Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
It's really surprising that Gallagher walked off WTFpod, batshit insane or not. The last time he went on Opie & Anthony, he was in a really ugly race argument with Patrice O'Neal and was utterly humiliated, considering Patrice's incredible talent at roasting people. It was really bad. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icevac7jdig

So for him to take that and walk off WTFpod, maybe Marc Maron being so gosh darn liberal is what set him off in that crazy loving head of his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Peter North posted:

It's really surprising that Gallagher walked off WTFpod, batshit insane or not. The last time he went on Opie & Anthony, he was in a really ugly race argument with Patrice O'Neal and was utterly humiliated, considering Patrice's incredible talent at roasting people. It was really bad. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icevac7jdig

So for him to take that and walk off WTFpod, maybe Marc Maron being so gosh darn liberal is what set him off in that crazy loving head of his.

I was at Maron's show on Thursday, and he said that the argument was over what was and what was not funny, not politics at all.

Because we all know that Gallagher is the Arbiter of Comedy.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Peter North posted:

What the gently caress is happening in that youtube clip? Who the gently caress is listening to this stupidity? I love Patrice starts talking about hitting a pussy with a hammer and a reference to watermelons. And the weird Rape jokes. This is terrible.

President Raygun
Mar 7, 2007
Aim for the heart, or you'll never stop me

King Lou posted:

What the gently caress is happening in that youtube clip? Who the gently caress is listening to this stupidity? I love Patrice starts talking about hitting a pussy with a hammer and a reference to watermelons. And the weird Rape jokes. This is terrible.

I thought the whole thing is pretty funny. It's not one youtube video, it's 14. Listen to it all.

Wise Old Shitashi
Nov 5, 2003
Today on CDR-Radio: Brett loving Gelman loving returns. gently caress.

SpeedoJoe
Feb 23, 2006
Just heard the Gallagher episode. He's a pretty terrible comedian. Maron handled it very well and still managed to be witty.

SpeedoJoe fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 31, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Yea I'm no fan of him but Marc did a good job of handling a loving insane guest and that is a sign of skill.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Without knowing who Gallagher is and barely knowing of Maron, Maron seemed to have an axe to grind. I guess context is important.

edit: although it is pretty funny to hear someone storming out.

jyrka fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 31, 2011

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

I just listened to the Gallagher thing. I kind of felt bad for Gallagher and appreciated that Maron could actually step back and recognize that he was perhaps played a part in Gallagher getting so bent out of shape. That being said Gallagher came off pretty crazy. I had no idea he was a chemist (is thats true). He's insanely bitter but whatever, his career has spanned 3 decades on a single premise. It was an entertaining listen.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

jyrka posted:

Without knowing who Gallagher is and barely knowing of Maron, Maron seemed to have an axe to grind. I guess context is important.

edit: although it is pretty funny to hear someone storming out.

Maron always has an axe, in context though it is kinda important to know gllaghar is loving insane, homophobic, bitter, and a general rear end in a top hat. Basically a lot of dudes have an axe for him. No idea if it was posted already but there's an AVclub interview with him generally being a bitter poo poo about the general concept of new comedians not being prop comics.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I haven't gotten to the interview itself, but Marc is pretty upfront in the intro that he came at it from an aggressive context, and that that things escalated unintentionally.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Maron was aggressive but not unreasonably so. Gallagher is a bitter and confused old man who has divorced himself so firmly from reality that he literally cannot understand why it's bad to tell hurtful jokes.

Whether or not he is a homophobe is up in the air. He just can't distinguish why roasters can get away with what they get away with when he is branded a racist. He can't see the boundaries and it's kind of sad to see him impotently crying about not being handed a talk show when he can't even wrap his head around answering questions like "How did you get started in show business?"

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.
I think the only reason Maron came off as aggressive was because Gallagher wasn't making any sense for most of the interview, and wouldn't really let Marc get a word in edgewise. I haven't paid any attention to Gallagher for like 15 years so I wasn't aware of all of the blatantly racial and homophobic material he has. Gallagher to me just seemed like a bitter old gently caress who's time came and went over a decade ago and he doesn't know how to cope.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
My favorite part was where Gallagher claimed to own the rights to the Ninja Turtles but doesn't see a dime from it to to Dutch lawyers or something.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
In other podcast news, I'm loving the fake games that Comedy Death Ray has been doing all year. I still can't get over those sports scores, so many close games!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Groucho Marxist posted:

My favorite part was where Gallagher claimed to own the rights to the Ninja Turtles but doesn't see a dime from it to to Dutch lawyers or something.

I think the ownership is true, actually. Eastman and Laird, I don't think, actually have any ownership of the property, and I remember hearing about Gallagher's involvement elsewhere (not just out of his mouth). I'd more likely believe that than that he tours the country speaking with physicists, at least.

EDIT: My error. Looks like Laird bought out Eastman in 2008, and that they maintained their ownership right up to that point. I still remember hearing that Gallagher was involved with TMNT, but that my be his own mythmaking in other batshit interviews.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 31, 2011

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bobby Malone posted:

In other podcast news, I'm loving the fake games that Comedy Death Ray has been doing all year. I still can't get over those sports scores, so many close games!

There were a ton of blowouts as well though, don't forget about those.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
New episode of Undead Radio is out today! This week we kinda go supernerd, when talking to the lead designer for Magic: the Gathering about the new set out, and then we bs about roller derby!

http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/Undead+Radio

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpeedoJoe posted:

Just heard the Gallagher episode. He's a pretty terrible comedian. Maron handled it very well and still managed to be witty.

The best line was "Marc: Who wants to work state fairs? Gallagher: Everyone"

King Lou posted:

I just listened to the Gallagher thing. I kind of felt bad for Gallagher and appreciated that Maron could actually step back and recognize that he was perhaps played a part in Gallagher getting so bent out of shape. That being said Gallagher came off pretty crazy. I had no idea he was a chemist (is thats true). He's insanely bitter but whatever, his career has spanned 3 decades on a single premise. It was an entertaining listen.

Everything he said about science was wrong.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Wow the Gallagher episode of WTF is hilarious. I only wish this was just a character he created for trolling people instead of, well instead of his real personality.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
All this Gallagher stuff makes the fact that he showed up on Tosh.0 all the more confusing. I can't imagine that was comfortable for anyone.

I think the best part of it is right after Maron tweeted that Gallagher walked out, some guy tweeted "Can you get his brother to finish the interview?".

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Steve Slavery posted:

The best line was "Marc: Who wants to work state fairs? Gallagher: Everyone"

Followed by:

Gallagher: Most comedians are terrible. They should listen to me

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004

Now I'm convinced that Marc Maron shouldn't have that Dan Nanian on WTF. It would be a total train wreck.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010
The F Plus (the other podcast featuring people reading not very good websites) just put out a new episode:

http://thefpl.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:episode-34-a-frottage-in-the-woods&catid=1:podcasts

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Gelman was AWESOME as usual, and Maria Thayer was very good too (redhead from Strangers with Candy). Didn't know she had those comedy chops. + bonus Paul Kinsey guy from Mad Men, aka the hip guy who speaks to Gen X, man. The only thing that could have made it better would have been Chris Elliot (all three were promoting their new Adult Swim show that stars Elliot).

Most importantly, Gelman confirmed there WAS a Christmas story that got interrupted. FUCKKKKKK.

edit: oh yeah Don't Stop or We'll Die tracks too.

Also Carolla had Maron on today, and if you're a Carolla hater/Maron lover you really should listen to it. No Carolla-esque tangents, he's able to stay focused and Maron is all too happy to put himself under the microscope. It was a lot better than their first podcast where they were on two different wavelengths.

Probably the most likable Maron has been in a while. Love his interviews, hate him/his comedy.

Also Carolla/Patton Oswalt was amazing too because Patton just loving brings it everywhere.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 1, 2011

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Not sure if it's 'comedy' but I don't see a general podcast thread so I'll post it here.

Just listened to the latest Giant Bombcast and it was great, do these guys do any other podcasts?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I love Brett Gellman so much.

Where are you getting these news stories, the LIES GAZETTE!

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

shotgunbadger posted:

Not sure if it's 'comedy' but I don't see a general podcast thread so I'll post it here.

Just listened to the latest Giant Bombcast and it was great, do these guys do any other podcasts?

I don't think so, but there is a popular Giant Bomb thread in Games if you haven't seen it yet.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Been catching up on WTF and Patton Oswalt was alright but Rollins was a real good interview, maybe just because I haven't heard much of his spoken word. Gallagher tomorrow while I do dishes I guess... can't wait.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

freeipods posted:

I don't think so, but there is a popular Giant Bomb thread in Games if you haven't seen it yet.

Oh, durp, thanks for the heads up, that would make sense.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I am listening to the Gallagher interview on WTF, and he comes off as a guy who would make you really uncomfortable right away. Like there is just something about him.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The_Rob posted:

I am listening to the Gallagher interview on WTF, and he comes off as a guy who would make you really uncomfortable right away. Like there is just something about him.

I found that interview really hard to listen to, even though I had been looking forward to it. I think there's something about the combination of Gallagher being crazy and Marc having to become more aggressive just to get a word in edgewise that set me on edge.

The sense of entitlement was also really hard to listen to. "Where's my talk show? Dave and Jay had an inside track! Why can't I have a talk show?"

Gallagher's a bit like Piers Anthony--pretty awesome when you were 10, just don't revisit ever again. All I know is going forward, everything is going to get judged on whether it is or is not state-fair-funny.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

Gallagher's a bit like Piers Anthony--pretty awesome when you were 10, just don't revisit ever again. All I know is going forward, everything is going to get judged on whether it is or is not state-fair-funny.

I don't think I ever liked Gallagher (not that I had taste, I was a hulkamaniac) but now I feel very strongly that he's a horrible person.

I love that he really does believe that he is giving some kind of social commentary with the sledge-o-matic.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Looked through the OP/thread and didn't see this mentioned:

Thirty Odd Foot of Pod/TOFOP -
Australian comedian Wil Anderson and his actor mate Charlie Clausen talk bullshit for an hour. Lots of dick jokes and nerdy conversations.

iTunes

Webpage

Episode 1 is the obvious starting point, but episode 12 is absolutely golden.

President Raygun
Mar 7, 2007
Aim for the heart, or you'll never stop me
I love when Patrice called Gallagher by his brother's name in the Opie & Anthony interview. But really, Gallagher is living in the past. He's bitter the world's passed him by.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Gallagher always had to be right.

Marc: Yeah, it's renegade cells...
Gallagher: No, it's runaway DNA! I'm a chemist! :rolleyes:

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Every comic wants to play state fairs!

Also any person who talks about themselves at all isn't a comic.

Gallagher was born to be a barker.

cioxx
Jul 14, 2001

Gallagher belongs to the same class as Larry The Cable Guy and Jeff Dunham. Neither of these three will cop to the fact that they are racist cunts, but you judge a comedian by the audience one serves.

All of these above comedians remind me of this:

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
How in the gently caress does a guy who hits watermelons with a mallet take himself so seriously I don't even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ograbme posted:

How in the gently caress does a guy who hits watermelons with a mallet take himself so seriously I don't even!

That's whats so funny. The whole interview it seemed like he wanted to try and get across that he is just a comedian, and he just tell jokes, but then he would start talking about himself and comedians so seriously. He is an odd dude.

• Locked thread