words "small business" -- have become part of political theater. Obama received 37 standing ovations during his February 2009 speech to Congress, and 46 standing ovations in his 2010 State of the Union talk. Members of Congress know that when the president speaks, standing to clap is a way to get television cameras to pan off the president toward them.

But there's a larger problem at work -- too many standing ovations at theatrical shows, awards ceremonies, all kinds of public events. The Oscars and Golden Globes stop so often for the audience to rise that the evenings are like aerobics classes for the Hollywood elite. Today's Broadway shows, no matter how bad, often end with standing ovations, while rare is the high school musical that does not conclude with the audience on its feet.

Standing ovations are supposed to acknowledge a remarkable insight or moving performance -- not merely that a politician spoke, or a curtain closed. Here, theater critic Terry Teachout argues that the rising frequency of standing ovations "devalues their significance." Once, performers dreamed of the day they would earn a standing ovation. Today, they expect standing O's for walking across stage. And though it's fun, as a high school kid, to see your parents standing to clap, realistically, rare is the high school musical or play that merits an ovation.

Why has the standing ovation proliferated? Your columnist thinks it's a form of self-flattery for the audience, a way of saying, "I picked a great show." If you pay $250 for a Broadway ticket for a musical version of "Hedda Gabler," and the show is wretched, you leave feeling like a fool. If you leap to your feet in a standing ovation, as if you've just attended a work of art, you don't feel so bad about that $250. When audiences stand to applaud, they are applauding themselves. Stay in your seat! Unless you've truly witnessed a moving performance, which does happen -- just not often.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

leokitty posted:

Some of those content partnerships have already ended because of the quality of the content. If you look on WaPo you'll notice the box isn't there anymore.

Thank god.

I can't believe the brass there really wanted to use those morons. I'm sure the beat guys for whatever sport there know of the quality bloggers. Why not just track them down instead if you really need to fill space on the cheap?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Copernic posted:

TMQ takes a bold stance against applause.

He's 100% right except for sporting events where you basically should never be seated anyway (except baseball because it lasts 30000 hours),

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

He's 100% right except for sporting events where you basically should never be seated anyway (except baseball because it lasts 30000 hours),

stopped clock, twice a day &c

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

tadashi posted:

I hope Kaufman can do something for Bleacher Report. It would be a shame for a website with that much reach to be this bad indefinitely. It is like Game FAQs for sports.

It would not have such reach and influence if the plug was pulled like it should have been years ago.

Kaufman is so far in over his head he's going to drown. The biggest way to improve the quality of BR writing is to improve middle-school and high-school English classes.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
http://deadspin.com/5748972/

Deadspin has been reading this thread because someone called Daulerio a giant fag lol

(See the links on the final entry)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress yeah, 15 ns of fame for me

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
grats

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
SAS > everyone, shut down the sports industry

conversely, i feel bad for the intern that had to search the internet for bad deadspin publicity.

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 2, 2011

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

conversely, i feel bad for the intern that had to search the internet for bad deadspin publicity.

Not even bad publicity about deadspin in general. Just poo poo about lovely AJ Daulerio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

i like to think that the dintern is actually a forums poster

it's me