Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Cichlid the Loach posted:

About a million years after first posting about it, I finally finished State of Play. Wow! I think I may need some time to digest. And maybe a rewatch, knowing what I know now.

Awesome isn't it? If you want to keep it that way, don't watch the Hollywood remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Steve Coogan posted:

As a huge fan of Top Gear. I normally regard the presenters' brand of irreverence as a part of the rough and tumble that goes with having a sense of humour. I've been on the show three times and had a go at their celebrity-lap challenge, and I would love to receive a fourth invite. But I think that's unlikely once they have read this. If, however, it makes the Lads question their behaviour for a second – ambitious, I know – it will be worth it.

I normally remain below the parapet when these frenetic arguments about comedy and taste break out. But this time, I've had enough of the regular defence you tend to hear – the tired line that it's "just a laugh", a bit of "harmless fun".

Some of the Lads' comments again, in case you missed them. "Mexican cars are just going to be lazy, feckless, flatulent, overweight, leaning against a fence asleep looking at a cactus, with a blanket with a hole in the middle on as a coat" (Richard Hammond). Mexican food is "sick with cheese on it" (James May).

Jeremy Clarkson added to the mirth by suggesting that the Mexican ambassador (a certain Eduardo Medina-Mora Icaza) would be so busy sleeping he wouldn't register any outrage. (He wasn't and he did.)

OK, guys, I've got some great ideas for your next show. Jeremy, why not have James describe some kosher food as looking like "sick with cheese on it"? No? Thought not. Even better, why not describe some Islamic fundamentalists as lazy and feckless?

Feel the silence. They're all pretty well organised these days, aren't they, those groups? Better stick to those that are least problematic.

Old people? Special needs? I know – Mexicans! There aren't enough of them to be troublesome, no celebrities to be upset. And most of them are miles and miles away.

The BBC's initial mealy-mouthed apology was pitiful. It cited the more benign rivalry that exists between European nations (ah, those arrogant French, over-organised Germans), and in doing so neatly sidestepped one hugely important fact – ethnicity. All the examples it uses to legitimise this hateful rubbish are relatively prosperous countries full of white people. How about if the Lads had described Africans as lazy, feckless etc? Or Pakistanis?

What's more, this was all spouted by the presenters on one of the BBC's most successful programmes, with ratings that could only fail to impress Simon Cowell (very fast lap time). Forget the World Service; overseas, Top Gear is more frequently the public face of the BBC.

The Beeb's hand-wringing suggested tolerance of casual racism, arguably the most sinister kind. It's easy to spot the ones with the burning crosses. Besides, there is not a shred of truth in Top Gear's "comic" stereotype. I can tell you from my own experience, living in the US, Mexicans work themselves to the bone doing all the dirty thankless jobs that the white middle-class natives won't do.

What makes it worse is that the Lads wear this offensive behaviour as a badge of pride, pleased that they have annoyed those whom they regard, in another lazy stereotype, as sandal-wearing vegans with beards and no sense of humour.

Well here's some Twitter hot news: I don't have a beard, I'm not a vegan, I don't wear sandals (unless they're Birkenstocks, of course), and I have, I think, a sense of humour. I also know something about comedy. It's true there are no hard fast rules; it's often down to judgment calls. It's safe to say, though, that you can get away with saying unsayable things if it's done with some sense of culpability.

I've been fortunate enough to work with the likes of Peter Baynham, Armando Iannucci, Chris Morris, Simon Pegg, Julia Davis, Caroline Aherne, Ruth Jones, and the Mighty Boosh – some of the funniest and most innovative people in British comedy. And Rob Brydon too.

It's a diverse, eclectic group of people with one common denominator: they could all defend and justify their comedy from a moral standpoint. They are laughing at hypocrisy, human frailty, narrow-mindedness. They mock pomposity and arrogance.

If I say anything remotely racist or sexist as Alan Partridge, for example, the joke is abundantly clear. We are laughing at a lack of judgment and ignorance. With Top Gear it is three rich, middle-aged men laughing at poor Mexicans. Brave, groundbreaking stuff, eh?

There is a strong ethical dimension to the best comedy. Not only does it avoid reinforcing prejudices, it actively challenges them. Put simply, in comedy, as in life, we ought to think before we speak. This wasn't one of those occasions. In fact, the comments were about as funny as a cold sweat followed by shooting pains down the left arm. In fact, if I can borrow from the Wildean wit of Richard Hammond, the comic approach was "lazy", "feckless" and "flatulent".

Richard has his tongue so far down the back of Jeremy's trousers he could forge a career as the back end of a pantomime horse. His attempt to foster some Clarkson-like maverick status with his "edgy" humour is truly tragic. He reminds you of the squirt at school as he hangs round Clarkson the bully, as if to say, "I'm with him". Meanwhile, James May stands at the back holding their coats as they beat up the boy with the stutter.

It's not entirely their fault, of course. Part of the blame must lie with what some like to call the "postmodern" reaction to overzealous political correctness. Sometimes, it's true, things need a shakeup; orthodoxies need to be challenged. But this sort of ironic approach has been a licence for any halfwit to vent the prejudices they'd been keeping in the closet since Love Thy Neighbour was taken off the air.

Also, a factor little picked up on elsewhere in the Lads' remarks is that they do, after all, present a car show. And archaic attitudes are endemic in a lot of motoring journalism. I confess I am an avid consumer and I have to wade through a sea of lazy cliches to get to anything genuinely illuminating.

Jeremy unwittingly cast the template for this. Twenty years ago, when I bought Performance Car magazine, his column was the first I would turn to. It was slightly annoying but unfailingly funny. Since then there have been legions of pretenders who just don't pass muster. There is a kneejerk, brainless reaction to any legislation that may have a detrimental effect on their God-given right to drive cars anywhere at any speed that they consider safe. They often remind me of the National Rifle Association in the US who, I'm sure we can all agree, are a bunch of nutters. It's a kind of "airbags are for poofs" mentality and, far from being shocking, it's just shockingly dull.

It would be fine if it was confined to a bunch of grumpy men in bad jeans smoking Marlboros at the side of the Millbrook test track, but it's not. As I pointed out, it's the voice of one of the BBC's most successful programmes.

The Lads have this strange notion that if they are being offensive it bestows on them a kind of anti-establishment aura of coolness; in fact, like their leather jackets and jeans, it is uber-conservative (which isn't cool).

Gentlemen, I don't believe in half-criticisms and this has nothing to do with my slow lap times. But, increasingly, you each look like a middle-aged punk rocker pogoing at his niece's wedding. That would be funny if you weren't regarded by some people as role models. Big viewing figures don't give you impunity – they carry responsibility. Start showing some, tuck your shirts in, be a bit funnier and we'll pretend it all never happened.
Going to take issue with Coogan's last paragraph. "Pretend it all never happened" is what happens after a week or so has passed on every previous occasion the Top Gear wankers get a bit of bad press for whatever their latest bigotry is. So maybe it's not the best course if you don't want them to trot out yet their next variation of "lol cripples / browns / queers" in a few months?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Coogan is right. Tit-for-tat retaliation followed by statute-of-limitations forgiveness is optimal strategy, yes.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
This is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs
He's not even a real hamster!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Has Coogan done any books at all? I have the sudden urge to read more of his stuff.

But yeah he has a point. Picking on Mexico is such a lame thing to do too.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

wickles posted:

This is great too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0i0RXMvzMs
He's not even a real hamster!

That entire DVD is well worth watching. It was the first thing that sprang to mind after seeing Coogan refer to Hammond as the squirt standing behind the school bully.

If you prefer a milder comedian, please ask for one if anyone is curious.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

MisterLizard posted:

That entire DVD is well worth watching. It was the first thing that sprang to mind after seeing Coogan refer to Hammond as the squirt standing behind the school bully.

If you prefer a milder comedian, please ask for one if anyone is curious.

I need to get this, saw it live and it was AMAZING.

also, you have the best avatar/username ever

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's hilarious that the Top Gear viewers in the thread on here don't get Lee, and can't see what is wrong with the Mexican comments. It is like they are stereotypes of Top Gear viewers.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Fatkraken posted:

I need to get this, saw it live and it was AMAZING.

also, you have the best avatar/username ever

Saw it live and thought it was just ok. Far better on the DVD, though. Having said that, it's not as good as the previous 2 or 3.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00x8fw4

Outcasts starts tomorrow at 9 on BBC1.

Looks interesting, plus it has Apollo in it and I loved it when he was fat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh god, it's that woman. The one with the face.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ratjaculation posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ratjaculation posted:

I noticed this while I was flicking through my sister's SFX. I may have squeed a little. I will definitely be checking this out, the rest of the cast looks great too.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's hilarious that the Top Gear viewers in the thread on here don't get Lee, and can't see what is wrong with the Mexican comments. It is like they are stereotypes of Top Gear viewers.

It's also hilarious watching the morons in there kick off with knee jerk reactions that anyone who disagrees with them is a flat out racist, racist, RACIST, RAAAAAACIIIIIST.

This is why shows like Episodes are thing that actually happen.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Brainwrong posted:

Awesome isn't it? If you want to keep it that way, don't watch the Hollywood remake [of State of Play]

I've heard that the Hollywood remake is actually pretty good, and enough of its own entity that either way it doesn't ruin the miniseries or anything. Not that I feel any particular need to see it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Kin posted:

It's also hilarious watching the morons in there kick off with knee jerk reactions that anyone who disagrees with them is a flat out racist, racist, RACIST, RAAAAAACIIIIIST.

Kin posted:

No, i'm idiotest.

:downsrim:

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 6, 2011

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hahaha, that Top Gear thread is terrible.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Kin posted:

But what they said was racist. Horribly so. And anyone who has no problem with it is racist. It's like if they'd gone on about blacks stealing tv's or jews stealing all the money and then complaining that people are too quick to shout racist when they call you out on it.

You're a racist and so are half the people in the top gear thread. gently caress off.

Tardstar fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 6, 2011

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Regardless of whether the comments were racist or not, they were utterly dull, predictable and unfunny.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Oh, God, can we not drag this argument into this thread and ruin it as well? The Top Gear thread just hurts to read now--the stupid, circular argument disgusts me more than the actual comments did.

Uncertain Frog
Jul 28, 2006

What happens if a large asteroid hits Earth? Judging from simulations involving a hammer and a frog, we can assume it will be bad.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Oh god, it's that woman. The one with the face.

The one they tried to play as the hottest woman to ever work at MI5 in Spooks?

In a show that's boasted Keely Hawes, that girl who got her face dunked in chip fat, the cute blonde with the short hair, Adam's wife and Harry I never understood why men kept falling for her.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Uncertain Frog posted:

The one they tried to play as the hottest woman to ever work at MI5 in Spooks?

In a show that's boasted Keely Hawes, that girl who got her face dunked in chip fat, the cute blonde with the short hair, Adam's wife and Harry I never understood why men kept falling for her.

Yes, her ! She looks like knapped flint.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

:downsrim:

It never fails to amaze me how much you always miss the point in things Rapey.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Ratjaculation posted:

I'm 99% certain this will be poo poo, it's the type of programme the BBC has never done well in the past.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Brown Moses posted:

I'm 99% certain this will be poo poo, it's the type of programme the BBC has never done well in the past.

It looks good, but then so did The Deep.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Flatscan posted:

It looks good, but then so did The Deep.

gently caress YOU THE DEEP WAS AWESOME

OK so actually the deep wasn't awesome, but I still enjoyed the poo poo out of it, cheesy predictability and all. gently caress the haters, more Minnie driver slumming it on TV and ex ER actors wondering where the hell it all went wrong

The writer has done a bunch of stuff for Spooks which I don't watch, some show called "party animals" and something called "the fixer", neither of which I've heard of (the former seems to be a drama about lobbyists, the latter a thriller about assassins). Spooks is fairly well liked around here so it might bode well.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
the thing with the mexican comments on Top Gear that was odd was how Richard Hammond, who normally limits his input in the studio to small quips and rebuttals to Clarkson, decided to open his mouth and let that verbal shite spew out (which is usually left to Clarkson). It was asif he'd been waiting for an opportunity to unleash his vitriol in an uncharacteristic outburst.

And it really was incredibly unfunny.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think the reason it wasn't funny is that it wasn't delivered as a joke. It was just an extremely privileged, white, mid-life crisis saying something venomous about developing-world brown people.

On the BBC's flagship entertainment programme.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

The writer has done a bunch of stuff for Spooks which I don't watch, some show called "party animals" and something called "the fixer", neither of which I've heard of (the former seems to be a drama about lobbyists, the latter a thriller about assassins). Spooks is fairly well liked around here so it might bode well.

Which series of Spooks? The first 3 were amazing, but the it steadilly went downhill to the point where i just couldn't muster the effort to watch anything more of... season 5 i think.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fatkraken posted:

gently caress YOU THE DEEP WAS AWESOME

OK so actually the deep wasn't awesome, but I still enjoyed the poo poo out of it, cheesy predictability and all. gently caress the haters, more Minnie driver slumming it on TV and ex ER actors wondering where the hell it all went wrong

The Fixer was actually really good, Daily Mail reader trolling at it's finest. The Deep on the other hand sucked big cock.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Things I learned this week (last week):

Mexicans are lazy

Zionist Jews are naughty

Humanity is amazing

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
BBC sci-fi drama efforts are always shite :(

It will be like incredibly earnest and the fx will be that not quite good standard.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

A great thing about Stewart Lee is that he satirises people who won't like his act, during the act, and actually does it throughout the Top Gear bit, something lost on people who prefer stuff like the American stand-ups he takes the piss out of.

The absolute pinnacle being lying flat on his back off stage screaming about Del Boy falling through the bar, before looking at the camera and resignedly saying, "That's what you like."

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Speaking of John Simm / Philip Glenister tv, has anyone heard anything good about Mad Dogs? http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/feb/05/simm-glenister-mad-sdogs-sky I don't have Sky so trying to decide how much effort to put into seeing it. I don't think I've ever seen John Simm in anything disappointing, he seems quite choosy in his roles.
Radio Times' editor Alison Graham seemingly enjoyed it, which surprised me because she hates most sorts of things. I have my doubts because it is a Sky1 drama, and that never normally bodes well, but I'll be checking it out for sure.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Wait I don't understand. Are people under the impression that the things the top gear presenters say are somehow off the cuff and not entirely scripted beforehand? You're acting like Richard Hammond was sitting there thinking "this is it, this is my time to let everyone know how poo poo those loving mexicans are, I just have to wait for a natural opening in the improvised conversation about cars...!"

Someone wrote that line (possibly Hammond himself) and somebody saw it and somebody approved it. The problem isn't just the idiot presenters, it's more systemic and insidious than that.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Akuma posted:

Wait I don't understand. Are people under the impression that the things the top gear presenters say are somehow off the cuff and not entirely scripted beforehand? You're acting like Richard Hammond was sitting there thinking "this is it, this is my time to let everyone know how poo poo those loving mexicans are, I just have to wait for a natural opening in the improvised conversation about cars...!"

Someone wrote that line (possibly Hammond himself) and somebody saw it and somebody approved it. The problem isn't just the idiot presenters, it's more systemic and insidious than that.

I presume Top Gear doesn't air live also?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Padje posted:

I presume Top Gear doesn't air live also?
Indeed.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Topgear is recorded on wednesdays. Which is why the news is normally a little behind (or a week behind if it happens before sunday)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I'm guessing one of their producers will get it in the neck but knowing management they'll cover their backs and it'll probably be blamed on an AP/other jr staff.

:sigh:

e: :their:

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Akuma posted:

I'm inclined to believe that given the prominence of the show, the stars get to say pretty much what they want.