Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Here's a thing about Cyber Thug Radio http://www.opportunitylol.com/MilesArcher.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Here's a thing about Cyber Thug Radio http://www.opportunitylol.com/MilesArcher.html

Nice find. That's really interesting. Bummer it came down to contracts and business stuff like that. I always assumed these podcasts made little to no money and never put much thought into how the business side might work. CTR was awesome. :(

Edit: Haven't listened to the Gallagher episode yet because I know it's going to make me uncomfortable, but I checked out the Onion AV Club interview which was pretty insane. That guy is such a gently caress. Marc needs to have Carrot Top on soon as a counterpoint.

Rudy Riot fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 1, 2011

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Rudy Riot posted:

Nice find. That's really interesting. Bummer it came down to contracts and business stuff like that. I always assumed these podcasts made little to no money and never put much thought into how the business side might work. CTR was awesome. :(

Yeah it is a bummer, but it's also kind of good (I guess?) to see podcasts becoming a viable business in several ways. Of course there's been a lot of podcast networks over the years that have folded quickly.

Also, I'm going to update the OP with all the goon-run podcasts, so if you have one, link to it and give a short description.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
For the goon-run podcasts:

Those drat Ross Kids - Two brothers making each other laugh about the news and the perils of living. Inspired by "You Look Nice Today" and "Uhh Yeah Dude." Updated every Tuesday.

Website Link

iTunes

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The_Rob posted:

That's whats so funny. The whole interview it seemed like he wanted to try and get across that he is just a comedian, and he just tell jokes, but then he would start talking about himself and comedians so seriously. He is an odd dude.
The strangest part was how proud he is of not writing his own material, but just reciting jokebooks.

BTW, it's the 1st -- new pod f tompkast is out

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Out of all the crazyness in the Gallagher interview, my favorite line was how he told a gay joke he heard on the street, and after the show a gay guy came up to him and gave him a better joke to use.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

bananasinpajamas posted:

Yeah it is a bummer, but it's also kind of good (I guess?) to see podcasts becoming a viable business in several ways. Of course there's been a lot of podcast networks over the years that have folded quickly.

Also, I'm going to update the OP with all the goon-run podcasts, so if you have one, link to it and give a short description.

Undead Radio - http://www2.kisw.com/listen/category/Undead+Radio or on iTunes searchable under Undead Radio or KISW

A podcast featuring The Reverend En Fuego, Topshelf and Mono-Nick from the BJ Shea Morning Experience, on KISW in Seattle. Daily topics usually include video games, gaming in general and pop culture news.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bobby Malone posted:

Out of all the crazyness in the Gallagher interview, my favorite line was how he told a gay joke he heard on the street, and after the show a gay guy came up to him and gave him a better joke to use.

I love how he kept saying "I didn't even write the joke!" as some kind of mantra that somehow excuses him from saying it...

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I am happy to see that there was no bad blood between anyone, and that we could end up seeing some different form of Cyber Thug Radio.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The_Rob posted:

I am happy to see that there was no bad blood between anyone, and that we could end up seeing some different form of Cyber Thug Radio.

Ditto. I mean, those two episodes were shaky, but they were also VERY GOOD. I'd love to see it come back in some way.

A PRIZED MULE!
Aug 11, 2005

where's the bourbon?

The_Rob posted:

That is nice to see. I've listened to the first couple episodes of "The Wolf Den" on Earwolf and Jeff Ulrich is VERY serious about making Earwolf a lucrative venture.

While I feel like they should make some money on something they put a lot of time, money, and effort into, Jeff's a little wild with it. I'd hate to see CDR become a paid subscription show (ala NNF), but I'd probably pay for it.

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

WoG posted:

BTW, it's the 1st -- new pod f tompkast is out

Oh sweet christ, I made the mistake of listening to this at work- Paul and 2 other comedians perform the Mos Eisly cantina scene as run through the Google voice translator. I'll always think of Chewie as Julie now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The 47 Reagans posted:

The F Plus (the other podcast featuring people reading not very good websites) just put out a new episode:

http://thefpl.us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:episode-34-a-frottage-in-the-woods&catid=1:podcasts

I absolutely love this! Consider yourself subscribed especially due to your latest episode. Can there be a contest to win shirt shoes?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

That is nice to see. I've listened to the first couple episodes of "The Wolf Den" on Earwolf and Jeff Ulrich is VERY serious about making Earwolf a lucrative venture.

While I feel like they should make some money on something they put a lot of time, money, and effort into, Jeff's a little wild with it. I'd hate to see CDR become a paid subscription show (ala NNF), but I'd probably pay for it.

I would hate to see CDR become a pay podcast as well, but I would absolutely pay for it. It's a show I truly look forward to every week.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

The_Rob posted:

I would hate to see CDR become a pay podcast as well, but I would absolutely pay for it. It's a show I truly look forward to every week.

Same here. If it was just a yearly fee I'd probably suck it up and pay. Hopefully it'd be reasonable. I can't see myself doing that with any other show, but CDR was basically my introduction to comedy podcasts...

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
They are getting IFC money now from the Comedy Death Ray IFC show, and they also have the live show at UCB so I doubt they'll make it for pay. Other shows though, maybe...

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Teepkick Shakur posted:

They are getting IFC money now from the Comedy Death Ray IFC show, and they also have the live show at UCB so I doubt they'll make it for pay. Other shows though, maybe...

I doubt the make any money from the shows at the UCB. At theaters like the UCB all the money stays at the theater pretty much no matter who you are. Doug Loves Movies is free to go to and CDR live is $5 a person so they aren't making any money there. I have a few friends who have put on non-improv shows at the UCB that totally sold out every performance and they didn't get to keep a dollar.

gently caress... I just realized that show was so long ago that Seth Morris and Bret Gelman were both living out here in NY. drat!

Penis envy
Jan 22, 2010

You can trust me, I'm a doctor.

Bobby Malone posted:

What Marc should have asked is how long one needs to be on a given street to build a really solid act. Of course, Gallagher has to split the time he spends learning new jokes on the street with the time he spends meeting with scientists so it might not be that long.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

King Lou posted:

I doubt the make any money from the shows at the UCB. At theaters like the UCB all the money stays at the theater pretty much no matter who you are. Doug Loves Movies is free to go to and CDR live is $5 a person so they aren't making any money there. I have a few friends who have put on non-improv shows at the UCB that totally sold out every performance and they didn't get to keep a dollar.

gently caress... I just realized that show was so long ago that Seth Morris and Bret Gelman were both living out here in NY. drat!

This has always made me wonder how Scott makes any money. I know he writes for various things, and he and Kulap do guest spots on shows, but how much can he possibly make a year??

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Kevin Pollak recently said that iTunes will soon have a per-pay-episode option for podcasts, which they currently don't. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Earwolf shows move onto using that when it's available since they don't really have any other way to monetize the thing.

The catch will be the price point. I'd gladly buy a NNF-style season pass for the shows I like, but it will mean I'll drop others and probably only buy some of the episodes for shows like How Did This Get Made.

Or maybe they'll just do what Maron's doing now and charge for the back catalog. That seems pretty smart, since you get people hooked on the new shows and then if they want more they can pay a bit and get them and it also doesn't lose any of the current subscribers.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I also hate that it would mean that CDR would no longer be available to Zune users without having to download in iTunes and then manually add the audio files to the device (barring Zune modifying their infrastructure to allow the pay-per-episode feature)

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ALFbrot posted:

I also hate that it would mean that CDR would no longer be available to Zune users without having to download in iTunes and then manually add the audio files to the device (barring Zune modifying their infrastructure to allow the pay-per-episode feature)

I wouldn't be able to listen either, using Android with a podcasting app. If they went pay, I'd probably just catch up on other podcasts instead. It would be nice if they'd just go the sponsor route instead, you'd figure that Comedy Central, or some related venture would be happy to get a commercial or two on there.

For DLM, various dispensaries could sponsor the show.

rasactive
Dec 25, 2007
o hai

Civil posted:

For DLM, various dispensaries could sponsor the show.

I knew it was a brave new world in California when Cyber Thug Radio (one of the two episodes on earwolf) had a dispensary sponsorship.

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I absolutely love this! Consider yourself subscribed especially due to your latest episode. Can there be a contest to win shirt shoes?

Thanks, but I'm not one of the readers (although if they can find some shirt shoes there can probably be a contest?)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Has anyone listened to the new Michael Ian Black/Tom Cavenaugh podcast, "Mike and Tom Eat Snacks"? I like both those guys. I hope it's good. I'm always welcome to new funny podcasts, even if I technically don't have time to listen to them.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Civil posted:

I wouldn't be able to listen either, using Android with a podcasting app.

If paying isn't your actual block, I do exactly this with NNF. You basically pay the season pass for login access to the RSS feed, and I just run it through Doggcatcher (Listen doesn't currently work with logins).

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Everyone should check out Thrilling Adventure Hour if you already haven't. I loved Colonel Tick Tock's appearance on CDR last year, and the other characters are just fantastic.

I wish I were in LA to catch a live show.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

Holy Christ, the latest WTF with Dave Foley (ep. 146) is depressing as gently caress, especially towards the end.

SlaveToTheGrinds
Apr 3, 2010
Couple of details please, I listen to this at work for the laughs and love him because of the interesting insights I don't want to feel suicidal though (he does tend to get really dark sometimes). Need to know if I should save this one for later or not.

Scylla
Sep 20, 2001

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

Couple of details please, I listen to this at work for the laughs and love him because of the interesting insights I don't want to feel suicidal though (he does tend to get really dark sometimes). Need to know if I should save this one for later or not.

Actually most of it was fine and/or funny -- it only got depressing when (in the last 20 minutes or so) he started talking about his 11-year marriage to an absolutely crazy bitch who's still bleeding him white, even years after he divorced her.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Yeah, the majority of the Foley interview is really funny, talking about which Kid in the Hall was the best-looking woman, that sort of thing.

It does sound like he's basically hosed if he ever wants to go back to Canada, though.

NegativePower
May 9, 2005
Only thing missing from the Dave Foley interview was more talk about News Radio.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Canadiadn Famliy law sounds completely hosed. "Basically, if I don't make a million dollars a year, I am committing a crime". What the hell Canada?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I just listened to the Gallagher WTF today, so forgive me for being late to the party. I'm pretty sure Gallagher sucks at chemistry.

I only took Chem 1, but I'm 99% sure cell phones don't shoot protons at you. In the PYF history thing thread, there's a story of a russian nuclear scientist that got hit by a proton in a particle accelerator and his hair fell out, his skull swelled, lost memories, etc.

The sense of entitlement was insane as well. I imagine arguing with Gallagher is much like arguing with Glenn Beck; he uses a bunch of logical fallacies, realizes he's not going to talk his way out, and just quits and leaves.

I loved that he dislikes audiences in NYC/Seattle/LA because he'll get booed for telling racist & homophobic jokes.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

red19fire posted:

I just listened to the Gallagher WTF today, so forgive me for being late to the party. I'm pretty sure Gallagher sucks at chemistry.

I only took Chem 1, but I'm 99% sure cell phones don't shoot protons at you. In the PYF history thing thread, there's a story of a russian nuclear scientist that got hit by a proton in a particle accelerator and his hair fell out, his skull swelled, lost memories, etc.

Gallagher was saying photon, not proton. And every chemistry related thing he said was correct. He just did a really bad job explaining it.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I wonder if Maron read the AV Club interview before talking to Gallagher. Seems like he might have started out a little slower if he had. Or maybe that would be a betrayal of his style. He just comes right out of the gate with stuff that's basically like "people say you're a washed up unfunny racist hack, why would they say that?". But the best moments of WTF come from Maron's closeness with the subjects, and he seemed to know of Gallagher only via articles and thirdhand reputation. I think that weakened the interview a lot.

Also: due to my wife's awesomeness, I got to see the recent live "You Look Nice Today" show, along with "Jordan, Jesse, Go!". I kept hoping they would shut up about the cardigan, but alas it ended up being the focal point of the 30 min. I suppose it would be a lot to ask to get something on the level of "Truck Spank" in a live show. And let me say for the record- Holy poo poo were there some hipsters in that place.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Way behind on DLM, but its funny to hear Doug talk about the person with the annoying laugh that is at every episode. God that hate that hissing laugh.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

AnnoyBot posted:

Also: due to my wife's awesomeness, I got to see the recent live "You Look Nice Today" show, along with "Jordan, Jesse, Go!". I kept hoping they would shut up about the cardigan, but alas it ended up being the focal point of the 30 min. I suppose it would be a lot to ask to get something on the level of "Truck Spank" in a live show. And let me say for the record- Holy poo poo were there some hipsters in that place.

Wives who subsidize quality comedy outings are indeed awesome. :hfive: Mine ensured that I got to see the live Benson Interruption (think I got a contact buzz just from the dudes next to me), a live Rifftrax (I was too shy to go up and say hi to Maria Bamford :( ), and the Paul F. Tompkins show (he really is amazing).

Scylla posted:

Actually most of it was fine and/or funny -- it only got depressing when (in the last 20 minutes or so) he started talking about his 11-year marriage to an absolutely crazy bitch who's still bleeding him white, even years after he divorced her.

Foley was still fairly upbeat at the very end, though, which amazed me.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Dave Foley was on a NNF bonus episode a while back(last year's Sketchfest maybe?) and it was hilariously dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Dave Foley was on a NNF bonus episode a while back(last year's Sketchfest maybe?) and it was hilariously dark.

Was that the one where he joked about Phil Hartman?

• Locked thread