Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just picked up Jeanne D'Arc, Star Ocean:Second Evolution, and Maverick Hunter X. I have been playing Jeanne D'Arc the most since its the one that I am most unfamiliar with and its kind of enjoyable. I am glad that it is a easier SRPG than most others.

Maverick Hunter X is hit and miss for me. I guess I am the sort that really didnt think it needed to be remade and it feels less new than Powered Up was. The boss intros are all retarded because they are basically the same thing, and the controls have a sort of unresponsiveness to them that I can't pinpoint. Decent game though.

Star Ocean:Second Evolution is the same game as I always remembered, just with voices and drawings that make Rena look even younger than her original portrait from the PSX version. Also, the voices are ok, not too horrible but not too great either. But JESUS CHRIST, this game has one of the most insufferable intros that I have ever seen. Its excruciating since I have sat through it at least 3 different times, but having you play through 2-3 hours of dialogue before you even get the freedom to move and fight battles is dull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Captain Novolin posted:

There hasn't been too much in the last couple months, but I think it's probably because everyone was working on stuff for the NGP. Patapon 3 and Monster Hunter 3 portable are coming out soon, though.

Yeah, I guess the PSP is on the way out. :patriot:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
We've still got The 3rd Birthday coming in March, might be the last PSP game I buy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh they finally dated that huh.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Tactics Ogre is released in February.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
There is also that new Dissidia game.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Phantom Brave: Heroes of the Hermuda Triangle and Ys I&II Chronicles are also coming soon. Oh and the biggest release of all if you've got a Japanese PSN account/can read Japanese (I don't/can't :sigh:) Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Day one purchase if Atlus USA decides to translate it.

Tarradax
Jan 8, 2008

It will work!
With the next-gen PSP coming out soon, is there any reason to buy the current? Has there been any official statements on how backwards-compatible the new PSP will be in terms of running current games? I'm thinking of buying a PSP just so I can play the PSP-exclusive God of War games but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify it to myself if I end up putting it away never to be used again a few months from now.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

Tarradax posted:

With the next-gen PSP coming out soon, is there any reason to buy the current? Has there been any official statements on how backwards-compatible the new PSP will be in terms of running current games? I'm thinking of buying a PSP just so I can play the PSP-exclusive God of War games but I'm not sure I'll be able to justify it to myself if I end up putting it away never to be used again a few months from now.

There won't be a UMD drive but any PSN games will work.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
A lot of sales this week:

Class of Heroes Legacy – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Crimson Gem Saga – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Hammerin’ Hero – Sale (PSP) (now $9.99, original price $19.99)
Hexyz Force – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Knights in the Nightmare – Sale (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $29.99)
Riviera: The Promised Land – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
R-Type Command – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona – Sale (PSP) (now $19.99, original price $39.99)
Steamboat Chronicles Battle Tournament – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Yggdra Union – Sale (PSP) (now $7.49, original price $14.99)
Half-Minute Hero – Price Change (PSP) (now $14.99, original price $19.99)
Mahjongg Artifacts – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Mahjongg Artifacts: Chapter 2 – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
Stand O’ Food – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.99, original price $4.99)
Supermarket Mania – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
The Mystery Of The Crystal Portal – minis – Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $2.99, original price $4.99)
I Must Run! – minis – Permanent Price Drop (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $3.99)
M.O.Z.O.X. Space Salvager – minis – Price Change (PS3/PSP) (now $1.49, original price $2.99)

Time to get Knights in the Nightmare.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm going to look into Half-Minute Hero, but I don't know anything about the vast majority of those games, except perhaps Persona. Sounds like they may have been more appealing when I had more time to kill on transit.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I never really played a real JRPG before, i've played like 20 hours of FFX and FF13, but nothing serious so I decided to pick up Persona 3 Portable. It's pretty fun I think i'm like 5 hours in and creating persona's is pretty fun but I don't have the manual for the game so I don't really understand how it works. Am I supposed to explore "the tower" and get to where it says I can't go on anymore, then what?

Any help would be appreciated. :3:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Just play, everything will be explained pretty much. If you really want to know:
Storyline bosses happen every full moon, and you have until then to prepare for them. After every storyline boss, new levels of Tartarus open up.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Methodis posted:

Am I supposed to explore "the tower" and get to where it says I can't go on anymore, then what?

You can usually hit the barrier to the next section in one night, then spend the rest of your time focusing on raising social links. The game will let you know when you can proceed further. P3P has it's own thread here and at least the first chunk of pages were pretty spoiler free, the game does a pretty good job of steering you in the right direction though.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Alright I actually had that happen before I turned off the game earlier, but how does the general progression of the game work otherwise, do you literally have like one year and the end of the year the "big bad guy" spawns?

Also not really sure what I should do with my time after school, like is it better to focus on a certain skill and what not?

e: Going to look for that official P3P thread, thanks bros.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

To someone who has never played a Persona game before, should I get 1 or 3?

I kind of swore off jRPGs after FF VI (fricking loved Ultima games), but really enjoyed Suikoden and FF IX eventually. I didn't mind FF XII for a while, but got bogged down in the desert. I'll beat it one day I swear.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

teethgrinder posted:

I'm going to look into Half-Minute Hero, but I don't know anything about the vast majority of those games, except perhaps Persona. Sounds like they may have been more appealing when I had more time to kill on transit.

Half-Minute Hero is awesome, so awesome.

A sequel is coming out as well.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah sold. Now I either need a M2 card, or to somehow choose games to temporarily move off my Go.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Skip Persona 1 and go straight for Persona 3 Portable. I mean, i'm not an expert on the subject but I decided to try out Persona 1 remake on PSP first and thought it was boring and pretty meh while P3 is full of charm and fun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

theblackw0lf posted:

Half-Minute Hero is awesome, so awesome.

A sequel is coming out as well.

Oh please let this get an English localization! :pray: I'll make any sacrifices to any dark gods that will listen to make this get translated. :devil:

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I've been playing Persona 3 Portable and I think it's boring as gently caress. Is this tower place the only place you actually get to run around and explore stuff? The rest of the game is just all menu driven and blocks of text?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

teethgrinder posted:

To someone who has never played a Persona game before, should I get 1 or 3?

Definitely Persona 3. I'm just about to get started on the first game, but I've heard it feels a little dated and can be a bit clunky at times. Persona 3 is an absolute dream to play, in serious contention for the best console game of any type I've ever played. Currently 45ish hours in and absolutely loving it.

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Persona 1 remake or atleast the beggining has this weird rear end first person view of exploring the schools halls. It's like Doom.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I noticed that the download versions of Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 both have install options. What good would they do?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

I noticed that the download versions of Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 both have install options. What good would they do?
I don't know what Valkyria Chronicles 3 is, but the "install" option on PSN-released PSP games is a holdover from when they were originally released on UMD. Idea was that loading from flash was much faster than UMD.

I LOVED Wipeout Pulse, but gently caress was it ever worthless until I learned to rip the UMD to my memorystick.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Installing a PSN game to your memory stick will shorten load times, but it's so little of a difference it's not worth it. All it does is uncompress some data.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What I'm saying is, if the game is ALREADY on the internal memory (I have a Go), does installing it improve load times? I can't imagine that it does.

Also I am so happy to be playing VC3 rather than 2. Maybe I will come back to 2 if I finish 3 and still want more VC action, but having a war story about an actual loving WAR instead of high school is far superior.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I'm saying is, if the game is ALREADY on the internal memory (I have a Go), does installing it improve load times? I can't imagine that it does.

Also I am so happy to be playing VC3 rather than 2. Maybe I will come back to 2 if I finish 3 and still want more VC action, but having a war story about an actual loving WAR instead of high school is far superior.

Nope it doesn't.

Looks like it does depending on the game.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 2, 2011

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It does improve load times in Peace Walker as it decompresses a shitload of the data so it can just stream it live off the stick instead of having to decompress it on the fly. I don't know if any other games follow that rule.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can you speak/read Japanese?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

redreader posted:

Can you speak/read Japanese?
Yes.

edit: why are there 16 year old girls in my convict suicide squad? (note: rhetorical question, I know the answer is Japan. The answer is always Japan.)

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 2, 2011

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: why are there 16 year old girls in my convict suicide squad? (note: rhetorical question, I know the answer is Japan. The answer is always Japan.)

They're some tough bitches over there.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh come on that's totally accurate, what 16 year old girl wouldn't join a suicide squad after getting embarrassed at 4th period chemistry.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It looks like the way the story is flowing, I will slowly and one at a time learn what everyone's crime was that got them stuck in the 422nd. So far I don't know any.

There are definitely fewer characters overall than in 2 or 1, but this time you can change their class at will. I'm not yet sure how useful that would be since a lot of their stats strongly favor one class. Also you don't train to level up classes any more, you level up stats.

Also it's started out a lot more difficult than either 1 or 2, with more and better equipped enemies and bigger maps with more control points, and my side is worse trained with fewer hit points and some people can't hit the broad side of a barn. I don't know if that means it will maintain this difficulty further into the game or if it will continue to get more difficult and end up crazy hard.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 2, 2011

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Is a PSP 3000 worth the plunge? I have a PSP 1000 that runs games find (if a bit slowly due to load times). Is there a massive improvement in speed on higher level PSPs or is it more about your memory stick size? I know very little about the logistics of this handheld so any help would be helpful. Thanks

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home

qxan posted:

Is a PSP 3000 worth the plunge? I have a PSP 1000 that runs games find (if a bit slowly due to load times). Is there a massive improvement in speed on higher level PSPs or is it more about your memory stick size? I know very little about the logistics of this handheld so any help would be helpful. Thanks

I can't speak for a 3000, but the difference between a 1000 and 2000 is almost non-existent beyond weight. I have two 1000s here on my table and a 2000, identical memory sticks for 2 of them, and put the same games/custom firmware on them. Load times are identical for discs, identical for games, the only time I see a difference is some (but not much) homebrew runs better on the 2000 due to the upgraded hardware.

The 1000 feels more "quality" versus the 2000s very light, very plastic feeling housing. I use the IR port on the 1000 to change channels and goof around on the tv, especially if I'm feeling lazy and don't have the remote.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

qxan posted:

The original PSP has half the RAM of the 3000, if that means anything to you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Takoluka posted:

The original PSP has half the RAM of the 3000, if that means anything to you.

Which really only matters for couple homebrew apps since no one wants to alienate early adopters.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

So if I'm not interested in homebrew there's basically no reason at all to take the plunge? Good to know. I just wondered because I was playing the Kingdom Hearts PSP game and the load times were like death. I ordered a larger memory stick online so that I could install it and I'm assuming the load times will go down after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

qxan posted:

One difference is that games played on the 3000 model can be played on a TV through a component connection. The 1000 model cannot do this.

• Locked thread