Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
I have an Aeron I use at work, and I have a horrible big box cheapo "leather" chair at home. I can sit still at work for hours and it only takes 20 mins at home before my lower back starts to hurt.

I really want a Aeron at home but jesus I am afraid of the pricing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

PrettyhateM posted:

I have an Aeron I use at work, and I have a horrible big box cheapo "leather" chair at home. I can sit still at work for hours and it only takes 20 mins at home before my lower back starts to hurt.

I really want a Aeron at home but jesus I am afraid of the pricing.

There are a large number of options between the Office Max Special and the Aeron.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
The Mirra was mentioned in Pendragon's chart as accurately being worse than the Aeron, but it's still a Herman Miller chair, it still rules, and it's drastically less than the Aeron.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
I don't like the leap that I use at work because the seat material is so slippery.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
Has anyone heard good or bad things about the new Sayl chair from Herman Miller? Supposedly it's shipping soon ("early 2011") and the price is a bit easier to stomach than the Aeron or Embody.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/SAYL-Chairs starts at $399 new, movable whatsits add some to the cost. I've been looking for local deals on good chairs for a little while and haven't had much luck, if I want to get something soon it'll probably end up being full price, not sure if the Sayl is worth a second look.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Looks meh at best, mainly because you have so few ways to adjust the chair to your body. For that price, you're probably better off with a Mirra.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
I have heard OK things about the Sayl from a few design sites, but I think you are better off getting one on one time with any big chair purchase. While you won't know right away if it is the chair for you, at least you will know right away if the chair is horrible.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...

Melraidin posted:

Any comments, experiences, or warnings about this chair: http://www.officedepot.ca/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-60percent-Recycled-Mesh/

I need to confirm but I believe one person at my office has one. If this is indeed the chair he has than at least from my occasional dalliances with it I'm tempted to get one, especially at that price since getting a Hermain-Miller or Steelcase in Canada used seems practically impossible (at a decent used price).

I was going to post about this chair. I use it at work AND at home. It's pretty solid for me, but I'm also not a brute with furniture. I really like the shape of the back because I have a much wider/deeper shoulder area than waist, so it's quite comfortable for me. Good adjustability and obviously breathes like a champ. Highly recommended.

Grimey
Jan 25, 2007

Poing posted:

I was going to post about this chair. I use it at work AND at home. It's pretty solid for me, but I'm also not a brute with furniture. I really like the shape of the back because I have a much wider/deeper shoulder area than waist, so it's quite comfortable for me. Good adjustability and obviously breathes like a champ. Highly recommended.

I also use the officedepot "aeron" chair for home use. I probably spend 4-5 hours in it nightly, and it works great. I also got it on sale for $200 delivered on one of there clearance events (no office depot where I live).

My office chair is a herman-miller aeron which is expectedly better than the office depot version in every way. I just couldn't justify the price of the HM for home use at this point in my life (although whenever this office depot chair wears out I will take the plunge).

The main differences I notice in the chair are as follows (things not obvious like build quality).

- The HM chair's mesh is much stiffer (which I like)
- The HM chair has a back rest that extends to the seat of the chair
- The HM chair can be indexed in it's leaning angle. When engaging the mechanism to stop the chair from leaning back you will find it isn't smooth and can select a specific angle (I don't know if this is intended, but I like it). On my OD chair I just leave the leaning mechanism locked at the chair flexes enough for me on it's own.
- The HM chair has a mechanism allowing the user to lean forward some. This may seem odd, but I like it for my personal sitting style. The HD chair doesn't have this but it hasn't affected me at home yet.

Wow, that got longer then I meant it to.

In short, the OD chair has served me well for 6 months at home, and the HM chair has done the same at work.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I just agreed to buy a Leap v2 for $500 from someone who's startup failed I believe. It has an extra cylinder in it so their tall employee could use it in the correct fashion. He was also 6'5" like me, so I think it will make sense in the long run.

I have wanted a new chair for a while and I got really spoiled when I got a new job and they had Leap v2s in the office and then Aerons in the office we switched to. I work from home two days a week also.

Lag
Jan 3, 2003
I recently snagged a Leap Chair v2 (shorter backed model with no frills) for $100usd on craigslist. It's an amazing chair. I see some of you guys mention you spend 4-6 hours a day in your chairs? I'm sad to say I spend more like 18 (usually a good bit more if you can believe it). After going on 3 weeks I can easily say this chair has made a significant difference.. You can download a 40mB interactive guide on the Steelcase website to aid in configuring the chair for your body. There is also an extremely low quality video on the same website you can see the chair in action (that is what sold me).

Two places I was considering for buying a new Leap Chair v2... thehumansolution.com is the one I will use when I buy one. Madison Seating also has decent prices and they seem like a pretty solid company, but the additional tax for NY -> NY sales always kills it for me (thehumansolution is in texas). Sorry this mess of a post, hope I detailed something useful along the way.

p.s. The only other ergonomic chair I have used in recent times is an Aeron (my boss has one). It simply does not compare (for my needs at least).

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

trinary posted:

Has anyone heard good or bad things about the new Sayl chair from Herman Miller? Supposedly it's shipping soon ("early 2011") and the price is a bit easier to stomach than the Aeron or Embody.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/SAYL-Chairs starts at $399 new, movable whatsits add some to the cost. I've been looking for local deals on good chairs for a little while and haven't had much luck, if I want to get something soon it'll probably end up being full price, not sure if the Sayl is worth a second look.
My mom recently bought an Embody and surprisingly sitting in a chair for hours doesn't make me feel tired like usual. I still have an Office Depot chair from high school so I was also looking at the Sayl since the price is a lot better. Looks like it's too new for reviews online though, I'll have to find a store to try it out myself. I love the idea of modeling it after the Golden Gate Bridge, it's so appealing since I live in SF :)

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a poo poo office chair right now and I've found that splitting my time at a standing station makes a world of difference. It might not work in every situation, but I just walk around to the backside of my versatable and use the hutch/top shelf thingy as a standing desk. Works great, and I don't need to have a whole separate setup for standing.

http://www.versatables.com/pages/products/office/vc4824.php

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Is there a desk thread, past or present?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Cheesus posted:

Is there a desk thread, past or present?

Unlike most of their trash, the Ikea work desks are surprisingly good (especially for the price.) Unfortunately, the best product they ever put out, the Jerker, is no longer available. I've heard the Fredrik and Galant are pretty good as well.

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty blessed with great office chairs both at home and work. I have a Leap v1 at home, which is really comfortable and has held up well for me for the 2 years I've owned it now. I prefer it a bit overall to the Herman Miller Mirras we've got at work. I like the cushioning of the Leap more than the mesh that the Mirras use. The mesh does make up for being slightly less comfortable by being much cooler in the summer, though. It really makes a big difference to the old chairs I was using before this, I'd never go back to the usual office store stuff.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I must agree with others on here--go to a store that sells multiple high-end brands and sit in their chairs. It's the only way to know. I brought a newspaper and magazine and sat in each of them for 20 minutes at a minimum. This allowed me to test out what the biggest problem is for me: I need a bottom that doesn't get my hamstrings hot. I'm sitting on a Leap right now at work and I don't like it because I still have to get up all of the time to walk around. At home my Embody still uses a mesh-like material that keeps the chair cool. I can sit in that thing for hours without needing to get up, and when I get bored with sitting 'straight' I can mess with the controls and lean back. Excellent chair; no regrets.

sinep
Feb 3, 2007
Does anyone have any experience with PlaySeat? I like what I saw in the office chair + keyboard and mouse stands. The biggest problem: They are EXPENSIVE? My GOD! Are they worth the prices they're asking? Is there a cheaper alternative that offers the expandability they have?

EDIT: A link: http://www.amazon.com/Playseat-Executive-Racer-Office-Gaming/dp/B002IY1WAI/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1296700581&sr=8-13

sinep fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 3, 2011

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things
My chair at work is ok, but my chair at home is absolutely beat down. The seat cushion material has broken down to the point that it has maybe 1/10 the padding that it did originally.

There's a guy in the Seattle area who sells a ton of used office furniture. He's got a huge lot of Steelcase Criterions for $135 a piece. I think I may pick one up in the next few weeks. Can't beat a decent price like that.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Honestly, the most comfortable chair I sit in all day is in my car.
I've been trying to think of something similar to use for my desk.

I've gotten kind of tired of office chairs since they can be moved, and I'd prefer something I can lean back in and not worry about rolling myself around. I also have a weird habit of turning to the side and typing sideways which gets uncomfortable after a while.

So I think what I'd like to have is a nice firmly cushioned seat that I can lean back into but doesn't rock around like a recliner. And then I need something for my feet so they aren't just dangling down off the chair. And then I'd like to have my keyboard on set of rollers so I can roll it over my lap. That setup would be perfect.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Oh joy, more things to spend money on!

I move around. A lot. I move from sitting bolt upright, to leaning to one side, to reclining, to reeeaally reclining. Do the chairs like the Leap or Embody, that claim to move with you, really feel better than chairs that have reclining backs and tiltable seats?

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

There's a guy in the Seattle area who sells a ton of used office furniture. He's got a huge lot of Steelcase Criterions for $135 a piece. I think I may pick one up in the next few weeks. Can't beat a decent price like that.

Hah, I think I've seen that guy's craigslist ads. Do you by chance know what he charges for Leaps, or is it a case by case thing?

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

Wombot posted:

I move around. A lot. I move from sitting bolt upright, to leaning to one side, to reclining, to reeeaally reclining. Do the chairs like the Leap or Embody, that claim to move with you, really feel better than chairs that have reclining backs and tiltable seats?

Hah, I think I've seen that guy's craigslist ads. Do you by chance know what he charges for Leaps, or is it a case by case thing?

From what I've seen, it completely depends on what he's got in stock at the time. I think he has an endless supply of Criterions. Right now, his site shows a bunch of KI Engage and Ergogenesis Mid Back chairs. Haven't seen anyone who regularly carries Leaps around here just yet.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Lord Fizzlebottom posted:

From what I've seen, it completely depends on what he's got in stock at the time. I think he has an endless supply of Criterions. Right now, his site shows a bunch of KI Engage and Ergogenesis Mid Back chairs. Haven't seen anyone who regularly carries Leaps around here just yet.

Anyway you could drop a link if he has a site? I like my HM Reaction well enough, but if I could score a leap with some luck that could be amazing.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

baxate posted:

I've gotten kind of tired of office chairs since they can be moved, and I'd prefer something I can lean back in and not worry about rolling myself around. I also have a weird habit of turning to the side and typing sideways which gets uncomfortable after a while.

I can lean all the way back in the Leap I have at work, and the wheels never move an inch. Does your current chair tilt the seat bottom as well as the back when you lean back? If so, I wonder if that's your problem because it would shift your body mass. Most of the higher-end brands (Steelcase, Herman Miller) design their chairs (even their low-end ones) so that only the back of the chair tilts.

baxate posted:

So I think what I'd like to have is a nice firmly cushioned seat that I can lean back into but doesn't rock around like a recliner. And then I need something for my feet so they aren't just dangling down off the chair. And then I'd like to have my keyboard on set of rollers so I can roll it over my lap. That setup would be perfect.

I think most of these issues could be solved with any of the higher-end chairs. As for the keyboard, I think a good keyboard tray is required in any truly-ergonomic setup because you can then lower/raise your chair keep your knees at a proper angle while having your keyboard at the proper height. Unfortunately, they're also expensive if you want something decent. I personally use a Humanscale 5G that I managed to buy for about $60 or so when it normally runs $200+. It's worth every penny and then some.

If you want to get a tray, make sure the arm is easily adjustable without you having to bend over to twist knobs or pull levers. That way you can adjust the keyboard height and position without having to get out of your current position. Also make sure the arm holding the keyboard tray up doesn't have a bunch of metal or supports under the tray that could hit your knees if you were to swing around in your chair.

Wombot posted:

I've heard that an uncomfortable chair causes you to move around more because you can't find a comfortable position. A better chair would probably solve most of your movement issues. The reclining action of a high-end chair has to be felt to be understood. When you recline, it pushes the seat forward, which helps keep your body in a more natural position, and makes it easier to recline since you don't have to adjust your body. It also keeps your arms at about the same place on the chair, so you can recline without moving further away from your keyboard (to a degree of course). The really high-end Humanscale chairs have a headrest that also pushes your head forward as you recline so that your head stays looking at your computer, which is REALLY nice.

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

Juriko posted:

Anyway you could drop a link if he has a site? I like my HM Reaction well enough, but if I could score a leap with some luck that could be amazing.

I'm just realizing that I don't think his inventory list has been updated since 2009. He's got his phone number in all the craigslist ads though, so it can't hurt to call and see what he has.

http://nwresourcer.com/

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Found out the proprietor of a seating store around here was getting rid of his year-old all-black Embody for 50%. No real way I could pass that up. I'll post a trip report in a few days of moving from a 1985 low-back, fixed-arm task chair to this.... thing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Wombot posted:

The embody is a tiltable chair (with a lever on the back which allows you to set your maximum recline angle), and the way the back is constructed, it should provide support if you are leaning to one side. It's a great chair.

EDIT: You are going to love your new chair, and you got an amazing deal for it, too.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

I guess I should pass this info on to yous guys: I got it from Design Within Reach in Kirkland, WA. They're having a sale (Officially starting February 12th) on their floor models: Everything is 30% or more off. The Embody I got is actually what Jim, the manager, sat in every day. They also have a Mirra, at least one Aeron, and a Humanscale Freedom, amongst lots of other non-task chairs (Like an Eames Lounge ohgod).

Anyone in the Seattle area should look them up and give Jim a call if you've been looking for a new chair.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

Wombot posted:

I guess I should pass this info on to yous guys: I got it from Design Within Reach in Kirkland, WA. They're having a sale (Officially starting February 12th) on their floor models: Everything is 30% or more off. The Embody I got is actually what Jim, the manager, sat in every day. They also have a Mirra, at least one Aeron, and a Humanscale Freedom, amongst lots of other non-task chairs (Like an Eames Lounge ohgod).

Anyone in the Seattle area should look them up and give Jim a call if you've been looking for a new chair.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get an embody for? I'm looking to get a new chair for work, and want to pick up something nice.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I hope I won't get too much flak for this, but the $200 IKEA MARKUS office chair is really comfortable too. We have a couple of those at the office as well as an Aeron and while the latter sure is awesome, the IKEA chair is really great too.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006
The problem really is build quality. All the ikea chairs I have used, regardless of comfort, just feel shoddy. My office chair gets ABUSED.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wombot posted:

Hmm, I'm in Kirkland and have a decent income tax refund heading my way, maybe I'll swing by and see what they've got.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've had a Mirra for about 6 years and love it. It takes a little while to get used to but will feel like a glove within a week. The most important aspect of Herman Miller chairs is the warranty. It's really remarkable. I've had two problems, both my own doing and they fixed it no questions asked.

1) I was on the phone and spinning the chair around like an idiot while standing next to it and the plastic back ripped away from the spine of it. They next day aired me a new back piece without even taking a look at it.

2) When moving I accidentally punctured the mesh. The hole slowly got larger the more I used it. Didn't think they'd cover it but called and they came out the next day and did. Didn't have to pay for anything.

So I guess the service is worth the extra money here. If the chair is something that is important and something you use a lot, spend the money and get something high quality.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Ethereal posted:

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get an embody for? I'm looking to get a new chair for work, and want to pick up something nice.

Maneki Neko posted:

Hmm, I'm in Kirkland and have a decent income tax refund heading my way, maybe I'll swing by and see what they've got.

50% of $1400 came out to $766 after tax. It was 50% due to it missing one of the two tensioning straps that help the seat depth adjuster (but it still works fine), and there are a couple light scuffs on the plastic, plus the manager sat in it every day for over a year.

There's a Mirra and Aeron at DWR, both should be about $600 after the floor model discount. When I was looking at the Mirra and Aeron, I couldn't see any issues with their fit and finish, and they are demo chairs, so sat in briefly by customers, but not day in, day out use.

Niwrad posted:

I've had a Mirra for about 6 years and love it. It takes a little while to get used to but will feel like a glove within a week. The most important aspect of Herman Miller chairs is the warranty. It's really remarkable. I've had two problems, both my own doing and they fixed it no questions asked.

1) I was on the phone and spinning the chair around like an idiot while standing next to it and the plastic back ripped away from the spine of it. They next day aired me a new back piece without even taking a look at it.

2) When moving I accidentally punctured the mesh. The hole slowly got larger the more I used it. Didn't think they'd cover it but called and they came out the next day and did. Didn't have to pay for anything.

So I guess the service is worth the extra money here. If the chair is something that is important and something you use a lot, spend the money and get something high quality.

Two questions for you: With the Mirra, do you feel the bar that goes under the seat pan pressing against the undersides of your thighs? I demoed a Mirra, and could feel that bar pressing harder than the rest of the mesh. I guess it's kind of moot now, but I'm curious, as both I and my gf noticed it, but the shop manager said he'd never heard of anyone complaining about it.

The Mirra back though, that is fantastic! Much more comfortable than the Aeron.

Second, I need to get a replacement tension strap for the seat depth mechanism on my Embody, how did you go about contacting HM? I used this directory of HM Warranty Centers to locate the one serving my area and emailed them, but I haven't heard back. Did you contact HM Customer Service directly?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Wombot posted:

Two questions for you: With the Mirra, do you feel the bar that goes under the seat pan pressing against the undersides of your thighs? I demoed a Mirra, and could feel that bar pressing harder than the rest of the mesh. I guess it's kind of moot now, but I'm curious, as both I and my gf noticed it, but the shop manager said he'd never heard of anyone complaining about it.

I have a Mirra and have never felt that.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

Niwrad posted:

Is the warranty really worth it though. I always see "open boxed" "like new" aerons on craigs list from $399 to $800. I'm in desperate need of a chair but the warranty literarily doubles the costs of it. The computer chair for the computer is going to end up costing more than the computer itself.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Ample posted:

Is the warranty really worth it though. I always see "open boxed" "like new" aerons on craigs list from $399 to $800. I'm in desperate need of a chair but the warranty literarily doubles the costs of it. The computer chair for the computer is going to end up costing more than the computer itself.

While a chair may cost more than a computer, it should last a lot longer than a computer as well. The warranty on an Aeron is 12 years. Leap's warranty ranges from 5 years on the fabric to 10 years for the pneumatic cylinder to a lifetime warranty on the structure components.

As for whether or not it's worth it, that's up to you. If you can find a good deal on a used one (like at least half off), it's probably worth it since you could buy two for the price of a new one. A new Aeron costs about $850 or so depending on the bells and whistles, so you can make up your own mind.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

Pendragon posted:

While a chair may cost more than a computer, it should last a lot longer than a computer as well. The warranty on an Aeron is 12 years. Leap's warranty ranges from 5 years on the fabric to 10 years for the pneumatic cylinder to a lifetime warranty on the structure components.

I never thought to look at it from that perspective. With a 12 year warranty the investment seems worth it. We have a few Aeron chairs at work that I really like though I've never sat in a leap before. Do you like one more than the other?

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Is it a good idea to buy an Aeron chair from ebay? Seems like they can be had for around $600 shipped and I don't know of any furniture liquidators nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
This thread is quite co-incident with my latest major purchase. In the UK there's a couple of companies that offer the Aeron chair, custom-built (as they all are, apparently), complete with £990 (incl. VAT) price tag and 40-day delivery time.

I ordered one on Sunday after damaging my existing chair (an 'alright' chair in that it wasn't uncomfortable, but it was loud, I understand it was £50 from PC World or something). I broke it during my attempt to remove the seat cushion for washing (attached by four deep screws), I managed to remove two screws fine, but the other two were completely stuck and I ended up shredding their heads. The screws that I did extract were really corroded at the tips, so that's probably what held them in.

Anyway, come Monday where my friends on my course derided me for spending so much on "a loving chair" (yup) I did some googling and found a few London-based companies that sell prebuilt Aeron chairs at a substantial discount and with 48-hour delivery. I was able to cancel my original order (though I had to put up with a 2% non-refundable transaction fee) and ordered one of these "Fast Aerons". I did double-check to confirm that it wasn't a refurbished model or anything amiss like that. It comes with the standard 12-year warranty. They had a model very similar to what I originally ordered for about £750, but I thought as I was spending so much "ahh, gently caress it" and got the one with the polished aluminium base and linkage, total price: £899 (free delivery), a good £90 saved in money and a saving of 37 days of delivery too.

I had earlier sat in an Aeron chair once (well, numerous times over a 3-day period), in late 2007. I remember liking it pretty well.

It's due to arrive sometime tomorrow, would anyone be interested in a review/pics/anything?