Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Shiva Asori posted:

Short for HeaD, yah that was me getting lucky with a AC/20.

Sorry for that being your first combat turn, trast.

No harm, no foul. It was god damned hilarious.

KnoxZone posted:

If it makes you feel any better, in the previous game my legless near-death Awesome that had been doing nothing for 10 turns got a through-armor crit on Shiva's nearly fully armored assault mech to detonate his SRM ammo and blow him up giving me a miracle win.

Yes I know. I was spectating and laughed my rear end off. I even joked that they would forget about you leading to win via survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
In addition to self-appointed Thread Intelligence Officer, I am appointing myself Cardinal of the Church of Death From Above.

Ignore the dice. It's always worth it.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

I know its super dooper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Mukaikubo posted:

In addition to self-appointed Thread Intelligence Officer, I am appointing myself Cardinal of the Church of Death From Above.

Your church sucks.

First you stomp on my mech, pushing me into a hospital for kittens with cancer where they also finally discovered the cure for cancer, then your team gangraped my Warhammer, then they blasted me with pulse lasers. Kind god my rear end.

elitebuster fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 4, 2011

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Man, kind of a tough situation. I'm going to say that the rifleman should hang back to take out the SRM tank, but the rest need to get in knifing range. Were I PTN, I'd have the PPC-wielding mechs spread out so they can cover each other and the downrange area, while using the Blackjack and tanks/infantry to run what interference they can. It's possible with some lucky shots that they could drop your close range mechs in a couple of turns and mop up the rest at leisure.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Mukaikubo posted:

As your first mandate you should require that the Wolverine always try to perform DFAs.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Longinus00 posted:

As your first mandate you should require that the Wolverine always try to perform DFAs.

Punching people IS what the Navajo Wolf does best. There's a reason he piloted a Nightsky.

Magni posted:

You should really ask PTN to specify the chances for the sniper to try and immobilise vehicles. An immobile target gives you a -4 bonus on any to hit roll against it.

They get an automatic roll (with a -1 penalty to the dice) on the motive system damage table, but do no actual armor damage.

Also, still waiting on contact information for Bobbin Threadbare, which is fine since I have another back to back (come home, sleep six hours, go straight back to work) shift so I won't be able to do an update tonite (sorry). I need that contact info, or the next guy on the list will get the spot.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 4, 2011

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

KnoxZone posted:

If it makes you feel any better, in the previous game my legless near-death Awesome that had been doing nothing for 10 turns got a through-armor crit on Shiva's nearly fully armored assault mech to detonate his SRM ammo and blow him up giving me a miracle win.

drat, I should have shot you again after I kicked you off the cliff.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

They called him crazy. Skinwalker. More wolf than man. It hardly made him the center of attention at the canteen, but that suited Bobby just fine. Sensing more than seeing the enemy draw near, Navajo Wolf decided to activate his secret weapon.

"Music. Select Playlist. War Mix. Play."

A grin most observers would deem "lupine" creeped over his face.

Music for the round: The Cage

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, still waiting on contact information for Bobbin Threadbare, which is fine since I have another back to back (come home, sleep six hours, go straight back to work) shift so I won't be able to do an update tonite (sorry). I need that contact info, or the next guy on the list will get the spot.
Just sent you an email. I work full time, so you can't expect to hear from me for fairly big segments of the day.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Ah, you had mine. That would explain why I don't have yours, my apologies!

Sair
May 11, 2007

Polaron posted:

Oh, thanks guys. That makes me feel so much better about my Hunchback.

No, no, no! That's what you get to do! Just don't let anyone shoot you in the back...

And man, that Wolverine variant is one of my favorite mechs. It's tough, its fast, and it packs a decent punch.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Oh good, Bobbin has arrived.

So, I'm thinking you and I need to link up on the right hand side of the map and push upwards, where we can hopefully take out those two separated from the herd while we get supporting fire from the longer-ranged Mechs. We can basically force any enemies we commit to a close-range duel to have to turn their backs on one of us or turn around to fight us and expose their rear armor to the rest of our team.

Thoughts?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Polaron posted:

Oh good, Bobbin has arrived.

So, I'm thinking you and I need to link up on the right hand side of the map and push upwards, where we can hopefully take out those two separated from the herd while we get supporting fire from the longer-ranged Mechs. We can basically force any enemies we commit to a close-range duel to have to turn their backs on one of us or turn around to fight us and expose their rear armor to the rest of our team.

Thoughts?

Looking at our speeds, it seems like I'll be the one doing the flanking, which, given my armor, seems fine by me. I'm sent in my orders, and I like to think I'm doing my best to piss off the enemy.

vvvvvvv Bait? I think their plan just wound up scuttled when Wolf & Pals decided to let the LRMs do the negotiating.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 4, 2011

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So I'm unclear about the Death Commandos' motives in taking hostages. If their only goal is to kill them... why take hostages?

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
Well their goal might not actually be to kill them, but the lance of mechs bearing down on them has them executing hostages as a warning. Too bad the Cabarellos seem concerned over the deaths of hostages, but not enough to actually consider not attacking the Death Commando's position.

Or maybe they're intending something sneaky and the hostages are just a diversion.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I had just assumed (given that they are the Death Commandos) that the hostages are bait for something nefarious. Also a plot hook so PTN can set a time limit.

[EDIT] The general reason anyone takes hostages is to either a) force negotiation, or b) force confrontation. The Death Commandos generally don't negotiate, so that leaves the role of bait. Or they just hate (mexican) children.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 4, 2011

Frankomatic
Aug 22, 2007

I've got to get a picture of this!
After playing around with Megamek on my own a little bit, all I have to say is holy crap, you guys weren't kidding about Machine Gun ammo explosions being ridiculous. ...Not to mention cascading ammo explosions.

*** Machine Gun Ammo EXPLODES! 376 DAMAGE! ***   

Luckily, that was to the bot. ;) Came after some LRM ammo exploded, which caused some SRM ammo to explode, which caused the MG ammo to explode. There was basically nothing left, I assume.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I the only one who has a hard time reading purple on green hexes?

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Slaapaav posted:

Am I the only one who has a hard time reading purple on green hexes?

Have you ever had yourself checked for red-green color blindness?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

You think that's a miracle win? We were playing around with the aerotech rules, and shadowdragon managed to turn a 4v2 into a win. He scratched both my plane's armor and the distraught pilots crashed out of grief.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Felime posted:

You think that's a miracle win? We were playing around with the aerotech rules, and shadowdragon managed to turn a 4v2 into a win. He scratched both my plane's armor and the distraught pilots crashed out of grief.

This is why you probably shouldn't dogfight at low altitudes unless your piloting skills are significantly better than those of the enemy.

You guys should play around with the battlespace rules, Megamek now handles warships reasonably well (I don't know if they implemented capital AMS though) and huge fleet engagements that could only have happened in the Star League era are always great fun.

(the best miracle win is when you have a warship go out of control and careen off the board)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So what other clans are still around? Widowmaker replaced Wolf. Are there any other major differences?

Where are my beautiful Smoke Jaguars?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Rivensteel posted:

Have you ever had yourself checked for red-green color blindness?

Just to support Slaapaav - I have, and my colour vision is perfect. Purple on green just is hard on the eyes.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

They get an automatic roll (with a -1 penalty to the dice) on the motive system damage table, but do no actual armor damage.

Okay, that's kinda useful. For reference, motive system damage is rolled as 2D6.

2-5 = no effect
6-7 = minor damage; +1 modifier to all driving skill rolls
8-9 = moderate damage; -1 cruising MP and +2 modifier on driving skill rolls
10-11 = heavy damage; - half of the original cruising MP (fractions rounded down); +3 on driving skill rolls
12+ = vehicle immobilised

The sniper gets a -1 penalty to the roll. Hitting a vehicle in the sides gives a +2 bonus, in the back a +1 bonus. Rolls against the wheeled APC gain another +2 bonus.

Given that I can't see the sniper killing off those 30-man platoons guarding the hostages, he's probably better off either spotting for LRMs or trying to gently caress up some vehicles. Prime targets for that should imo be either the APC due to being extra susceptible or the Zhukov. If you manage to immobilise a vehicle, it becomes a sitting duck you can blow to pieces pretty darn fast. (+4 bonus on your to-hit rolls if the target is immobile!)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

MJ12 posted:

(the best miracle win is when you have a warship go out of control and careen off the board)

This is true with mechs too, especially when it happens from a skid roll from running and turning on concrete

call that one hitting 88mph

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Don't remind me, that was "mud city" last night, slipping and falling in the road, and the elevation was insane it went from 4 to 6 to zero constantly.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's quiet on the thread. Almost too quiet. What are the Death Commandos planning?

Pure Kamikaze
Aug 4, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhk

This is what is happening right as we speak... except with mechs and not clint eastwood.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Axe-man posted:

Don't remind me, that was "mud city" last night, slipping and falling in the road, and the elevation was insane it went from 4 to 6 to zero constantly.

The mud was just the icing on the cake.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Trast posted:

The mud was just the icing on the cake.

I don't think it was a cake. More like a pie.
A cow pie.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Pure Kamikaze posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awskKWzjlhk

This is what is happening right as we speak... except with mechs and not clint eastwood.

"There's two kinds of people in this world: those with mechs, and supporting characters."

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

David Corbett posted:

Just to support Slaapaav - I have, and my colour vision is perfect. Purple on green just is hard on the eyes.

Yeah the army said my color vision was normal.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Pure Kamikaze posted:

Exactly like that, complete with shooting him while he's down, 'cause he twitched funny.

Felime fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 4, 2011

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Axe-man posted:

I loved that one particular road that just didn't give a gently caress. Like the one spot it dropped from level 4 down to 0, then went back up to level 3 the next hex. And the road just kept going without a single care.

elitebuster
Dec 26, 2010

Tempest_56 posted:

I loved that one particular road that just didn't give a gently caress. Like the one spot it dropped from level 4 down to 0, then went back up to level 3 the next hex. And the road just kept going without a single care.

What I think happened was that there was a big sinkhole in the road, and the paving crew just poured the concrete in and said "gently caress it".

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tempest_56 posted:

CPLT-C1 Catapult

One of the two classic fire support designs (the other being the Archer), the Catapult pairs long ranged firepower with jumping mobility. She's a great machine, detracted only by the low ammo count. After 8 salvos, those LRMs are dry so they gotta count!

I love the hell out of the Catapult. But it is not a fire support machine. Eight salvos is not enough to allow it to stay at range and bombard.

So what is a Catapult for? The answer lies in it's movement profile and secondary armament. At 4/6/4, it can outmaneuver other heavies and slower mediums, while being able to keep 5/8/5 machines from doing the same to it, barring terrible initiative rolls. This makes the Catapult suited for aggressive tactics, something it's weapons suite supports.

LRMs have a minimum range of 6 and a short range of 1-7. This makes 'magic sevens' the place for an LRM boat to want to be, if possible.
Medium lasers have a range profile of 1-3/4-6/7-9. Thus, a good Catapult driver will actually aim for range 6, giving his LRMs a base to-hit of five, lasers hitting on sixes.

The Catapult is thus an excellent brawler, despite it's lack of arms for punching, and makes a superb machine to use for dogging heavier mechs. (Especially 3/5 assaults.) This is especially apparent in the CCAF, where the Catapult is most common - pair it up with Vindicators and watch the enemy fall. (PPCs to tear holes in armor, plus piles of 5 damage hits to critseek.)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Kenlon posted:

I love the hell out of the Catapult. But it is not a fire support machine. Eight salvos is not enough to allow it to stay at range and bombard.

So what is a Catapult for? The answer lies in it's movement profile and secondary armament. At 4/6/4, it can outmaneuver other heavies and slower mediums, while being able to keep 5/8/5 machines from doing the same to it, barring terrible initiative rolls. This makes the Catapult suited for aggressive tactics, something it's weapons suite supports.

LRMs have a minimum range of 6 and a short range of 1-7. This makes 'magic sevens' the place for an LRM boat to want to be, if possible.
Medium lasers have a range profile of 1-3/4-6/7-9. Thus, a good Catapult driver will actually aim for range 6, giving his LRMs a base to-hit of five, lasers hitting on sixes.

The Catapult is thus an excellent brawler, despite it's lack of arms for punching, and makes a superb machine to use for dogging heavier mechs. (Especially 3/5 assaults.) This is especially apparent in the CCAF, where the Catapult is most common - pair it up with Vindicators and watch the enemy fall. (PPCs to tear holes in armor, plus piles of 5 damage hits to critseek.)

Catapult was made (IMO) to charge the enemy, missiles blazing, lasers lazing, and just when they are preparing for you to be empty, DFA.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it makes a great buddy for a Vindicator. Identical movement profile, the Vindicators open up gaps in the enemy's armor with PPCs, then you move in your Catapults and exploit them.

It's a mostly Capellan Mech. I mean, I would use an Archer in place of it, but that's because I am the Lyran Commonwealth (you read that correctly). An Archer is a better sustained fire platform, but a Catapult is best pals with the spine of the CC mech forces, so if you're a Cappie it's a better fit for you.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
3 Archers behind a ridgeline with a Commando spotting :c00lbert:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

WarLocke posted:

3 Archers behind a ridgeline with a Commando spotting :c00lbert:

Two Archers, a Zeus and a Griffin. Best Steiner fire lance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Just you wait until Spectres become available.

NEXT LEVEL LIGHT MECH MANEUVER

• Locked thread