Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
can anyone point me to stores that carry nice/modern corner AV stands?

I'm moving into a Bungalow style house where the options for the TV in the living room are either directly across from the front door or in the corner next to the fireplace... I'd prefer to avoid having it be the first thing you see when you enter but I don't know where to put my speakers if I put it in the corner either...

I found a photo of this entertainment center on GIS and it looks to be kind of what I'm looking for but I can't find out who makes it or any other manufacturers that make something similar.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chef
Nov 18, 2001

MMD3 posted:

can anyone point me to stores that carry nice/modern corner AV stands?
http://www.racksandstands.com/

Also try tineye to reverse engineer your photo's source if you are in love with that one.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I found a photo of this entertainment center on GIS and it looks to be kind of what I'm looking for but I can't find out who makes it or any other manufacturers that make something similar.

Looks like that corner unit was built by a company called "UBuild" out of Australia. So unless you live there it might be quite expensive to have it shipped.

http://www.dag.net.au/products/index_copy

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Just moved into my new apartment and got everything wired up. Shame I can't get my subwoofer to work at all. The PC off to the left is only there temporarily until I get a longer cable to hide it.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poxin posted:

Just moved into my new apartment and got everything wired up. Shame I can't get my subwoofer to work at all. The PC off to the left is only there temporarily until I get a longer cable to hide it.

You should move your left/right fronts so they're level with the center channel. The tweeters on the front channels should always be on the same plane. This will allow way better imaging and pans.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Looks nice, power strip even seems in order.

Moving the speakers seems much more applicable to Godinster a few posts ago. If poxin did it it would look pretty terrible.

Edit: s/jonathan/poxin/

falz fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 5, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

poxin posted:

What speakers are those?

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
It's mine. Oh yes, it's mine!

One word: Power!

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

The Gunslinger posted:

What speakers are those?

They are the ones that come with the energy take classic 5.1 pack.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

jonathan posted:

You should move your left/right fronts so they're level with the center channel. The tweeters on the front channels should always be on the same plane. This will allow way better imaging and pans.

Not really when the center channel is that high. I would just put the center channel below the tv and call it a day

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Sammy 50" plasma
Marantz SR5003
Mordaunt Short speakers
PS3
WD TV Live
6TB Suse server for media

Not great compared to some of the setups here, but I thought I would share anyway...

Actually I'm moving out of the country soon, so a lot of that stuff is getting sold or stored, and I'll get to build a new setup :haw:

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

hootimus posted:

Sammy 50" plasma
Marantz SR5003
Mordaunt Short speakers
PS3
WD TV Live
6TB Suse server for media

Not great compared to some of the setups here, but I thought I would share anyway...

Actually I'm moving out of the country soon, so a lot of that stuff is getting sold or stored, and I'll get to build a new setup :haw:

That improvised soundbar is probably better than most actual soundbars, though it looks like you had enough room to put them on their own stands.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Definitely, and the stereo imaging would be better too. For some reason, at the time I was buying everything, I had convinced myself that it would be better all around to do it the way I did. Who knows :ohdear:

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Panasonic 42 inch Plasma
Dell 21 inch monitor
WDTV HD
Dell HTPC running XBMC and external HD hidden behind the TV
Sylvania Blu-ray player
Marantz Radio Tuner & Reciever hooked to two lovely Logitech speakers for now.

Work
Dell Optiplex teacher computer
Extron Scalers
Extron DVI DA
Pass through panel with HDMI, Component + Audio, and Composite + Audio
Denon Blu-ray Player
Crestron 10X10 DM system (Sending Sources over fiber)
Crestron Processor

Bigdee4933 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 5, 2011

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You really know how to use zip ties, nice job!

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

hootimus posted:

You really know how to use zip ties, nice job!

My co-worker is the zip tie master. I'm pretty good too, but he did that one. My student worker though, oh man, he just grabs all of the wires he can bundle up and zip ties them together. The joys of working for a university.

Back rack with audio equipment.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

falz posted:

Looks nice, power strip even seems in order.

Moving the speakers seems much more applicable to Godinster a few posts ago. If jonathan did it it would look pretty terrible.

Huh ? I have 13 devices and 1 visible cord (tv power/hdmi). It's hardly a terrible setup. Either way, keeping the fronts on the same level is fairly important. I find it really distracting when the center channel emits sound from way up or below the rest of the sound.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

afen posted:

It's mine. Oh yes, it's mine!

One word: Power!

What were you powering the speakers from before ? Did you notice a difference ? I'm thinking of going with the Emotiva XPA-5 (200wattx5) and their pre/pro and I'm wondering how much more detail I'll get out of the system with lower volume levels. "They" say that the biggest difference is when listening at lower volumes than when listening loud.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

jonathan posted:

Huh ? I have 13 devices and 1 visible cord (tv power/hdmi). It's hardly a terrible setup. Either way, keeping the fronts on the same level is fairly important. I find it really distracting when the center channel emits sound from way up or below the rest of the sound.
Whoops, I listed the wrong name- I was talking about poxin's pictures. Every time I've set my own systems up I've always had the center below the TV, L/R speakers centered vertically with the screen and it's always sounded fine.

If poxin moved his fronts up I think it would look strange. Visual appeal seems like a decent trade off to me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

falz posted:

Whoops, I listed the wrong name- I was talking about poxin's pictures. Every time I've set my own systems up I've always had the center below the TV, L/R speakers centered vertically with the screen and it's always sounded fine.

If poxin moved his fronts up I think it would look strange. Visual appeal seems like a decent trade off to me.

I posted a pic when I first got my setup wired in and the wires were a mess so I thought you were refering to that, but since then I've built a false wall out of hardboard which hides the wiring. If I wasnt in a condo they're be tucked away in a rack.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bigdee4933 posted:

Crestron 10X10 DM system (Sending Sources over fiber)

Crestron doesn't make a 10X10 matrix. That there is a DM-MD8X8 :)

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Legdiian posted:

Crestron doesn't make a 10X10 matrix. That there is a DM-MD8X8 :)

Yes thank you, I'm a retard. I was counting the fiber out.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bigdee4933 posted:

Heh no problem. I love seeing Crestron stuff in this thread. Been installing/programing it for the last 6 years.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Bigdee4933 posted:

Where do you work? Can you get me a job there? :)

Bigdee4933
Jun 15, 2006
Bigdee4933

Legdiian posted:

Heh no problem. I love seeing Crestron stuff in this thread. Been installing/programing it for the last 6 years.

I just started installing. I haven't been to any formal classes but the installation part is pretty simple. I have an MPS200 sitting on my desk with a Crestron TPS-3100L that I try to screw around with. I graduated school with a degree in advertising/graphic design. So I really like messing around with interfaces. Here is one I made for my desk that runs in crestron's mobile app. VTPro-e sucks rear end though.

metachronos posted:

Where do you work? Can you get me a job there? :)

I work at Western Kentucky University. Hopefully in the next 4-6 months I will be moving to a managerial position over student workers. That is not even our best room. You should see our new auditorium with a 70K dollar Christie projector and a 310 foot screen. It has a HDMI pass through so all you have to do is plug your xbox or ps3 straight to it.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

jonathan posted:

What were you powering the speakers from before ? Did you notice a difference ? I'm thinking of going with the Emotiva XPA-5 (200wattx5) and their pre/pro and I'm wondering how much more detail I'll get out of the system with lower volume levels. "They" say that the biggest difference is when listening at lower volumes than when listening loud.

I used a Rotel RB-1572 before. I noticed a great difference! I'm not an audiophile, but the sound has improved on all levels. "Meatier" is a word that comes to mind. Never tried the Emotiva amps, although I have an UMC-1 on the way.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

Samsung LN46A650
Xbox 360 S w/ Kinect
Verizon FiOS STB
Onkyo SR-608

Infinity Primus P362 fronts
Infinity Primus PC350 center
Onkyo HTiB sub
Onkyo HTiB surrounds

I could honestly get rid of the Onkyo sub due to the amount of bass the P362s can put out for an apartment environment.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
How are those Infinity speakers? I wish I'd heard of them earlier because I keep hearing about them but I just bought a bunch of RC series Energy speakers, never really got to compare them.

CheshireCat
Jul 9, 2001

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

BusinessWallet posted:

How are those Infinity speakers? I wish I'd heard of them earlier because I keep hearing about them but I just bought a bunch of RC series Energy speakers, never really got to compare them.
They're very, very nice. I'm quite happy with them.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

CheshireCat posted:

Samsung LN46A650
Xbox 360 S w/ Kinect
Verizon FiOS STB
Onkyo SR-608

Infinity Primus P362 fronts
Infinity Primus PC350 center
Onkyo HTiB sub
Onkyo HTiB surrounds

I could honestly get rid of the Onkyo sub due to the amount of bass the P362s can put out for an apartment environment.

I have the same fronts and absolutely love them, but I added a 12 inch sub and you really can feel the difference. I don't have the center so my system is just a 4.1 right now. I just feel like I can't justify $200 for the center when I'm so happy with what I have right now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Naffer posted:

I have the same fronts and absolutely love them, but I added a 12 inch sub and you really can feel the difference. I don't have the center so my system is just a 4.1 right now. I just feel like I can't justify $200 for the center when I'm so happy with what I have right now.

I disagree, I would rather have a 3.1 system or even a 3.0 system than a 4.1 system. I feel that, atleast for 5.1 channel stuff, the center channel is the most important in the whole setup.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

jonathan posted:

I disagree, I would rather have a 3.1 system or even a 3.0 system than a 4.1 system. I feel that, atleast for 5.1 channel stuff, the center channel is the most important in the whole setup.

I agree. The center is where you're going to get 90% of your dialogue out of. Unless you have a R or L setup as a "center". Otherwise I can't imagine you'd be getting great dialogue.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
nvm wrong thread

metachronos fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 16, 2011

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
DAW/Entertainment Station. (NOW IN CRAPPY PANORAMIC VISION)

Click here for the full 1785x860 image.

DBX Soundfield II's on the wall
Bose 2.2 series II's on the desk
2xDell U2410
Samsung 1080 32"
Realistic MD-1000 (I DONT NEED TO JUSTIFY MY LD PLAYER TO YOU PEOPLE)
Akai XR-20
Peavey PV-8USB
Assorted dynamic and condenser mics

In the rack:
Yamaha RX-V495
Kenwood KM-991

giundy
Dec 10, 2005

Dankness posted:

Figured I would add my current two setups for you guys since I've been drooling over many of yours:

First, my living room setup is where I listen to my vinyl and airtunes

2 x Sansui SP-2500

Totally jealous of the speakers. I had my dad's when I lived at home and they rock, especially when paired with an external sub. Someday I'll pick up a pair of those, or 901s depending on the availability.

Current set up, components haven't changed in nearly 2 years but the location and layout have. Pioneer reciever, made before HDMI, Xbox, 42" Toshiba lcd, and generic, post 70s era Sansui speakers. It makes for a tidy package, although I may swap the xbox for a HTPC since it won't stream modern codec videos.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So I'm trying to make the most out of the small amount of space I have to work with in our new house... This is the corner I've got my TV in next to the fireplace. I had to take my speakers off of their stands and obviously my center channel isn't in the perfect place either. Definitely open to suggestions, I have a few more shelves for this industrial steel post shelving but dunno where I'd put them if I wanted to keep enough height for the speakers.

Thoughts?

Samsung ln40a650
Pioneer VSX-1020k
Aperion Intimus 5b's and 4c center
Boxee Box
PS3

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Switch locations of the receiver and center channel?

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I'd add another shelf and position the L/R speakers sideways with the center in between, as a DIY sound bar. Put the Receiver on the bottom along with the PS3, cable modem, and Boxee, and put something personal items on the middle shelf.

Honestly, you would probably be better of with a TV stand designed specifically for corners. It'll sit a bit farther back and allow you to position your speakers to the sides of the TV.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ThinkFear posted:

I'd add another shelf and position the L/R speakers sideways with the center in between, as a DIY sound bar. Put the Receiver on the bottom along with the PS3, cable modem, and Boxee, and put something personal items on the middle shelf.

Honestly, you would probably be better of with a TV stand designed specifically for corners. It'll sit a bit farther back and allow you to position your speakers to the sides of the TV.

That's a pretty solid idea, think I'll try the fake sound-bar idea until I can figure something better out. I guess I had some stigma against turning my speakers on their sides.

I've been looking for a decent corner stand for a bit now, still not finding anything I really like. I'm a big fan of Salamander's stuff but it doesn't look like they do any corner pieces and I'm sure even if they did they'd be like $1500. Ideally I'd like something with a hardwod veneer rather than the myriad of glass corner stands you find at Best Buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Finally got mine all set up the way I want 9 months after I got my speakers up here. Just got the couch today. Changed from this back in June. Still kinda want to get a subwoofer but don't really need it.