Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Splizwarf posted:

I know this thread really doesn't include racing crashes usually, but this one was caused by the failure of an access gate at the worst time possible. Michael Waltrip at Bristol, 1990.

He walked away unhurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlj7F8OJCY

They didn't fix that design until the same thing happened a few years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzCc0hBKYE

Don't ask me how neither died.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

dietcokefiend posted:

More like a year or more ago towards the beginning of the thread ;)

There must be something I'm missing because the quoted post is here, on this page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=57#post387445407

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

xp67 posted:

By 'many pages ago', you mean 'ten posts ago', right?

No, I mean like April 27, 2010.
Depending on how you've set up options on the forum, that would be page 27 of this thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=27#post375992639

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
cross posted from the Subaru thread. This is the clutch fork out of my 98 Impreza that I bought a couple weeks ago. Not sure how the gently caress the happens but it's happened to other people with similar year Subaru's.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Godholio posted:

Are cans the same as they were in 1994? I wouldn't be surprised if they're thinner and made from a different alloy. I have no idea, I just really want someone to throw a soda can into a vacuum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30OFoN-aSQI

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I guess that settles that.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Tip it up and throw it into the brushes, silly.

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Wow, that's unbelievable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What if it's a Roomba instead of an upright?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Then it'll scurry out of the way when you throw the can and bare its teeth at you.

e: wait I'm thinking of a cat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm just waiting to see who the first person to finally break down and start doing hoop stress calculations is.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

InitialDave posted:

I'm just waiting to see who the first person to finally break down and start doing hoop stress calculations is.
They never fail from hoop stresses; the weak spot is the pop-top.

Pressure from freezing generally just blows the bottom out convex, which would decrease internal pressures dramatically, I'd think, and most likely be the worst damage.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

grover posted:

They never fail from hoop stresses; the weak spot is the pop-top.

Pressure from freezing generally just blows the bottom out convex, which would decrease internal pressures dramatically, I'd think, and most likely be the worst damage.

I regularly forget to put sodas in the fridge ahead of time, and find myself cleaning the freezer pretty often. They fail at just about every point I can think of. The most fun cleanup is when one tears all the way down the long way. The bottoms don't pop that often, actually.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Splizwarf posted:

I regularly forget to put sodas in the fridge ahead of time, and find myself cleaning the freezer pretty often. They fail at just about every point I can think of. The most fun cleanup is when one tears all the way down the long way. The bottoms don't pop that often, actually.

I will have to second this with ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE. My best guess would be that ice expands where it wants to. Not always to the ends of a can.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Splizwarf posted:

I'll back this up, they break where ever they feel like it. Always remember to empty the vending machine on the front porch before the temp drops...god that was a mess.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
I wonder if a food saver would make enough vacuum? I have one, canisters and the hose for the canisters (somewhere) if I find all the bits Ill totally do a can.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, for the ice thing, ice forms not necessarily at the top of the can, but whatever point is highest with respect to gravity. That pushes the rest of the soda downward, building up pressure on that side. A can suspended upright in the air would blow the bottom out first.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I haul everything from each coast over this track.

Chips, ice cream, soda, beer, everything. Right next to that track is a section of I-80 at the same altitude. They haul everything there also.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.12469,-105.333352&spn=0.011702,0.027595&t=h&z=15

The only consumer goods I have ever heard of having issues at these altitudes were plasma TVs. Several railroad guys I work with jumped right on the plasma TV bandwagon years ago and many had issues. An acquaintance who does electronic repair did many repairs to plasma TVs. When I first heard of this phenomenon, I was a non believer. But see for yourself.
http://www.google.com/search?q=plasma+TVs+at+high+altitude

You need to add advertising to that for profit.

Mechanical failure thread?

Here you go, something seems amiss here:

It is a 347 engine (based on a 5.0L mustang engine) with a 80-60-08 cast steel stroker crank that powderized itself on a 175-250hp nitrous shot at a organized street race. Note the crank pulley misalignment.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
There is absolutely no upside to purchasing a plasma TV.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Yes there is: :science:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

They tend to have darker blacks and higher refresh rates :shobon:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fayez Butts posted:

They tend to have darker blacks and higher refresh rates :shobon:

They respond faster but the actual refresh rate is still 60Hz.

http://www.best-3dtvs.com/guides/what-does-600hz-sub-field-drive-mean/

Plasmas are cheap, that's their big advantage.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Plasmas are cheap, that's their big advantage.

They wear out in under 7 years, they run very hot, they're quite heavy compared to LCD sets, they absolutely vomit interference on the HF band, and apparently they don't work at high altitude.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Skyssx posted:

They wear out in under 7 years, they run very hot, they're quite heavy compared to LCD sets, they absolutely vomit interference on the HF band, and apparently they don't work at high altitude.

But they still give a nicer picture, at least the better ones do.

Also some of the newer models are barely less energy efficient than LCDs of a similar size (where I live all appliances have an energy use rating so its easy to tell)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Skyssx posted:

You want to keep a TV for more than 7 years?

dissss posted:

But they still give a nicer picture, at least the better ones do.

Bolded the important part. The cheap ones are just awful and flicker (and now I know why :cool: )

Cushy
Oct 11, 2004

The Conqueror
This happened yesterday, maybe not mechanical, but definitely horrible:

It was hit by a plow truck

on the bright side we were able to take the top off, leaving a fully functional bottom, and non of the sleds were hurt, joy!

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Currently rocking a 55" 1080p DLP. It's approaching 5 years of age and there is absolutely no reason to replace it. $1500 new and I just had the bulb replaced free of charge. I don't anticipate it being outdated in the next 10 years.

And don't even mention 3D. That poo poo is so gimmicky and horrible.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

That's actually part of what is wrong with people today. I have a couple very nice led televisions but i also have old school tube televisions from 10+ years ago that work very well for what i need them for. Maybe i'm getting to the old people stage but appliances and electronics used to last back in the day. They were made in the U.S., with foreign parts lots of times, but the majority of my small kitchen appliances are at least ten years old. It would blow your mind to find out i have a twenty year old coffee maker while i have friends that replace theirs at least every two years if not sooner due to them not working anymore.

This is severely offset by the automotive world though. Nowadays i don't even consider a used car unless it has less than twenty thousand or over eighty thousand.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

B4Ctom1 posted:

I haul everything from each coast over this track.

Chips, ice cream, soda, beer, everything. Right next to that track is a section of I-80 at the same altitude. They haul everything there also.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=41.12469,-105.333352&spn=0.011702,0.027595&t=h&z=15

That's almost 4K lower than the tunnel, and almost 6K lower than the pass around the tunnel if you have a 14' trailer.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Toucan Sam posted:

That's actually part of what is wrong with people today. I have a couple very nice led televisions but i also have old school tube televisions from 10+ years ago that work very well for what i need them for. Maybe i'm getting to the old people stage but appliances and electronics used to last back in the day.

I have a picture of me watching those crazy Santa puppet things on TV when I was like 2 years old.

We finally replaced the TV in that picture in 1998, over 20 years later.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
CRT tv's may "work" for 20 years, but the picture gets so dim over such a period (unless you bought one with some ungodly amount of getters in the tube) that it becomes very difficult to watch.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I have a black and white television at my moms that still worked great when i was there at Christmas and decided to mess with it. My oldest televisions are Zenith stereo monitors and they are 15+ years old and still work great.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

EightBit posted:

CRT tv's may "work" for 20 years, but the picture gets so dim over such a period (unless you bought one with some ungodly amount of getters in the tube) that it becomes very difficult to watch.

My parents had an old Mitsubishi that was about to break the 15 year mark when one night it went from decent picture one night to picture the size of a pinhead the next.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Toucan Sam posted:

That's actually part of what is wrong with people today. I have a couple very nice led televisions but i also have old school tube televisions from 10+ years ago that work very well for what i need them for. Maybe i'm getting to the old people stage but appliances and electronics used to last back in the day. They were made in the U.S., with foreign parts lots of times, but the majority of my small kitchen appliances are at least ten years old. It would blow your mind to find out i have a twenty year old coffee maker while i have friends that replace theirs at least every two years if not sooner due to them not working anymore.

This is severely offset by the automotive world though. Nowadays i don't even consider a used car unless it has less than twenty thousand or over eighty thousand.

I understand this sentiment. My parents have a mitsubishi big screen that last 13 years, and they still have another going strong in its 16th year. They also had a microwave that lasted almost 30 years, apparently when Litton decides to make consumer good, they decide to do it right.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
tv talk is nice guys but at least the soda can chit chat was related to something failing mechanically. blowed up poo poo is cool to look at and watch so can we not derail the thread into being closed for going way off topic?

Dexter Stratton
May 25, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

tv talk is nice guys but at least the soda can chit chat was related to something failing mechanically. blowed up poo poo is cool to look at and watch so can we not derail the thread into being closed for going way off topic?

This is not a mechanical failure but it is something blowing up and is also a tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvqf655x5Xo

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Beast Pussy posted:

I once moved into a house and found an old TV from the 70's in one of the rooms. As I was a poor student with no TV I adopted it and it worked for about a week. Then one night at about 3am while I was asleep I awoke to bright blue flash, a cloud of smoke and an awful smell.

Afterward, the screen looked a bit like the one in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfRiZe09S90

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

EightBit posted:

Hold on now, that depends a lot on if you're watching ten hours a day or ten hours a week. :colbert:

Don't ask about my computer monitor.

... I went looking for something relevant and this becomes fascinating at about 51 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKnMJrAKp-o&feature=related

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Skyssx posted:

There is absolutely no upside to purchasing a plasma TV.

Except if you want the best picture quality available, you aren't going to find it on an LCD. Oh yeah, I also like being able to look at my TV from any angle and have the picture look the same. My 2 year old Pioneer Kuro Elite still has a better picture than anything you can buy today for under $20,000. As for EM interference, sure maybe if you bought a "Sorny" or "Samung" TV you might have some, but the well made brands don't have any. The FCC certifications exist for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009
I don't know if this stuff is a repost yet, but it's relevant. You'd be surprised how weak metal containers are against gas pressure. Here's a train tanker that someone made the mistake of sealing after the interior was steam cleaned. The air inside cooled, and the pressure difference.. well..

Only registered members can see post attachments!