Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

IRQ posted:

I'm almost 20% through and it still feels like prologue and world building.

I know it's supposed to be a huge series but ugh. I can deal with that sort of thing, but I expected more fast paced stuff from Sanderson. Characters I had just begun to care about have utterly disappeared to be replaced by ones I just don't like or care about at all.

I know I'm not very far in yet but this is proving to be a slog that none of his other books have been.

Are you reading or listening? Reading was pretty great, listening killed me before I got through the prologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Reading, I can't do long fiction as audiobooks.

What really kills me is that he was building up those two characters and then boom they're gone here's some boring princes in HALO suits hunting that big bug from Starship Troopers. I'm sure it gets better, I just wasn't expecting this.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

It took me over half the book to get to the point where I minded having to do something else while reading.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I had that problem too while I was reading it. It was about 60 or 70 percent of the way through that I got fully invested in the characters. I was always slightly annoyed when he would change charcter POVs, but the chapters would be interesting enough that I'd be involved again pretty quickly.

I 'only' liked the book as I was reading it. It wasn't until I finished it that I realized I'd read a great book and loved it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Superstring posted:

I had that problem too while I was reading it. It was about 60 or 70 percent of the way through that I got fully invested in the characters. I was always slightly annoyed when he would change charcter POVs, but the chapters would be interesting enough that I'd be involved again pretty quickly.

I 'only' liked the book as I was reading it. It wasn't until I finished it that I realized I'd read a great book and loved it.

It's odd, it was a similar situation for me during the Mistborn trilogy. I liked the first book all the way through, but the second and third books weren't terribly compelling until I finished the whole series. The story, taken as a whole, was great, but before I reached the end I wasn't exactly enthralled. It was a very strange feeling after all was said and done.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Just finished the Mistborn books (:aaaaa: at the ending of Hero) and got sent here from the Bad Thread. I grabbed a copy of Way of Kings a while ago, and I'll be reading it after I finish House of Leaves. After what he did with just a trilogy, I'm psyched for the kinds of things he can set up with a ten-book series.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Che Delilas posted:

It's odd, it was a similar situation for me during the Mistborn trilogy. I liked the first book all the way through, but the second and third books weren't terribly compelling until I finished the whole series. The story, taken as a whole, was great, but before I reached the end I wasn't exactly enthralled. It was a very strange feeling after all was said and done.

Someone else said it on the boards recently (don't remember where, all of the fantasy threads bleed together) but I felt like the first Mistborn book did itself a disservice by being such a complete story that reading books two and three felt unnecessary. I went onto Sanderson's commentaries and read about books 2/3 rather than reading them flat out, and I don't feel that I missed out.. It was more of a feeling of 'oh he did that? that's cool i guess', but nothing more. I'm considering reading some of his other stuff since I've only read the first Mistborn but after my crack at the second Mistborn I'm not sure which books would hold my interest.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rootbeer Baron posted:

Someone else said it on the boards recently (don't remember where, all of the fantasy threads bleed together) but I felt like the first Mistborn book did itself a disservice by being such a complete story that reading books two and three felt unnecessary. I went onto Sanderson's commentaries and read about books 2/3 rather than reading them flat out, and I don't feel that I missed out.. It was more of a feeling of 'oh he did that? that's cool i guess', but nothing more. I'm considering reading some of his other stuff since I've only read the first Mistborn but after my crack at the second Mistborn I'm not sure which books would hold my interest.

Try Warbreaker. It's self-contained, pretty well-written, and, best of all, you can read the whole thing for free. Sanderson's got a PDF of it posted on his site in the Warbreaker section.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Kreeblah posted:

Try Warbreaker. It's self-contained, pretty well-written, and, best of all, you can read the whole thing for free. Sanderson's got a PDF of it posted on his site in the Warbreaker section.

I did this, and I used Calibre to convert it to Kindle format.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rootbeer Baron posted:

I found the way it all came together at the end pretty remarkable. The mystery is revealed so gradually that you never feel as if any progress is being made, but then you hit the end and everything comes rushing back into your conscious mind. Never before have I been so indifferent during the reading of a series while being so satisfied at its conclusion. I think you've probably missed the full effect by not reading it through, but I don't really blame you for not wanting to.

I'll recommend Warbreaker too. Sanderson's fondness for tying every tiny little event together at the end in one big explosion of epiphany is much easier to deal with in a one-volume story like this. I do hope he refines his 2nd-act pacing a bit for Stormlight Archives.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

I found the way it all came together at the end pretty remarkable. The mystery is revealed so gradually that you never feel as if any progress is being made, but then you hit the end and everything comes rushing back into your conscious mind. Never before have I been so indifferent during the reading of a series while being so satisfied at its conclusion. I think you've probably missed the full effect by not reading it through, but I don't really blame you for not wanting to.

I'll recommend Warbreaker too. Sanderson's fondness for tying every tiny little event together at the end in one big explosion of epiphany is much easier to deal with in a one-volume story like this. I do hope he refines his 2nd-act pacing a bit for Stormlight Archives.

He definitely realizes that the "Sanderson Avalanche" is a problem and is working on it. I have seen words to that effect somewhere, though I can't for the life of me remember exactly where.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NinjaDebugger posted:

He definitely realizes that the "Sanderson Avalanche" is a problem and is working on it. I have seen words to that effect somewhere, though I can't for the life of me remember exactly where.

It's somewhere in the annotations.

To be honest, almost all of the 'drag' is in the second book. The third is much faster-paced. The second book has a lot of exposition and convoluted politiking for most of the middle half.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ConfusedUs posted:

It's somewhere in the annotations.

To be honest, almost all of the 'drag' is in the second book. The third is much faster-paced. The second book has a lot of exposition and convoluted politiking for most of the middle half.

Ah, I never did get around to reading his Mistborn trilogy annotations, I should do that sometime. It's good to hear he is aware of the problem. Jim Butcher posted/blogged about this kind of thing actually, but he calls it the "Great Swampy Middle," referring to the second act of a story and how a writer can easily get bogged down and have trouble keeping momentum. "Sanderson Avalanche" made me grin though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

IRQ posted:

Reading, I can't do long fiction as audiobooks.

What really kills me is that he was building up those two characters and then boom they're gone here's some boring princes in HALO suits hunting that big bug from Starship Troopers. I'm sure it gets better, I just wasn't expecting this.

It's actually kinda cool because, wiht the exception of Shallan, who I still don't get the reasoning behind the transitions to her storyline, you meet all of the other characters as the story gets to where they are.

You meet Kal. Get a little story with him. He gets to the war camp, and THEN you meet Dalinar and Sadeas and Dalinar's son.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thinking about it, the best way I can praise Sanderson's tWOK is by saying I almost want him to finish the second book before A Memory of Light. Like 60/40 divided on it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dickeye posted:

It's actually kinda cool because, wiht the exception of Shallan, who I still don't get the reasoning behind the transitions to her storyline, you meet all of the other characters as the story gets to where they are.

You meet Kal. Get a little story with him. He gets to the war camp, and THEN you meet Dalinar and Sadeas and Dalinar's son.
Well, her story happens concurrently, so as another presumably important character in the story we want to keep up-to-date on her arc while it's happening. I certainly prefer that to an entire book of "this is what happened to other characters during the events of the last book" (ahem, Crossroads of Twilight). Beyond that, Shallan's arc serves to alleviate the mood of the rest of the book with some normalcy; without her, the whole book would be a monotone of war and death and horror.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Thinking about it, the best way I can praise Sanderson's tWOK is by saying I almost want him to finish the second book before A Memory of Light. Like 60/40 divided on it.
I'm interested to see where it goes, but I'm far more eager to close out the WoT, it's been such a long time coming.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

I'm interested to see where it goes, but I'm far more eager to close out the WoT, it's been such a long time coming.
Yeah it's been a long-awaited payoff for WoT, but now I know I'll have a new book series to look forward to once it's (finally) over.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Shallan is not going to pay off until later books.

Agreed. Can't wait for AMoL, but tWoK was so good that I'm not sure which I would rather see first.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

AMoL, because then you'll finally know how it ends after waiting 20 years.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Ika posted:

AMoL, because then you'll finally know how it ends after waiting 20 years.

some of us only started 10 years ago :smug:

The more brandon the better, I feel like there's a ton of really great fantasy out right now from several different authors.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

treeboy posted:

Some of us only started 1 year ago :smug:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Some of us only started 1 year ago :smug:

You read all 13 books or whatever in a year?

Holy poo poo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

IRQ posted:

Holy poo poo.

For what it's worth my last re-read (when I bought all the books on Kindle) only took about 10 weeks, inbetween classes and work.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg
I started reading right as The Fires of Heaven was released. I read the first four in a matter of weeks from the library. Then for some reason I thought TFOH was the final book so I actually bought it. That was over 17 years ago. Haha FML. So yeah, some closure would be nice.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

arioch posted:

For what it's worth my last re-read (when I bought all the books on Kindle) only took about 10 weeks, inbetween classes and work.

I got through the first 8 books in two weeks the first time I read them, I was on summer vacation though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

IRQ posted:

Holy poo poo.

Nonononono haha. I finished book 7 this month. I read that one in four days, but that's because it was a library book and I had to go back to school so I read like a madman. It would be pretty difficult for me to read all of them in one year, especially since I often want to take a break and read other books.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

treeboy posted:

The more brandon the better, I feel like there's a ton of really great fantasy out right now from several different authors.

I remember my dad joking about how RJ would die before the series was finished over 10 years ago... :(

I reread the series in the 4 months before TofM arrived, but I'm a fast reader and usually read at least 1-2 hours / day

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Yeah, on my last re-read it took me about 2 or 3 months. The first 6 flew by in 3-5 days, 7-10 took over a week each. And the Sanderson books took all of a day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I read ToM in one day, even though I stayed up way too late doing so. My train of thought was "okay once I get two boring chapters in a row I'll stop."

Then I hit the chapters that were a line of :clint::hellyeah::black101::rock: and couldn't put it down.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
ToM is out on e-book now ...

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
So what are the chances of Kaladin eventually absorbing all the Stormlight and becoming a replacement shard god to fight Odium?

I'm thinking 80%.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

Saradiart posted:

So what are the chances of Kaladin eventually absorbing all the Stormlight and becoming a replacement shard god to fight Odium?

I'm thinking 80%.

Well considering the ending of the Mistborn trilogy I'd have to agree with you on that

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Skavoovee posted:

Well considering the ending of the Mistborn trilogy I'd have to agree with you on that

Given that they all take place in the same universe, it would make pretty much perfect sense for that to happen at some point.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
On the other hand, he could easily turn out to be one of the characters who dies early in the series, inspiring other characters to some kind of action.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Che Delilas posted:

On the other hand, he could easily turn out to be one of the characters who dies early in the series, inspiring other characters to some kind of action.

This seems likely. He does seem like a Kelsier-type character

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot

Dramatika posted:

This seems likely. He does seem like a Kelsier-type character

Ohhh yeah, that'd be a bummer :(

I'm hoping that Vin, Kelsier, Elend and Sazed make an appearance in later Mistborn books. Unless I remember incorrectly I believe Sazed saying he was going to let Vin and Elend rest for a while? Implication (hopefully) being that they'd be back to kick rear end and take names later on

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skavoovee posted:

I'm hoping that Vin, Kelsier, Elend and Sazed make an appearance in later Mistborn books. Unless I remember incorrectly I believe Sazed saying he was going to let Vin and Elend rest for a while? Implication (hopefully) being that they'd be back to kick rear end and take names later on

The other Mistborn trilogies will be taking place way further along in the history of the world, so probably not.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I would be shocked if the ending to Way of Kings is anyone absorbing all the stormlight. I mean, even if it's the same universe, using the same plot device twice isn't just hokey, it's boring. It's not going to happen.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Skavoovee posted:

I hope not. Having characters come back from the dead is one of the quickest ways to cheapen a story and remove the tension from the other stories you write. In most cases, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Unicorn
Aug 4, 2004

I think Sanderson flat out said in some annotations somewhere that they aren't coming back. At least, Vin, Elend and Kelsier aren't. He *has* said that it's possible for Sazed, Marsh or TenSoon to appear in later books, but I am fairly sure he outright specifically said that Vin, Elend and Kelsier won't be back.