Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Japanese people are also pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

While on the subject of judges, which officals are the ones that MMA fans groan the world over when they hear they are scoring the fight? I know the name Cecil Peoples only through his bad reputation, are there any others and do MMA judges deserve their terrible reputation?

Adelaide Byrd is the worst judge in boxing and mma, bar none.

Cecil Peoples actually judges fights pretty well when they stay standing the whole time; as soon as a fight hits the ground though he starts to flip a coin or judge on who has the nicest hair or something.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

niethan posted:

How are such details known? Are they from background sources or speculation or what? Was Tank at least fired directly after the incident?

Meltzer is the only wrestling journalist who people respect. His word isn't what it used to be but back in the 90s-early 2000s, people would go out of their way to keep Meltzer informed. Most of WCW's horrendous mishaps can be found in This thread on DVDR:

http://board.deathvalleydriver.com/index.php?showtopic=294

Including such gems as:

quote:

"Dustin Runnels was at Starrcade, being called by management to return. Runnels is reportedly being paid $750,000 per year but the company isn't using him. When he got there, the company told him they had no plans for him, and he went back home." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: December 25, 2000.

And no, Tank wasn't fired.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Slaapaav posted:

Japanese people are also pretty bad.

The rule of thumb is if a foreigner and a Japanese fighter are fighting in Japan and it goes to a decision it will more than likely go to the Japanese fighter. If it's a Korean vs a Japanese well, good luck to you sir.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

niethan posted:

How are such details known? Are they from background sources or speculation or what? Was Tank at least fired directly after the incident?

I poo poo you not, he later went on to feud with a boy band until they finally fired him.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

niethan posted:

WCW at the time was full of politicians who ran to Meltzer to tell any horror story they experienced backstage in order to try and get other people fired so they could improve their spot. Since the WWE became the only game in town, a lot of unemployed wrestlers have done shoot videos where they tell all in exchange for enough money to pay the rent or buy crack for the next month. Tank's told the story himself in his shoot video.

As far as I recall he was unpunished for that, and actually got his biggest push in the company soon after when he was the male groupie for a wrestling boy band.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

While on the subject of judges, which officals are the ones that MMA fans groan the world over when they hear they are scoring the fight?

Since you said officials this guy came immediately to mind.

Nobuaki Kakuda, affectionately known as Kakuda-san is an insufferable cheating oval office. In a sea of insufferable cheats.

He is the most "experienced" and veteran of the K1 Referee's and is constantly the main ref in big title fights. He is infamous for his horribly inconsistent application of the rules. He changes expectations about what is acceptable in the clinch, he arbitrarily waves off legitimate knockdowns, or awards them. He's been known to brag about the impact he's had on fights he has been officiating.

Apparently this doesn't count as a knockdown because... well because gently caress it.

He was such a gigantic cheating oval office that K1 themselves we're forced to ban him briefly as punishment. When the fighting organization that is infamous for cheating whenever its convenient thinks you've crossed the line. You've got a real loving problem.

I pretty much cringe whenever he is in the ring. I've lost count of how many times he has dramatically decreased the quality of fights, or flat our ruined them. gently caress Kakuda right to death.

Skinty McEdger posted:

While on the subject of judges, which officals are the ones that MMA fans groan the world over when they hear they are scoring the fight?

The problem is two fold really. Firstly yes, there are a great deal of officials who are not as familiar with the sport as they should be particularly when it comes to fighting on the ground. This causes some poor decisions on occasions where a fighter has been dominant, or the far better performer, in what is typically not the most dominant of positions. For example a grappler who wants to go to the ground and pulls guard, and spends a whole round threatening a submission, might lose to the guy on top throwing a few punches from the dominant position.

The biggest problem though lies with the 10 point must system borrowed from boxing. Judges are incredibly hesitant to give rounds other than 10-9's and without clear "knockdowns" for them to score, there is no way to reward extremely dominant rounds for the clearly superior fighter. Combined with the fact that, there are only 3, and at most 5 rounds and you've got a big problem. Its a terrible system and has far more to do with the slew of terrible decisions than judges themselves do.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 2, 2011

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Skinty McEdger posted:

While on the subject of judges, which officals are the ones that MMA fans groan the world over when they hear they are scoring the fight? I know the name Cecil Peoples only through his bad reputation, are there any others and do MMA judges deserve their terrible reputation?

They're all pretty bad. The state athletic commissions tend to appoint boxing judges for MMA events and from what anyone can tell, they get little or no training on what is actually happening in these fights. Someone like Cecil Peoples is not that bad at scoring fights on the feet, when there aren't that many leg kicks but are lost when it goes to the ground. Adalaide Byrd is just lost in general. Some of them decide to publicly change their mind on a fight after it happens, which just makes them look even more inept. There's also pressure from a certain athletic commission to not score draw rounds, which screws things up even more.

MysteryNad fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 2, 2011

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

Nobuaki Kakuda, affectionately known as Kakuda-san is an insufferable cheating oval office. In a sea of insufferable cheats.

He is the most "experienced" and veteran of the K1 Referee's and is constantly the main ref in big title fights. He is infamous for his horribly inconsistent application of the rules. He changes expectations about what is acceptable in the clinch, he arbitrarily waves off legitimate knockdowns, or awards them. He's been known to brag about the impact he's had on fights he has been officiating.

Apparently this doesn't count as a knockdown because... well because gently caress it.

He was such a gigantic cheating oval office that K1 themselves we're forced to ban him briefly as punishment. When the fighting organization that is infamous for cheating whenever its convenient thinks you've crossed the line. You've got a real loving problem.

I pretty much cringe whenever he is in the ring. I've lost count of how many times he has dramatically decreased the quality of fights, or flat our ruined them. gently caress Kakuda right to death.

Fun Fact: Nobuaki is actually Japanese for "Hebner"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

fatherdog posted:

Fun Fact: Nobuaki is actually Japanese for "Hebner"

Nobuaki screwed Alistair?

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Kakuda was an integral part of the Bob Sapp farce.

The best Kakuda protectee was Hiroya, because his intense corruption was giving a child brain damage.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Nobuaki screwed Alistair?

It should have been
10-9 Alistair,
10-8 Alistair,
10-8 Remy.

It was
10 all
10 all
10-8 Remy

If Kakuda had scored the knockdown it would have been

10-10
10-8
10-8

(extension round)

So both he and the judges. The judges first robbed Alistair, giving "draw" rounds to rounds he clearly won. When Alistair scored a knockdown, which would have forced the judges to give an extension round, Kakuda waved it away. It was basically a team effort.

Its important to remember that at the time, Alistair had knocked our Badr Hari and K1 and FEG where still promoting the idea that Alistair was the big evil, MMA outsider coming in to sully the pride and honor of K1 and that Remy alone could defend it.

Now they love him. Pretty wild.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 2, 2011

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Oh Em Gee posted:

in UFC 1 it was literally no rules, no time limit and it made for very...very boring fighting.
The early UFC tournaments were just trainwrecks, I remember seeing a Sumo wrestler getting his head punched in, people on the ground getting murdered with elbows, and another fight where some guy wore boxing gloves and was just useless. The first couple of tournaments were fun to watch back then.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

MysteryNad posted:

Some of them decide to publicly change their mind on a fight after it happens, which just makes them look even more inept
the only time i remember this happening recently is with Nelson Hamilton rescoring the Shogun-Machida fight, and his argument - that having no TV feed caused him to miss some of the action - is a legit one

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

the only time i remember this happening recently is with Nelson Hamilton rescoring the Shogun-Machida fight, and his argument - that having no TV feed caused him to miss some of the action - is a legit one

Even so, this decision gets a lot of flac because of Peoples, and also because Hamilton later went on to say that upon viewing the fight again he thought Shogun won, but at the end of the night the decision wasn't split, all three scored it 48-47 in favor of Machida, this is one of the few where a judge gets blamed for being lovely when all three had the same margin of victory, I've never understood this great coniption over this fight.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Because Shogun looked the more impressive and dominant fighter. Its an example of the kind of aberrations the 10 point must system produces. Machida won three incredibly close rounds, and individually you can't complain about that, but Shogun was the more impressive fighter in the rounds that he won and emotionally people want him to win, so they concoct justifications for it and get butt-hurt. Machida won, I even thought so, but people don't think he deserved it as much.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The bigger problem is that as soon as you get out of Vegas, Jersey, or California, the number of TERRIBLE judges and referees increases exponentially. Bad standups when a fighter is in dominant position, stopping fights way too late, and bad decisions are the standard once you get into places like Texas.

And this is to say nothing of events that go on outside the United States - the most visible example being that one card Hermes Franca fought in Costa Rica where the judges scored the fight for him, the ref was about to raise his hand, but then the promoter decided to give the win to Ferrid Kheder instead because they paid for his sponsorship and training.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
us Texans dont want any of that human being Hugging poo poo so standups are pretty frequent

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Big Bob Pataki posted:

us Texans dont want any of that human being Hugging poo poo so standups are pretty frequent

Texas judges and refs are lovely in boxing too, though

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
whatever it takes to get the white man's hand raised

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Lets just agree, the only thing Texans are good at is pretending they know "authentic" Mexican food because they live kind of close and once had a Chimichanga.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

fatherdog posted:

Texas judges and refs are lovely in boxing too, though

Do... do they make them lay down?

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Anyone have a .gif of (Nate?) Diaz landing a gogoplata?

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

Giovanni Qobras posted:

no, that's the video of thonglor and the possum

:thurman:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nick Diaz, vs. Takanori Gomi. I can't find a gif but here's Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR9gpJJ2qTQ

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

It should have been
10-9 Alistair,
10-8 Alistair,
10-8 Remy.

Wrestlehut, don't trust a man with Overeem avatar.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Paul Pot posted:

Wrestlehut, don't trust a man with Overeem avatar.

If K-1 is gonna decide that knockdown vs Remy didn't count because he was kicking at the time, then Buakaw should have another win vs Masato and another win vs Kraus.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

fatherdog posted:

If K-1 is gonna decide that knockdown vs Remy didn't count because he was kicking at the time, then Buakaw should have another win vs Masato and another win vs Kraus.

Word, you might not think its a knockdown, and thats fine. The issue there is that Kakuda, and the rest of the K1 Refs regularly reward knockdowns for exactly the same kind of blows on a regular basis.

Even if the knockdown didn't count. It should have been 10-9 the first two rounds for Alistair, taking the fight to extended rounds.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Reminder that Texas has no athletic commission, just a "Department of Licensing and Regulation" that also does things like inspect elevators, license tow-trucks and determine who can drill wells. Not oil wells, though, for that you have to go to the Railroad Commission :psyduck:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Thermos H Christ posted:

Reminder that Texas has no athletic commission, just a "Department of Licensing and Regulation" that also does things ranging from inspecting elevators and approving well-drilling. Not oil wells, though, for that you have to go to the Railroad Commission :psyduck:

Reminder that Texas flies in referee Jon Schorle, a referee so bad that he let Victor Burgos get beaten so horribly that he had to be put into a medically induced coma, tried to strangle a fan who was heckling him for being a bad referee, and was the intrepid mouthpiece loving referee for Olaf/Razor Rob. Also he scored Melendez/Guida, a fight Guida lost 50-45, for Guida.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Since you said officials this guy came immediately to mind.

Video example :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooLJsqkWI9k

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Who is Joe Silva and what does he do?

What do most of you guys think of the articles/list about MMA matches and fighters from Seanbaby on Cracked?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Who is Joe Silva and what does he do?

He's the matchmaker. He chooses who fights who.

quote:

What do most of you guys think of the articles/list about MMA matches and fighters from Seanbaby on Cracked?

Much like Mayhem Miller occasionally there will be a thing that will get a chuckle, but most of the time you just shake your head.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

henkman posted:

He's the matchmaker. He chooses who fights who.

To add: Sean Shelby will continue to be matchmaker for the 135 and 145 divisions, as the addition of the WEC fighters increased the number of fighters on the UFC roster.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Kakuda trivia:

He used to hold the world record for breaking baseball bats with kicks, this is a record that is actually in the Guinness book of records. His record was broken by Mark Coleman victim Moti Horenstein.

He nearly lost a fight to josondo pioneer, convicted rapist and movie star Joe Son. He is the only person in history to make Joe Son look like a fighter.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Does Peter Welch still work in UFC, and if so, does he have a prominent position?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

savinhill posted:

Does Peter Welch still work in UFC, and if so, does he have a prominent position?

Unless we're talking about a different dude, Peter Welch's only current association with the UFC is that he's Kenny Florian's (and now also Brock Lesnar's) boxing coach.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on
Reminder: Kakuda also beat Joe Son. :cmon:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Trash. There is a great deal to make fun of int he world of MMA, and we do it frequently but Seanbaby especially chooses the most idiotic hyperbolic, 8 year old ways of making fun of the sport. Its not very funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm probably in the minority in that I actually quite like Seanbaby, although I can only take him in extremely small doses anymore