Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

BeardedFerret posted:

So today we have two floor staff today from a potential group of four thanks to everyone else being clever and quitting. Two managers two, one of whom knows absolutely nothing about we're doing. We're supposed to have eight staff total. We are SO hosed.

I predict at least one writeup and a talking to the other one about keeping pace. I also suspect one manager will do everything away from people, despite multiple requests to do so from everybody.

I wish I could believe they'd have a religious experience and hire more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

miscellaneous14 posted:

Bartenders are dicks sometimes at my job. They fill the goddamn beer glasses to the loving tip, so that I have to be super-careful to not spill them (keep in mind, I have to carry this poo poo around 20 feet, a full tray of it), and then earlier tonight during a rush, everyone at the bar ganged up on me saying how slow I was being.

:(: "Dude, I'm just trying to be careful"
:mad:: "I'd rather have someone who's fast than one who's careful"

Are you kidding me? You actually want me to spill all this stuff so that the people who I run it to get pissed at me for handing them a sticky-rear end expensive drink? It's like if I walked into the kitchen and double-checked the ticket on a food tray, and one of the head chefs started yelling at me "WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU SO SLOW TAKE TWO TRAYS WITH YOU". Up until that point, it'd all been a fairly manageable rush, why the hell do people have to have such a nasty attitude about nothing?

I know this is barely anything compared to what you guys have to go through on a daily basis, but it's like I traded having to deal with dumb customers, for dealing with the most frustrating work-staff I've ever been a part of, and being regarded as a retard because I don't talk about sports 24/7.

Just take a sip each time it's too full. After a while, you'll be too drunk to care otherwise.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

The General posted:

I predict at least one writeup and a talking to the other one about keeping pace. I also suspect one manager will do everything away from people, despite multiple requests to do so from everybody.

I wish I could believe they'd have a religious experience and hire more people.

Haha, not even that. We had a fairly steady stream of customers all day and me and the other rep smashed out around $1,300 worth of sales each, which is a VERY good individual result and pushed me up to 2nd for the month behind the other guy for the month. No writeups (we don't do those anyway, the manager's pretty lazy). A couple of fuckwit customers, one of whom the sales manager wound up telling to leave after he had a very loud flare up at the counter to the general amusement of the rest of the customers.

The other guy on with me today also had enough time to do a phone interview for the call centre I'm going to. He has a physical interview tomorrow and if everything goes well he'll be starting with me on Monday. So they'll be losing their top two performers simultaneously and dropping down to two managers, one guy who knows what he's doing and so gets stuck on tech support for old people instead of making sales, one fuckwit and a newbie. Good loving luck, guys!

Also the managers found out today that payroll hosed up their pay for the past two months so they're having their bonus for this month withheld. So I guess there's some consolation that it's not just the floor staff getting hosed over.

Four days to go! :toot:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
Dreading work today for several reasons. It's a truck day, so tons of work for me. I may or may not learn my fate, because the boss is at a meeting, so I'll have an axe floating over my head all day. If I don't learn my fate today, they're getting an rear end-ton of work out of me before I go, which I hate to do. Wish I was in a position to just walk away.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

Dreading work today for several reasons. It's a truck day, so tons of work for me. I may or may not learn my fate, because the boss is at a meeting, so I'll have an axe floating over my head all day. If I don't learn my fate today, they're getting an rear end-ton of work out of me before I go, which I hate to do. Wish I was in a position to just walk away.

Don't stress over it. If you're going to be let go, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just go to work, do your job, and see what happens.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Don't stress over it. If you're going to be let go, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just go to work, do your job, and see what happens.

The other Supervisor, who is a former manager who can't do the 45-50 a week right now, seems to think I'm fine but the statement was done as a precaution. I haven't seen the head manager since everything went down, though, so I don't know how he feels about everything. The employee might be toast, though- these were really, really bad fakes.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Axeface posted:

"All associates, The Stars Have Come Right Again. Wet clean-up of our benighted existence."

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Ygolonac posted:

"All associates, The Stars Have Come Right Again. Wet clean-up of our benighted existence."
"Cthulhu line 2, Cthulhu call on line 2."

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

"Cthulhu line 2, Cthulhu call on line 2."

Is that a Collect call?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Axeface is back! Now we can share his painful existence in a truly Lovecraftian retail job again. :unsmith:

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
I worked yesterday from 11-7 (I work in cosmetics now) and at 6:55 this couple walks onto the sales floor. They looked kind of lost and everyone else was busy with a customer so I approached them and asked them if they needed any help today. Guy looked at me straight in the eyes and said "I want you to fix her up and make her look good for once; this is MY money and I want MY woman to look presentable."

I starred at him for a second. This guy already gave me a bad vibe but for the sake of retail I sat his girlfriend down in a nearby makeup chair and started applying makeup with making little conversation. The boyfriend asked one of my co-workers for a coke and two waters (Where I work we give free beverages and snacks from our coffee bar to customers who have been sitting in someone's chair for awhile or similar situations) I thought that was kind of weird because he has been on the sales floor for literally 3 minutes and was already demanding that we give him free stuff.

Then the verbal abuse started.

At this time, I was still applying foundation and concealer to the girl's face, her boyfriend standing 6 inches behind me watching me over my shoulder as I did her make up. He started talking, saying "I can't wait for you to look good" and "Can you make her less ugly, please?" I was slowly getting flash backs of Maury episodes of "Help! My Man Locks Me Up In My House!"

I went to go grab some Dior Show mascara and a member of loss prevention approached me and asked me if I was doing ok. I told him yeah just the guy was making me really uncomfortable and LP told me they would kick him out if I told them to. I honestly didn't want him getting upset so I just finished the girl's makeup.

After I was done with her makeup the guy had the nerve to ask me for free samples and that he would come back on Friday and buy all of the stuff from me. I felt a little nauseous as I watched them leave hearing him tell her "Don't you loving take that poo poo off your face" and now my faith in humanity is completely gone :smith:

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

elf pr0n posted:

I worked yesterday from 11-7 (I work in cosmetics now) and at 6:55 this couple walks onto the sales floor. They looked kind of lost and everyone else was busy with a customer so I approached them and asked them if they needed any help today. Guy looked at me straight in the eyes and said "I want you to fix her up and make her look good for once; this is MY money and I want MY woman to look presentable."

I starred at him for a second. This guy already gave me a bad vibe but for the sake of retail I sat his girlfriend down in a nearby makeup chair and started applying makeup with making little conversation. The boyfriend asked one of my co-workers for a coke and two waters (Where I work we give free beverages and snacks from our coffee bar to customers who have been sitting in someone's chair for awhile or similar situations) I thought that was kind of weird because he has been on the sales floor for literally 3 minutes and was already demanding that we give him free stuff.

Then the verbal abuse started.

At this time, I was still applying foundation and concealer to the girl's face, her boyfriend standing 6 inches behind me watching me over my shoulder as I did her make up. He started talking, saying "I can't wait for you to look good" and "Can you make her less ugly, please?" I was slowly getting flash backs of Maury episodes of "Help! My Man Locks Me Up In My House!"

I went to go grab some Dior Show mascara and a member of loss prevention approached me and asked me if I was doing ok. I told him yeah just the guy was making me really uncomfortable and LP told me they would kick him out if I told them to. I honestly didn't want him getting upset so I just finished the girl's makeup.

After I was done with her makeup the guy had the nerve to ask me for free samples and that he would come back on Friday and buy all of the stuff from me. I felt a little nauseous as I watched them leave hearing him tell her "Don't you loving take that poo poo off your face" and now my faith in humanity is completely gone :smith:

Holy poo poo. Now I feel sick as well.

605-475-6968
Apr 10, 2010

Employed at: Publix Supermarkets
Department: Grocery(stock)
Postion: Stock clerk

I really have nothing to complain about corporate or management wise. Both of my managers are actually really cool. The customer service manager that closes the store can usually be a bitch, but anyway

:) and :( - ME
:butt: - Customer
I work in a pretty decent neighborhood usually filled with retired people and tourists

:) - *stocking* eggs (any of you in Grocery/retail you'll know those heavyduty plastic crates and a metal float make a poo poo ton of noise)
:butt: - *old lady* Well sunny you sure are making a lot of noise I might have to tell your manager.
:(

Alright first of all I felt like slapping that lady in the face. I don't care if she was joking or not when someone is working hard you don't say poo poo like that. I would love to see that old bag attempt to do that poo poo without making noise like I did. I mean I wasn't slamming them around, but still it really really pissed me off for some reason since I was having a really good shift.
It is those little things that just completely take a poo poo on your ENTIRE day.

who wants chicken
Mar 2, 2009

Dave, the point of the story is... let's see, hernia, wild animals, Nixon... hell, it's in there somewhere. I'm glad I could help you out.

who wants chicken fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 6, 2011

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation

who wants chicken posted:

and went to each other customer in the store, saying that I didn't know what the gently caress I was talking about and only got hired because I'm a girl and not to listen to what I was saying.

There is a lot of unbelievable poo poo in this thread but this takes the cake. There is no way you aren't exaggerating your rear end off at best.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

SisterFister posted:

There is a lot of unbelievable poo poo in this thread but this takes the cake. There is no way you aren't exaggerating your rear end off at best.

Have you ever set foot in a game store? Or encountered a misogynist? Or, you know, someone who just generally thinks all retail people are stupid and couldn't possibly know anything because only IDIOTS work retail?

Seriously, are you for real? :psyduck:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

The axe didn't fall. The write-up I had to make was "unofficial", but he's worried about my work ethic lately. Guess he noticed. Oh well, hopefully I'll be gone soon.

SisterFister
Oct 31, 2005

I'm sure you and your 37 dollars will prove to be quite the legal sensation

Chicken Doodle posted:

Have you ever set foot in a game store? Or encountered a misogynist? Or, you know, someone who just generally thinks all retail people are stupid and couldn't possibly know anything because only IDIOTS work retail?

Seriously, are you for real? :psyduck:

"See that girl over there? She only got hired because she's a girl. She doesn't know what the gently caress she's talking about. Don't listen to what she's saying." *moves three feet to the left* "See that girl over there? She only got hired because she's a girl. She doesn't know what the gently caress she's talking about. Don't listen to what she's saying." *moves three feet to the left* "See that girl over there? She only got hired because she's a girl. She doesn't know what the gently caress she's talking about. Don't listen to what she's saying."

And dragging his girlfriend around from person to person while doing it. Yeah, that totally sounds like it happened for real.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

SisterFister posted:

And dragging his girlfriend around from person to person while doing it. Yeah, that totally sounds like it happened for real.

I doubt he repeated the exact same thing verbatim every single time, but I've seen that type of poo poo happen before. They'll just go around and start talking to everyone about the great horrible injustice you committed against them. Anyone who will listen, or just not move away fast enough. In a game store, as a female employee, its even less uncommon. Especially if theres a male employee (even if he's new, doesn't know anything, is a manager, stock boy, whatever) in sight.

who wants chicken
Mar 2, 2009

Dave, the point of the story is... let's see, hernia, wild animals, Nixon... hell, it's in there somewhere. I'm glad I could help you out.

who wants chicken fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 6, 2011

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SisterFister posted:

I'm sure you spoke to at least half the customers.

sunpocket
Dec 30, 2003

Babies are not good at holding mommy's Big Gulp. Bitch (mom, not the baby) didn't even apologize or say anything besides "uhhhhhh...." and motioning at the spill. Then she went back to texting.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
When I tell you that the store is closing FOREVER, don't throw a little pouty tantrum and ask "but WHYYYY?". Seriously lady, gently caress you, act like a loving adult. And you, other lady, don't get all indignant at me. It's not my fault you have to drive five extra minutes to get to another store. Getting bitchy at the cashier isn't going to prevent the store from closing.

We're done for good on the 13th. I seriously look forward to moving to the next store, I am loving sick of explaining why we're closing.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Assistant Store Manager: "Did you hear? So-and-so broke his ankle"
Me: "OMG, that's terrible!"
Assistant Store Manager: "Oh! It's OK, he didn't break it here..."

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

SisterFister posted:

Y'know, there's the distinct possibility that the guy intentionally went into the store to harass the sales clerk in some delusional effort to impress his own girlfriend. It's very likely considering both individuals are either incredibly dumb, or ridiculously drunk, or both.

People have done a lot worse than that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

miscellaneous14 posted:

Y'know, there's the distinct possibility that the guy intentionally went into the store to harass the sales clerk in some delusional effort to impress his own girlfriend. It's very likely considering both individuals are either incredibly dumb, or ridiculously drunk, or both.

Hell they could *both* be getting off on it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Accidentally called a middle-aged guy 'dude' today after he fired up at me over some minor thing. He had a go at me for doing it so I said 'sorry bro' and walked off. He left.

Treat em mean to keep em keen. :c00l:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I work at an office store with an attached print shop. Since the print shop and main registers are all near each other, the print shop people are expected to help me ring people up when a line forms.

There's nobody in line for my register and someone brings up a printer and a bunch of ink. Naturally this triggers 5 more people to get in line behind him while I fiddle with security boxes. I noticed that the line was really long so I asked one of the print shop ladies to hop on a register. She finished whatever she was doing and checked out the next guy, a businessman type who's in the store all the time.

Well, he wasn't too thrilled about waiting in line. He had a cart of random junk, and a pencil sharpener had fallen down off the seat part. The print shop girl noticed and told him after she'd told him the total. He grunted and threw it at her. She finished ringing him up and said something like "Sir, I know you waited in line but there's no reason to throw things at me..."

He started screaming about how she needed to learn to do her job and run the register and how dare you talk to me like that why can't you just do your goddamn job he had to beg you to check me out!!!

The manager ran out of the office to defuse the situation while everyone else in the store just dropped their items and left, trying to calm him down while he screamed about how none of us want to do our jobs and she's so lazy and how dare we and all that. Me and her were trying not to laugh our asses off the whole time. Eventually he just said "I'll be back" and left.

Me and the print shop person got a talking-to about how we need to make sure we need to look busy even when we aren't because of people like him. :shobon:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
So I slept at work last night because... well, have you seen the roads? Goddamn.

Not really retail, exactly, but I work in a hotel, so sleeping at work means a free room with a comfortable bed and a bitchin TV. Of course, since everyone else called off, I got to open up the coffee shop today at 5:00 AM, and since nobody's gonna show up this afternoon, I get to work in room service until midnight.

If I weren't pretty good at this job, I'd loving HATE it.

Do we have a "bitch about hospitality" megathread?

deviating septum
Apr 7, 2009
I know this probably sounds perverse as gently caress but.. this thread is making me nostalgic for my retail days.

Don't get me wrong, it was super lovely, but the bulk of it happened 10 years ago before I had any self-confidence or ability to stand up for myself. I guess I just have this morbid curiosity as to what it would be like with the new and improved me. Also, I was laid off from my last job so I am sitting at home reading SA while student loans pulls payments from my very meager checking account. It turns out the only thing a sociology degree is good for is becoming a sociologist.

So how about it - should I go back?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

deviating septum posted:

I know this probably sounds perverse as gently caress but.. this thread is making me nostalgic for my retail days.

Don't get me wrong, it was super lovely, but the bulk of it happened 10 years ago before I had any self-confidence or ability to stand up for myself. I guess I just have this morbid curiosity as to what it would be like with the new and improved me. Also, I was laid off from my last job so I am sitting at home reading SA while student loans pulls payments from my very meager checking account. It turns out the only thing a sociology degree is good for is becoming a sociologist.

So how about it - should I go back?

If you know how to stand up for yourself you probably should NOT work retail. Not saying retail workers are spineless, just that pride has a good shot of getting you fired for mouthing off.

What I thought was a quiet, under my breath comment, my boss heard. She was never nice to me for the remainder of my time there. If I didn't absolutely need the money from working (and if I didn't like the assistant manager, cool guy, but her friend), I would exploded on her. I had a lot of material to work with, too.

deviating septum
Apr 7, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

If you know how to stand up for yourself you probably should NOT work retail. Not saying retail workers are spineless, just that pride has a good shot of getting you fired for mouthing off.

What I thought was a quiet, under my breath comment, my boss heard. She was never nice to me for the remainder of my time there. If I didn't absolutely need the money from working (and if I didn't like the assistant manager, cool guy, but her friend), I would exploded on her. I had a lot of material to work with, too.

The closest I get to my retail fix now is when I get checked out right after someone who was on their cell, and I get to say "wow that was really rude of them". I just want to be that guy who has to serve someone on their phone and saying "It's ok, I can wait."

Some content I guess: my wife and I and some friends went to a coffee shop last night and my wife asked the girl behind the counter how she was doing. The girl kind of froze and said "sorry? I'm not used to being asked that". We definitely made sure to say thank you when we got our drinks and thank her again when we left. Oh and tip well.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
Occasionally I think about going back into retail part-time, strictly because I don't need the money. It's a very pleasing image to think of being able to stand up to lovely management and customers without worrying about being fired.

Then I realise that it's a stupid idea, I'd probably be taking hours away from someone who really needs them, and that I can actively call arsehole customers out without fear of repercussion anyway.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

modeski posted:

Occasionally I think about going back into retail part-time, strictly because I don't need the money. It's a very pleasing image to think of being able to stand up to lovely management and customers without worrying about being fired.

Then I realise that it's a stupid idea, I'd probably be taking hours away from someone who really needs them, and that I can actively call arsehole customers out without fear of repercussion anyway.

I'm kind of in that position myself. I'm going to be moving to another state in a month or two, and put in for a transfer about eight months or so ago (I thought I was going to be moving a lot earlier, but plans changed).

Then late last November, my manager wrote me up for calling in (not just not showing up) and taking too many days off. The only problem was, the days she was accusing me of taking were days I wasn't scheduled to work to begin with. So she said that if I could prove I was there those days, she's take them off. I can't because I wasn't, so she didn't. So then I find out that when you've been written up, you can't transfer until it expires in a year.

So since I have to quit anyway, I'm just not putting up with their bullshit anymore. I'm still nice to my coworkers, and the middling to good customers, and I don't cause trouble. But gently caress you if you're an rear end to me. I tell you what though, it's liberating as hell to be in this position.

Bike29
Feb 12, 2009
I had to be the dick head assistant manager today. None of my guys wanted to work on anything for more than 4 minutes without stopping to talk about the Zombie Apocolpyse for 20 minutes. So about 90 minutes to close I reminded them about our Wednesday list and told them we should at least attempt to get it done. They worked hard for a good 14 minutes and then they decided it was time to go back to sitting at the computers and surfing the web.

I noted the list had all the items checked off but the work that was done, was crap. I figured if they wanted to be lazy for the last 45 minutes that was fine. When closing time came around, I told the mechanics they could go home since they stayed busy all day. One of my sales guys told he would get the lights and I told him not to bother since we would be sticking around. to actually do the list.

Of the 5 people that stuck around, 4 of them worked and put in an effort to get things done. One of them first tried to convince the work was done. I told him 5 things I could see from where I standing that were not correct. He then walked around for the next 20 minutes, then we argued again. Three of the guys came up to me and asked what else they could do and I told them to take off. I explained my position and they understood. The other guy who was working asked if he could leave and I told him to stick around and help with lights. The 3 of us walked out together.

I don't like having to do stuff like that but they had all day to attempt to do their jobs, but made no real effort. When it comes to the LIST, I don;t care that it's done, but when they don't even try, they dont give me much choice.

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!
While I work on finding a real job, I'm applying to a department supervisor position that is opening up in my store. We'll probably be interviewing for the job this weekend. There are a few people I know of that are applying but only a couple seem genuinely interested and qualified for the job.

The one thing that sets me apart besides being basically the best salesman in our department is that I actually have a college degree whereas most of my coworkers are dropouts, but they've worked there a good bit longer.

How can I best suck up to get this? It's a pretty major pay increase (almost twice what I currently make) and since it's for the department I currently work in, I actually know and like the stuff we're selling. Is sounding ambitious a detriment in this environment since they want their staff to be loyal and stay in the store?

Apocalypse Please
May 7, 2007

Is you takin' notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy?!

manguero posted:

Internal loss maybe?

The training video we had to watch said that half of loss was internal. I believe it. But being under such suspicion really wore on me and made me resentful, in addition to all the other crap that goes on in that kind of job.

Oh most of it is almost certainly internal, but I mean they are incompetent at finding the culprits. They only last week pointed a camera at the Macbook cage, and they are still losing things even though the seasonal force is gone.

oldyogurt
Aug 14, 2004

Son of a--
Muldoon
e: Well I'm pretty much down to the wire on my job. Might stay, might not. Conditions are pretty bad right now.

oldyogurt fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 3, 2011

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dodgeball posted:

Anyone who has a professional job would either get fired or swallow their pride on day one.

edit:

quote:

How can I best suck up to get this? It's a pretty major pay increase (almost twice what I currently make) and since it's for the department I currently work in, I actually know and like the stuff we're selling. Is sounding ambitious a detriment in this environment since they want their staff to be loyal and stay in the store?

Generally, at the department/single POS store manager level the turnover rate is going to drop substantially. A grunt can be trained in a week, two weeks if they're slow and after six months they're pretty much as good as they're going to get. Managing skills and political maneuvering ability will only tend to improve.

Your best bet I think is to tell them you're very exited about your chain and in 10 years you want to be at the regional manager level. You're glad to have the opportunity to talk with them because of ideas 1, 2, and 3 about improving items x, y and z in the store.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

SisterFister posted:

I posted a few pages back about how I would on a semi-regular basis be completely ignored by men in the store, or they would refuse to be served by me and ask to speak to one of the men on the floor.

It happens a LOT, especially in electronics.