Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

TwoPair posted:

Question: when and where can this pony show that is apparently pretty good be found? I haven't seen any advertising anywhere.

The Hub (the Discovery/Hasbro network).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...
You can also watch the show on the Hub's website.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo. The best possible reminder of how sophisticated The Powerpuff Girls could be for a show aimed at kids is the episode "Moral Decay", which I just watched.

Seriously, I don't want to give it away if you don't remember, but track it down if you've got fifteen minutes to kill.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TwoPair posted:

Question: when and where can this pony show that is apparently pretty good be found? I haven't seen any advertising anywhere.

It's all up on youtube, except the one airing today I guess.

In non-pony related news, there appears to be either a new or a recut(I think recut) episode of Phineas and Ferb on saturday.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
It's a new episode- it's a musical remake of the pilot episode to make up for the fact it had no songs. It was actually supposed to air on Friday, but the big SpongeBob event tonight made them think twice. The episode has already aired on demand and thus has shown up online. Not the best episode, but it has its moments. Not surprisingly, Doofenshmirtz is responsible for a lot of them. Curse you, deja vu!

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

Holy poo poo. The best possible reminder of how sophisticated The Powerpuff Girls could be for a show aimed at kids is the episode "Moral Decay", which I just watched.

Seriously, I don't want to give it away if you don't remember, but track it down if you've got fifteen minutes to kill.

Is that the one where Buttercup keeps knocking out people's teeth? It's a good one, but I can't remember anything about it I'd consider sophisticated.

H-Tail
Dec 18, 2005

"I'm not a crybaby"
I came to this thread for the first time ever to specifically make people remember Fillmore! Very clever, an excellent parody of hard-boiled cop dramas set in a school and pretty funny too, in my mind it's an outrage it was cancelled after only 24 episodes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

H-Tail posted:

That art style looks like some kind of webcomic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Behonkiss posted:

Is that the one where Buttercup keeps knocking out people's teeth? It's a good one, but I can't remember anything about it I'd consider sophisticated.

You know what, I missed the title card and my TV guide had them in the wrong order. It was "Meet the Beat Alls."

"Sophisticated" may have also been the wrong word; I'm fighting through a cold and it's loving with my vocabulary.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 28, 2011

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Everyone should watch Dan vs. It's pretty funny.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

You know what, I missed the title card and my TV guide had them in the wrong order. It was "Meet the Beat Alls."

I love that episode! Of course I really like the Beatles, anyone who doesn't is going to feel the episode is massively flat.

Maybe you were looking for the word "clever"?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

H-Tail posted:

I came to this thread for the first time ever to specifically make people remember Fillmore! Very clever, an excellent parody of hard-boiled cop dramas set in a school and pretty funny too, in my mind it's an outrage it was cancelled after only 24 episodes.

That middle school had an amazingly high budget, and I don't think I ever saw the main cast go to class. But that's fine cos it made more time for investigations and dramatic car bicycle chases.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Everyone should watch Dan vs. It's pretty funny.

Curtis Armstrong and Dave Foley piqued my interest, the SA recommendation seals it. Will watch tomorrow's "Dan vs. Canada."

I only hope they can work one of the other Kids in the Hall in there...

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Seeing Mojo press the buttons in that Devo video, made me go look up this old Dexter bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0wfawLYjjQ

:3:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

And yes, that is Paul Williams.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

mobo85 posted:

And yes, that is Paul Williams.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Powerpuff Girls had so much great stuff going for it. I loved that the creators were able to get a bunch of different bands they liked to make songs about the show, Cartoon Network had the greatest commercial bumps back then :allears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfQIwIy7_bU

Call? Yes, CALL! I could call someone on the telephone! And it would ring at their house, and then they would pick it up, and then...

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Then there was Dexter's Hip Hop Experiment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g4tS_etVq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmyh4zQNUuc

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 23, 2014

Aquans
Jun 13, 2010

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUzsT_WhlAA

How the gently caress is this real.

I actually want to check that out because it reminds me of Cow & Chicken.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is like Captain Planet but after a weekend of heavy drug abuse.

The plots involve stopping a nuclear power plant that's sole purpose of being constructed is to just pollute the water by spewing sludge because thats how nuclear power plants work, they run on sludge.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Wow, pure awesome. I don't know what the gently caress, but I do like the idea of a brain-damaged rapper voicing a John K-esque character who turns Tony Hayward into a ring-tailed lemur.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Wow, pure awesome. I don't know what the gently caress, but I do like the idea of a brain-damaged rapper voicing a John K-esque character who turns Tony Hayward into a ring-tailed lemur.

I liked how the character he voices has an hourglass strung around his neck.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

raditts posted:

I liked how the character he voices has an hourglass strung around his neck.

Yep!

I liked how the absolute most hideous, hateful-looking old people are transformed into the living embodiments of pure cuteness.

Reminds me Gary the Rat, in a way.

But, I'm betting we don't get to see them smoke cigarettes and drink bourbon (or even coffee), and that the premise will basically go to waste.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 23, 2014

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, So I've recently started watching Kid vs Kat and I'm curious what others think of it.

I dunno, it's winning me over slowly. At first it was just the nifty art style that got me watching but between it's character's genuine likability, some drat nifty foreshadowing of possible future events (see: Tutankitty's tomb episode) and Mr Kat being all-around awesome, it's really starting to grow on me.

That said there are a few flaws I can't help but nitpick. The biggest being the main character's habit OF TELLING ANYONE WHO WILL LISTEN THAT HIS CAT IS AN EVIL ALIEN TRYING TO KILL HIM WITHOUT A SHRED OF PROOF. Seriously kid! At least wait until he's holding a laser gun or something. Yeesh! There's also some plot holes I've noticed as well as some real missed opportunities in the writing. Oh, and Coop can be a colossal rear end in a top hat. I'm still not sure if that's a bad thing though.

Anyway I'm kind of torn on this one. I can't tell if it's a good show and I just haven't given myself permission to like it yet (I'm like that with cartoons for some reason), or if this is a bad show I just enjoy it anyway.

What do you think internet?

Link to one of the better episodes of the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am4TE89NIn4&playnext=1&list=PL942B8B492FFF31A6

Link to one of the shorts based on the show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di6RNjJ1FY4&feature=related

Fake edit: Oh, and apparently it won a Leo for best animation as well. No, I've never heard of it either.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

readingatwork posted:

OK, So I've recently started watching Kid vs Kat and I'm curious what others think of it.

Last I saw it--

Hated it hated it hated it hated it.

I think the first and most severe strike against it is that it's obviously Flash animated, and I'm pretty drat sick of Flash.

From there, I just found the characters dumb, irritating, and loud. Their rivalry just seems so pointless and stupid, so I can't bring myself to to root for either of them.

BUT, this is based on one episode, and a few clips, so I'll give your clips a try.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Last I saw it--

I think the first and most severe strike against it is that it's obviously Flash animated, and I'm pretty drat sick of Flash.

From there, I just found the characters dumb, irritating, and loud. Their rivalry just seems so pointless and stupid, so I can't bring myself to to root for either of them.

BUT, this is based on one episode, and a few clips, so I'll give your clips a try.

Fair point on the Flash animation. I'd much prefer if they used the same style and traditionally animated it. Something about Flash stuff just seems... off.

And their rivalry is only half pointless. They're both assholes and I suspect that the reason they fight so much is because they see huge pieces of themselves in each other and can't stand it. But that's just my :3: theory.

As for picking sides I know what you mean there as well. I root for the cat myself even though I don't think I'm supposed to. I don't hate Coop but Mr Kat is a cybernetic alien with a laundry list of superpowers who's primary mission isn't to conquer but to steal food for his people (I think the conquering part comes later or something). It makes it hard to hate him. Plus Coop has it coming like a third of the time.

Entire episode of Coop being a total dickweed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaJqW1Wf2v8
(He's just trying to feed his starving home world you rear end in a top hat!)

The reason I use "Nuff Said" as an good episode is because a lot of the weird moral ambiguity that plagues this show isn't in that one. Kat's actually evil, Coop's a jerk but with a reason, and there is actually something at stake instead of them trying to slit each other's throats over a spilled glass of water.

Another decent example is the two-part time travel one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrR6W35TxnU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akb2Ea7QoCc

Definitely a hit or miss kind of show. But for some drat reason I'd be sad if it got canceled and for the life of me I'm not sure why (hence the post). It's weird, all the elements for me to worship this show unquestioningly are here but the writer's can't for the life of them use said elements quite right.

On a side note Phineas and Ferb is kind of the opposite for me. I'd normally hate it (Ungh! Singing on a Disney channel show!?) but through sheer force of being good at their craft the creators made me like it anyways.

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
In terms of rivalries and slapstick, nothin' beats the old Looney Tunes toons.

Two things made them great:

1) The characters really WANTED what they wanted, even when what they wanted was silly or unattainable. We in the audience can relate to that desire. Kat's motives are often unclear, and for some reason, I don't really believe in Coop's desire to bust Kat.

2) Even the villains and comic foils were relatable, and had a lot of admirable or sympathetic qualities. The best thing you can say about Coop is that he's not raping babies, and that he has brains enough to outwit Kat sometimes, even if he doesn't have brains enough to understand Kat's master plan, or to see when he just needs to let poo poo go. Likewise, while Kat is smart, and is clearly on a mission, I don't get a sense of his "character" or "personality," besides being crabby and possibly eeeevil.

3) The cartoons themselves seemed to recognize and acknowledge that their characters were caught in an absurd Greek tragedy. Coop's character tragic flaws in particular seem to be in "soft focus," and the problem there may be that they aren't exaggerated or extreme enough.

Another thing--the voices are annoying, especially the little sister. Sometimes I can handle annoying voices, but for some reason, these do me in.

I think the main problem is that Coop is indeed a little dillweed, but the show often behaves like we should relate to him because all of us are "kids."

So, I figure, you either need to make Coop really heroic, caring, and honorable young kid who is motivated by a very honest desire to protect his family from a viable threat, or turn him into a cartoonishly vengeful, zealous, brooding little poo poo who can't stop antagonizing the cat, a la Yosemite Sam. (You could even conceivably have him gradually morph from a hero into a lovely little rear end in a top hat.) Kat needs to have more sympathetic character flaws--say, hubris--and the audience needs to feel that he himself is capable of empathy or sympathy in some form.

Interesting that Kat is trying to feed his home planet. Didn't know that!

I had to quit Nuff Said in the middle to go do something, but I'll finish it. Thank you for being so patient as I mistreat your show :).

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 4, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Last I saw it--

I've seen it a couple times and didn't like it either. It suffers from the Fairly Oddparents problem where everyone is yelling all the time no matter what the context is, only it isn't charming enough to overcome that like Fairly Oddparents (usually) was.

And like others have said I could never figure out who I was actually supposed to like on the cast.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

In terms of rivalries and slapstick, nothin' beats the old Looney Tunes toons.

Two things made them great:

1) The characters really WANTED what they wanted, even when what they wanted was silly or unattainable. We in the audience can relate to that desire. Kat's motives are often unclear, and for some reason, I don't really believe in Coop's desire to bust Kat.

2) Even the villains and comic foils were relatable, and had a lot of admirable or sympathetic qualities. The best thing you can say about Coop is that he's not raping babies, and that he has brains enough to outwit Kat sometimes, even if he doesn't have brains enough to understand Kat's master plan, or to see when he just needs to let poo poo go. Likewise, while Kat is smart, and is clearly on a mission, I don't get a sense of his "character" or "personality," besides being crabby and possibly eeeevil.

3) The cartoons themselves seemed to recognize and acknowledge that their characters were caught in an absurd Greek tragedy. Coop's character tragic flaws in particular seem to be in "soft focus," and the problem there may be that they aren't exaggerated or extreme enough.

Another thing--the voices are annoying, especially the little sister. Sometimes I can handle annoying voices, but for some reason, these do me in.

I think the main problem is that Coop is indeed a little dillweed, but the show often behaves like we should relate to him because all of us are "kids."

So, I figure, you either need to make Coop really heroic, caring, and honorable young kid who is motivated by a very honest desire to protect his family from a viable threat, or turn him into a cartoonishly vengeful, zealous, brooding little poo poo who can't stop antagonizing the cat, a la Yosemite Sam. (You could even conceivably have him gradually morph from a hero into a lovely little rear end in a top hat.) Kat needs to have more sympathetic character flaws--say, hubris--and the audience needs to feel that he himself is capable of empathy or sympathy in some form.

Interesting that Kat is trying to feed his home planet. Didn't know that!

I had to quit Nuff Said in the middle to go do something, but I'll finish it. Thank you for being so patient as I mistreat your show :).

Nah! It's cool. I Just like that I have someone else to talk with about this poo poo.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. However in the name of fairness I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit:

1) Millie is absolutely unbearable in the earlier episodes of the show. However as time goes on they cut down her shrill little girl aspect and play up her Fortune 500 CEO side more and more. She is surprisingly more likable when she's not screeching like a drat banshee every time she's on screen.

2) They actually DID give Kat some empathetic qualities. For one thing he gets really attached to Millie as the show goes on to the point where he goes out of his way to protect her. I question why this is the case since she seems to push him around more than Coop, but I chalk it up to (again) him seeing a little too much of himself in the kid. He also has a girlfriend or something I think.

3) I'm hesitant to say Coop's dickishness is entirely a bad thing. While it does make it hard to root for the kid, it has the added side effect of making him an incredibly active character. One of the nice things about this show is that both characters are schemers and regularly get off their asses to DO things. While I wish to GOD that the writer's would make the show less ambiguous in WHY they are fighting, I have to say that I do enjoy watching these two characters actually planning against each other at the same time rather than one side simply playing defense the entire episode.

4) This isn't a response to anything you wrote but I also feel that Dennis deserves a shout out as one of the reasons I'm not totally ashamed to admit to watching this. He's easily the most likable character in the whole thing and frankly the show would only benefit were he to become the main character. He's smart, genuinely nice, decently developed (he has kind of a paranormal investigator thing going for him), and is motivated more by loyalty to his friends and the earth than by petty revenge.

The two episodes that illustrate this best would be the time travel one I mentioned earlier and this one (Menace the Dennis):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=als-M8SHF1I

The time travel one is fun in this sense because apparently if earth ever IS invaded Dennis will join the resistance and get all hardcore while Coop just becomes the invader's bitch. Granted there were mind control collars involved but I still think it's an awesome example of why Dennis should be the main character.

"Menace the Dennis" on the other hand is neat because it shows what happens when Dennis is forced to go it alone and as it turns out Coop is completely holding him back. Not only does he beat Kat with no help from Coop but he does it with zero collateral damage and without anyone thinking he's crazy at the end of it. They seriously need to make more episodes like this one because he's way under utilized despite appearing in almost every episode.

Also:

quote:

(You could even conceivably have him gradually morph from a hero into a lovely little rear end in a top hat.)

Yes! That would make this show absolutely perfect. There is nothing I love more than watching the good guys turn evil.

Does that say bad things about me?

Side note:

I just watched this episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbMCKHYWLSI&feature=related
(The grass is always meaner)

1) The writer's really missed an opportunity to show Coop's good side here. Why didn't they have him (and only him) get his new helmet and just give it to Dennis to replace his broken one? You could have even kept the same basic ending.

2) How the gently caress did Coop's dad know to order 2 helmets in advance in the first place!?

This has nothing to do with anything. It just bugged the crap out of me.

Edit: Oh! And classic Looney Toons 4 evah brother!

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 5, 2011

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It was said earlier in the thread that the guys who make Kid vs. Kat are trying too hard to channel Tex Avery and, in the process, forgot to make the characters likable. I think it stands in stark contrast to Phineas and Ferb, where you don't expect to like some characters but end up finding something to like about all of them.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The plot is that a rapping blue viking is desperately trying to invent a frame story to make Korean stuffed animals hip and relevant to our post-modern, ironic youth so that he can bang Mother Earth.
My thoughts were pretty much along the lines of Vaerai Archon, which made me want to watch it, but when you put it that way... I'm sold on it even more.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

I think it stands in stark contrast to Phineas and Ferb, where you don't expect to like some characters but end up finding something to like about all of them.

I think this is actually one of the show's strengths. to quote the creators:

quote:

Swampy Marsh: I think it's great that the characters are cool, edgy and clever without the humor being mean-spirited. It was important to us that they never did anything with any animosity. They never tried to get their sister in trouble or outsmart their mother and get away with it.

Dan Povenmire: We were trying to do that and still keep an edge to it. Our animation director Rob Hughes...said on all the other shows every character is either stupid or a jerk, but there are no stupid characters or jerks in this one.

Marsh: Except the creators.

None of the characters are really mean or act like jerks- even the bully is smarter than he seems and appears to have a very close nerd-bully relationship with his target.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Jeremy's little sister is totally a jerk

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

readingatwork posted:

1) Millie is absolutely unbearable in the earlier episodes of the show. However as time goes on they cut down her shrill little girl aspect and play up her Fortune 500 CEO side more and more. She is surprisingly more likable when she's not screeching like a drat banshee every time she's on screen.

Cool--good to hear.

quote:

2) They actually DID give Kat some empathetic qualities. For one thing he gets really attached to Millie as the show goes on to the point where he goes out of his way to protect her. I question why this is the case since she seems to push him around more than Coop, but I chalk it up to (again) him seeing a little too much of himself in the kid. He also has a girlfriend or something I think.

Also good to hear!

So, it may be that the show's evolving.

quote:

While I wish to GOD that the writer's would make the show less ambiguous in WHY they are fighting, I have to say that I do enjoy watching these two characters actually planning against each other at the same time rather than one side simply playing defense the entire episode.

Now, that is true.

And, because I haven't seen much of the show, I had no idea that the sidekick's name was Dennis. Thanks :). And, based on that episode you posted, I'd say he's definitely much more interesting, talented, and likable than Coop--but, that's often the case with sidekicks.

(And I laughed when Coop was being chased by the coyote, the buzzards, and the badger.)

The problem for me is that I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel at the climax. As much as I admired Dennis' ingenuity and courage, in the end, I felt bad for Kat and his cat friends when Dennis foiled Kat's evil(?) plan. But, the show clearly wanted us to follow and root for Coop and Dennis, and see things from their perspective, because the "camera" was on them most of the time.

For me, Kat's defeat comes across as more sad than funny, and the boys come across as more bigoted than heroic, because they're antagonizing a creature they don't understand, and don't want to understand. If the show mocked, satirized, or condemned the boys' attitude, that'd be another thing, but it actually seems to share it.

quote:

Yes! That would make this show absolutely perfect. There is nothing I love more than watching the good guys turn evil.

Does that say bad things about me?

Nope, because I'm the same way. We like moral complexity :). (Or, we're just cynical, and we like to see "good guys" slide into the moral cesspool with the rest of us...)

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 5, 2011

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Also good to hear!

So, it may be that the show's evolving.

I think it is. The more recent episodes seem to realize many of the show's issues on some level and appear to be slowly working to fix them. Interestingly, it seems that rather than make Coop less of a dick (it was his one personality trait outside of being a jock anyway) they creators seem to be going in the other direction and just embracing the fact that he's a tool thereby at least controlling it to some degree. The Menace the Dennis episode is actually a good example of this as it outright admits "Yeah, Coop's an jerky dumbass. BUT HE'S A WELL MEANING ONE!". It's an interesting approach and I think it could lead to good places if handled well. It's still not even close to perfect yet, true, but progress is progress!

quote:

Now, that is true.

And, because I haven't seen much of the show, I had no idea that the sidekick's name was Dennis. Thanks :). And, based on that episode you posted, I'd say he's definitely much more interesting, talented, and likable than Coop--but, that's often the case with sidekicks.

Isn't it though?

quote:

(And I laughed when Coop was being chased by the coyote, the buzzards, and the badger.)

I could watch that poo poo all day. :3

quote:

The problem for me is that I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel at the climax. As much as I admired Dennis' ingenuity and courage, in the end, I felt bad for Kat and his cat friends when Dennis foiled Kat's evil(?) plan. But, the show clearly wanted us to follow and root for Coop and Dennis, and see things from their perspective, because the "camera" was on them most of the time.

The boys come off as antagonizing a creature they don't understand, and the show doesn't condemn that, and that kills a lot of my enjoyment. Kat's defeat comes across as more sad than funny, and the boys come across as more bigoted than heroic.

Welcome to Kid vs Kat!

Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me too. The show would have been a thousand times better had they either added a five second scene showing that this actually was for an invasion force (and not some benevolent cause) or made it more clear that they hosed up and just stopped Kat from doing a good thing. I'm fine with either, but make up your mind show!

quote:

Nope, because I'm the same way. We like moral complexity . (Or, we're just cynical, and we like to see "good guys" slide into the moral cesspool with the rest of us...)

Foolish heroes! Acting all perfect and putting on airs. When will they learn that good and evil are mere points of view? What!? You think your better than me just because you spent the weekend building houses for the poor while I spent it perfecting my machine to turn the world's food supplies into angry bees!? You don't know me rear end in a top hat! YOU DON'T KNOW ME!

In other news apparently in July there's a scheduled special called "The Secrets of Mom Bertonberger". I'm actually pretty excited about this as Coops mom is one of the (several) big missed opportunities of the show. She's literally not mentioned once which is a shame because her absence makes the behavior of both Coop and his father make SO much more (likely unintentional) sense. Coop is a jerk because his mom died/left when he was young and he's carried some bitterness about that with him ever since. His father on the other hand feels guilty about her absence and as a result spoils his son with expensive toys, excessive time and energy, and even an entirely new wing on the house (Yes! He does this!). All the while overlooking his son's obviously degrading mental condition in the vain hope that if he just loves him enough his son will recover on his own and things will return to how they used to be. Yet deep in his heart he knows it's a fruitless endeavor and that a tragic choice is only a matter of time away.

That's the other thing I think I love about this show. It's dissectable as gently caress.

That's a word right?

Y-Hat posted:

It was said earlier in the thread that the guys who make Kid vs. Kat are trying too hard to channel Tex Avery and, in the process, forgot to make the characters likable. I think it stands in stark contrast to Phineas and Ferb, where you don't expect to like some characters but end up finding something to like about all of them.

Amen!

The exact moment I fell in love with this show was here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcy1LfiC5VI

Yes... We DO all got a platypus controlling us...

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

quote:

I could watch that poo poo all day. :3

Well, and the cherry on top was how the malicious menagerie continued to grow throughout the episode, until Coop was being chased by a whole petting zoo of hate.

And, you're right that progress is progress, and it shows that the show's creators care about their product.

Hell, Johnny Test has been nothing but BOOM POW BANG YELL YELL YELL *poop joke* KAPOW for, what, forty-thousand seasons now?

quote:

Yeah, that bugs the crap out of me too. The show would have been a thousand times better had they either added a five second scene showing that this actually was for an invasion force (and not some benevolent cause) or made it more clear that they hosed up and just stopped Kat from doing a good thing. I'm fine with either, but make up your mind show!

Precisely! The show can't make up it's drat mind, which means, neither can we!

quote:

That's the other thing I think I love about this show. It's dissectable as gently caress.

That's a word right?

Sure :).

If you like shows that are dissectable as gently caress--and I do too--as odd as it sounds, you should seriously trot on down to the My Little Pony thread. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Whodathunk a show about magical horses had so many layers, both real and imagined?

Tartarus Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tartarus Sauce posted:

If you like shows that are dissectable as gently caress--and I do too--as odd as it sounds, you should seriously trot on down to the My Little Pony thread. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Whodathunk a show about magical horses had so many layers, both real and imagined?

Wait. Is My Little Pony as a franchise even allowed to be good!?

This requires further investigation...

Also, I'm reading the backlog of this thread and am noticing a lot of hate for Johny Test. I've never seen it so I'm going to have to go and see if it's really that bad.

Edit: gently caress! Well that was uninspired.

Edit2: HAHA! The little dragon in My Little Pony (Spike I think) is voiced by the same gal that does Dennis in KvK.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 6, 2011