Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l33t HAXOR
Jun 21, 2000

Whats the matter, You dont like Fuckin Pearl Jam?
I'm in Windsor with MNSi DSL and I'm getting 4.2Mb down 600Kb up from a 5/800 connection. I'm surprised to hear how bad some peoples line speeds are. Mine wasn't even that bad when the line to my house was so corroded it disintegrated in the techs hand. I though 4Mb was a little slow compared to friends cable but with unlimited transfer it was completely livable and in fact preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Most utilities will charge you a basic fee for service and then a usage fee. So like $10/month as a base fee then your usage on top of that at market rates. Electric utilities, water utilities and gas utilities all already do this. So isn't the problem just establishing a fair market rate for bandwidth? Why can't I see the following on my bill?

$10: account and infrastructure base fee
$0.25: 5gb @ 0.05/gb
$10.25 total

Why isn't this an option? Is it because the monopolies own the infrastructure which means they can set the bandwidth cost to whatever they want? I mean $2 per gigabyte is ludicrous and obviously being set out of thin air.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Here I made you guys something.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vergeh
Jan 15, 2008

Pockets!

cowofwar posted:

Here I made you guys something.

This right here made my night.

I've been debating getting Teksavvy cable, but I really can't justify the startup cost (you need to buy your own modem). Not until I graduate, at least.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

univbee posted:

You mean like in Japan with its population five times Canada's where 160 megabit internet for $60 is the norm? No, although in fairness I'm not sure what constitutes normal use over there (freeish* digital over-the-air TV is available everywhere, no one games on PC, virtually all Japanese PC games are retail packages only, their rental stores are basically heaven so you really don't need to download a movie illegally, and even if you could good luck finding Japanese subtitles for it); I think in Japan they just innovated everything else so the internet was less of a priority.

* - Minus NHK's legally-required cut
Haven't the Japanese been doing most of their internet usage on phones for quite a few years now, by which I mean long before smartphones became all the rage over here. This of course would place much less stress on their land based broadband infrastructure compared to other nations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
To follow up, in August Shaw typically offers deals to students. You need a student ID and a confirmation of enrollment to get it. I'm getting full (non HD) digital cable and 100GB @ 15Mbit for $65 after taxes. You get the special pricing for 12 months, and have the option to pay up front for the entire year. Because I was a customer prior to returning to school I had the option to continue paying monthly.

Once I stop getting these deals I'll likely switch to Teksavvy just because Berger is awesome. I'll also dream of a day when you can get decent TV over the internet in Canada (never (when George finishes his next book)).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

For all the crap we've given Finckenstein, he was one of the judges responsible for upholding that uploading music to the internet isn't a violation of Canadian copyright law (according to Wikipedia):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_von_Finckenstein

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sashimi posted:

Haven't the Japanese been doing most of their internet usage on phones for quite a few years now, by which I mean long before smartphones became all the rage over here. This of course would place much less stress on their land based broadband infrastructure compared to other nations.

Yes, this is very true, to the point that any advertisement wanting to point you to a website will tell you what words to put in a search engine (although this is also partly due to the lack of japanese characters being allowed in a URL). It mostly has to do with the insane commutes Japanese people undertake (2-4 hours each way isn't that uncommon, that's why they have capsule hotels) as well as limited living space (and therefore being limited in how much "stuff" you can have), and so EVERYTHING is doable on your phone and has been for some time. Want to watch TV? Whip out your 1seg antenna and have at it, free, no bandwidth limitations. Radio? Same thing. Books/manga? They had eBooks and readers long before Amazon. Games? Ditto.

Having said that, a lot of this was easily doable BECAUSE the country is so compact. Stick an antenna anywhere that's inhabitable and you'll have tens of thousands of customers in range guaranteed, if not hundreds of thousands. The 1seg video feed piggy backs off cell phone towers in the same way SMS texts do here. Finally, given how tiny the country is and how only 20% of that land is inhabitable in the first place, you don't need that many antennas in the grand scheme of things to 100% cover the country.

Short of figuring something out with a high-orbit satellite (which would have TERRIBLE latency), it's pretty much impossible to 100% cover Canada; sticking an antenna in Alert, NWT isn't going to make you any money. Having said that, it's entirely viable to do something like this in at least one or two cities in each Province.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

For all the crap we've given Finckenstein, he was one of the judges responsible for upholding that uploading music to the internet isn't a violation of Canadian copyright law (according to Wikipedia):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_von_Finckenstein

He's also correct in pointing out that without the CRTC we would have no independent ISPs. Still I don't think hes very well informed, I was watching the news and he claimed that Netflix is putting a huge strain on the Internet but seemingly ignores all of the IPTV stuff that the incumbents are doing. I thought his comment about 25GB of data being fine for a family was sheer nonsense. My family barely knows anything about downloading except maybe iTunes and they need a 60GB package otherwise they go over.

I still want to hear him answer directly why we are paying $1+ per gigabyte for something that costs pennies to deliver and was subsidized by the taxpayers and government in some cases.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001
Competition minus competitive edge undermines the thing he says he wants to represent. In effect, Bell hoodwinked him into looking incompetent and ineffective, and he could have avoided it if he tried to understand the issues.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

The Gunslinger posted:

He's also correct in pointing out that without the CRTC we would have no independent ISPs. Still I don't think hes very well informed, I was watching the news and he claimed that Netflix is putting a huge strain on the Internet but seemingly ignores all of the IPTV stuff that the incumbents are doing. I thought his comment about 25GB of data being fine for a family was sheer nonsense. My family barely knows anything about downloading except maybe iTunes and they need a 60GB package otherwise they go over.

I still want to hear him answer directly why we are paying $1+ per gigabyte for something that costs pennies to deliver and was subsidized by the taxpayers and government in some cases.
I suspect it's simply because he hasn't seriously questioned what Bell et al are telling him, and is employing that intuitive-but-wrongheaded analogy between the Internet and water/electricity. It probably doesn't help that people keep saying "using up bandwidth" as if it were some sort of scarce resource. You don't use "up" bandwidth, but I can see the mistake.

(Oddly enough, it isn't even the gigahertz thing that made it clear he doesn't know what he's talking about. It was the "3D gaming" line. That shows that he really, really doesn't understand what uses bandwidth and what doesn't. He's just going on this notion that young nerds use up internets and old grammas don't.)

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 4, 2011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Whimsy posted:

Competition minus competitive edge undermines the thing he says he wants to represent. In effect, Bell hoodwinked him into looking incompetent and ineffective, and he could have avoided it if he tried to understand the issues.

Pick one.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

While I think he's plainly incompetent, the 3d gaming line can be plainly explained away by referring to the downloading of the game content (steam), rather than the actual playing of the game which takes relatively little bandwidth.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If anybody has the bandwidth to spare after streaming the questioning earlier, here's an interview with tony clement from tonight. http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/1244504890/ID=1779426903

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Tony Clement seems like the only one involved that even remotely understands the issue. Between this and the Globalive ruling, he's quickly becoming my favorite person in government.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I can't believe he's getting poo poo for tweeting decisions. How much more efficient can government get? New generations will not even bat an eye at this, but it's clear who's outdated when they act all offended by tweets.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dudebro posted:

I can't believe he's getting poo poo for tweeting decisions. How much more efficient can government get? New generations will not even bat an eye at this, but it's clear who's outdated when they act all offended by tweets.

How dare politicians communicate directly with the citizens, this is an outrage.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Dudebro posted:

There was some huge issue a while ago about people tweeting during meetings, I haven't watched this new interview but people here don't like that or something v:shobon:v

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Tweeting during meetings is one thing. Tweeting on your own time is another.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Powershift posted:

If anybody has the bandwidth to spare after streaming the questioning earlier, here's an interview with tony clement from tonight. http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/Politics/1244504890/ID=1779426903

GodDAMN I love this man.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

univbee posted:

GodDAMN I love this man.

Even touched on the future need for more bandwidth too. I enjoyed this interview immensely.

Whimsy
Jan 8, 2001

univbee posted:

GodDAMN I love this man.

I can't stand Tony Clement for his role in developing the Common Sense revolution in Ontario. I'm certain that any other MP from any other party would have done things exactly the same as he's done it.

But I can't help but feel like he's the only guy who would actually understand the issue as much as he does, which I appreciate.

Tony, you may be a huge bastard, but thanks for getting this one right.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The interviewer perpetuated the strange fallacy where they make it sound like the independent ISPs just use Bell or Rogers' infrastructure for free. Not with bandwidth, but for maintenance and support of it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Whimsy posted:

I can't stand Tony Clement for his role in developing the Common Sense revolution in Ontario. I'm certain that any other MP from any other party would have done things exactly the same as he's done it.

But I can't help but feel like he's the only guy who would actually understand the issue as much as he does, which I appreciate.
But this is exactly the kind of evidence that shows how ludicrous this implementation of UBB is: No matter what your political ideology, the vast majority of people who get informed about this issue end up being against it.

That's actually why I've been turned off of a lot of the "net neutrality" activism online always aligning itself with the left. All you're doing is alienating people who would otherwise also be supporters.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

kuddles posted:

That's actually why I've been turned off of a lot of the "net neutrality" activism online always aligning itself with the left. All you're doing is alienating people who would otherwise also be supporters.

Maybe, but there's a limit to the ability of your average market-fundamentalist (at least, the ones that aren't firmly tuned into the issue like anyone posting in this thread) to accept the need for regulation to address potential market failures (see: net neutrality debate in the States, forcing competition in natural monopolies like telecom, etc, etc). On the other hand, it's easy to find a leftist who thinks corporations need to be restrained.

A couple of articles yesterday (Weston at CBC, even the FP) made the point that half the reason the CRTC made the decision it did on UBB (among other things) was because Industry Canada told them in 2006 to rely on regulation less and market forces more to achieve the Telecom Act objectives.

And so on, and so forth. It's not that net activists have consciously decided to ally themselves with the left. It's that the things that net activists need done to meet their objectives, at least in these cases, are more popular on the ideological left than the ideological right.

But this isn't D&D, so I should stop right there.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 4, 2011

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Browsing through Facebook, I see that a ton of people I went to school with or whatever have joined anti-UBB groups. I know the vast majority of these people have a cheap Bell account. Overturning UBB has nothing at all to do with Bell's rates, it's just their applying their lovely rates onto 3rd party ISPs, right?

Obviously some of these people are waking up to there being other options out there, but I can't help but feel there are a ton of people who are as informed on the issue as the head of the CRTC, and are just being against UBB for the sake of being against it.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

So I guess I should wait until March to switch to TekSavvy cable?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Kreez posted:

Browsing through Facebook, I see that a ton of people I went to school with or whatever have joined anti-UBB groups. I know the vast majority of these people have a cheap Bell account. Overturning UBB has nothing at all to do with Bell's rates, it's just their applying their lovely rates onto 3rd party ISPs, right?

Correct - The UBB ruling was all about Bell enforcing their own usage rates and prices onto the 3rd party wholesalers.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

XYZ posted:

Switch now. Even if UBB were put in place that's 15% of your bill not going to Rogers.

Kreez posted:

Obviously some of these people are waking up to there being other options out there, but I can't help but feel there are a ton of people who are as informed on the issue as the head of the CRTC, and are just being against UBB for the sake of being against it.
I'm hoping that many people who weren't on independent ISPs already are either now fully aware of them and/or how much their Bell bill sucks. Bell probably won't be able to get away with their bullshit on many of their own customers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

XYZ posted:

Is there anything wrong with your current DSL service? I switched now when I didn't think there was much chance of UBB being overturned, and before I figured there would be a massive rush.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008
How slow is the 5M dsl line? I'm thinking of switching over from Videotron's 15M line. I'd rather have unlimited than a shitter 70GB cap.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jizzpowered posted:

How slow is the 5M dsl line? I'm thinking of switching over from Videotron's 15M line. I'd rather have unlimited than a shitter 70GB cap.

It's 1/3 the speed down, I dunno what the difference is in upload since you didn't specify.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My 'real-world performance' in downtown Toronto is that I download at 500 KB/sec and upload at 60.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

jizzpowered posted:

You will go from being able to watch an HD movie off Usenet on a whim (<1 hour) to needing 5+ hours to download it. Not sure how it affects streaming like Netflix.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

jizzpowered posted:

Well I'm with Teksavvy DSL in downtown Montreal and I'm able to get 600kb/s for Steam downloads at times. However it really depends on your location. It's not going to be as fast as Videotron, there's no way around that.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

I have a Bell 5Mbit/512k connection. Unlimited bandwidth, but with a horrendous bittorrent throttle of 30Kb/s after 4:30pm. I'm paying $60/month.

With TekSavvy Cable I can get 15Mbit/1Mbit with a 200GB cap for a little less than that. I just don't want to get that set up, only to have the cap slashed 75% in a few months time.

jizzpowered
Feb 14, 2008

Shofixti posted:

Well I'm with Teksavvy DSL in downtown Montreal and I'm able to get 600kb/s for Steam downloads at times. However it really depends on your location. It's not going to be as fast as Videotron, there's no way around that.

drat that sucks, I'm in Montreal too.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
Would is be possible for someone to give a proper rundown on all the terms that are getting thrown around during this whole issue? Like I keep hearing different comparisons of bandwith and caps and usage and congestion used in different ways that really stands out when you start seeing news articles and people for/against it that don't really seem to understand it or use it in conflicting arguments.

For one, the comparisons to utilities keep coming up which makes bandwidth seem like a resource ala electricty or water. Except water can actually be consumed/recycled by plants etc, running your taps excessively uses more water etc. Likewise, electricity is actually produced from somewhere and is consumed to power devices. In these cases, charging for the amount you use makes sense, they are in effect, limited by factors such as being a natural somewhat finite resource like water, or generating capability such as electricity.

As I understand it, bandwidth is simply the total "flow" of data available and has nothing to do with the actual amount of data transferred or "used" so much as the amount of data that can be transmitted at the same time. This seems glaringly out of place therefore when we have statistics coming up like 20% of users consuming 80% of the bandwidth as an argument to support UBB and enforcing caps when no matter how much the "greedy or excessive" users might be downloading, they can still only obtain the max speeds determined by their connections and would use no more bandwidth then someone downloading a lesser amount at the same speeds. It is the concurrent downloading at those speeds that would cause the congestion and lowering of bandwidth is it not? How then, do statistics like that above get released and not immediately torn apart?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

asmallrabbit posted:

It is the concurrent downloading at those speeds that would cause the congestion and lowering of bandwidth is it not? How then, do statistics like that above get released and not immediately torn apart?

Because most people don't know any better (at least most people in places where it matters).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

XYZ posted:

I have a Bell 5Mbit/512k connection. Unlimited bandwidth, but with a horrendous bittorrent throttle of 30Kb/s after 4:30pm. I'm paying $60/month.
Bell's DPI hardware is laughable and can't even handle an empty MLPPP header. If you rent the cheapest unlimited-traffic VPN you can find you can probably bypass that throttle, or failing that get an SSTP VPN or OpenVPN to the US for Hulu / Pandora / etc.