Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

n0n0 posted:

XBMC won't install onto a Boxee. Or did you mean to say that you were gonna set up the Boxee?

Sorry, I mean that I picked up an Apple TV to see if I can replace my Revo running Boxee. Forgot what thread I was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

MMD3 posted:

the Vudu app looks gorgeous but... $6 for 1080p rentals is a lil steep innit?

Keep any eye out for their 99 cent movie every day. Really quality movies and even some new releases there, and includes HDX.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Does anyone here watch Top Gear (UK) on their boxeee? Season 16 scrapping is all messed up because of the Xmas Special they did and was wondering what I can do to fix it. Some sites have the Xmas special as 16-0 and as 16-1.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Esk1 posted:

Does anyone here watch Top Gear (UK) on their boxeee? Season 16 scrapping is all messed up because of the Xmas Special they did and was wondering what I can do to fix it. Some sites have the Xmas special as 16-0 and as 16-1.

My boxee has never scraped anything on my network, i always go to files -> browse

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Esk1 posted:

Just about everywhere still has these screwed up. Eventually, it'll either be moved to specials (0x89) or become 15x10. IMDB currently lists it as the latter, though for a third option, sickbeard currently lists it as 16x01 while including the air date and synopsis of the season premier.

Citycop posted:

My boxee has never scraped anything on my network, i always go to files -> browse

Yeah, you are doing it wrong.

Fishhook
Jul 15, 2004

The specter of me reflected
After the latest update, it finally scans my VIDEO_TS library correctly (like the software version always has). Now the only thing on my wish list is Netflix.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Is it not possible to fast forward or rewind through some video files at all? I was just watching Greenberg (mkv-file, 1080p) and got a call so I paused. I figured it would take a bit longer so I shut the Box down and could always return to the 30 or so minutes mark with the resume feature later.

After the call I tried to resume but the video stuttered while the audio was playing just fine. Tried it two more times but to no avail. So I started from the beginning and tried to skip to the last point I had seen. That just didn't work at all. The video starts to stutter and returns to the beginning.

Every other movie (tried Alice and Triangle, both 1080p mvk's as well) seems to work fine. I can even skip through Greenberg in the boxee software on my old laptop without any problems.

Help? Just wanna watch Greenberg today :(

Edit: All right, I tried to skip through some other movies and it's the same thing. The audio runs fine (for about a minute) but the video just stutters. Could this be hardware related or is it another bug that has to be patched?

AlexF fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 25, 2011

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Is this local content or network content?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

n0n0 posted:

Is this local content or network content?

I'm sorry that should have been mentioned above. It's local from a 1TB Western Digital Elements drive.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

AlexF posted:

I'm sorry that should have been mentioned above. It's local from a 1TB Western Digital Elements drive.
Try this before giving up and returning it: how to perform a factory reset.. Do the reset, try to produce the problem. If it isn't producible, then update to the newest firmware. Try again. If it is producible, try a different external USB drive.

I hope it works :)

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

ThinkFear posted:

Just about everywhere still has these screwed up. Eventually, it'll either be moved to specials (0x89) or become 15x10. IMDB currently lists it as the latter, though for a third option, sickbeard currently lists it as 16x01 while including the air date and synopsis of the season premier.

I should ask my question better, what does boxee use so that I can know what guidelines to follow?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My Boxee Box is hosed. I did the update on the 19th, and everything was fine up until Saturday. On Saturday I went to Apps, and it just comes up with a popup telling me how to add an app to favourites. Hitting the option button and going through the menu won't do poo poo, it just brings me to that screen.

If I go into the repository menu, it shows the ones I have, but when I select one it says there is no content. What? gently caress right off this poo poo was working fine the other day.

I'm changing my tune about this Boxee Box, it may very well be a piece of poo poo.

jonathan posted:

Can anyone tell me is the usb ports on the boxee are "high voltage" type ? As in, can I plug my 500gb non-power supply usb drive into it ? These types of drives (portable) don't work with the lower-power type usb ports, such as on my bluray player.

Gonna go with a big resounding NO on this, I tried with one of my bus-powered externals and it did not work. My big desktop class external with its own power brick works fine though.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 26, 2011

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

VERTiG0 posted:

My Boxee Box is hosed. I did the update on the 19th, and everything was fine up until Saturday. On Saturday I went to Apps, and it just comes up with a popup telling me how to add an app to favourites. Hitting the option button and going through the menu won't do poo poo, it just brings me to that screen.

If I go into the repository menu, it shows the ones I have, but when I select one it says there is no content. What? gently caress right off this poo poo was working fine the other day.

I'm changing my tune about this Boxee Box, it may very well be a piece of poo poo.

Gonna go with a big resounding NO on this, I tried with one of my bus-powered externals and it did not work. My big desktop class external with its own power brick works fine though.

you mean like this post? http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=26895

Try logging out and logging in or restarting the box.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Esk1 posted:

I should ask my question better, what does boxee use so that I can know what guidelines to follow?
A cached copy of the IMDB database stored on their end, with a little bit of TVDB thrown in. I'm going to try and get it to find it on my end and report back.

ThinkFear fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 26, 2011

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

ThinkFear posted:

A cached copy of the IMDB database stored on their end, with a little bit of TVDB thrown in. The easiest way would be to just copy the file a couple times, name them 15x10, 16x00, 16x01, 0x89 and see which one boxee picks up. Though there's no guarantee this won't change, especially if the info is coming from TVDB, which I think it does in this case, given how the rest of the specials are listed under specials/season 0 on the box, as are the episodes on TVDB. I believe IMDB includes the specials as part of the regular seasons. On TVDB the episode is currently listed as 16x00, though none of the other specials are listed as episode 0 of their respective season, so that is probably some idiot editing things he shouldn't and it will be corrected, thus screwing it up again. Fortunately, I can't think of another show that really has this issue, aside from the occasional Christmas episode.

I feared this, Well I have it set up now so I will just mess with it when/if it changes. I haven't had any other problems and I am not too surprised that this show has problems.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Caught that before the edit. I posted it only to realize it was quite convoluted. The simpler solution is to just see for myself.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VERTiG0 posted:

Actually, forgot I answered my own question. 2 externally powered ddrives are supported, or a single powered-via-usb is supported, as per boxee's website. I also tried it, and my drive works fine.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Topgear Update: Boxee insists the Middle East special is 16x01, contrary to any other listing I can find. Personally, I'm going to ignore it for the time being until it is sorted. I'll submit a request to boxee's misidentified shows link and hopefully it should resolve itself. I manually identified it as episode 0 for now, though no synopsis comes up.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was under the impression would could create an .nfo file with the title, and a folder.jpg for those "stubborn" titles that just wont scrape properly.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

ThinkFear posted:

Topgear Update: Boxee insists the Middle East special is 16x01, contrary to any other listing I can find. Personally, I'm going to ignore it for the time being until it is sorted. I'll submit a request to boxee's misidentified shows link and hopefully it should resolve itself. I manually identified it as episode 0 for now, though no synopsis comes up.

I have it set up like boxee wants where middle east ep is 1 and then xmas special is 2. Then sunday's ep is the 3rd of the season. This is so wrong

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Esk1 posted:

I have it set up like boxee wants where middle east ep is 1 and then xmas special is 2. Then sunday's ep is the 3rd of the season. This is so wrong

Unfortunately, that pisses off sickbeard, which insists that the Yeti road test is the start of S16.

Jonathan, they've been promising nfo support for a while. Perhaps next release. Folder.jpg sort of works for movies at the moment, but not tv shows.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

n0n0 posted:

Try this before giving up and returning it: how to perform a factory reset.. Do the reset, try to produce the problem. If it isn't producible, then update to the newest firmware. Try again. If it is producible, try a different external USB drive.

I hope it works :)

Thanks for your help. I tried the factory reset but it auto updates as soon as I turn it on.

Noticed a strange thing though: The files skip just fine while using the German track. As soon as I try to use the second audio track (in this case the OV) the problem starts again.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Next-Gen posted:

you mean like this post? http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=26895

Try logging out and logging in or restarting the box.

The logging out thing worked. Weird, shouldn't have to do it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Beta firmware is out:

http://boxee.zendesk.com/entries/328816-how-do-i-manually-update-the-boxee-software

Boxee Box firmware 1.0.3.17127(released Jan 24th) - Bug Fix's only
This firmware is a fix for anyone having issues with the Red screen and login issue with applications such as NHL , Crunchy roll etc..
As you guys are the forefront of the community please feel free to download and install this version and then get posting your feedback or contact me directly at marcel{at}boxee{dot}tv.

This version is only for bug fix's such as :
# Red screen issues
# Login to applications such as NHL

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Anybody else think the Youtube Leanback and VEVO apps are absolute loving garbage? Tremendously sluggish performance and the worst loving UI ever.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

VERTiG0 posted:

Anybody else think the Youtube Leanback and VEVO apps are absolute loving garbage? Tremendously sluggish performance and the worst loving UI ever.

+1 on the UI loving sucks

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

VERTiG0 posted:

totally agree... I still can't even log into my youtube account with the app. It'd at least be nice to be able to watch the channels I'm subscribed to on youtube.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

VERTiG0 posted:

I can only stand the Youtube leanback if i set up a playlist ahead of time on my PC, which is kinda sad. I can't even get a plain list of subscription videos like I can on the web page (though who knows how long THAT will last), but their dumb auto-feed includes all the random poo poo my subscription people favorited as well. And yeah, it's unresponsive and sluggish.

I realize they insist the browser is a fallback, but I really don't think it's too unreasonable to ask for some bookmarks :argh:

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
So, for those of you who have a Boxee, was it a good purchase for you? I'm just looking for something relatively simple, compared to a full fledged HTPC, and I really like the sound of some of Boxee's apps and its remote. Is it a worthwhile buy? The other big names seem to be Apple TV, WD TV, Popcorn Hour, and then of course the HTPC's, is there anything else on the horizon?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

PoisonedV posted:

So, for those of you who have a Boxee, was it a good purchase for you? I'm just looking for something relatively simple, compared to a full fledged HTPC, and I really like the sound of some of Boxee's apps and its remote. Is it a worthwhile buy? The other big names seem to be Apple TV, WD TV, Popcorn Hour, and then of course the HTPC's, is there anything else on the horizon?

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to play local (network share or external drive) stored media, then a WDTV Live Plus HD will get the job done just fine at $100.

If you want a little more polish to the GUI and internet media capability, get a Boxee Box. Read this thread to get an idea of what it can and cannot do. I am nothing but happy with mine for what I want it to do. Not having to gently caress around endlessly with getting an HTPC to work right is a huge plus.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

PoisonedV posted:

I use it for strictly watching local media and Daily Show/Colbert via the Channels, and it does the job perfectly.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
It does the job for me, making my 2.5TB+ of TV/Movies accessible on the TV.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm quite happy with it now, mostly for the playing of local content off my NAS, but I love the "watch later" feature that lets me click on a bookmarklet to put it in my queue. It's great for when I'm just checking my RSS feed during my lunch break and I can queue up a bunch of stuff to watch when I get home.

Once (if?) it gets netflix it'll be amazing, at least until my ISP starts charging the big bucks for overage fees on their piddly-rear end caps (yay Canada!)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
To me, The Boxee box was never meant to be used for passive entertainment. It's job was to be able to play anything the user threw at it without it breaking a sweat. The box was meant to be configured by the user in terms of what they want.

That's not to say the box doesn't have issues. The 1.0 firmware broke my original box so I've been running the stock 0.9.23 since it was replaced. The NHL Application doesn't run that well for live video. Netflix still hasn't been released after 2 deadlines after Vevo took over 2 months to get in when the box had the placeholder on it's launch. The only way to get Hulu among other programs on it is thru PlayOn. It is still a box that is relatively raw in terms of maturity.

I considered for a well whether to return the box for Roku but I believe once everything is ironed out, the box can be a excellent media device but it will take time for it to do so. Credit should be given to the team for getting the box out of vaporware hell but there is still a lot more work to do before it I could recommend it to my family but anyone who can deal with being a early adopter like myself should be happy with it.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar
Thanks for the advice. I think I will end up picking one up, with plans to build an HTPC later on down the line, when I have more money. (Although that would be for equal parts emulation and media) I'm no stranger to being an early adopter- I've spent far too much time with the GP2X, Wiz, and Pandora to be put off by most of that stuff. The watch later feature sounds fantastic too, and seeing that it already had a VBS.tv app was a nice addition too. Being on the ground floor of software can be exciting, too.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I love mine so far... use it for 70% local content. It handles my MKV files amazingly well even over wireless.

It still has a little polishing that needs to take place but I have faith that they'll iron things out.

I'm also a huge fan of the Watch Later bookmarklet, use it all the time at work when I stumble on something I want to wait to watch when I get home.

The Vudu app (while expensive) is also pretty stellar... we watched a movie last night in standard definition (wasn't an action flick so didn't care if it was in HD) and the standard definition stream looked better than DVD in my opinion... really great quality.

I've also been watching the Daily Show through their app which looks/works great and I'm really liking the "Friend Feed" social element for killing time browsing what friends have posted to facebook or twitter.

The one app that I think needs some serious improvement (but in no way is it Boxee's fault) is the Youtube app... it's pretty garbage as was previously mentioned.

edit: oh, and the true test for me that it's passed with flying colors was the girlfriend test... she never used to try to figure out how to play videos from my PC and move them to the secondary display but she's using the boxee regularly and is totally comfortable with it.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 31, 2011

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Not that anyone was holding their breath, but I'm doubting they're going to release Netflix in the next 3 hours as they promised a month ago. However, the new RC for SP4 is out on the forums:

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=28127

It has some bug fixes and a new signing process, so it will break unsigned apps until they submit it. It sounds shady, but they're claiming they won't refuse to sign apps like navi-x so we'll see. Might be part of what Netflix and other content providers required for serving up content in the future.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Next-Gen posted:

It has some bug fixes and a new signing process, so it will break unsigned apps until they submit it. It sounds shady, but they're claiming they won't refuse to sign apps like navi-x so we'll see. Might be part of what Netflix and other content providers required for serving up content in the future.

Can someone explain what the deal with the Navi-X is? I understand that Netflix doesn't want their service to be available on a system that allows Navi-X to be on there, but why? I can't really see what Navi-X is doing that would take away from Netflix's business.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PoisonedV posted:

Can someone explain what the deal with the Navi-X is? I understand that Netflix doesn't want their service to be available on a system that allows Navi-X to be on there, but why? I can't really see what Navi-X is doing that would take away from Netflix's business.

You can't see why Netflix might object to being on a platform that allows a giant, easy-to-stream pirated movie repository to be freely installed?

Of course it's direct competition, and on a playing field they'd never be able to compete on (legally).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

BorderPatrol posted:

You can't see why Netflix might object to being on a platform that allows a giant, easy-to-stream pirated movie repository to be freely installed?

Of course it's direct competition, and on a playing field they'd never be able to compete on (legally).

I guess I didn't actually understand what it was, the website made it seem like something entirely different. I mean, it's not like it would be much harder to just pirate things and use the local hard drive for pirated materials that way, so I guess even know what it is I don't see how it's that different.

• Locked thread