Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Sponge! posted:

Direct connection to the cable line or you using a box?

I was using a broadcast tv box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Kylie Sven Opossum posted:

I was using a broadcast tv box.

Coax or composite?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Skyssx posted:

loving balls! At least in IT you never have to deal with biological material.

Some of us have to, or had to. When I worked in field support at a hospital you have no idea how many monitors, keyboards, mice and thin clients I replaced due to blood, puke, poop, pee or any of a number of other lovely fluids (or solids).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For those interested here is a quick ask/tell thread about Cray and the supercomputers I keep running.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386166

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Audio-visual Insanity ITT

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good guess. This is on a the Cray XT5 supercomputer JaguarPF (PetaFlop). The cabinets idle at 8-10kW and run between 22-30kW most of the time. Now take into consideration JaguarPF has 200 of these cabinets, Kraken in front had 88 cabinets and is currently being upgraded to 100 cabinets.

So with both systems at idle we are pulling 3000kW, at an average running load of 25kW we are pulling 7500kW...and that is just for the cabinets. That doesn't include the chillers in the room circulating air or the 72 heat exchangers keeping the cabinets from overheating. drat just realized we have around 18000 pounds of r134a in that room.

That seems like absolute overkill for 30Kw a rack. I've got clients running 30 Kw on air cooled racks (Thanks P-Class blades!). I can understand the need for water cooled heat exchange doors, but refrigerated? Seems like a waste of money.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I saw that my favorite thread about things that go/went BANG had 20 new posts, only to find a discussion about televisions and computers. Let's get this back on track, shall we?

Apologies for reposts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfttA0mds-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgkmdLN8mD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyB6U2JhX_E

While not particularly a mechanical failure, it's in the right spirit.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

I love that guy and his engine failure videos

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Runaway diesels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw2r_lIRgpY

That's a lot of smoke.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Horse Divorce posted:

Was it exposed to any source of vaccuum?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nomex posted:

That seems like absolute overkill for 30Kw a rack. I've got clients running 30 Kw on air cooled racks (Thanks P-Class blades!). I can understand the need for water cooled heat exchange doors, but refrigerated? Seems like a waste of money.

I think one of the main reasons for the cooling systems we have in place is to take a lot of load off the chillers located throughout the room. The cabinets peak at 42.7 kW so if all 300 were running at that it may be too much for the air handlers to overcome. The way it is setup the air coming in at the bottom is supposedly the same temperature being expelled at the top of the cabinets.

But yes we have several air cooled systems that run just fine.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Horse Divorce posted:

I don't think I've ever seen train cars like that. Are those just semi-trailers with train wheel sets joining them together? If so, no wonder it crumpled up like that.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Didn't know where to paste it so I thought I'd put it here, because even though it is just an "easy" way to access the entire engine, most of you probably class the Disco 3/4 as a horrible mechanical failure.

I am in Sales so I can't comment on what a pain in the arse it is to work on these things, except to say I see this a few times per week, and it takes 4 or so hours to do.

The techs complain far more about the cars then the customers do, obviously. In case you didn't know, the LR3/4 has both a monocoque and a frame chassis.

All I see is a potential 440Nm full time 4wd go cart.

Edit: it is actually a good car, so long as you only own it under factory warranty, just like any European car :argh:

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 2, 2011

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh I wish I could do that in 4 hours. It's gonna take me a couple of weeks to replace some 44+ year old body mounts. :(

z3bracak3
Apr 22, 2010

Click here for the full 1023x764 image.

I snapped two of the bolts that hold my exhaust manifold off. It's not that horrible but they will have to be drilled out and that's no fun. the thing in the middle isn't the same but it shows whats stuck in there.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Someone needs to work on their parallel parking skills. "Parallel to the road, ma'am. Not perpendicular."

If you don't believe it there's a video of the aftermath here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEIuwLCCiQ

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Lilbeefer posted:

Didn't know where to paste it so I thought I'd put it here, because even though it is just an "easy" way to access the entire engine, most of you probably class the Disco 3/4 as a horrible mechanical failure.

I am in Sales so I can't comment on what a pain in the arse it is to work on these things, except to say I see this a few times per week, and it takes 4 or so hours to do.

The techs complain far more about the cars then the customers do, obviously. In case you didn't know, the LR3/4 has both a monocoque and a frame chassis.

All I see is a potential 440Nm full time 4wd go cart.

Edit: it is actually a good car, so long as you only own it under factory warranty, just like any European car :argh:

If I could have completely free and unobstructed access to the engine in four hours work I would be the happiest man. How's access to regular maintenance items without removing the body?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Kill-9 posted:

Someone needs to work on their parallel parking skills. "Parallel to the road, ma'am. Not perpendicular."

If you don't believe it there's a video of the aftermath here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niEIuwLCCiQ

Not a mechanical failure and also not what happened.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

renraku posted:

Not a mechanical failure and also not what happened.

Really? Wow, I really thought that's what happened. :rolleyes:

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fFh31Ejmk&NR=1&feature=fvwp

I thought this was a pretty cool video, but I could go without the music.

Edited for stupid spelling.

scapulataf fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 2, 2011

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

scapulataf posted:

I thought this was a prett cool video, bt I could go without the music.

If you posted this comment on all youtube videos, you would be adopting the time keeping tactic of the stopped watch but with much higher accuracy.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Was it exposed to any source of vaccuum?

No, it must have been full of potato chip bags and took I-70.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Kill-9 posted:

Really? Wow, I really thought that's what happened. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: then thank you for posting it in the wrong thread after it was posted by someone else in the right thread.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
That's on I-93 in Massachusetts, near the NH border. The roads here were really bad yesterday. I saw a truck and a Mercedes sedan spin out on Rt. 2; the truck didn't hit anything but the Mercedes lodged itself in a snow bank pretty badly. Later, I was coming home on 495 and I had to get off an exit early (as did everyone else) because all of 495 South was blocked by an overturned sedan and a jackknifed 18 wheeler.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Lilbeefer posted:

Reminds me of this fairly cool time lapse video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWsGsunQwM8

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

renraku posted:

:rolleyes: then thank you for posting it in the wrong thread after it was posted by someone else in the right thread.

Look at the post times. The are within a few minutes. I didn't see that post until I'd already posted here. You realize people do take time to read through threads and once they've read one that day/morning/hour they don't go rushing back through them all just before posting just in case it was posted elsewhere? Dupes happen. I'm sorry it offended you so.

As for the thread, I didn't think it was awesome as much as a failure so I put it here. There's no "Post pictures of horrible human failures" thread that I see. Though maybe there should be.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lilbeefer posted:

I showed this to a guy at work (who used to run some of the body-in-white for the Disco 3), and his reaction was one of general :psyduck:. Apparently he never really thought about the idea of someone taking the body/chassis unit apart after it was assembled.

I should probably ask him for a specific name to which your techs can address their "You, sir, are a right bleeding bastard" letters. Though 4 hours for a body/chassis split really doesn't sound bad to me, quite quick, in fact, given that it's a "carefully separate to do work" job rather than a "rip it off and throw it away" one.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

XK posted:

I don't think I've ever seen train cars like that. Are those just semi-trailers with train wheel sets joining them together? If so, no wonder it crumpled up like that.

Triple Crown is the only one to run units like that, using Norfolk Southern locomotives to run 'em around. They have specially designed things called "bogies" that link each trailer together and lift it off the track. Usually trailers are lifted unto flatcars, but running them with just bogies is far lighter/more fuel efficient.

The downside, of course, is that picture.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Horse Divorce posted:

That has to be the dumbest thing I have ever seen. The best part is the load completely poo poo out on the other side.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
What I don't understand is that I've seen gobs and gobs of Triple Crown trailers set up on a train like that, but I've never seen one actually being hauled by a tractor. Why don't they just invest in proper train cars?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm surprised you don't see the opposite of that happening - a trailer finally giving up after having however many other trailers (not to mention traditional rolling stock) pulled behind it. There has to be a limit to how much weight you can tack on behind a semi trailer and not have it split in half - right?

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
Those aren't regular semi trailers.

Drheat
Feb 20, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Heh, in a fire scenario that *is* a lot of phosgene now that I think of it...

The formation of phosgene requires the presence of chlorine, which is absent from the 134a molecule :science:

Still, that much refrigerant in one spot is dangerous due to the risk of suffocation if there were a massive leak. A facility like that should have a refrigerant detector to alert occupants in the event of a leak. The detectors are often wired to exhaust fans, which are activated when the alarm goes off.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Leaf spring bracket failure on my uncles truck, not too horrible but its going to suck to fix.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Leaf spring bracket failure on my uncles truck, not too horrible but its going to suck to fix.

Oh god that's gonna be a few hours with some plate and a stick welder... Best of luck with that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Oh god that's gonna be a few hours with some plate and a stick welder... Best of luck with that.

I don't think welding it would be strong enough, hes looking for a replacement right now.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

I don't think welding it would be strong enough, hes looking for a replacement right now.

Come now we both know a good weld can/should be stronger than the joined metals.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Come now we both know a good weld can/should be stronger than the joined metals.

Yea but the bracket is only slightly thicker than aluminum foil at this point and it would probably fail right the edge of the weld.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Sponge! posted:

I never quite understood why this is conventional wisdom; even a perfect weld can never match the optimum alloy, processing and annealing that gives a solid piece of metal its particular combination of strength and flexibility. Plus, the process of welding weakens the surrounding metal. A good weld will be strong, yes, but not necessarily stronger than an uncut piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Yea but the bracket is only slightly thicker than aluminum foil at this point and it would probably fail right the edge of the weld.

He's saying to simply remake the piece out of plate steel and weld that to the chassis rail (probably after welding a patch section there too).

It's a bit of work, but by no means un-reasonable for a week's work.