Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
So, based solely on the positively volcanic praise it's been getting all across the board, I watched every episode of Terriers over the last week.

And for the first batch of episodes (1 - 10), it's good. Very good, actually. Very stylistic, engrossing, involving, charming and sweet with what I rank as one of last year's best leading performances and a killer tone. It also did what I love more than anything in a modern tv show, basically all of which try to balance pathos and humour: The humour was goddamn hilarious and the pathos was well-handled.

Then it got to episode eleven, 'Sins of the Past'. All of a sudden, practically from nowhere, the show completely catapults itself from a charming and solid procedural to an all-out, balls-to-the-wall conspiracy thriller that at times (and I do not say this lightly) even rivals Breaking Bad at its absolute best. I actually genuinely loving mean that, Sins of the Past was just as :aaaaa: as the Breaking Bad finale and for loving serious, Donal Logue takes an already excellent performance and elevates it to the next level, like seriously the dude's amazing.

The ending of the season-long plot is pretty rushed and ham-handed but I can forgive that, simply because of how great everything before it is.

Seriously, just loving watch Terriers. Please?

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BringYourOwnBacon
Jan 21, 2006

There will be NO bacon surfing!
I'm on the second series of Hustle right now. It's a great show, but then I love con shows. It is a little light, and the characters smile a bit too much. So far it hasn't really gotten deep, but I'm not complaining.

At the same time my wife is going through Nip/Tuck. What a disappointment after the second season. I mean, come on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BringYourOwnBacon posted:

I'm on the second series of Hustle right now. It's a great show, but then I love con shows. It is a little light, and the characters smile a bit too much. So far it hasn't really gotten deep, but I'm not complaining.

At the same time my wife is going through Nip/Tuck. What a disappointment after the second season. I mean, come on.

That is how I knew that Glee was going to go down fast. He has good ideas for a mini series then it just goes downhill fast.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Adrianics posted:

Seriously, just loving watch Terriers. Please?

Well it's a bit late seeing as the show's been canceled since December, but I'll agree with everything you've posted. I recently marathoned the series for the first time a week ago and I can say without a doubt that Terriers was probably the best new show to come out last year. Everything about it was loving awesome and the leads had ridiculously perfect chemistry and I'm sad that I'll never get to see another mystery solved by those 2 lovable bastards again.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Dropped 24 in favor of Blue Mountain State. It started out being pretty unbearable but now I'm on episode 9, guest starring Cloris Leachman, and I can't stop laughing! Thad is also a pretty amazing character.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
So I just started watching Archer and holy shitballs is it hilarious! I'm usually not into animated shows, but I heard really good things about it. If I had known that was the cast, I would have been watching it all along.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 30, 2011

Digital Scumbag
Feb 11, 2010
Currently progressing through "Wolverine and the X-Men", the most recent animated X-Men cartoon and the third series to attempt after the prolific 90's X-Men series and the terrible high-school kids WB X-Men Evolution.
A lot of the narrative is hit or miss as comics go, but something could be said for how satisfying the cameos and B-list heroes they use can be. It also hits all the notes of familiarity and status quo and operates more or less in it's own universe, so you don't need much current comic knowledge to appreciate it.

Now before someone mentions the nostalgia factor, I watched a few episodes of the 90's series before attempting this one. I'd say it's nearly as good for different reasons with the only thing the 90's series having over them is a much longer run, darker art style (but weaker concept and animation), and arguably some better voice actors (I personally can't divorce the 90's voice actors from how the characters "should" sound). The 90's series is also 90's as gently caress with boxy red convertibles, tank tops and feathered hair, and some really dated slang.

If you like it, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes is gathering alot of steam in Batman's Shameful Secret as the new awesome Marvel animation on the block. I saw about half the series and it's p good.

Also progressing through Boardwalk Empire, did anyone think Harrow sounded exactly like a Ghoul from Fallout? The sniper with the missing face who appears around Ep7.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Just starting to work our way through Kitchen Confidential after hearing all the love it gets in here. I'm particularly enjoying the fact that it's just half an hour. Hour-long shows are great and all, but it's nice to have something nice and short every now and then.

For any fans of Kitchen Confidential, I'd recommend at least checking out Hotel Babylon which has been on Netflix Instant for awhile (and may made the rounds on BBC America at some point.) Very similar setup with a focus on the work behind the scenes, this time centering on a luxury hotel rather than a restaurant.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Adrianics posted:

Terriers

Heck yes. I watched it over winter break and, while it took a few episodes to get good, it was like somebody combined everything I loved about Veronica Mars and everything I loved about Breaking Bad. The fact that it is canceled is totally :saddowns: but the ending of the last episode seemed as good a sendoff as they could do with only one season under their belt.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

TheAngryDrunk posted:

So I just started watching Archer and holy shitballs is it hilarious! I usually not into animated shows, but I heard really good things about it. If I had known that was the cast, I would have been watching it all alone.

Yeah it's fantastic.

I've never bothered watching any Adult Swim stuff ever, but Archer is hilarious, constitutes a mini-Arrested Development reunion and is also one of the funniest shows on TV, period.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

Wanted to post a thanks for the Misfits recommendation. The show is awesome. The probation officer in season 2 kills me.

Also, anyone know if the soundtrack for this show is available. It's kind of kickass.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

In the middle of season 1 of Breaking Bad. Wish I had started it sooner.

igotbored
Mar 29, 2010
Watched season 1 of Party Down. It manages to be both loving hilarious and kind of depressing at the same time. I really like it.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008
I feel dirty writing this but I watched 4 seasons of grey's anatomy within 2 weeks. Now I can't stand the show

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

Shear the Sheep posted:

I feel dirty writing this but I watched 4 seasons of grey's anatomy within 2 weeks. Now I can't stand the show

Too bad you'll never quit. Don't worry, I'm right here with you.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

igotbored posted:

Watched season 1 of Party Down. It manages to be both loving hilarious and kind of depressing at the same time. I really like it.

I came here to post this thanks to netflix. Got through them all in like 3 days, season one and two.

I looked online to see when the next season would air and it got canceled, very surprising for a show of that quality.

Shear the Sheep
Dec 31, 2008

tuckfard posted:

Too bad you'll never quit. Don't worry, I'm right here with you.

It's so sad but I just keep watching.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just started Spartacus: Blood and Sand and The Office (UK). One is poo poo and one is completely incomprehensible.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Party Down is indeed terrific, it had me hooked right from the first episode. Ken Marino and Adam Scott are both utter revelations in their own way.

"Little girl, if you tell your mom, I will just... Destroy you. Simple as that."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

scr0llwheel posted:

Just started Spartacus: Blood and Sand and The Office (UK). One is poo poo and one is completely incomprehensible.

S:BaS ends up being incredible.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Just finished the first season of Doctor who (the 2005 edition).
A friend of mine have been impatient about this for some time now, but I must say that even though I think it is good, I don't consider it a MUST SEE. The same guy insists that the next season with the 10. doctor is where the show really kicks off.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jarl posted:

Just finished the first season of Doctor who (the 2005 edition).
A friend of mine have been impatient about this for some time now, but I must say that even though I think it is good, I don't consider it a MUST SEE. The same guy insists that the next season with the 10. doctor is where the show really kicks off.

Skip to 11th. That is when it is at its best (other then 1,2,3, and 4th Doctor)

Also finally got into Parks and Recreation after watching some third season episodes. Ron and Tammy was amazing.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I've never really been able to get into adult animated comedy, well except for Futurama I guess. All the stuff on Adult Swim and that kind of thing, I know some of it is supposed to be good, and I'll give them a chance, but they usually just don't do anything for me.

With Archer I was completely hooked a few minutes into the first epsiode I saw while channel surfing, and the binge happened soon after. Unfortunately it's a short one :(

If anyone hasn't bothered with this because they felt the same way I did about "late night adult animation" you might want to give it a go. For me it's quickly become one of those "perfect" comedies I can count on one hand that just never puts a foot wrong.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Archer is yet another show I was pointed towards by TVIV. H Jon Benjamin (that is his name?) is a loving genius in the title role and enough to make me wish that voice actors were eligible for Emmys.

"What are you, James Bond?"

"WELL I DON'T LIKE TO INVITE THAT COMPARISON"

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Gravy Jones posted:

I've never really been able to get into adult animated comedy, well except for Futurama I guess. All the stuff on Adult Swim and that kind of thing, I know some of it is supposed to be good, and I'll give them a chance, but they usually just don't do anything for me.

With Archer I was completely hooked a few minutes into the first epsiode I saw while channel surfing, and the binge happened soon after. Unfortunately it's a short one :(

If anyone hasn't bothered with this because they felt the same way I did about "late night adult animation" you might want to give it a go. For me it's quickly become one of those "perfect" comedies I can count on one hand that just never puts a foot wrong.

I feel the same way about comedies and Archer is on my list to start soon. What other comedies do you consider "perfect"?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

scr0llwheel posted:

What other comedies do you consider "perfect"?

Off the top of my head: Fawlty Towers, Arrested Development, The Thick of It. these are the one's that just hit every beat every time.

There are other's which are close: Yes Minister, Seinfeld and Community. It's obviously completely subjective as there's some shows like say Curb Your Enthusiasm, which give me the perfect vibe, but I just can't watch.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just finished season 2 of Breaking Bad. Holy poo poo. Walter just can't catch a break can he? :(

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Gravy Jones posted:

It's obviously completely subjective as there's some shows like say Curb Your Enthusiasm, which give me the perfect vibe, but I just can't watch.

Dammit why haven't I been able to put it like this before? While I get and understand the humor of Curb Your Enthusiasm, some how I just can't watch it. It doesn't draw me in and make me want to watch more at all. One episode at a time, far removed from the last, is enough for me.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I finally finished Prison Break, pretty awesome ride. Robert Knepper (T-Bag) deserves a god drat Oscar for that role.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

Finished Deadwood and am now joining the rest of you in lamenting the lack of a fourth season / movies / etc, especially after reading some of the actual history of what happens in Deadwood. Oh well, I'll probably give it a rewatch soon enough. I'm putting this right behind The Wire as far as favorite HBO shows go.

I think I'm going to start up on Mad Men next, although I have a friend that's imploring I start Sons of Anarchy.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

scr0llwheel posted:

Spartacus has one of the biggest switches from poo poo to awesome you'll ever see. It really starts to pick up from episode 4, then it just gets better and better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I also want to thank this thread for recommending Misfits. I just heard the funniest line of all time.

I want to rub my cock on your hairy armpits!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Misfits is extremely well written, and very funny, there's literally no reason to not watch it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I sincerely tried to watch Band of Brothers recently because a lot of people have told me it's good and whatnot, but I just couldn't get into it. They spent way too much time on repetitive battle sequences (at least in the first 4 episodes I saw) and it just felt to me like the characters were far too stereotypical and underdeveloped. I really can't understand why it gets so much acclaim, it just doesn't seem like anything special to me in the way of war drama.

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

kaworu posted:

I sincerely tried to watch Band of Brothers recently because a lot of people have told me it's good and whatnot, but I just couldn't get into it. They spent way too much time on repetitive battle sequences (at least in the first 4 episodes I saw) and it just felt to me like the characters were far too stereotypical and underdeveloped. I really can't understand why it gets so much acclaim, it just doesn't seem like anything special to me in the way of war drama.

It it the first one or the one in the pacific? Because the latter isn't anything special.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I find it hard to believe anyone could get the two mixed up.

Anyway, I don't know. Currahee is arguably kind of a slow episode, but I felt the miniseries hit the ground running with the second episode. You do get to know the characters better as it progresses but I truly do feel BoB is one of those special series that was just about perfect start to finish. It's cliched to say but "maybe it's just not for you".

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Brown Moses posted:

Spartacus has one of the biggest switches from poo poo to awesome you'll ever see. It really starts to pick up from episode 4, then it just gets better and better.

I'm glad I kept at it because you weren't lying. I just finished episode 4 and I'm hooked.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
I just finished the 5th season of Peep Show. It's definitely living up to the praise, but my God is Mark a cringe-machine. I wouldn't be surprised if they wrote Will from The Inbetweeners as "Mark Corrigan in sixth-form days".

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

scr0llwheel posted:

I'm glad I kept at it because you weren't lying. I just finished episode 4 and I'm hooked.

I don't usually rewatch shows but Spartacus is so awesome I've watched it through twice now.

Also if you don't love BoB you have no soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixfix
Nov 4, 2010

GET IN THE BIN

JVO posted:

I think I'm going to start up on Mad Men next, although I have a friend that's imploring I start Sons of Anarchy.

Mad Men cannot get enough love. Can't wait for next season. I can understand why a lot of people didn't like the ending to season 4, but I like the direction its taking.