Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cross-posting from the Linux thread...

Does anyone out there have a Sandy Bridge i7 and want to waste 15-20 minutes doing a kernel build for me? It'd be best if you're running Fedora 14. Just grab the tarball of the 2.6.37 kernel, extract it, do a 'make old config' and then 'time make -j10'

I know since we don't have the same RAM/disks/etc it won't be a scientific comparison, but I'd like to see how much faster the current systems are than my previous-gen i7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Building through a VM acceptable?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

movax posted:

Building through a VM acceptable?

Go for it, curious to see how it performs. I'd like to compare Xen against say, VirtualBox, or VirtualBox on Windows compared to VirtualBox on Linux.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Go for it, curious to see how it performs. I'd like to compare Xen against say, VirtualBox, or VirtualBox on Windows compared to VirtualBox on Linux.

Forgot I didn't have Fedora handy, so I used my Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit VM. VMWare Workstation, gave it one virtual CPU with 4 cores. i7-2600K @ 4.9GHz:
code:
movax@ubuntu-1010vm:~/linux-2.6.37$ uname -r
2.6.35-23-generic

real	16m21.258s
user	401m19.969s
sys	69m14.160s
Didn't have an old .config to feed it unfortunately, so it literally built everything, sorry. Probably not terribly useful info.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
For everyone who noticed my overclocking woes earlier, I return my i5-2500k and P8P67Pro and upgraded to an i7-2600k and P8P67 Deluxe instead (since I had the extra cash) and I got the same bus speed errors I was getting earlier. Turns out there was nothing actually wrong with the earlier setup, it was actually CPU-Z. 1.56 doesn't properly measure the BCLK, however 1.56.2 does. "Problem" solved.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

movax posted:

It just power gates itself off and does nothing. Only way to utilize it is with a H67 or Z61 (not released yet) based motherboard. The Z61 gives you the best of the P67 and H67. Guess it wasn't quite ready for a primetime Q1 release.

Okay, help me out, I've now seen the Z chipset with three different numbers: Z61, Z67, Z68. Which one is it?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Okay, help me out, I've now seen the Z chipset with three different numbers: Z61, Z67, Z68. Which one is it?

Oops, I hosed up, it's the Z68, sorry.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

The Metal Avenger posted:

"Problem" solved.

I hate it when the "problem" is something stupid like that. Oh well, at least you got a reason to get a better CPU/mobo out of it. "Problems" like that can come in handy occasionally I guess.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Got my Cooler Master Hyper 212+ earlier this week and installed it. Temps are significantly lower (barely breaking 60 at full load with Prime95).

Keeping my vcore at 1.25V, I bumped up the multiplier to 42X and tried to run Prime95 - immediate BSOD. Voltage is back to Auto and honestly with the temps where they're at, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll probably go up to 43-44X and call it good.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LordOfThePants posted:

Keeping my vcore at 1.25V, I bumped up the multiplier to 42X and tried to run Prime95 - immediate BSOD. Voltage is back to Auto and honestly with the temps where they're at, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll probably go up to 43-44X and call it good.
I'd recommend OCCT for stress testing, the CPU Torture Test is good for initial testing when you want to see if the CPU is going to quickly overheat or crash, and the Linpack test is great for thorough stability testing (and will heat the CPU up to 10-15C hotter than anything else).

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:
I upgraded myself to the i5-2500K yesterday, and the change in performance (From a wee Pentium E5400, mind) has been amazing. I can capture video from games with near no loss in FPS, can virtualize and emulate like a motherfucker, and everything is extremely responsive.

My old motherboard and processor caused my memory to unfortunately under-preform, and, though I'm using the same memory, that issue has vanished. Surprisingly enough, Windows did not need to be reinstalled after switching to the new motherboard, for which I am pleased. It also allowed me to utilize an older HDD that my old motherboard had disagreed with (It refused to continue booting past BIOS with it connected) The upgrade did break the Hackintosh aspect of the system, but this was expected and I didn't mind greatly.

I was/am a tad irritated with the small stock cooler, but, again, this was expected ahead of time, and when I feel like spending money again, I'll grab an aftermarket cooler before trying any overclocking. All in all, I am very pleased with my purchase, and was able to push my system to right where it needed to be. (An i7 would surely go to waste in my box)

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Unboxed my new computer at work today and, lo and behold, it has a i5-2300 in it (along with 8GB of DDR3-1333 RAM and a 23" widescreen monitor).

:hellyeah:

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
I have a newbish question that may or may not be off topic.

I'm getting a new box with an I5-2400 on an H67 board, along with a GTX 460. I'm interested in running three displays. Is there any chance I'll be able to use the onboard graphics alongside the PCIe card, or will they get disabled? Or is this going to be dependant on the motherboard?

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

afaik you might be able to do that under win2000 or XP, but starting with vista you can only have 1 display driver loaded at once.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Ika posted:

afaik you might be able to do that under win2000 or XP, but starting with vista you can only have 1 display driver loaded at once.

7 lets you mix and max drivers, Vista won't, older ones will I believe.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

FatboYgw posted:

I have a newbish question that may or may not be off topic.

I'm getting a new box with an I5-2400 on an H67 board, along with a GTX 460. I'm interested in running three displays. Is there any chance I'll be able to use the onboard graphics alongside the PCIe card, or will they get disabled? Or is this going to be dependant on the motherboard?

Currently no, but it's in the works. http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20217

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Tried some quick overclocking, this is what i got.

I'm no OC expert but i think voltage and everything looks okay, right?

Any idea though what would cause 10 degrees temperature difference betweeen cores 1 and 2?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

LooKMaN posted:

Any idea though what would cause 10 degrees temperature difference betweeen cores 1 and 2?
The sensors have poor accuracy at low temperatures. Plus it's normal for each core to be slightly different due to lithographical imperfections.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

greasyhands posted:

Currently no, but it's in the works. http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20217

He has a H67, not a P67. Pretty sure the H67 allows integrated GPU to co-exist with standard PEG cards. As long as both the IGP and PEG are active and connected to monitors, everything is fine.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

movax posted:

He has a H67, not a P67. Pretty sure the H67 allows integrated GPU to co-exist with standard PEG cards. As long as both the IGP and PEG are active and connected to monitors, everything is fine.

Well that article is about a workaround for the H67, but I'm not sure about the integrated an ddiscrete at the same time- I thought you couldn't.

edit: Oh I see, I guess you have to have a monitor connected to the integrated to enable it, you can't alternate between both on the same monitor, which is what the workaround I posted enables. Sorry, I guess you can use both as long as you have a multi-monitor setup, but a very important caveat is that you cant drag and drop between displays, which is a pretty big deal if you actually use a multi-monitor setup the way most people do. Sandy Bridge is a loving mess.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 30, 2011

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
Well that sounds a bit gash. I guess I'll wait til the box arrives and see how it goes. Failing that, is there a "normal" way of getting >2 displays that work properly together under Win7? The mobo has 2 x16 slots, do I just need a second card?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Which card do you have now? Some can support more than 1 monitor.

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin

FatboYgw posted:

Well that sounds a bit gash. I guess I'll wait til the box arrives and see how it goes. Failing that, is there a "normal" way of getting >2 displays that work properly together under Win7? The mobo has 2 x16 slots, do I just need a second card?

Yes, using 2 video cards on 16x slots will do exactly what you describe, that's my setup for my 2x Apple Cinemas and Samsung TV. Works pretty flawlessly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

FatboYgw posted:

I don't mean to make a controversial brand-biased post here but you really should be getting AMD videocards if multi-monitor support is important to you, as that's one area where AMD is years ahead of nVidia. AMD videocards (5000-series and higher) support up to 6 monitors per card, and you can combine monitors into a single large display that even works in games, called Eyefinity.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe
What the heck is with a couple of these overclocks I see lately... did some new super ridiculous batch go out?

http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/01/c-n-from-uk-hits-57ghz-on-air-with-p67a.html

Oh my goodness, is that voltage an error or what because that's a little ridiculous.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

slovach posted:

What the heck is with a couple of these overclocks I see lately... did some new super ridiculous batch go out?

http://gigabytedaily.blogspot.com/2011/01/c-n-from-uk-hits-57ghz-on-air-with-p67a.html

Oh my goodness, is that voltage an error or what because that's a little ridiculous.

Either Gigabyte boards read voltages wrong or its photoshopped. That's impossible. People need at least 1.4v to get even 5 Ghz.

slovach
Oct 6, 2005
Lennie Fuckin' Briscoe

fuseshock posted:

Either Gigabyte boards read voltages wrong or its photoshopped. That's impossible. People need at least 1.4v to get even 5 Ghz.

You're right, I'm retarded. There's actually a pic there with Easytune that reads it right... I got excited and skimmed over it.

5 at 1.35 still seems really good.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

slovach posted:

You're right, I'm retarded. There's actually a pic there with Easytune that reads it right... I got excited and skimmed over it.

5 at 1.35 still seems really good.

Yeah, I doubt that is stable for consistent use though. My i5 errored @ 15 hours in Prime95 at 4.6Ghz # 1.35v.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Looks like Intel made a lil' booboo with the chipset guys. Supposedly the fix is coming out next quarter. The fix of course is a chipset redesign so you'd have to get a new mobo.

What a PITA. This isn't nearly as bad as AMD's gently caress up with the original Phenom but its still bad enough.

The official statement: posted:

As part of ongoing quality assurance, Intel Corporation has discovered a design issue in a recently released support chip, the Intel® 6 Series, code-named Cougar Point, and has implemented a silicon fix. In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives. The chipset is utilized in PCs with Intel’s latest Second Generation Intel Core processors, code-named Sandy Bridge. Intel has stopped shipment of the affected support chip from its factories. Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2011/01/31/intel-shares-halted-for-news/?mod=yahoobarrons

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Looks like Intel made a lil' booboo with the chipset guys. Supposedly the fix is coming out next quarter. The fix of course is a chipset redesign so you'd have to get a new mobo.

What a PITA. This isn't nearly as bad as AMD's gently caress up with the original Phenom but its still bad enough.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2011/01/31/intel-shares-halted-for-news/?mod=yahoobarrons

I assume Intel will fund warranty replacements of affected boards. Otherwise they'll be looking at (yet another) class action lawsuit.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yep, saw that filter down when I logged into EDN the other day, I was not happy to hear that :( Why couldn't it have been something other than the SATA controller? :(

I wonder what symptoms will be; reduction in link speed (host sees SATA 3Gbps only), intermittent errors. Worse case it's silently flipping bits as they travel from point A to point B.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
I wonder how this will affect laptops coming out. The station really sucks for Intel, but makes me curious about how QA works on chip design.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

aeiou posted:

but makes me curious about how QA works on chip design.
In this case, they reported SATA problems and were making drive manufacturers panic. I'm glad they 'fessed up before other companies wasted more engineering resources trying to figure out Intel's gently caress-up.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 31, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's going to be a conference call with Intel's CFO and Vice President in 5 minutes. I'll be curious to see what comes out of that.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

aeiou posted:

I wonder how this will affect laptops coming out. The station really sucks for Intel, but makes me curious about how QA works on chip design.

Traditional design verification tools wouldn't have caught this (and they aren't expected too either), because it doesn't seem to be a logic error, more of a manufacturing/layout issue. One of the Intel goons might be able to comment further (they probably can't) but I assume they either modified the layout (perhaps the placement of certain logic was tricky for manufacturing) or manufacturing process to solve the issue.

Better question is when the new chips are going to be flowing out. There are still huge stocks of trays containing 6-Series PCHs sitting in Taiwanese factories. Intel hasn't let my company know if they're going to replace the now essentially defective trays of PCHs sitting in our warehouse.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
The firm expects to see a $300-million dent in first-quarter revenue (since full volume production of 6-series chipsets won't resume until April), not to mention $700 million in total repair and replacement costs.

No real impact really.

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I was hoping that laptops were just around the corner as I have a sister who wants to upgrade, not to something with Sandy Bridge but to at least something with better graphics than she has now (x3100 graphics) Oh well.

Hopefully there's a way that AMD can gain some momentum on this

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ryokurin posted:

Hopefully there's a way that AMD can gain some momentum on this
They've always made bad SATA controllers. What's the big deal? :laugh:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

They've always made bad SATA controllers. What's the big deal? :laugh:

Yes, but AMD's controllers are consistently bad. You knew where you stood. With this, we just don't know about Intel any more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BondGamer
Sep 22, 2004
If you don't put in your 2 cents how can you expect change?
Look on the bright side, before you take it in for replacement you could overclock as fast as it can go. Lets see some 6GHz.