Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
He said in interview that in high school he used to snitch on classmates who had weed. Everyone here now dislikes him because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Not everyone. A lot of people do it ironically.

The people who do genuinely hate him also love the bad-at-fighting Diaz brothers.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
jones is a lovely person. you really can't get around it

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
"Didn't you lose your last 2 fights? Please don't piss me off, I actually have respect for Ryan. Don't you have a fight scheduled? Focus on yourself instead of weather I'm ready or not? Are you familiar with the strike policy in baseball?"

what a humble down-to-earth guy :allears:

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
God injured my friend so I can step over his hard work and get the title shot.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubba Smith posted:

God injured my friend so I can step over his hard work and get the title shot.

His hard work of waiting nine months

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

His hard work of waiting nine months

He was building up the Rashad Evans brand during those nine months.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

"Didn't you lose your last 2 fights? Please don't piss me off, I actually have respect for Ryan. Don't you have a fight scheduled? Focus on yourself instead of weather I'm ready or not? Are you familiar with the strike policy in baseball?"

what a humble down-to-earth guy :allears:

When you put quotes like that side by side with all of his religiosity, it really makes the Jesus stuff sound more self-aggrandizing than anything else. Not that he means to do it, he just doesn't know any better.

Contrast to Rich Franklin, who seems like a genuinely cool, amiable dude.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Jack of Hearts posted:

When you put quotes like that side by side with all of his religiosity, it really makes the Jesus stuff sound more self-aggrandizing than anything else. Not that he means to do it, he just doesn't know any better.

Contrast to Rich Franklin, who seems like a genuinely cool, amiable dude.

like duncan pointed out, immediately before that prima donna outburst he posted

"Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind." - Christian Larson

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Who gives a gently caress if Jon Jones is a cool dude? He's totally not, but you aren't inviting him to a dinner party, just watch him smash faces and enjoy it.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Jones is a herb who has entertaining, good fights. Enjoy watching him in the cage, enjoy laughing at him outside of it. Do not let one interfere with your enjoyment of the other. You will be a happier mma fan for it.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Thermos H Christ posted:

Who gives a gently caress if Jon Jones is a cool dude? He's totally not, but you aren't inviting him to a dinner party, just watch him smash faces and enjoy it.

Not I. I'll enjoy watching his fights regardless, rooting for or against. I just waffle between irritation and amusement that people who pray like hypocrites are the people most likely to be associated with the religion of Jesus Christ these days.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

fatherdog posted:

Enjoy watching him in the cage, enjoy laughing at him outside of it. Do not let one interfere with your enjoyment of the other. You will be a happier mma fan for it.

This is the best advice.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherdog posted:

Jones is a herb who has entertaining, good fights. Enjoy watching him in the cage, enjoy laughing at him outside of it. Do not let one interfere with your enjoyment of the other. You will be a happier mma fan for it.

I can't enjoy watching him in the cage if it leads to Shogun getting his neck broken by a suplex :(

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
There's too many loving Silvas. Are any of the 10 of them related?

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Pneub posted:

Silva is the Brazilian equivalent of Smith or Johnson.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Pneub posted:

there's a bit more than that

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Pneub posted:

The only ones you need to know are

Anderson Silva, the black guy who is the only man to sucessfully out-troll Chael Sonnen.
Wanderlei Silva, the guy who looks like a LoTR creature but he has some pretty sweet highlight reel KOs.
Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, the only man to KO Fedor

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
So none of the ones that matter are related are related.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bubba Smith posted:

The only ones you need to know are

Anderson Silva, the black guy who is the only man to sucessfully out-troll Chael Sonnen.
Wanderlei Silva, the guy who looks like a LoTR creature but he has some pretty sweet highlight reel KOs.
Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva, the only man to KO Fedor

Thiago Silva, played the bongos on Brandon Vera and may be on his way to either LHW title contender or the replacement for Jardine as gatekeeper. Doubles as being one of the hundreds of Thiago's too.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If his middle name was "Futbol", Thiago would have about the most Brazilian name you could possibly come up with

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Fabio "Fat Wanderlei" Silva is always going to be my favorite Silva brother.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
TMFS2K

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Silva is the most common surname in Brazil. Anderson Silva is equivalent to Andrew Smith.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I know that in UFC and other MMA promotions, there's a rule against manipulation of small joints like fingers, etc. I know there are plenty of good reasons for it and I'm honestly afraid to find out, but... is there precedent for this poo poo happening in the ring? :ohdear:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there a clear winner for longest, most impressive/pathetic ducking of one fight in MMA? I mean we have a whole thread on Fedor ducking Overeem, Diaz ducking Mayhem comes up a lot, is there some clear historical best duck?

Tito Ortiz still hasn't had that boxing match with Dana White.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

LvK posted:

I know that in UFC and other MMA promotions, there's a rule against manipulation of small joints like fingers, etc. I know there are plenty of good reasons for it and I'm honestly afraid to find out, but... is there precedent for this poo poo happening in the ring? :ohdear:

Well I know there's records of a Pancrase champ from ancient Greece who would just break fingers until he won each match. Maybe they didn't want anyone getting any bright ideas?

Pneub fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 7, 2011

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006
While we're on the topic, it's common for guys at my Jiujitsu school to crank on eachother's wrists, is that illegal in MMA?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LvK posted:

Broken fingers rarely actually affect the match, but they result in the fighter being laid up for weeks and months afterwards, which means less fights.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

One thing I've always wondered for the guys that are just starting out and make very little money - how do they survive? It seems as if the costs of just getting themselves stitched up and rehabilitated after a fight (if they took a beating) would cost far more than how much they'd make from their first few fights. Do they get any sort of medical coverage by the company or is it like pro wrestling where they are considered independent contractors and have to fend for themselves? Do they try to fit in fight training time during their day jobs?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

One thing I've always wondered for the guys that are just starting out and make very little money - how do they survive? It seems as if the costs of just getting themselves stitched up and rehabilitated after a fight (if they took a beating) would cost far more than how much they'd make from their first few fights. Do they get any sort of medical coverage by the company or is it like pro wrestling where they are considered independent contractors and have to fend for themselves?

In New Jersey (and I think most states), promoters are required to carry event insurance, so any injury that you incur during an actual fight is covered. Injuries during training are not.

quote:

Do they try to fit in fight training time during their day jobs?

This is the case for most lower level guys. A lot of them teach at the schools they train at for extra cash, most do some kind of part-time or contract work or other things that let them set their own hours.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

fatherdog posted:

In New Jersey (and I think most states), promoters are required to carry event insurance, so any injury that you incur during an actual fight is covered. Injuries during training are not.

This is the case for most lower level guys. A lot of them teach at the schools they train at for extra cash, most do some kind of part-time or contract work or other things that let them set their own hours.

Thanks for the quick answers!

I remember back when I first read a bit on MMA I saw fight purses of like $1500 or less for some of the lower guys (that's been years ago and obviously MMA has blown up since then) but it made me somewhat feel bad for these guys that are getting their faces pushed in and limbs injured in fights and usually walking away with less than 5 grand for it. Add to that the schedule of only like three or four fights a year and I couldn't see how these guys could survive without being a top star or having sponsorship money.

I guess it's similar to an indie wrestler working for 50 dollars a show (or not getting paid at all) when they first start out 'paying their dudes'. Both are pretty depressing to read about but MMA moreso since the fights are legit.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Add to that the schedule of only like three or four fights a year and I couldn't see how these guys could survive without being a top star or having sponsorship money.

There's also the fact that even guys on local shows usually do have sponsors.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

While we're on the topic, it's common for guys at my Jiujitsu school to crank on eachother's wrists, is that illegal in MMA?

it is illegal to touch another man's hand, so it is difficult to crank the wrist

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
what if you feel safe in their embrace and just dont ever wanna let go

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wristlocks are legal, just uncommon.

Gomi Pile
Jan 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Big Bob Pataki posted:

what if you feel safe in their embrace and just dont ever wanna let go

that's fine. but you aren't allowed to hold hands.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
of course not what am i a human being

but his arms are so strong yet comforting, like a lioness protecting her cub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
How much does it cost a bar to show a PPV?