Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Kindle, after growing increasingly irritated with being unable to find ebooks of obscure titles (an unfortunate side-effect of liking both good prose and sci-fi; you have to look hard to find the right stuff).

I found it frustrating and somewhat surprising none of these devices are sold in stores (I live in Australia). Indeed, while I actually liked the Nook Colour (I prefer LCDs and having a better web browser was attractive), I would've had to resort to address forwarding services. They are not doing themselves any favours by making these things more difficult to acquire, though I understand, as a law student, it's probably due to the rather complex and varying Intellectual Property regimes between different jurisdictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

omnibobb posted:

I just downloaded calibre and transferred in all of the books I had bought on the Sony store and am trying to convert them to go on my Kindle, but I'm getting DRM issues. I saw a post earlier about some guy saying he could use calibre to strip out the DRM and manage his books like that.

Can anyone familiar with the program help me out? Thanks.

Calibre can't remove the DRM.

You need to use other, fairly easy, methods to remove the DRM. I'm not sure how much is kosher to post here, but it really is very easy to do. I'd PM you but you don't appear to have Plat or messages on. :(

FoXyJess posted:

I'm not sure if Amazon sanctions this, but I've done the following dozens of times with no problems:
  1. Go to https://www.amazon.com --> Your Account.
  2. In the Settings section, choose Add New Address.
  3. Make up a fake address in the UK. I used this Wikipedia article to come up with a random London postal code.
  4. Go back to Your Account and choose Manage Your Kindle.
  5. In the "Your Country" section, hit Edit, and then choose the address you created above.
  6. You've now "moved" to the UK and can buy stuff from their store, using your existing credit card.
Once you're done buying your stuff, you can "move" back to the US using the "Your Country" section again. Amazon doesn't seem to care that your intercontinental move only lasted a few minutes.

Wait...this works? Like, if I punch in a fake US address and change my region to US, I can buy US Kindle books? They're not removed from my "library" when I switch my region back?

If I do this, my credit card isn't going to get flagged or anything, is it?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 24, 2011

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Snuffman posted:

You need to use other, fairly easy, methods to remove the DRM. I'm not sure how much is kosher to post here, but it really is very easy to do. I'd PM you but you don't appear to have Plat or messages on. :(

Wait...this works? Like, if I punch in a fake US address and change my region to US, I can buy US Kindle books? They're not removed from my "library" when I switch my region back?

If I do this, my credit card isn't going to get flagged or anything, is it?

If this is indeed safe, then it's loving awesome. Thank you.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Someone test this with buying free books in the US that are not available for free in other countries, stat!

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I've been wanting to buy Feersum Endjinn by Iain M. Banks and it's only in the UK store, so i'll try this out in a bit and see how it works.

edit: it works!

Popular Human fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 25, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Snuffman posted:

Calibre supports plugins.

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I the only one who has a kobo and really likes it? It was cheap, it was Canadian, :canuck: so I could get my stupid patriotic boner, it has wifi, it came with 100 books, I have half my textbooks on it, I was able to download all my notes onto it, it's light, it's easy enough to carry. I bought it two weeks ago, and haven't had to charge it since the initial charge yet.

Me! I have a kobo and I like it. And I'm not even Canadian.

It was on sale for $99, I had a $25 gift card on top of that, so the price point was right for me. It does the stuff I want it to do. Maybe I'm like one of those old people who want a phone that only does phone stuff, but hey, I'm happy with my simple e-reader.

Muddy Terrain
Dec 23, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My mom just bought me a kindle as a birthday present, because I travel and move around a lot. So far it's great and stuff, but there's one little issue.
Whenever I take it off the charger, this warning/alert box pops up saying that my battery life is low and that I should hook it up to the charger, etc.
This seems pretty strange considering I just got it and left it on the charger for like 24 hours, etc. and now apparently the thing says it's about to die any moment.
But the battery life seems to be totally fine and no problems at all.

Is this some sort of bug or is it indicative of some larger problem I don't know about?

Overall, though, the thing is pretty sweet. I can upload all my .pdf files on it and is basically a portable pdf reader. It's pretty much the poo poo.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

OneArmedScissor posted:

My mom just bought me a kindle as a birthday present, because I travel and move around a lot. So far it's great and stuff, but there's one little issue.
Whenever I take it off the charger, this warning/alert box pops up saying that my battery life is low and that I should hook it up to the charger, etc.
This seems pretty strange considering I just got it and left it on the charger for like 24 hours, etc. and now apparently the thing says it's about to die any moment.
But the battery life seems to be totally fine and no problems at all.

Is this some sort of bug or is it indicative of some larger problem I don't know about?

Overall, though, the thing is pretty sweet. I can upload all my .pdf files on it and is basically a portable pdf reader. It's pretty much the poo poo.
Bug, I've never had that happen on mine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OneArmedScissor posted:

RMA it, mine only takes like 2 hours to charge and that lasts 3 weeks+.

Lucky for you Amazon customer service is really good.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

IRQ posted:

RMA it, mine only takes like 2 hours to charge and that lasts 3 weeks+.

Lucky for you Amazon customer service is really good.

Jesus, this shouldn't be the first answer to a question like that. Try some basic troubleshooting stuff before you ship it back to Amazon.

Try upgrading to the 3.03 firmware and see if that doesn't get the Kindle acting normally: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelg?nodeId=200529700

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I got a Kindle 3 for Christmas from my wife's parents and it is awesome.

I think a Nook would have been just as good for my usage pattern, but there are more choices in accessories for the Kindle.

The web browser is clunky to use, but not as completely useless as the reviews make it out to be. It would actually be kind of useful if I had asked for the 3G version.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

bunnyofdoom posted:

Am I the only one who has a kobo and really likes it? It was cheap, it was Canadian, :canuck: so I could get my stupid patriotic boner, it has wifi, it came with 100 books, I have half my textbooks on it, I was able to download all my notes onto it, it's light, it's easy enough to carry. I bought it two weeks ago, and haven't had to charge it since the initial charge yet.

I've had mine for 6 months. I bought it for $130. I have no experience with other readers, but I have zero complaints about mine. Well, one complaint: there doesn't seem to be any way to delete my credit card info from the kobo store, and no way to sign out of the reader, so that anyone who steals the reader can just buy whatever they want. Apart from that, it isn't the greatest thing in the world for PDFs and takes forever to load plain text files. I'm not complaining, though: the battery life is terrific, it's small and light and perfect for the subway or for laying in bed.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

My Kindle 3 should be in tomorrow. I had one of the original Kindles but sold it when I bought my Ipad, when I did have it I would always fuss about having it in the case all of the time. My question is, is the case really necessary? If my Kindle only goes from my bed stand, to my bag, and to work and back is it going to get scratched up?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

loudog999 posted:

My Kindle 3 should be in tomorrow. I had one of the original Kindles but sold it when I bought my Ipad, when I did have it I would always fuss about having it in the case all of the time. My question is, is the case really necessary? If my Kindle only goes from my bed stand, to my bag, and to work and back is it going to get scratched up?

If it leaves your house then yes it's needed.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

IRQ posted:

If it leaves your house then yes it's needed.

drat, I was hoping not since the commercial shows people jamming the thing in junk drawers and back pockets..

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Yeah I would get the case if I were you. It's extremely small and weighs almost nothing, it wouldn't take many bangs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's literally thinner than a pencil and mostly plastic. It's going to need a case unless you really want to test amazon's return policy on hosed up screens. I haven't gotten to play with an original kindle, but this one is very very fragile feeling. It doesn't really feel like something you can just lob into a pocket or purse, at least not without worrying like crazy unless you can afford to buy these things like corn chips.

I have a sony 650, and while the case is milled aluminum, and it feels pretty steady/rugged, I still use a case (weirdly enough, a kindle 3 case I bought when I had a kindle :v: ) no matter where I am or where I go.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've been reading a lot lately on my iPhone and I'm thinking about buying a Kindle because I don't want to strain my eyes any more than I have to.

Is this Kindle the one I want or will there be a new model coming out soonish? I can wait a few months, I'm in no rush.

Couple questions:

1. I've never even seen a Kindle or ebook reader in real life before. Does it really look like a book page?

2. How does the Kindle I linked to handle pdfs with equations and figures? For example this pdf: http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/CAtxtChap8.pdf. Is it readable?

3. I'm assuming reading in my bed in the dark with the lights off is impossible unless I have a lamp?

4. If I get the Kindle 3G, can I browse the regular internet with it in foreign countries (with GSM) like this blog post suggests, for free?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ziir posted:

I've been reading a lot lately on my iPhone and I'm thinking about buying a Kindle because I don't want to strain my eyes any more than I have to.

Is this Kindle the one I want or will there be a new model coming out soonish? I can wait a few months, I'm in no rush.

Couple questions:

1. I've never even seen a Kindle or ebook reader in real life before. Does it really look like a book page?

2. How does the Kindle I linked to handle pdfs with equations and figures? For example this pdf: http://www.aoe.vt.edu/~mason/Mason_f/CAtxtChap8.pdf. Is it readable?

3. I'm assuming reading in my bed in the dark with the lights off is impossible unless I have a lamp?

4. If I get the Kindle 3G, can I browse the regular internet with it in foreign countries (with GSM) like this blog post suggests, for free?
I don't think there's a new model that's going to be dropping within the next couple of months, so no worries there.

As for your questions:
1. Yes actually, it does look like a book page. Very easy on the eyes and the text, line spacing, words per line, etc. are all adjustable.

2. Pretty okay - you'll have to zoom in on some pages in order to read them well.

3. Yes, there is no backlight.

4. I'm sure that you could, but don't quote me, I own only the wi-fi version.

And agreein' with everybody on getting a case. I don't own one of the official ones (I have a cheap one I got online) and I've also made my own. You should also get one of those adhesive screen-protectors if you can.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Kindle 3 just came out not that long ago so no, they aren't going to put out a new version any time soon.

1. Yes. It looks exactly like a printed page and nothing like a screen.

2. I just popped this into mine and it looked fine. The text was a little small because of the formatting but perfectly readable.

3. Right, but if you buy the official cover you can get a version that has a reading light built in that is powered by the Kindle so no changing of batteries.

4. Someone else will have to answer that one, no idea. Although I do want to point out that not every website will work with the Kindle browser.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ziir posted:

I'm in Chile and I can browse the regular internet without any problem using the US Kindle.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
In terms of kindle vs book page, I can tell you that I've held up paper books right next to the kindle screen, and if the light is good there is literally no difference.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

OK, I took your guy's advice and ordered a cover. I got the crazyondigital one for $18 on sale, I really didn't want to spend almost half of what i paid for the actual Kindle on the official Amazon case. Anybody use the crazyondigital one? How is it?

Edit: after reading on my iPad for the last few months I forgot how great reading on Kindle is, I think it really is an amazing device.

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 2, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The thing with the official amazon case is that it uses the built in clasp holes on the kindle, so you don't have stupid claps and poo poo all over the kindle at the corners.

Petty though it may be, that's worth it to me.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Also I can't imagine a reason why you wouldn't want the lighted case.

Want to read the newspaper in bed when it's still not quite light? In a room that's just dim enough to make the kindle a little hard to read? Problem instantly solved.

Cross09
Oct 17, 2009
I have a Kindle 3 and I love mine. I have had mine for about a month now and enjoy it so much I even bought another one for my wife.

loudog999 posted:

OK, I took your guy's advice and ordered a cover. I got the crazyondigital one for $18 on sale, I really didn't want to spend almost half of what i paid for the actual Kindle on the official Amazon case. Anybody use the crazyondigital one? How is it?

Edit: after reading on my iPad for the last few months I forgot how great reading on Kindle is, I think it really is an amazing device.

I have that case, works just fine. No problems with it.
My wife has a more expensive case but mine works just as well.

Cross09 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 2, 2011

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

maxnmona posted:

Want to read the newspaper in bed when it's still not quite light? In a room that's just dim enough to make the kindle a little hard to read? Problem instantly solved.
[quote="maxnmona"]

I still have a mighty bright light that I used for my first Kindle. It worked great for it and is small enough to carry around in my bag just in case.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

gmq posted:

I'm in Chile and I can browse the regular internet without any problem using the US Kindle.

Would you say the internet is worth the extra $50? I was thinking at first then on long train rides I could use it to read my RSS feeds, look up information like movie times or Google Maps, or anything along those lines, but the more I think about it the less I think I should want those features because it'l distract me from reading books.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ziir posted:

Would you say the internet is worth the extra $50? I was thinking at first then on long train rides I could use it to read my RSS feeds, look up information like movie times or Google Maps, or anything along those lines, but the more I think about it the less I think I should want those features because it'l distract me from reading books.

While I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me here, the browser really isn't good at all.

Google maps will definitely not work, navigating sites that have movie times will be unwieldy at best. It's reaaaaaly basic and excruciatingly slow because of the limitations of eink.

Just use your phone for that stuff.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I've used google maps on my K2 before. It's actually one of the sites that displays quite well.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Google maps works just fine on k3.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I wouldn't say the browser is terrible, but you can tell it definitely needs work done.

Nothing with flash will work on the Kindle because of limitations with eInk, and it is rather slow at times.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Yeah I don't think I'll go with the 3G now that I think about it. Does Target still have Kindles on display? Would like to see one in person before ordering one.

vvv yeah thats part of the reason why I was interested in the 3G version, where I live now I have a smart phone but no internet package cause I don't want to pay for it and it's too expensive on a per use basis vvv

Ziir fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 3, 2011

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Maybe it's because I'm used to browsing the Internet on my crappy phone with Opera Mini with a 25MB/$6 rate but I don't mind using the browser on the Kindle, especially considering that it's "free".

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

gmq posted:

Maybe it's because I'm used to browsing the Internet on my crappy phone with Opera Mini with a 25MB/$6 rate but I don't mind using the browser on the Kindle, especially considering that it's "free".

Speaking of which, have there been any reports on what happens to people when they enable USB tethering on a Kindle? I suspect that it'd be pretty easy to get your device banned, but I haven't heard any stories.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's an interesting article about ebooks and apple ipad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/technology/02apple.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Essentially Apple has determined that most people that read ebooks on the Ipad do so through the Kindle app and they buy their books from Amazon instead of Apple. It used to be the case that if your app had a "store" that sold things, Apple would take 30% of the cut. Amazon has always skirted this issue with their app because when you purchase a book, it launches a web browser and you purchase the book from their actual website instead of from within the app. Now Apple is rejecting apps that do this and requiring the app to also provide an option to purchase from within so they can get their 30% share of the purchase. Sony's ebook app was the first to get axed, most likely Amazon will get pulled soon too.

Kind of a dick move on Apple, but well within their rights I guess.

I held out getting an Ipad mostly because I wanted to wait a generation or so to see if they would improve upoon the design and offer a smaller version. Even if I did own an Ipad, I would still use my kindle for reading books on the go, the e-ink screen is far superior for reading.

But now with the Android based tablets coming out, I'll probably hold off on the Ipad. Epsecially if Apple does away with the Kindle app.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ziir posted:

Yeah I don't think I'll go with the 3G now that I think about it. Does Target still have Kindles on display? Would like to see one in person before ordering one.

vvv yeah thats part of the reason why I was interested in the 3G version, where I live now I have a smart phone but no internet package cause I don't want to pay for it and it's too expensive on a per use basis vvv

I dunno about Target. My local one was all about the iPad last I went.

Best Buy has them, though. They also have the Nook and the Sony Reader.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's an interesting article about ebooks and apple ipad.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/technology/02apple.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

Essentially Apple has determined that most people that read ebooks on the Ipad do so through the Kindle app and they buy their books from Amazon instead of Apple. It used to be the case that if your app had a "store" that sold things, Apple would take 30% of the cut. Amazon has always skirted this issue with their app because when you purchase a book, it launches a web browser and you purchase the book from their actual website instead of from within the app. Now Apple is rejecting apps that do this and requiring the app to also provide an option to purchase from within so they can get their 30% share of the purchase. Sony's ebook app was the first to get axed, most likely Amazon will get pulled soon too.

I held out getting an Ipad mostly because I wanted to wait a generation or so to see if they would improve upoon the design and offer a smaller version. Even if I did own an Ipad, I would still use my kindle for reading books on the go, the e-ink screen is far superior for reading.

But now with the Android based tablets coming out, I'll probably hold off on the Ipad. Epsecially if Apple does away with the Kindle app.

What? I thought they axed the Sony app because it didn't send you to a website, and instead had an in-app store that didn't go through iTunes.

If that's true, though, then it's such bullshit. They're only doing it because they didn't want to take the effort needed to make their own store compete with Sony's and Amazon's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Cartoon Man posted:

If Apple don't back down I reckon the courts will be the ones deciding if it's within their rights.

• Locked thread