Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
i love seanbaby real talk

e: fanastic way to start a new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

Gramps posted:

Thanks for giving me credit for my old rear end thread that you plagarized half of your op from ya douche :shakefist:

No hard feelings though. Glad to see the MMA threads growing and finding a new home.

At least I admitted it:

RobBorer posted:

Hey, I made a thread. It's mostly just me plagiarizing from other threads. If anyone has anything to add, let me know.

I was actually going to just repost your whole OP, but then I realized that everything had changed so I updated it a bit.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.
It may be a good idea to have fight breakdowns and small fighter bios for this weekend's GDT so WrestleFolk who are interested know what's going on.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

RobBorer posted:

It may be a good idea to have fight breakdowns and small fighter bios for this weekend's GDT so WrestleFolk who are interested know what's going on.

I strongly recommend this.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

RobBorer posted:

Gabe Ruediger's may as well be cross posted to "Fighters that are more bizarre than Pro Wrestling characters".

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

RobBorer posted:

Jeez extra pressure!

I was planning on linking to the wikipedia articles in the op along with pictures and stuff in an effort post. Is it still cool to post on Thursday afternoon?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kensei posted:

Jeez extra pressure!

I was planning on linking to the wikipedia articles in the op along with pictures and stuff in an effort post. Is it still cool to post on Thursday afternoon?

Wikipedia articles are good; also a brief blurb for each matchup explaining what it means (if anything) in the division or for each fighter's career. It doesn't have to be a huge exhaustive analysis, but something that gives newcomers some kind of context for the fights would be good.

In general you gotta expect that for the next few events we're gonna have a lot more newer people reading the threads so some effort towards making it easy for them to understand what's going on would be appreciated on all sides, I think.

Also just because kensei's doing the OP doesn't mean other people can't chime in as well. Once the thread gets posted, if there's a particular match you're really interested in, feel free to post in the thread giving more details about the background of the fight.

And yeah, Thursday afternoon is fine. At the very least, the thread should be up by Friday afternoon so people who watch the weigh-ins can post about them in it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

kensei posted:

Jeez extra pressure!

If you don't mind I'll write up some quick newcomer friendly previews for you.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

RobBorer posted:

Start a new sport that is the exact same thing as boxing, but uses 4 ounce gloves, 3 rounds of 3 minutes, and uses MMA weight classes. Get on HBO, and use a tournament system with exclusive contracts. Sign young talent and build stars while establishing a new culture.

So basically UFC with none of that gay poo poo.

Quoting this from way back but.. We have this in the UK already basically. It's called Prizefighter and it's 8 fights in one night, basically a little tournament of 3 x 3 minute rounds. It's pretty awful but that might just be because the only guys that do it are the ones that have to enter it because they're not good enough for proper boxing. Probably, though, it's poo poo because that's not what Boxing is. Boxing isn't a 'who hits harder' competition. It's about hitting and not getting hit and outlasting your opponent over 35(or 12 if you want to be a GIANT NEW AGE PUSSY) rounds.

In the last one, a dude got to the final but had to withdraw because of a cut so a stand by got to enter, fresh as a daisy into the final and fight a guy who had just fought twice. He lost.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Wikipedia articles are good; also a brief blurb for each matchup explaining what it means (if anything) in the division or for each fighter's career. It doesn't have to be a huge exhaustive analysis, but something that gives newcomers some kind of context for the fights would be good.

In general you gotta expect that for the next few events we're gonna have a lot more newer people reading the threads so some effort towards making it easy for them to understand what's going on would be appreciated on all sides, I think.

Also just because kensei's doing the OP doesn't mean other people can't chime in as well. Once the thread gets posted, if there's a particular match you're really interested in, feel free to post in the thread giving more details about the background of the fight.

And yeah, Thursday afternoon is fine. At the very least, the thread should be up by Friday afternoon so people who watch the weigh-ins can post about them in it.

I'm bored at work, so I might punch one or two out in between doing something I'm paid to do.

Forrest Griffin v Rich Franklin

Franklin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Franklin
Rich Franklin is one of the UFCs most successful fighters his only losses have come at the hands of champions Dan Henderson a former pride GP winner, Anderson Silva the current MW champion, Vitor Belfort, facing Silva for the title and Lyoto Machida, former light heavy weight champion. Though he found most of his success at middle weight he made the decision to go up in weight to the light heavyweight division after being unable to retain or win back his title from Anderson Silva.

He's widely recognised as one of the best technical fighters in the UFC, he has crisp stand up as shown in his title win over evan tanner and his defeat of Matt Hammil, his defensive Jiu Jitsu is considered solid overall and he's shown in the past a decent offensive wrestling pedigree. He's very well rounded and has a wealth of experience. At 36 it's understandable that he's considered to be on the downside of his career and recently he's suffered injuries that have kept him out of regular competition.

For his career to have any real meaning over the next year or so he has to win against Forrest Griffin. The LHW division is considered one of, if not the most competitive division and it'll require a solid victory to even sniff title contention.

Griffin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forrest_Griffin
Forrest Griffin is a former light heavy weight champion who's rise to fame occured during the opening season of the Ultimate Fighter. The finale of the event saw a fight that almost undoubtedly saved the UFC and earned him his professional contract. Griffin had an up and down beginning to his career, largely due to his often self destructive fighting style. That both hindered his career as a fighter and endeared him to fans worldwide.

At times his striking seems almost child-like and amatuerish and he has a habit of wading forward throwing power after being rocked which has lead to him being on the receiving end of some highlight reel KOs. Griffin's also well known for his heart as he's probably the the gutsiest fighter to step foot in the octagon. As of late however he has shown an improvement in his technical ability. He's a well rounded striker who won a title using damaging leg kicks and an previously unseen sound strategy. He's a huge BJJ fan and if he retired tomorrow he'd likely continue to compete and train in that arena for that reason he has an active guard and strong top game. He recently earned his black belt and despite his reputation as more of a scrappy stand up brawler has won the majority of his fights by submission.

What to Expect
The question here is which version of Forrest Griffin will show up. If it's the calm and considered Forrest I would expect to see a solid technical stand up matchup with takedowns late in the round from either fighter. Forrest will likely have an advantage in the clinch game due to his sheer size and strength he stands 2 inches taller and weighs possibly up to 20-25 pounds more come fight time.

By the same token this could turn into a scrap fest that will be lucky to last past the second round.

Either way you're garanteed a solid fight, I don't recall either of these fighters ever turning up out of shape, lazy and unwilling to engage and put on a show, it should be noted too however that Griffin should have some legitimate ring rust as this will be his first action since november 2009. While this isn't a do-or-die contract wise fight for either fighter, it is a fight that will likely set the tone for their immediate future. Both want a title shot, both are coming from relatively large career set backs and both need a win to become relevant in the UFC title picture.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Anderson "The Spider" Silva versus Vitor "The Phenom" Belfort
The main event of UFC 126 for the UFC Middleweight Championship (185 lb division)

Anderson Silva (27-4, 12 fight win streak in the UFC) is considered the "pound-for-pound" best fighter in the world by most fans, MMA journalists, and the UFC's boss himself Dana White. He earned that recognition in part by stopping the former champion Rich Franklin's reign at middleweight and KOing or submitting anyone who has challenged him since. Silva has yet to be knocked out during his MMA career, despite taking some heavy strikes to the chin on occasion. He will be putting his undefeated UFC record, his chin, and the belt on the line when he fights Vitor Belfort.

Anderson Silva is coming off a legendary narrow victory over Chael Sonnen, who was a mere minute and a half away from becoming the new champion and ending Anderson's undefeated record in the UFC. This has brought about speculation that "The Spider"'s time at the top might soon be coming to an end. Fans (and haters) are eager to see if Silva "still has it" when he steps into the Octagon that night.

Vitor Belfort (19-8, 1 year lay off since his last fight) is a former UFC champion in his own right, but that was long ago in terms of how quickly the sport evolves. Vitor doesn't actually have any wins at middleweight in the UFC, but earned the contender's spot after a fast KO against former champion Rich Franklin in 2009 at a catch-weight bout of 195 lbs. He is making his debut in the division in a championship fight. That's pretty cool (if a little undeserved).

Belfort is bringing with him some of the fastest strikes in the middleweight division, where if you blink you might miss what happened. This will be a great challenge for Anderson Silva who has effortlessly dodged and countered his opponent's slower strikes in the past. But Belfort has shown to have a quesitonable heart or "give up" in fights that don't go his way, which won't fly with an Anderson Silva. That combined with the fact that he is coming off a shoulder injury that sidelined him for over a year and his chances don't look great.

Either way this should be a great match-up for UFC middleweight champion.

----------------------------------

Totally feel free to use someone elses write up or do your own thing. I just did my take on it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That's pretty awesome Bubba.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The other thing you should know about Anderson Silva is that he occasionally has The Most Terrible Fights. Anderson is a brilliant counter puncher, but if someone doesn't try to aggressively engage him he tends to dance, do capoeira moves and punch people in their knees instead of really attacking. This led to 2 title defenses that were called disgraceful by Dana White, a man who's shamelessness when it comes to UFC promotion normally knows no bounds. A lot of people hate him because of those 2 title defenses and want nothing more than to see him lose and go away.

He's the most successful fighter in UFC history going a perfect 12-0 since he joined the org in 2006, with 8 of those wins coming in title fights.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

A Pale Horse posted:

The other thing you should know about Anderson Silva is that he occasionally has The Most Terrible Fights. Anderson is a brilliant counter puncher, but if someone doesn't try to aggressively engage him he tends to dance, do capoeira moves and punch people in their knees instead of really attacking. This led to 2 title defenses that were called disgraceful by Dana White, a man who's shamelessness when it comes to UFC promotion normally knows no bounds. A lot of people hate him because of those 2 title defenses and want nothing more than to see him lose and go away.

He's the most successful fighter in UFC history going a perfect 12-0 since he joined the org in 2006, with 8 of those wins coming in title fights.

Anderson Silva sounds like my kind of fighter. I'll try to pick up the PPV and catch the prelims on Saturday.

Glass Punkbull 141 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 3, 2011

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah I had a whole section about "Why would anyone hate this man?" but then I felt it was getting a bit long. I like what you wrote though.

and thanks KidDynamite

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jack Anderson posted:

Anderson Silva sounds like my kind of fighter. I'll try to pick up the PPV and catch the prelims on Saturday.

In exchange for you guys making all these awesome write up's I'll try and do the same with the WWE matches in the GSD/Discussion threads.

The thing to note here is that those weren't dancing before he put his opponent away, he did nothing but dance for 25 minutes against Demien Maia while insulting him in Portugese. It was funny to start with and then it kept happening and happening to in the fifth round he actually hid behind the ref and the ref wanted to know if he could deduct a point for pure cowardice (he could have under the unified rules, but didn't happen).

This is why when he fought Chael Sonnen, pound for pound unlikable insane big talker, that when Sonnen were beating on him for 23 minutes the crowd were cheering even though they were in fact cheering Chael Sonnen.

Edit: it should be noted that Demien Maia is actually a really really good fighter and unlike Thales Leities, the other embarrassment, could have made a legitimate reason to be fighting Silva. Toying with him just seemed obscene and the crowd were in the last two round chanting for Maia because even though he was outclasses he showed heart and wanted to still try.

Lid fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 3, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I tried to write this at least somewhat from the "I have no clue about MMA" perspective.

THE MAIN CARD, 10 PM ON PAY-PER-VIEW

Main event: Anderson Silva (c) vs. Vitor Belfort for the UFC Middleweight Championship

Quick synopsis: Considered one of the top three or so pound for pound fighters in the world, Anderson Silva has won 13 in a row, essentially clearing out the UFC middleweight division save Yushin Okami. Enter Vitor Belfort, former light heavyweight champion and heavyweight contender.

Anderson Silva is one of the best strikers in MMA, using tremendous movement, precision striking, and great power in both his hands and knees to create some highlight reel knockouts. Silva's weakness has long been considered his wrestling, something which Belfort is unlikely to expose. In his last fight, Silva was dominated in all aspects for 23 minutes by a heavy underdog, former NCAA All-American and Olympic alternate wrestler Chael Sonnen, before submitting him with a desperation triangle in one of the great title fights in UFC history. Silva is 35 and has been criticized for underperforming not only in the Sonnen fight but in recent title defenses where he didn't look so hot against mid-level performers like Patrick Cote, Thales Leites, and Demian Maia.

Vitor "The Phenom" Belfort is a star from an earlier time, who originally burst onto the UFC scene in the late-1990s. At a time when essentially nobody knew what the gently caress they were doing, he was a dynamic and explosive fighter and scored a number of brutal knockouts. Belfort's career has been a bit star-crossed, with both personal and professional disasters mixed in with brilliant quick knockouts, over the last decade, but he's still only 33. Belfort still has great striking (for MMA) and good wrestling and BJJ, but his cardio usually sucks and he's fairly untested cutting to middleweight. You occasionally hear "The Old Vitor Is Back!" when he adds to his long highlight reel of KOs, but in reality he's been getting decisioned by cardio machine wrestlers since UFC 15 so that was part of The Old Vitor too. Belfort originally got a titleshot based on a catchweight fight by Rich Franklin, then lost it due to injuries, and got it back when Chael Sonnen was suspended for drug use and then pleading guilty to federal money laundering charges.

Silva is a -250 (2 1/2 to 1) favorite on the betting line. This is likely to be an explosive standing fight and stylistically is a fun matchup.

Co-main event: Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin

Quick synopsis: Griffin and Franklin are two popular former champions who usually have excellent fights, making this a perfect co-main event bout.

The details: Forrest Griffin is an overachiever who lacks any great skills but is good everywhere, always fights hard, and has pretty good cardio. He was thought to be a mid-level attraction until he knocked off Shogun Rua to become the number one contender for the LHW title and Rampage Jackson to win the title, both considered massive upsets. He lost the title in December 2008 to Rashad Evans, and has only fought twice since amid injuries: getting embarassingly knocked out by Anderson Silva and decisioning Tito Ortiz. Forrest used to be known as a brawler and had a terrible habit of rushing forward with his chin out, but in recent years has become a more technical fighter.

Rich "Ace" Franklin would probably be considered one of the greatest fighters ever in a world where Anderson Silva didn't exist. Like Griffin, he's a guy who is good everywhere, although much more technically sound, and almost always puts on a good performance. Rich has been in a lot of big fights and only lost to Silva twice, Belfort, Dan Henderson, and Lyoto Machida, all top fighters and champions. Because Anderson Silva is a terrible stylistic matchup for Franklin and his best weight class would probably be around 195 - he's a little too big to comfortably make 185 and a little smaller for 205 - Franklin has bounced up and down between 185, 205, and catchweights since losing the middleweight title to Silva in 2006 and losing a rematch in 2007. He appears to have settled at 205 now.

Franklin is a slight favorite on the betting line. It should be an exciting, fast-paced fight. Although this fight doesn't have immediate title implications, both of these guys have a decent name win in their last fight (Griffin over Tito, Franklin over Chuck Liddell) and are never that far from title contention if they string together some wins. Although neither have great weaknesses except slightly questionable chins, Franklin is more skilled than Griffin almost everywhere. But Griffin has a big size advantage.

Jon Jones vs. Ryan Bader

Quick synopsis: Despite the lower billing, this fight has much greater implications in the light heavyweight title picture, with the winner in the mix for the next shot. It's also a fight between two of the most promising up-and-comers in mixed martial arts.

The details: Jon "Bones" Jones is known for his flashy and creative style. His background is as a national champion wrestler at the junior college level, but Jones also has incredibly flashy and innovative striking and is generally one of the most athletic guys in the sport. He's 6-1 in the UFC, all performances quite dominant with the only loss a controversial DQ for an illegal elbow as he was finishing Matt Hamill.

Ryan Bader is undefeated, coming off an impressive decision over Antonio Rogerio Nogueira. Bader was a collegiate wrestler at Arizona State and won season 8 of The Ultimate Fighter. His style is more of your traditional folkstyle wrestler turned wrestleboxer, and while he's pretty good some of his fights have been pretty boring humpathons.

Jones is a -350 favorite. While that seems steep, he's a lot more versatile and his wrestling base makes it unlikely that Bader will be able to wrestlefuck him.

Miguel Angel Torres vs. Antonio Banuelos

Quick synopsis: The first main card fight in UFC's new bantamweight division, this matches up a former WEC bantamweight champion with a longtime WEC contender who has never gotten a title fight. And it should be a dandy.

Miguel Torres loving rules. His fights always own, his interviews and Twitter owns, his groundwork owns, and his striking owns although somewhat less. After holding the WEC bantamweight title for a year and a half, during which all of his fights were basically fight of the year candidates, he dropped the title to Brian Bowles via a flash KO and then got guillotined trying to get back into contention by fellow awesome ground guy Joseph Benavidez.

Antonio Banuelos is probably most famous for training with Chuck Liddell, but he's not exactly a slouch. A WEC guy since before Zuffa even owned the company, he's had a lot of fights too, and usually beaten the weaker guys and lost to the contenders. Like Torres, his fights are always fight of the night candidates. His style is kinda similar to Liddell in that he's a brawler who can wrestle when he wants to, but he's not really as good as Liddell was in his prime.

Torres is a -500 favorite. This fight exists to be really great and to introduce Torres as a contender to the wider UFC audience. The lighter weight classes usually have great fast-paced fights between guys who are good, and this should be no different.

Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha

Quick synopsis: Your classic wrestler vs. BJJ expert bout.

Jake Ellenberger is another wrestler off the assembly line. He has generally looked pretty impressive since joining UFC after a long B-league career, losing a close decision to Carlos Condit and beating decent guys in Mike Pyle and John Howard. He was supposed to be tested against top contender Jon Fitch, but Fitch was pulled to instead fight BJ Penn.

We don't really know a ton about Carlos Eduardo Rocha quite yet. He's a very well decorated BJJ guy, but that doesn't always translate to MMA. Rocha has a bunch of quick stoppages, mostly submissions, in the European Z-leagues and quickly submitted Kris McCray, who may or may not suck, in his UFC debut. This will be a big test for him as an overall fighter.

The problem with the classic wrestler vs. BJJ guy fights is that sometimes they end up being kickboxing fights between lovely strikers. Let's hope that doesn't happen here.

UNDERCARD FIGHTS AIRING FOR FREE ON SPIKE TV AT 9 PM

Donald Cerrone vs. Paul Kelly

Quick synopsis: One of WEC's top lightweights is making his debut against a European gatekeeper, which will tell us a lot about the guys coming over at 155 from the WEC.

The details: Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone was one of the most popular fighters in WEC. His fights were usually very good, he's an interesting interview, he makes fun of Jamie Varner a lot, and he wears a cool hat. He's almost a pure kickboxer and has shown significant deficiencies in wrestling. Although he was never a champion in WEC, he did beat some of the other top lightweights in that division and hung with most others. So by proxy Cerrone's performance here as the first guy crossing over will be used to peg the approximate talent level of the division, which is uncertain.

Paul Kelly is an okay English guy who was originally brought in to be a local on the UFC's European shows. For some reason he's showed up on American shows lately. He's your classic gatekeeper and has good wrestling on the British scale (damning with faint praise).

Cerrone is a -340 favorite. On paper he should walk through Kelly, and if he doesn't there's going to be a ton of people questioning the WEC lightweights.

Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa

Quick synopsis: A featherweight title eliminator between a top UFC contender and a redebuting top Japanese fighter. This fight should be great too.

Chad "Money" Mendes is another top wrestler coming into MMA. A NCAA national runner-up and PAC-Ten Wrestler of the Year, Mendes started in MMA with Team Alpha Male (cue Master Thonglor jokes) just a little over two years ago but has quickly moved his way into title contention beating an increasingly better list of opponents. In addition to some of the best wrestling credentials in the division, his striking keeps looking better and better. Mendes is probably the next guy in line for a title shot at the Aldo/Hominick winner with a victory here.

Michihiro Omigawa was a pretty good judoka who went into MMA, which happens a lot in Japan. He started out as a crappy lightweight, going 0-2 in his first UFC stint, before dropping to featherweight, which is a better class for him. He scored some big upsets to make the finals of Sengoku's featherweight tournament, and since then has won five straight against not entirely terrible opposition.

Mendes is a -340 favorite, and on paper is a lot better. But Omigawa's been in the deep end and pulled it out before. Another one that should be a quick, fun, grapplefest.

UNDERCARD FIGHT AIRING FOR FREE ON FACEBOOK/UFC STREAMING AT 8 PM

Kid Yamamoto vs. Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson

Quick synopsis: Kid Yamamoto finally makes his long-awaited UFC debut and has the size advantage for probably the first time ever.

At one time, Kid Yamamoto was considered the best featherweight in the world and the biggest star in Japanese MMA when that was a notable achievement. Now he makes his American debut eighth from the top as a bantamweight. Yamamoto when he's on his game has both wrestling - he went to high school in America and was an Arizona state champion - and striking - he was a K-1 kickboxer and only somewhat sucked at it. Despite being badly undersized, he regularly competed and beat top guys as high as lightweight. Injuries and scandals looked to take their toll on him the last few years, and now he's coming to America and dropping to his natural weight class.

Demetrious Johnson would probably be, along with Joseph Benavidez, one of the handful of best flyweights in the world. But that class doesn't yet exist in any major American organization, although UFC has talked about starting one. So he toils as an undersized bantamweight. He's an all-around very good fighter who, like many on this card, usually has great high-paced fights.

Kid is a very slight favorite. We don't really know how much Kid has left in the tank and no outcome would really be shocking here.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 3, 2011

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

That's a really good write up. Thinks.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Jack Anderson posted:

You know what I would love, and I hope no one is offended by this at all, but I would love a nice big post about why I should care about wrestling. I know its about stories and drama, and thats pretty much what I love about combat sports. In combat sports though, the drama, the human stories, that all comes out as a consequence of the real competition happening inside the ring or octagon. As a fan of combat sports I become invested in the outcome of an authentic contest and I don't get how people do the same in a sport where its common knowledge that the outcomes are part of a larger dramatization.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Coitus_Interruptus posted:

As a fan of combat sports I become invested in the outcome of an authentic contest and I don't get how people do the same in a sport where its common knowledge that the outcomes are part of a larger dramatization.

In terms of storylines and drama, I don't think it's really any different than getting invested in the outcome of a scripted television show. Pro wrestling can be really good when it's done well, it's just not done well all the time (or even much at all these days IMO).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Rich has been in a lot of big fights and only lost to Silva twice, Belfort, and Lyoto Machida, all top fighters and champions.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

fatherdog posted:

I don't count that fight

I'll edit it

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Pro wrestling can be really good when it's done well, it's just not done well all the time (or even much at all these days IMO).

I don't doubt it, I just want a nice post that shows me that, shows me what there is to enjoy in the product.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't count that fight

I'll edit it

"Winner by SPLIT decision!"

I try to imagine the alternate universe where Rich Franklin KO'd Bisping with a knee.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

I don't doubt it, I just want a nice post that shows me that, shows me what there is to enjoy in the product.

"Tonight, the arena is sold out. A dozen shades of gray will square off in a pageantry of war. The opponents are unlikely in the real world, but in the amphitheater of our imagination, they're well matched. The punk rockers will battle the mountain men. The black separatists will fight the post-apocalyptic warriors. The gang-banger will rumble with the aristocrat. The future will struggle with the past, and the living will duel with the dead. In the end, just like a good Soap Opera, no issues will be resolved; the story is "To Be Continued". The combatants will live to fight another night, in another town. Is wrestling fake? Absolutely. It's as fake as your imagination, as phony as your daydreams. Are we celebrating violence when we enjoy a wrestling match? Definitely. Does this mean we're a society in decay? Maybe, but don't forget that, unlike the Romans, we're not throwing Christians to the lions here. Maybe we should sit back, relax, enjoy the show, and take comfort in the knowledge that we live in a society that prefers its mayhem to be make-believe. Sure, wrestling's fake; we wouldn't have it any other way."
~ Steve Allen, The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling

The way I describe pro wrestling to my friends is "Exaggerated Combat".

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It's easier to imagine wrestling as MMA dinner theater.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I don't get how people do the same in a sport where its common knowledge that the outcomes are part of a larger dramatization.

They may know what's going to happen and who is going to win, but I don't.

When it's done right.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

What is your opinion of Herb Dean?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I think he's prone to letting fighters take far more damage than is necessary but is very good at other decisions.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

Jack Anderson posted:

What is your opinion of Herb Dean?

Herb Dean is probably the best referee around. He doesn't make mistakes too often and he is never a factor in a fight.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
This basically goes out to anyone who played the UFC Undisputed 2010 and EA MMA, how would you compare them?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Holy crap dudes, I'll use those posts and make it all pretty with some pictures and links. Thanks much!

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

This basically goes out to anyone who played the UFC Undisputed 2010 and EA MMA, how would you compare them?

UFC: Chunky, but otherwise polished. More indeph everything, but still accessible. Has gaping flaws that will annoy the hell out of you if you're really good. Online play was absolutley broken in this years version

MMA: Fluid, but otherwise horrible graphics with limited animations. Roster is hilarious. Online play is awesome, live announcers in special weekly events, plus belts you can win and defend. Very simple controls with the punching system from fight night. Career mode is fun for 15 fights but then a snooze.

I enjoyed both, but if I had to pick one i'd go for UFC every time.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I think EAMMA has a much better control system, but overall the game is not polished (the commentators will talk at the same time as the ring announcers, the camera whips back and forth in a motion-sickness inducing nightmare), they don't include all grappling positions or even most standup strikes, and the roster for any MMA game is a joke unless it includes the UFC.

EAMMA has a better create a fighter mode (you can use high res jpegs of a dude's face), better online play in general, and fighter share.

The UFC game's presentation almost exactly matches what their product is like in real life, almost every takedown, submission, and grappling position is represented, and the roster is very deep.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I played EA MMA through three times before deciding to switch to the button-based control scheme, which in my opinion is way more fluid and pleasant--and I was one of those annoying, douchebaggy "YOU CAN'T USE THE BUTTONS YOU GOTTA USE THE STICK" Fight Night Round 4 fans, so it is not a lack of enjoyment for stick-based strike controls, I just didn't feel like their translation of the system worked particularly well.

1st AD posted:

EAMMA has a better create a fighter mode (you can use high res jpegs of a dude's face)

I gotta disagree with this. The EA gameface stuff is fantastic when it works, but it very often does not work well at all, and they don't give you much in the way of options for tweaking. Add to this that you have less control over bodily appearance and compound that with having way less actual customization within the fighter's arsenal, and I was actually really disappointed in EA MMA's create-a-dude features. You can alter the stances and the stats, but the fighters all move and fight really similarly--you get to define every part of your arsenal in Undisputed 2010, but EA MMA gives you, what, 16 out of 27 special moves, a number of which are transitions and such. It's disappointingly shallow.

That being said, fighter share is loving awesome, and if THQ has any sense they'll either steal it completely, or they'll go cannibalize the online community system from Smackdown vs. Raw and shoehorn it into the next UFC game.

Oh, and if you play career in either game, look forward to celebrating the top tiers of achievement by fighting the same three guys over and over again.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Hey man, I enjoy fighting George Liddell and Quinton Lesnar over and over and over...

That's one thing that annoyed me - there are a million different name combinations in EAMMA, but the computer never generates more than a handful of unique fighters.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
What is the deal with New York?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Essentially one state assemblyman named Bob Reilly, a Democrat from upstate, is a vehement opponent of MMA (and all combat sports including boxing). Reilly is a close ally of probably the worst politician in the country, the corrupt assembly speaker Shelly Silver. Because of their close relationship and that he doesn't really give a poo poo in general, Silver is refusing to allow MMA legalization to even come up for a vote.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

KungFu Grip posted:

If we land a proper venue there, Gourd of Taste will eat a hat.

Pretty much what Jefferson said. Reilly is making it his life's mission to not have "human dog fighting" in his state. That said, it will happen in our lifetime. Mainly because we'll outlive Reilly and Silver. Then we can watch Gourd eat a hat, hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So is there anyone who has a legitimate argument for using the ten point must system, apart from "b..but boxing!"

and as a follow up: is there anyone _in boxing_ who has a legitimate argument for using the ten point must system?