Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

movax posted:

:confused: The only reason I could see for returning now is if you absolutely need those SATA ports provided by the chipset. Otherwise, it's perfectly reasonable to just wait for the RMA campaign to begin.

It has an estimated 15% failure rate for heavy usage for 3 years, it shouldn't be a problem to use the ports for 2 months, worst case they die early and you only have 2 left, which is where you are starting if you dont use em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

fleshweasel posted:

Honestly, this is kind of a lesson to buy all your parts at the same time. Even though you can wait a few weeks on different stuff and hop on the various sales that come up, it's a riskier way to go. Sandy Bridge guys, return your hardware and if you need need need a new system now then get the i5-750 and resell if you want when the new boards come out. Intel processors retain a lot of value because they don't put discounts on their old platforms. You'll get most of your money back reselling the old cpu and board. For gaming you will probably not even see a difference between the new and old platforms.

So let me get this straight: I have a gtx 570, 8gb ram and an SSD. I want my games at max settings at 1920x1080 and if they don't look good enough like that I'm gonna loving force antialiasing until they do. I want games to melt my face. I want to be forced to wear a mask to prevent melting. What kind of difference I'll notice between an i5 760 and a 2500k while playing now and in the foreseeable future? Is it going to bottleneck the rest of the system a bit? Because in all the benchmarks I've read the i5 gets his rear end handed to him, but then again we're talking about crappy resolutions where cpu performance is more significant than gpu's.

Also as ridiculous as it may sound considering what I decided to spend on my setup, I don't want to lose money by buying and reselling an i5 to get a SB. Either I can get a reasonable deal now or I just won't play poo poo for fear of my old pc exploding and buy everything in April. Keep in mind all my components are ready but nothing is paid for yet.

Paino fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 4, 2011

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
That card is so overpowered for 1920x1080 that there are maybe only three games you will ever have any framerate issues with, and they are games which are either poorly programmed or specifically CPU bound or both (like Dwarf Fortress :v:). You are REALLY, REALLY into having a boutique experience right now, but the difference between $800 of computer and $3,000 at 1920x1080 with no 3D isn't boutique, it's marginal and possibly not even noticeable at all.

By the time the difference between a 760 and a 2500K makes it into games, you're going to be around the time you want to build a new machine that shames either anyway. Sandy Bridge is really sweet and all, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a good experience without it. I mean, it's just a month old. Every game released up until January 9, 2011 has been intended for a world where it doesn't exist, and every game released a month or a year down the line will remember that there are lots of people who bought their computers before January 9, 2011 who would like to play, too. You're treating this too much like a new console generation in the early 2000's.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't think of any game that would get less than 60fps due to an i5-750 besides maybe the generational outlier that doesn't perform well maxed out on anything currently available (metro2033.) i5-750 doesnt get its rear end handed to it. 2 months ago it was like 98% as good for gaming as the most expensive desktop processors available.

also, yeah dude if you're gonna spend so much money why not give 3d a shot too? it probably rules

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

fleshweasel posted:

also, yeah dude if you're gonna spend so much money why not give 3d a shot too? it probably rules

Sometime during 2011 I probably will.

One last thing, which mobo should I get with an i5 760? I don't need anything fancy feature wise, the only premium I'd be willing to pay is if it had a better onboard audio.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
What's the "safe" heat limit under full load when overclocking an i2600k on the P8P67 Deluxe?

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
Got my Asus Sandy Bridge mobo and i7 2600K on the way yesterday. :catdrugs:

I emailed every last (reputable) vendor on the web until I found one that had sent all but two back. I got one and so did someone else. So I can't be of any help, but this is just a 'look at me gloat' post really.

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.

glitch77 posted:

Got my Asus Sandy Bridge mobo and i7 2600K on the way yesterday. :catdrugs:

I emailed every last (reputable) vendor on the web until I found one that had sent all but two back. I got one and so did someone else. So I can't be of any help, but this is just a 'look at me gloat' post really.

I have one of the way. If I just have one hard drive will this even impact my system? I doubt I will ever even use more than 2 ports, so I don't really think I'm going to worry about canceling my order (though I will take the new mobo they send).

glitch77
Apr 22, 2006
It will only affect you if you use the 3gb/s ports and not the 6gb/s ports. Every if you do its a 15% chance over 3 years anyhow. :/

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm still running a YFD with a mid-range nVidia card, but have a NHM, LFD, and WSM6C all acting as paper weights on my book shelf.
I'll bite...are you trying to impress people by inventing acronyms for Intel CPU codenames?

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 5, 2011

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.

glitch77 posted:

It will only affect you if you use the 3gb/s ports and not the 6gb/s ports. Every if you do its a 15% chance over 3 years anyhow. :/

So the average user doesn't even use those ports? I'm slightly confused because I don't know much about hardware. Basically if you have a computer with just one hard drive and one optical drive, you never even plug into those additional 3 gb/s ports?

Helldesk
Jan 6, 2007

Miasma posted:

Basically if you have a computer with just one hard drive and one optical drive, you never even plug into those additional 3 gb/s ports?

"Never" is such a strong word. It would be stupid though to plug a fast SSD into a 3 Gbps port when you have a 6 Gbps port next to it, but my guess is that if you have four ports available, they each have 1/4 chance of getting used. Even those who should read instruction aren't guaranteed to read and understand them.

Bottom line: if you don't use the 3 Gbps ports, they can't break, and even if they do, the 6 Gbps ports will keep on working. With only two devices there are no worries. With more it depends on if the motherboard provides more SATA ports with another controller - those will work too. You only need to avoid the Intel-provided 3 Gbps SATA ports.

Miasma
Jul 26, 2005

straight up dawg.

Helldesk posted:

"Never" is such a strong word. It would be stupid though to plug a fast SSD into a 3 Gbps port when you have a 6 Gbps port next to it, but my guess is that if you have four ports available, they each have 1/4 chance of getting used. Even those who should read instruction aren't guaranteed to read and understand them.

Bottom line: if you don't use the 3 Gbps ports, they can't break, and even if they do, the 6 Gbps ports will keep on working. With only two devices there are no worries. With more it depends on if the motherboard provides more SATA ports with another controller - those will work too. You only need to avoid the Intel-provided 3 Gbps SATA ports.

Thank you for clearing that up. The reason I said never was because I am type of user that will only open the case to dust it out. The way it comes to me from the factory is the way it'll stay (embarrassing, but true).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

I'll bite...are you trying to impress people by inventing acronyms for Intel CPU codenames?

Apparently you don't read the thread.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Apparently you don't read the thread.

So that's a yes, you do feel the need to invent pointless acronyms, seeing as those collections of letters appear nowhere else in the thread outside your post.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mr Chips posted:

So that's a yes, you do feel the need to invent pointless acronyms, seeing as those collections of letters appear nowhere else in the thread outside your post.

I didn't say they appeared in the thread. Try hitting the ? by my name. If you can't figure it out, then sorry :)

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 5, 2011

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
edit: never mind.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 5, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Are prices on SB and the motherboards going to drop at all this Spring? Because by then my E8400/P35 platform will be 3 years old and I want to move on to quad-core at that point.

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin
Honestly on the processor front, I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.5 and I haven't run into a game that my processor can't handle. GTAIV is still one of the most taxing games for a processor and I max it out @ 1080p. We're talking years out until you'd ever notice a difference between a sandy bridge and i5 750, if ever.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

spasticColon posted:

Are prices on SB and the motherboards going to drop at all this Spring? Because by then my E8400/P35 platform will be 3 years old and I want to move on to quad-core at that point.

Motherboard prices are supposed to rise 5% to 15% in the near future. Copper has gone up 30%. I'd expect Sandy Bridge prices to fall depending on how well Bulldozer does.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Antigen v2.0 posted:

Honestly on the processor front, I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.5 and I haven't run into a game that my processor can't handle. GTAIV is still one of the most taxing games for a processor and I max it out @ 1080p. We're talking years out until you'd ever notice a difference between a sandy bridge and i5 750, if ever.

I started running into games chopping on my E6600, two cores just wasn't cutting it. I'm sure if I had had a quad-core, I would have held off for Ivy Bridge or longer. I don't like shutting off apps before I game, so having many cores and threads is wondrous.

Also can someone put 'yes you can use 2 ports just fine' in the thread title? Or, edit OP: Alereon I saw you put a snippet of the Intel press release (thanks for the shout-outs too by the way :)), do you want to add something like, "Use the 2 SATA6 ports + whatever extra controllers your mobo has is OK, RMA's are forthcoming" to the OP? Same question has been asked for the past 3 pages :spergin:

Rexz
Oct 17, 2004

movax posted:

That said, I would replace it when the time comes, just to improve resale/utility value in the future, but that's just me. Maybe you'll want to use the board to run a fileserver and you'll need the spare SATA ports, who knows?

The idea that in a few years we'll be running our file servers off spare Sandy Bridge stuff is fantastical - and completely true! I'm sure today's thrown together server is dozens (hundreds?) of times faster than your first PC.

Balzac Jones
Dec 26, 2008

Rexz posted:

I'm sure today's thrown together server is dozens (hundreds?) of times faster than your first PC.

A $300 single-core Atom netbook would easily out-perform my first 6 computers combined (3 Commodores, 3 PCs). A frankenserver built from an older Core2Duo, 2GB of memory, and a 3GB/s SATA drive would be worshiped as a deity by my first PC, a 386 with 16MB of memory, 1MB of video memory, and a 150MB IDE drive.

Ah, the days when I dreamed of being able to afford a VESA local-bus system...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rexz posted:

The idea that in a few years we'll be running our file servers off spare Sandy Bridge stuff is fantastical - and completely true! I'm sure today's thrown together server is dozens (hundreds?) of times faster than your first PC.

Sorry, I'm a bit hungover, so I can't really tell if there's any sarcasm intended, but the parts my Sandy Bridge build replaced did filter down to be "just" my fileserver (C2D w/ 8GB RAM). I'm sure another four years from now, my Sandy Bridge parts will find their way to the server.

I'll defend it by saying my fileserver runs VMs and stuff too :downs:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Rexz posted:

It's amazing how fast PCs are today. I built a Lynnfield Intel PC and I'm amazed how fast it is. I was going to regret about not making a Sandy Bridge rig, but then I realized I don't play games on my PC (yet) and it wouldn't be that worthwhile to do it.

It's amazing.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

movax posted:

Sorry, I'm a bit hungover, so I can't really tell if there's any sarcasm intended, but the parts my Sandy Bridge build replaced did filter down to be "just" my fileserver (C2D w/ 8GB RAM). I'm sure another four years from now, my Sandy Bridge parts will find their way to the server.

I'll defend it by saying my fileserver runs VMs and stuff too :downs:
Mine doesn't (gave away 4 of the 8GB ram I had though), but it is so much cooler, faster and quieter than the Athlon 2800+ that was previously in that thing, that fact alone makes it worth it. I'm sure in 3-4 years time SB will move to the server as well.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Marinmo posted:

Mine doesn't (gave away 4 of the 8GB ram I had though), but it is so much cooler, faster and quieter than the Athlon 2800+ that was previously in that thing, that fact alone makes it worth it. I'm sure in 3-4 years time SB will move to the server as well.

It's kind of like folks running ipcop or pfsense on P2 boxes. Atoms are so much more power efficient, and hell, even the low-power Athlons are Pentium are hundreds of times overkill, but they are cooler, quieter and draw waaay less power.

Sure, it was pricey-ish to get a mini-ITX Atom board to replace my P2 router, but I'll take 10W of power draw any day.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
I've asked about this in the laptop thread, but maybe it's more appropriate here. Short version is that I'm looking at getting a macbook (though I'm not committed, all my current PCs are windows), but I really have a deadline - I'm moving soon (end of Feb) and won't have access to my desktop for about a month, so I think I want to get a laptop before then. Would it be a mistake to get a previous generation laptop? Should I really wait for Sandy Bridge macbooks, or just get a SB windows laptop? I'll probably primarily want to use it for surfing the web / email, WoW, and coding.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Fitret posted:

I've asked about this in the laptop thread, but maybe it's more appropriate here. Short version is that I'm looking at getting a macbook (though I'm not committed, all my current PCs are windows), but I really have a deadline - I'm moving soon (end of Feb) and won't have access to my desktop for about a month, so I think I want to get a laptop before then. Would it be a mistake to get a previous generation laptop? Should I really wait for Sandy Bridge macbooks, or just get a SB windows laptop? I'll probably primarily want to use it for surfing the web / email, WoW, and coding.
The performance and battery life advantage for Sandy Bridge is extreme. I'd definitely consider it a requirement if I was buying a new laptop, and could find one that was unaffected by the SATA issue.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fitret posted:

For a 13" Macbook, you should definitely definitely wait if at all possible (since they are still Core 2 Duo). For the 15"/17", you'll end up with "last-gen", but not quite as old as the Core 2 Duo. Still, Sandy Bridge is quite the boost...

So, tl; dr - do not buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro 13", getting a MBP 15" or 17" with a Core ix won't be terrible, but it will be last generation.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
My i5-2500k with no overclocking and stock cooling seems to vary between 40 degrees C during normal use and up to 70 degrees C when playing games.
Should I be worried? My case has pretty bad airflow, but even sticking a desk fan right up against the mesh of the case at the processor doesn't really cool it off much (maybe 2 or 3 degrees).
I've done some googling, but I'm getting conflicting information. Apparently 70 degrees isn't "overheating" (80 degrees would be worrisome), but people are also reporting significantly lower "idle" temperatures.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

zachol posted:

My i5-2500k with no overclocking and stock cooling seems to vary between 40 degrees C during normal use and up to 70 degrees C when playing games.
Should I be worried? My case has pretty bad airflow, but even sticking a desk fan right up against the mesh of the case at the processor doesn't really cool it off much (maybe 2 or 3 degrees).
I've done some googling, but I'm getting conflicting information. Apparently 70 degrees isn't "overheating" (80 degrees would be worrisome), but people are also reporting significantly lower "idle" temperatures.

Whats the ambient air temp? What case? Have you ever installed a cooler like the stock cooler before?

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!

movax posted:

For a 13" Macbook, you should definitely definitely wait if at all possible (since they are still Core 2 Duo). For the 15"/17", you'll end up with "last-gen", but not quite as old as the Core 2 Duo. Still, Sandy Bridge is quite the boost...

So, tl; dr - do not buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro 13", getting a MBP 15" or 17" with a Core ix won't be terrible, but it will be last generation.

I'd get the 15", so it wouldn't be the worst, I suppose. Thanks for the above link, though this kind of reinforces that I should probably wait :(

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Not sure how to get ambient temp. "CPUID Hardware Monitor" gives some really weird readings for my motherboard temperatures. "Systin" seems to be holding steady at 35 degrees. "Cputin" and "auxtin" both constantly switch from 0 to 64. Apparently my CPU fan is going at 200 RPM.
My case is a Sugo SG02 which has really quite bad airflow. There's three holes for case fans, but one just blows across the hard drives and then out the other half of the case (not near the motherboard) and the other two are right over the graphics card, which along with the PSU blocks any of that air from going to the CPU. There's no real inflow for the motherboard/CPU, and the PSU serves as an exhaust.
This was the first time I'd installed a cooler like this. It seemed like I did it correctly - nothing wobbles, and it's very tight.

I was assuming I'd put some aftermarket cooler in sometime "whenever," after figuring out exactly what the size limitations were. I'm mainly wondering how urgent this is.

zachol fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 7, 2011

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

zachol posted:

Not sure how to get ambient temp.
Ambient temp means the temp in the room. A 30 C room will force your CPU to run much hotter than a 20 C room.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ah, for some reason I thought he meant the ambient temp inside the case.
Probably somewhere around 20 C, under 70 F.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
What is the general consensus on load line calibration when overclocking Sandy Bridge? I've heard in a few places that it causes very short voltage spikes on the higher settings and the highest setting can increase the voltage under load. I've got my 2500k stable at 1.35V and medium (Level 3 in the ASRock BIOS) load line calibration. Would it be worth increasing the LLC to drop the Vcore a bit? Do any of the other voltages really matter for a ~4.5 Ghz overclock?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

zachol posted:

Ah, for some reason I thought he meant the ambient temp inside the case.
Probably somewhere around 20 C, under 70 F.

40 idle with stock for a 2500 seems to be a bit warm (especially with a rather cool ambient like that), but nothing dangerous. For reference, my OC'd 2600K idles at 33C in a room that I'd say is about 26-27C ambient. However, that's with a retard huge aftermarket cooler (Ultra 120), and a really well ventilated case.

Hard to say without seeing a pic of your case/airflow setup. A fan "short-circuiting" air up or down through an exhaust fan can easily ruin the nice wind tunnel effect of channeling air in through the front and out the back.

FunkyUnderpants
Jan 20, 2007
These ain't no dependsŪ
Quick question: does anyone know if the Z68 chipset is going to be able to support dual pci express x16 slots instead of crippling them both to x8? I recall that nVidia chipsets a few revisions back could do this on their premium boards, but I've also heard that some suit between nVidia and Intel prevent nVidia from doing the same for us this time around.

Sucks. I really wanted good SLI performance from my two GTX 460 cards.

If not the Z68, does anyone know if there's ever going to be any chipset that can support that? I was under the impression, though, that Intel and nVidia were the only actual players in the not-just-southbridges industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

FunkyUnderpants posted:

Quick question: does anyone know if the Z68 chipset is going to be able to support dual pci express x16 slots instead of crippling them both to x8? I recall that nVidia chipsets a few revisions back could do this on their premium boards, but I've also heard that some suit between nVidia and Intel prevent nVidia from doing the same for us this time around.

Sucks. I really wanted good SLI performance from my two GTX 460 cards.

If not the Z68, does anyone know if there's ever going to be any chipset that can support that? I was under the impression, though, that Intel and nVidia were the only actual players in the not-just-southbridges industry.

I don't think it is possible since the PCIe controller is integrated with the processor and has a limited number of lanes. There's very little real-world difference in performance between x8 and x16, especially since Sandy Bridge is PCIe 2.0 and x8 2.0 is as fast as x16 1.0. There's really no need for x16/x16. Benchmark