Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009
Haha, my rats will give me kisses. They also like to try to groom my hair, like eyebrows and eyelashes and my goddamn nose hairs. They'll stick their noses in one of my nostrils and try to pry it wider with their clawed paws.

They also stick their noses in my ears. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks guys, must be. They've grown longer every day, so I think soon they'll grow back... I never have candles lit or open flames around so I can't say they got burned off (thank goodness!).

I'm over the moon about these guys :3: they're constantly licking my fingers and hands. It's sickeningly cute.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

EVG posted:

Oh god, Rat Kisses. Be careful. I leaned in too close to say hi to one of my girls (the sweetest thing) and the must have smelled food on my breath or been confused, because she LATCHED onto my lip and gave me a big tear pulling away.

Ow, it hurts remembering it.
Ouch, I've had this happen to my finger (mistaken for a delicious grape) and it was bad enough. They have really poor eyes, I have to remember to always come in slowly for kisses.

Indigestable
Jul 26, 2007
And immoveable.

Slinky Weasel posted:

Haha, my rats will give me kisses. They also like to try to groom my hair, like eyebrows and eyelashes and my goddamn nose hairs. They'll stick their noses in one of my nostrils and try to pry it wider with their clawed paws.

They also stick their noses in my ears. :3:

My Moose comes up and grabs my lower lip to pull my mouth open, then climbs half inside and inspects my teeth.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Uh yeah the closest I'll let my boys get that way is for them to inspect my hair really. Never got into the 'letting animals into your mouth' thing, me.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Wow, me either :lol:

Indigestable
Jul 26, 2007
And immoveable.
It's more of a forcible surprise attack. She's learned to take "No mouth rape!" for an answer.

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009

Indigestable posted:

It's more of a forcible surprise attack. She's learned to take "No mouth rape!" for an answer.

I try not to let my rats in my mouth, but when when their sharp claws touch my lip it makes my mouth open.

I don't your help with my dental hygiene rats. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Get really long hair then, they seem to find that more interesting.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Skin question. One of my young'uns has funny little bumps on her shoulders. They feel like... well, like tiny zits. Her sister/cagemate doesn't have any such bumps, so I'm pretty sure it's not parasites, or even contagious. It's the first time I've seen anything like it in 5 years and 7 rats. Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So, my rat seems to have developed a small lump under her throat. I'm not sure it's anything, and she seems really energetic as always. She did make a squeak randomly I don't remember her ever making, but I don't think that's related. I know rats are prone to cancer, so I'm a bit worried. Hopefully it's nothing, but what should I do?

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

neongrey posted:

Get really long hair then, they seem to find that more interesting.

Shadow0 posted:

So, my rat seems to have developed a small lump under her throat. I'm not sure it's anything, and she seems really energetic as always. She did make a squeak randomly I don't remember her ever making, but I don't think that's related. I know rats are prone to cancer, so I'm a bit worried. Hopefully it's nothing, but what should I do?

Its vet time for you guys.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

One of our cutest rats (Thelma) recently got a poo stuck to her foot. We gave her a bath and it was actually the easiest rat bath ever, she was completely calm and didn't seem to mind at all.

Ever since then though, we keep seeing her climb up into the corner of the cage (Critter Nation) and do her poo business up in the air like that. So we moved the litter box into that corner and now they fall down nicely into the box. I guess she decided Never Again to poo-foot!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I've wanted rats as pets since I was about 13, but I've never had the chance to get any due to my mother's intense dislike of the creatures. More recently because both the place I'm renting now doesn't allow pets on the lease and I just really haven't had much time to devote to a pet even if I was allowed one.

But now I'm earning more money and I have more time so I was wondering how to go about broaching owning rats with the landlord and my housemates.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
Hey guys. Has anyone ever had trouble getting their ratties to eat Oxbow's Regal Rat? I've tried and gone through several bags of just having it collect dust in the food bowl. It's gotten to the point where my girls starve themselves because they refuse to touch it.

And now because of this they won't eat any rat food because they've been given fresh veggies and cooked meats only given to them as a temporary alternative. I am now trying to give them the Harlan rodent block. They seem to like it ok. Actually, I only see them reluctantly take nibbles on rare occasions. I guess I've solved my finicky eaters dilemma...for now.

I must've done something wrong. We'll see. In the meantime, I've got an almost full bag of Regal Rat that I don't know what to do with. The pet shop most certainly won't take it back. Worst 10 bucks ever spent on the rats. I'm so sad about it too because it's probably the best thing I can give them that doesn't have corn and other unnatural crap. :argh:

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake

Lord Windy posted:

I've wanted rats as pets since I was about 13, but I've never had the chance to get any due to my mother's intense dislike of the creatures. More recently because both the place I'm renting now doesn't allow pets on the lease and I just really haven't had much time to devote to a pet even if I was allowed one.

But now I'm earning more money and I have more time so I was wondering how to go about broaching owning rats with the landlord and my housemates.

My flatmates were pretty easy to convince by explaining how intelligent, social and awesome rats are, and by promising they wouldn't smell (and if they did, they'd live in my room). Also that the rats would obviously be my responsibility, they wouldn't be required to look after them at all, and if I was ever away I'd be happy to pay them to pet-sit. Now that I have my rats my flatmates have pretty much fallen in love with them and so it worked out well. :) I do put a lot of effort into spot-cleaning the cage every day and wiping up puddles so it doesn't get smelly.

You could ask your landlord whether they'd consider letting you have a caged pet? My lease also said "no pets", but when I brought it up (however this was before I signed it, as getting rats was really important to me) they said that was more to stop people keeping dogs/cats, and a small animal would be fine. I made a big mistake by not getting their permission in writing though, and we've since fallen out (the flat is in terrible condition and they never fix anything, so we're constantly at odds) and I worry a lot about whether they'd use the fact I'm keeping rats against me. As a result, whenever they come round now I hide the cage and take the rats to my boyfriends. Luckily here in the UK your landlords aren't allowed to visit without prior warning, so it's not too difficult. Stressful, though!

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Mongoloid Joe posted:

Hey guys. Has anyone ever had trouble getting their ratties to eat Oxbow's Regal Rat? I've tried and gone through several bags of just having it collect dust in the food bowl. It's gotten to the point where my girls starve themselves because they refuse to touch it.

I've actually heard of this a lot; some rats just really hate the taste of Regal Rat. My potbellied velocirattors don't bother letting small things like taste stop them, so I haven't had it happen personally.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Mongoloid Joe posted:

What's wrong with feeding them fresh? There are lots of good recipes for complete rat diets out there, to make sure they get all their nutrition.

They don't eat the block because it doesn't taste good.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Lord Windy posted:

Chakattack! posted:

You could ask your landlord whether they'd consider letting you have a caged pet? My lease also said "no pets", but when I brought it up (however this was before I signed it, as getting rats was really important to me) they said that was more to stop people keeping dogs/cats, and a small animal would be fine. I made a big mistake by not getting their permission in writing though, and we've since fallen out (the flat is in terrible condition and they never fix anything, so we're constantly at odds) and I worry a lot about whether they'd use the fact I'm keeping rats against me. As a result, whenever they come round now I hide the cage and take the rats to my boyfriends. Luckily here in the UK your landlords aren't allowed to visit without prior warning, so it's not too difficult. Stressful, though!
Caged pets also aren't a problem for landlords/agents in Australia. I can't see why any landlord would have a problem with it - maybe offer to pay a pet bond or something?

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 31, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

What's wrong with feeding them fresh? There are lots of good recipes for complete rat diets out there, to make sure they get all their nutrition.

They don't eat the block because it doesn't taste good.

Near as I can tell, regal rat has a pretty strong taste of apples. If your rats don't like apples, they won't like the regal rat.

Fresh is best but I tried the stuff out once just to see how mine liked it and mine would not, would not, would not touch the stuff and since it was all I had for a couple days, I got really nervous and resorted to pouring tomato juice and stuff on it since they love tomatoes... nothing.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009

neongrey posted:

Near as I can tell, regal rat has a pretty strong taste of apples. If your rats don't like apples, they won't like the regal rat.

Fresh is best but I tried the stuff out once just to see how mine liked it and mine would not, would not, would not touch the stuff and since it was all I had for a couple days, I got really nervous and resorted to pouring tomato juice and stuff on it since they love tomatoes... nothing.

I've tried too. I've crushed the Regal Rat and mixed with baby food, greens, bananas, you name it. I've tried masking it in so many ways. The funny thing is that the girls love apples. Just not regal rat. They know when it's regal rat. I just want to give them a proper base food, supplementary to the fresh stuff.

Maybe I just need to think of better recipes that do a better job of hiding the Oxbow.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I don't know that there's anything that'll cover it up. God help me I tried bacon grease in an irrational fit of 'holy poo poo my rats are going to starve' and that still didn't work.

My rats won't touch real apples either.

HappierGarden
Jul 16, 2009
Been awhile since I posted about Splinter. Since last time I adopted another male rat who I thought was around the same age as Splinter from Kijiji, when I went to go see the rat he seemed a bit wheezy but the girl "assured me" that she'd taken him to the vet and he just had a bit of a "pet store flare up". It seemed fishy but the rex ratty Bernard stole my heart and I just had to "save him".

I kept him away from Splinter in a separate cage while I monitored the situation and tried introducing them on neutral ground a few times but ultimately I think he was older and or sicker then he was letting on and he passed :( I was pretty upset at myself for not doing more but I have no idea what kind of life he lived before I brought him home, but at least his last month with us he hopefully felt loved and he really loved the new bed I got him :(

Ugh rat death is just awful I cried forever, I don't know what i'll do when Splinter dies. He's been my first real pet and someone who has depending on me.

It's been about month since Bernard died and I finally decided to use his cage to attach to Splinter because I was reading in a book that untreated cages are bad for ratties as they might chew on the wires and digest rust

He is a spoiled rat!

He's not quite use to it yet and has only been staying in that front part. He just doesnt quite grasp the purple staircase thing. He was pretty upset that I switched everything up on him and got a bit of a "bloody" nose for a bit after I put him in - I felt so bad! So I'm gonna try this out for abit and if he doesn't get comfortable in it after a couple days maybe i'll switch it back.

I just got the wheel yesterday too, though he hasnt shown interest in it yet. I've tried to introduce him to a different type before that was a bit bigger but maybe it's cause even after sanitation he could smell the hedgehog on it? I'm not sure but he never used it.

So I'm trying a different type that I saw a rat laying on at Pets mart so hoping maybe he'll like it too.

Now trying to decide if I should ever try to buy a buddy for Splinter. I'm constantly worried about him being a single rat and if he's bored or depressed. But he's been alone for about 5 months now and I spoil him rotten and he always seems like he's having a good time. But still, I'm not always there and picked up more hours at work. Me giving him at least 30ms a day makes me sad though that he might get lonely.

He seemed to be getting along with Bernard (although he did the hump-to-dominance thing and they got in a bit of scuff. I just don't want to buy a rat and then Splinter die and the cycle continues.

/end lots of rat thoughts

HappierGarden fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 2, 2011

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Maybe you could buy two? I've only had my first pair of rats for a couple of months now so I'm by no means an expert on the subject, but I always thought when one of mine goes (hopefully not for a long time!) I'd get two to pal around with the other. When she goes too, the new pair will have each other and be used to each other and know each other pretty well.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

When we get down to 1 rat, it's time to go get 2 more. :shobon:

Thelma continues to climb up the side of the cage and poop from up there, weirdest thing I've ever seen a rat do and I don't think she's going to stop. I've started calling her Sky Marshall Thelma.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a question about rat fur. My rats are 2 months old now, and one is a bit of a runt, who is also rex. Over the past week it looks like either his fur is thinning or it's falling out because I can now see more skin than fur. Any ideas on why this would be?

Slinky Weasel
Oct 20, 2009

NaDy posted:

I've got a question about rat fur. My rats are 2 months old now, and one is a bit of a runt, who is also rex. Over the past week it looks like either his fur is thinning or it's falling out because I can now see more skin than fur. Any ideas on why this would be?

He's either got horrible, horrible mange, ooooor more likely is actually a double rex. Google pictures of double rex rats and see if any of them match yours. The amount of fur/skin showing can vary greatly, fyi. (I would also make sure that he doesn't have any external parasites that would make his fir fall out. >> )

nazitra
Nov 5, 2010

Goddamnit you guys, you have plenty of bigger places to sleep, why do you do this?!

Glasgow
Nov 7, 2009

Must you betray me with a kiss?
Years ago I had a roommate who had rats, and I always thought they were fun, cute little critters. So I added a trio of rats to my menagerie this week. I looked through the homemade diets in the OP, and it all works really well with the diets I have for my chinchillas and rabbits. Animal protein is the only thing I don't really have around the house, so I wanted to ask, just to be sure: is it alright for them to have whole chicken bones? I grew up always hearing "Don't let the cat/dog get the chicken bones out of the trash!" so I'm kinda paranoid about it.

My new, as yet unnamed, pets:

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I have never had problems with rat introductions. I have a 2yo intact female and two 1yo neutered male brothers.

Two weeks ago I took a 6mo neutered boy from Craigslist. Owner disclosed he had bitten her daughter and was giving him away for free. I was looking for a baby female but was worried he would end up snake food. Poor guy was scabby and skinny, and had been living alone for months. He has gained some weight, his skin has cleared up after a bath and better diet, and he has calmed down considerably. No hint of either people or rat aggression from him, he does not even accidentally nip fingers when you give him something small like a Cheerio. He is obviously lonely and has snuggled with my female with no issue.

We had some introduction time on neutral territory and everyone seemed to get along fine. When I put them all back into their freshly-cleaned cage, my older boys starting acting very strange. The big brother has turned into a total drama queen, squeaking and squealing every time something remotely startles him. The smaller brother sidles and snorts and puffs up and viciously tries to attack the new guy. I separated them before anyone was hurt, but he tried to attack again while I was holding them both in my lap the next day. I have had them in cages next to each other since then, and aggro male still has not exhausted himself.

These older boys are kind of :downs: because their mother was on death's door with surgery and multiple medications while pregnant, rescuer did not check, not that it mattered. But when they were 3mo they lived with two elderly males with no issue, and this little guy is doing absolutely nothing to provoke them. Has anyone had a rat that got over something like this, or should I just find a baby girl companion for the new guy? My cage is a Critter Nation so it can be divided, though briefly I had the new guy alone in the bottom half and aggro idiot was almost killing himself to get through the barrier (I added some cardboard) and kick rear end.

I really do not want to divide my cage if it can be avoided. Seven years, over a dozen rats' experience, I have never seen anything like it.

^^^Chicken bones splinter, that is why they are no good for dogs and cats. But rats grind up the bones, they love them.

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 11, 2011

ElectricSquire
Aug 21, 2005

Glasgow posted:

I don't know what it is about brown agouti rats but I :swoon: when I see them :3:

Also cooked chicken bones are perfectly fine for rats, they love them! I tried mine with a roast turkey drumstick bone and it was hilarious to watch them tug-o-war with it :)

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Jin Wicked posted:

Has anyone had a rat that got over something like this, or should I just find a baby girl companion for the new guy? My cage is a Critter Nation so it can be divided, though briefly I had the new guy alone in the bottom half and aggro idiot was almost killing himself to get through the barrier (I added some cardboard) and kick rear end.

I really do not want to divide my cage if it can be avoided. Seven years, over a dozen rats' experience, I have never seen anything like it.

Thats a really tough one, I would personally be inclined to just get a baby companion and a seperate living area for the two, because the poor guy doesn't deserve any more stress and he sounds like a good rat who would benefit from a companion. I've never had to cope with aggressive rats though :(

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Big Bug Hug posted:

Thats a really tough one, I would personally be inclined to just get a baby companion and a seperate living area for the two, because the poor guy doesn't deserve any more stress and he sounds like a good rat who would benefit from a companion. I've never had to cope with aggressive rats though :(

I am going to resume looking for a baby girl to house with the new guy, and hope the turd gets over himself eventually.

Fortunately new guy seems to be taking it in stride. No signs of stress and he gets more sociable every day.

It just strikes me as so bizarre because everyone in this situation is neutered.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Jin Wicked posted:

Have you tried bathing everyone and then doing introductions in a bathtub or some other slightly stressful neutral environment (mine don't enjoy the tub for some reason)? I've found the stress helps to distract the aggressive rat. I use vanilla extract to cover their heads, backs, and undersides to help mask scents. Also two weeks isn't that long of time to introduce males to each other. I think the longest I've ever had to do was five weeks. The entire time I was swapping rats between cages every day and doing short visit sessions with everyone covered in vanilla. If the aggressive rat doesn't show signs of calming down by the end of the third week, I'd start looking for a new companion.

Edit: I've reread your post and noticed you have a two level critter nation. The bottom cage probably still smells a little like the brothers and that's why they're freaking out. You really have to soak all of the panels and take the cage outside and pressure wash it in order to get all of the gunk out. I'd put the aggressive ones on the bottom so that they can't attack through the bars as easily. Also, do lots of bedding swaps. I'd still give it another week though.

buffybot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 12, 2011

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Queen Burbleburble posted:

Have you tried bathing everyone and then doing introductions in a bathtub or some other slightly stressful neutral environment (mine don't enjoy the tub for some reason)? I've found the stress helps to distract the aggressive rat. I use vanilla extract to cover their heads, backs, and undersides to help mask scents. Also two weeks isn't that long of time to introduce males to each other. I think the longest I've ever had to do was five weeks. The entire time I was swapping rats between cages every day and doing short visit sessions with everyone covered in vanilla. If the aggressive rat doesn't show signs of calming down by the end of the third week, I'd start looking for a new companion.

Edit: I've reread your post and noticed you have a two level critter nation. The bottom cage probably still smells a little like the brothers and that's why they're freaking out. You really have to soak all of the panels and take the cage outside and pressure wash it in order to get all of the gunk out. I'd put the aggressive ones on the bottom so that they can't attack through the bars as easily. Also, do lots of bedding swaps. I'd still give it another week though.

That is my usual procedure and maybe I have been spoiled.

I keep only neutered males and females, and until now never had more than some boxing.

The sissy male has shown signs of calming down but aggro male is still snorting, puffing up, and trying to attack. He only does it when he actually sees the new rat, though. The scent does not seem to affect him, either in the cage or on my clothing and hands. Everything is perfectly normal until new guy gets within three to five inches of him, then he goes nuts. Like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde nuts. I had new guy on the bottom level because the three resident rats use the exercise wheel and that is strapped to the inside top of the cage. I have the deep metal Bass pans, they are a tight fit in the cage so other than the hole for the ramp there is no access to the bottom. If I do finally have to divide the cage and cannot figure out how to work in a second wheel, I am going to put a piece of sheet metal over the hooked-up ramp.

Aggro male is my spoiled lap rat, but I have been working with new rat lately to socialize him. Maybe he is jealous? :rolleyes:

Anyway, good to know this is somewhat normal and I do not have a tiny furred psychopath on my hands.

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 12, 2011

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Does anyone have any experience with boarding their rats when they're out of town for a while? We're going on vacation in May for a week and we don't have a roommate to keep an eye on the girls any more. I think our vet can do boarding but we're gonna feel bad if they don't get to do any running around for a week, since they have at least an hour of free ranging every day with us. I don't think we have any friends nearby who'd be willing to check in and play with them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

nazitra posted:

This is hilarious.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

squidtarts posted:

Does anyone have any experience with boarding their rats when they're out of town for a while? We're going on vacation in May for a week and we don't have a roommate to keep an eye on the girls any more. I think our vet can do boarding but we're gonna feel bad if they don't get to do any running around for a week, since they have at least an hour of free ranging every day with us. I don't think we have any friends nearby who'd be willing to check in and play with them.

I board with my vet so if an emergency happens, I know they will take care of it and we can work out the payment later.

None of my friends or family is rat knowledgeable and my vet usually makes a deal if I bring them in their own cage.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I totally forgot you could give them bones.

So after supper today my trio got one cooked chicken drumstick bone each. :D

I love giving them food they've never had before.

"Hmm whats this, I dunno, maybe a nibb-HOLY poo poo GIVEITGIVEITGIVEIT."

EDIT: And despite there being 3 bones and 3 rates. They are still having tug of wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rats are so dumb uuggh. One of mine was in such a rush to get the BEST PIECE OF PASTA AAAA when I put their food out that she managed to choke, at 3 in the morning. I didn't notice until I picked her up and saw she was foaming at the mouth, which kinda made me panic and rush off to google 'the gently caress is wrong with my rat'.

I let her sit on her own and try to work it out, which was incredibly worrying because it's not fun watching your rat drool and drag her face across the floor and generally look unbelievably miserable. I kept watching her for an hour, scared she might start to turn blue and then I'd have to give her some kind of ratty heimlich. Went to get her some water, came back and she was immediately looking much brighter and made grabby hands at me for cuddles. Put her back in the cage and she made a bee-line back for the food, then went to bed. Will she ever understand the terror she caused me? No. drat her.